• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Dreamcast - Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Illbleed has a cult following... I guess it's the Deadly Premonition of its time. But yeah, it's pretty pricey for what you're getting.

televator

the controls are really weird but it usually stops bothering me after a while.

I've tried for hours to get past this heavy platforming section to no avail. What really rubs the salt in is that if you fuck up a jump, you gotta start the whole course over again

Tinzo

Banned
You need to do the matchstick mod.

DCBoot_loesung.jpg

wow if that helps!!!!
i try it

wow if that helps!!!!
i try it

It helps a lot, I fixed my pal DC last summer and it's been running fine since 99% of the time, I don't think any DC is perfect for not hainvg random resets.

To note, NTSC models you pull the pins forward to the front of the case, PAL models you push them back, no idea why they changed the design to do that but if you go the wrong way you will make reset problems worse.

Persona7

Banned
Game looks pretty out there. One of my local stores has had two copies of it for $40 sitting there for at least a month now. They'll usually lower their prices if they have something sit there for too long. Looks weird enough if they drop the price a bit, I'll grab it.

It is really obscure and obtuse but it truly is a strange and unique game. It was going to be remade on the original xbox and a sequel was in the works but the studio merged with a larger company and shortly after the CEO and head of the studio died of a heart attack.

Why am I the only one here with no complaints about the control layout in Resident Evil 3? I own every main game in the series (besides Revelations), and I've never had any problems with hitting the wrong buttons in 3...and I recently played through a few of the games including that, too. Zero problems with the default layout.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I received my Kuro VGA box in the mail today. Ran it through some quick tests with Bangai-O and Artemio's video test suite, and it looks like everything checks out. Color brightness and contrast look OK but I want to do a side-by-side comparison with my Retrobit branded VGA box sometime just to see if there's any differences in how they handle 480p content.

Kind of wish it had a full enclosure and a 3.5mm jack for audio instead of RCA jacks, but I'll live. There's also labeled sections on the circuit board where scanline switches would be mounted on a Hanzo, so it's clearly built with the same parts.

Tonights pickups:

Soul Reaver and Soul Calibur essentially cost me $3. A friend and I have kind of made friends with the owner of a local resale shop. I picked up an NES system and Super C for $3 at a garage sale last weekend. I told him he could have them for the $3 I paid, he told me I could pick out a couple games if I wanted instead. So, I did.

baphomet

I received my Kuro VGA box in the mail today. Ran it through some quick tests with Bangai-O and Artemio's video test suite, and it looks like everything checks out. Color brightness and contrast look OK but I want to do a side-by-side comparison with my Retrobit branded VGA box sometime just to see if there's any differences in how they handle 480p content.

Kind of wish it had a full enclosure and a 3.5mm jack for audio instead of RCA jacks, but I'll live. There's also labeled sections on the circuit board where scanline switches would be mounted on a Hanzo, so it's clearly built with the same parts.

I received my kenzei today as well. My kuro isn't here and it doesn't seem to want to work with my VGA modded Dreamcast. I'll get to test everything when my kuro arrives from turkey. Yours ship from there as well? My Kenzei came from San Francisco.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I received my kenzei today as well. My kuro isn't here and it doesn't seem to want to work with my VGA modded Dreamcast. I'll get to test everything when my kuro arrives from turkey. Yours ship from there as well? My Kenzei came from San Francisco.
Yeah. There's like a 3-week gap in tracking where the package's location was undocumented, too. Somewhere in the hand-off from Turkey to USPS, the thing just apparently got stuck in limbo. Arrived in an extremely beat-up box with a "Sorry for the damage!" notice from USPS, the first of its kind I've ever seen. Kind of bizarre.

Seems like the device works fine, though.

baphomet

Eh, that sucks. I'm hoping mine shows up in a few weeks. I almost bet if I had gone with a hanzo instead it would have shipped from San Francisco as well. It would have been worth the extra $10 just for that.

I took a look at the build quality and it seems good. Unlike the mak sync strike that also showed up today. I'm surprised that thing even worked. Half soldered connections and just a super shitty job overall. It was bad enough it changed my mind about getting a mak super gun. I went back over every solder connection just for piece of mind.

As I mentioned in an earlier post I had the potential to pickup some games today....

Dreamcastgamesmay2014_zps815a65f9.jpeg

Did I do good for my first foray into Dreamcast games?

koopas

Thanks. Can't wait to try Gunbird 2 and all the fighting games though I really wish I had an the official arcade stick to play it!
Gunbird 2 is definitely the gem there. Man I remember when the DC versions of Marvel vs Capcom used to command top dollar. Now not so much

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Gunbird 2 is definitely the gem there. Man I remember when the DC versions of Marvel vs Capcom used to command top dollar. Now not so much

I've always wondered, though: is the DC version of MVC1 still the best? I know it came out on XBLA, but I'm not sure if that version was a better port or had some reason to prefer it over the DC release. I'm kinda guessing not, though.

Yeah pretty excited. Really want to delve into SF Alpha 3 after hearing about world tour mode or what not really interesting concept!

Also If I were to say import a dreamcast official arcade stick would it work on my US dreamcast system? (I've never encountered region locked controllers but just want to make sure) Might be a worthwhile investment.

koopas

I've always wondered, though: is the DC version of MVC1 still the best? I know it came out on XBLA, but I'm not sure if that version was a better port or had some reason to prefer it over the DC release. I'm kinda guessing not, though.
Now I may be wrong on this, but I seem to remember some fuss about the hd versions being cropped for 16:9 support.

Danny Dudekisser

Now I may be wrong on this, but I seem to remember some fuss about the hd versions being cropped for 16:9 support.

Gross. All I remember hearing was that the Iron Galaxy ports were kinda blurry. Which is definitely a buzzkill.

I should probably just hang on to my DC copy of MVC, I guess.

Daingurse

Tonights pickups:

Soul Reaver and Soul Calibur essentially cost me $3. A friend and I have kind of made friends with the owner of a local resale shop. I picked up an NES system and Super C for $3 at a garage sale last weekend. I told him he could have them for the $3 I paid, he told me I could pick out a couple games if I wanted instead. So, I did.

Man, went to a local videogame store that was mostly barren as far as Dreamcast stuff goes, and what was there was overpriced. Soul Calibur and Soul Reaver for $3 is ridiculous, I'm so salty lol.

Dreamcast version has an exclusive 4 player mode crossover battle mode

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty

there is an option for 4:3

XBLA is the preferred version now because it's arcade perfect and everyone has sticks for current consoles, plus the online is some of the best out there

televator

So the only way to order these is to post in that assembler thread? Is this the only line of boxes with a 15 khz switch?

kunonabi

Why am I the only one here with no complaints about the control layout in Resident Evil 3? I own every main game in the series (besides Revelations), and I've never had any problems with hitting the wrong buttons in 3...and I recently played through a few of the games including that, too. Zero problems with the default layout.

the original button layout is better for speed runs and there was no good reason to just remove it entirely. The original run/action setup is pretty much the standard for all survival horror games. The change has no beneficial purpose which makes it even more ridiculous.

Toxa

Yeah, I was pretty happy to find one so quickly and easily, and in nice condition. They had one previously that I looked at, but it was too beat up. They actually had Soul Reaver that day also for I think $5, should have grabbed it then 'cause it's gone now. Common enough I'm sure it won't take long to pop up again, hopefully.

I have played all the Soul Reavers before. Still haven't played the original LoK, but I have it for PSX, so one of these days I'll get to it. I actually already have Soul Reaver for PSX as well, but now that I have a DC I won't waste time with it.

The first Soul Reaver was absolutely amazing at the time. I'd never played anything like it as far as story and voice acting went. I don't know if it has held up after all these years. Like most early 3D games, I'd imagine the camera could suck by today's standards.

And, yeah, character models are way better on DC than PC. Hastily grabbed from youtube video:

TxASeTS.jpg

noami hardware was way ahead any hardware , way above pc !

televator

As much as I hate the DC controller, I remember looking down at that screen while playind a crap ton of resident evil games and smiling... or frowning when I'm low on health... it was neat that way, is what I'm saying.

Anyway, I just got an email confirmation for my Kuro VGA order. Feels good.

baphomet

As much as I hate the DC controller, I remember looking down at that screen while playind a crap ton of resident evil games and smiling... or frowning when I'm low on health... it was neat that way, is what I'm saying.

Anyway, I just got an email confirmation for my Kuro VGA order. Feels good.

What are you going to be plugging the VGA into? You know if it's a xrgb mini you'll need the Kenzei or a sync combiner as well.

petran79

Banned

only good CPS2 DC conversions were MvC1 and SFIIX

for offline play you can play the DC version too since process is much faster.
dont have to wait for Xbox to load, game to connect online etc. just pop the disc and you are set!

Naomi 2D fighters like MvC2 and CvsSNK were arcade perfect and are still the best.
for CPS3 conversions only SFIII New Generation and Second Impact
Third Strike has many issues

televator

What are you going to be plugging the VGA into? You know if it's a xrgb mini you'll need the Kenzei or a sync combiner as well.

I have an older plasma tv with a VGA input. That's what i used run my DC on with the old VGA box. My main set doesn't have one though, so that will need a converter. Im not big on upscalling and I have my CRT for scanlines so I don't use an XRGB.

I was originally thinking about an HDMI converter but I think a component converter will be more versitile if I wanna switch between the main plasma and the CRT.

Danny Dudekisser

Question:

With the games that don't support a VGA box, can I use an RGB cable instead, or am I stuck with S-video? If RGB works... well, that'd be dandy.

Kimppis

Man, been playing Skies of Arcadia over the ol' VGA box the last week . . .

tumblr_mlffvfLQAP1ryy5v4o1_400.gif

Don't know why I've been putting this play-thru on the backburner, falling in love with the game all over again, and this is the best I've ever seen it look.

Damn you! :( For some reason the PAL version of Skies of Arcadia doesn't support VGA box (is there any way around it? CODE Veronica is the same. RE2 and 3 support VGA just fine. Makes sense, right? :/), so it looks pretty rough on my HD TV and it's not that impressive to begin with. Screw that, though. The game is excellent and the soundtrack rocks. Playing it for the first time.

IrishNinja

Question:

With the games that don't support a VGA box, can I use an RGB cable instead, or am I stuck with S-video? If RGB works... well, that'd be dandy.

you can if you have it, again that's how i play RGB stuff, vita a modified VGA switch. most boxes have s-video backup but i don't have anything that accepts that anymore.

Do any of you still play online dreamcast games? Phantasy star online or Quake? I am wondering if it's worth the time and money to set up a PC-DC server. Are there still people playing?(talkin about the private servers :p)

Danny Dudekisser

you can if you have it, again that's how i play RGB stuff, vita a modified VGA switch. most boxes have s-video backup but i don't have anything that accepts that anymore.

Rad.

I've had Bangai-O on my shelf, unopened for like... half a decade because I don't want to play it with S-video.

Persona7

Banned
I totally forgot about this, I wrote it down on a notepad and forgot about it and then just saw it mentioned on the internet again.

Elysian Shadows is an indie 2D RPG being developed for Windows, OS X, Linux, Android, iOS, Ouya and Sega Dreamcast. We fuse aspects of 16-bit classical RPGs such as Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, and Final Fantasy, with a highly stylized, modern vision by using dynamic lighting, physics, and audio engines along with swapping between 2D and 3D perspectives. Our goal is to create a "next-gen" 2D RPG in terms of gameplay, graphics, and audio while still remaining true to the games that inspired us to become developers.

http://elysianshadows.com/game/information/

https://twitter.com/elysian_shadows

It says they have a kickstarted planned for the summer, this looks interesting.

and about 4x4evolution, there is a revival project : https://sites.google.com/site/4x4evoupdates/

I hate seeing DC games in DVD cases, just annoys the hell out of me...

photo%201%20%283%29.JPG

Jewel Cases please
photo5ia.jpg

Anyway..my stuff.

photo%203%20%283%29.JPG

photo%204%20%282%29.JPG

photo%205%20%282%29.JPG

photo%201%20%282%29.JPG

A mix of retail and burned games

photo1tha.jpg

PSO for life

photo%203%20%282%29.JPG

photo2og.jpg

SA 2 on the big screen
photo%201.JPG

photo%203.JPG

photo%202.JPG

One thing that annoys me though, when using VGA, if the little plug connected to the dreamcast isn't snug, it messes with the colors and stuff. Can be a real pain in the ass having to adjust it at times. I have a question though, I really want to convert the VGA into HDMI for convience, anybody have a converter they recommend? I've had my eye on two so far

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006FILNV6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006JW6L7O/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Teknoman

I wish I had the jewel case for Resident Evil 2, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Now if there was some place that sold cases only for a decent price, i'd switch in a heartbeat.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
*sigh*

time to play soul calibur again

i keep reliving my life as it was in the dreamcast era

I started a replay of Tokyo Extreme Racer 2 on my DC a month or so ago, then my DC started having laser issues so I finally started messing around with NullDC and now I'm slowly replaying all of my games in Null-DC on my PC after I rip them slowly one by one.

Yeah, I'm reliving the DC era too...

Now if there was some place that sold cases only for a decent price, i'd switch in a heartbeat.

I just make them myself if I can't find the case....

I use to have a pile of this ugliness

photo2yof.jpg

photo3bob.jpg

But with the program Cover Pro, it makes it so easy to make your own as long as you have a color printer.

photo4ah.jpg

photo12yz.jpg

The only dead giveaway is that there is the obvious missing booklet that comes on the inside, otherwise, its really helps feel the void of that authentic look

photo22sr.jpg

This thread is strange to me. People are having issues finding dc's? Skies of arcadia and canonspike for $60-50? Paying $50 for a new dc no vmu and no games?

I must have been missing something because I have a closet filled with dreamcast, some new, some used, some pal. I just figured no one really cared to buy these things.

This thread is strange to me. People are having issues finding dc's? Skies of arcadia and canonspike for $60-50? Paying $50 for a new dc no vmu and no games?

I must have been missing something because I have a closet filled with dreamcast, some new, some used, some pal. I just figured no one really cared to buy these things.

The guy I mentioned previously in here that owns a game store has a stack of DC systems. Says nothing Dreamcast sells for shit. He's had a Power Stone 2, Shenmue, and Skies of Arcadia sitting there a little bit cheaper than eBay prices for forever as well.

Top Bottom