• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Dreamcast - Appreciation and Emulation Thread

K.N.W.

This is my first post here on neogaf, and I'm gladly using it to say that I loveee my dreamcast!!!! I just bought 3 months ago, and I played Shenmue, T.R. : Chronicles , RE: code veronica and currently I'm playing Skies of Arcadia.

Guys, can you suggest me some good titles?? (Possibly not rare or expensive ones =) )

Mzo

This is my first post here on neogaf, and I'm gladly using it to say that I loveee my dreamcast!!!! I just bought 3 months ago, and I played Shenmue, T.R. : Chronicles , RE: code veronica and currently I'm playing Skies of Arcadia.

Guys, can you suggest me some good titles?? (Possibly not rare or expensive ones =) )

I haven't kept up with prices on the stuff I have, but I will assume that Crazy Taxi is still cheap and still awesome.

Stylo

While technically a Dreamcast game, get Jet Set Radio on Steam. Best version of the game and one of DC's finest.

IrishNinja

Funnily enough, I'm Irish. Are you me?

depends...how do you feel about Decap Attack?

i debated, then ordered cause a) it won't be out till the years end and b) if im still struggling i can prolly sell it for more, as an option. i really liked the Shenmue one and this one looks neat, based on fan voting last year i figure NiGHTS might be their next.

I haven't kept up with prices on the stuff I have, but I will assume that Crazy Taxi is still cheap and still awesome.

It is! 2 isn't too bad either...the DC scene is mostly expensive on the capcom side, minus some imports & real gems. if you look around (read: forums, not ebay) i swear you can get most of the ones people list for $10 or less.

Tain

It's an amazing game, but I was never great at Crazy Taxi. I got Awesome (10k) for the first time in 2010. The jokes, they write themselves.

I expect to return in 2020.

Cafeman

Something must have clicked in my Crazy Taxi playing, because I not only beat 10k (my goal), I earned over $12,000 Crazy dollars last night, playing as BD Joe. Probably the longest game I ever played (of CT). The game rocks! I can't imagine it with a different soundtrack.

Persona7

Banned
Something must have clicked in my Crazy Taxi playing, because I not only beat 10k (my goal), I earned over $12,000 Crazy dollars last night, playing as BD Joe. Probably the longest game I ever played (of CT). The game rocks! I can't imagine it with a different soundtrack.

I usually just turn it off, lol. After so many years of playing the game the soundtrack started grating my nerves a few years ago.

baphomet

Someone tell me exactly what I need to run a Dreamcast into an xrgb mini. I'm still confused even after reading about the hanzo and kenzei(sp?).

IrishNinja

Someone tell me exactly what I need to run a Dreamcast into an xrgb mini. I'm still confused even after reading about the hanzo and kenzei(sp?).

do you want the option of RGB for games that don't support VGA or do you care?
me, i had a good VGA box so i found a dude at SHMUPs forum who modded it for RGB & a SCART cable, so happy i went with that option.

baphomet

do you want the option of RGB for games that don't support VGA or do you care?
me, i had a good VGA box so i found a dude at SHMUPs forum who modded it for RGB & a SCART cable, so happy i went with that option.

Yea I just heard back from beharius who does the hanzo boxes. I placed an order for a kuro and a kenzei. I'm still not 100% sure of what this is going to let me do though. I want to be able to input the 480p VGA signal into the mini as well as rgb for games that don't support 480p. Hopefully this stuff will allow me to do just that.

Also Tim has those SMS FM boards in stock finally. I'm going to be placing an order tomorrow if you want to combine shipping with me and possibly a few others.

IrishNinja

^tempting..PM me a ballpark quote when you can, im kinda strugglin right now though!

and yeah, beharius is a good dude & made it clear that you should be able to do all that with the combination of those two, as he told me before.

Persona7

Banned
I have a cardboard box filled with unopened PS3/360/Wii games, a massive GOG and steam backlog, several in progress games and yet here I am playing Tony Hawk 2 on my Dreamcast.

Just ordered Headhunter and Shadowman.

Headhunter is supposed to be some weird mix of Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid and some open-ish environments.

Intriguing, you just don´t get games like this anymore !

Persona7

Banned
YAH YAH YAH YAH

GS3BY0t.gif

Headhunter is supposed to be some weird mix of Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid and some open-ish environments.

I liked Headhunter at the time. The sequel on PS2 and Xbox was disappointing.

I have a cardboard box filled with unopened PS3/360/Wii games, a massive GOG and steam backlog, several in progress games and yet here I am playing Tony Hawk 2 on my Dreamcast.

One of the better versions of 2 for sure. I liked it on Dreamcast.

kunonabi

Headhunter is pretty fun especially in the beginning when your earning new equipment. The story and humor is pretty good too if like stuff like the original Robocop.

Shadowman is amazing but be prepared to put some time and effort into it.

I liked Headhunter at the time. The sequel on PS2 and Xbox was disappointing.

Headhunter is pretty fun especially in the beginning when your earning new equipment. The story and humor is pretty good too if like stuff like the original Robocop.

Shadowman is amazing but be prepared to put some time and effort into it.

I loved it when Western developers tried to make *insert famous japanese game* but with a twist (another example would be the original Soul Reaver to OoT ) so I guess both will be right up my alley.

I just have to find my VGA box first D: !

baphomet

I've heard SMS FM mod is possible on a power base setup. Know anything about that Bapho?

Only ones I've ever seen like that were with a custom power base converter made with the FM chip. To my knowledge it isn't possible on an actual power base converter. I have never looked it up though.

televator

Only ones I've ever seen like that were with a custom power base converter made with the FM chip. To my knowledge it isn't possible on an actual power base converter. I have never looked it up though.

Thanks for answering! Custom power base, eh? Too bad it doesn't work on the real one. Hmm...

Hey guys so I'm beginning my foray into Dreamcast collecting after pining for one so long in the wild, but alas I had to go ebay route. Anywho I have a few questions regarding VGA boxes.

So (seeing as though VGA is a video cable only) sound is outputted via a 3.5mm jack correct? is this inferior audio to composite connection or will it be up to stereo par (I doubt its worst than composite stereo but just want to make sure!)?

Also I may or may not have the opportunity to acquire Gunbird 2....is it worth it? :)

I used to have a Dreamcast, four controllers, 2 lightguns, and about every game I wanted. A couple years ago the Dreamcast broke, I got pissed and just sold it all. Finally decided to dive back in tonight:

I couldn't pass up Code Veronica and Time Stalkers. I always wanted to play TS back when the Dreamcast first came out, and I just never got around to it. Soon... Now I need to find a system.

SKINNER!

Banned
Always loved the DC's PAL box. That thick blue case always sticks out compared to the NTSC packaging. They look like pirate copies to me.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Always loved the DC's PAL box. That thick blue case always sticks out compared to the NTSC packaging. They look like pirate copies to me.
They do look cool but after obtaining a few myself I have to agree with what others have been saying; they're WAAYYYYY too fragile.

Hey guys so I'm beginning my foray into Dreamcast collecting after pining for one so long in the wild, but alas I had to go ebay route. Anywho I have a few questions regarding VGA boxes.

So (seeing as though VGA is a video cable only) sound is outputted via a 3.5mm jack correct? is this inferior audio to composite connection or will it be up to stereo par (I doubt its worst than composite stereo but just want to make sure!)?

Also I may or may not have the opportunity to acquire Gunbird 2....is it worth it? :)

You shouldn't have any issues, but if you're really concerned about it, Some VGA adapters have RCA audio output: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HPU96FI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Gunbird 2 is pretty good. I'm not a huge Psikyo fan but I got enjoyment out of it.

kunonabi

how do the dc versions of the resident evil games stack up to the gamecube versions?

Dc version of 2 is better than the gc one(more content, better visuals). The button mapping is screwed up in the dc version of 3 so I stick to the gc version despite the DC's exclusive costume.

I don't play CV so I wouldn't know. I assume the button layout is better on the gc since the DC version's is screwed up.

Top Bottom