• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Dreamcast - Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Dumb question here:

I'm putting a dreamcast in a New Net City cabinet with controls through the jamma. It looks great, but since the battery is dead I have to set the date/time every power up. I can't seem to make it past that screen. What button do I hit once "select" is highlighted? I though I remembered it being A but I could be wrong.

I've heard that the controller will not initialize properly if there's something wrong with it also. So I may have to connect the 6th button to the cabinet, since the jamma board only goes 5 buttons.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Dumb question here:

I'm putting a dreamcast in a New Net City cabinet with controls through the jamma. It looks great, but since the battery is dead I have to set the date/time every power up. I can't seem to make it past that screen. What button do I hit once "select" is highlighted? I though I remembered it being A but I could be wrong.

I've heard that the controller will not initialize properly if there's something wrong with it also. So I may have to connect the 6th button to the cabinet, since the jamma board only goes 5 buttons.
why not just get a new battery? aren't they like $3 at any CVS?

Hey DCgaf I was wondering on what you guys think of maken X. I bought the game new off amazon and started playing it about a month ago. First few levels were fun but I have yet to return to it since(I got stuck on this one level, very annoying :p) . Was wondering if it's worth continueing.

Few minor things about the DC RE2 version I notice when playing it (been at it again the other day and from a few months back)

The FMV video's are poorly compressed and also have a case of slightly crushed blacks, not a deal breaker but they can really look muddy in places especially the first part to claires intro.

The game is higher res but the backgrounds still seem to be PSX resolution for RE2, but anything polygon based is in 620x480 now.

VMU is nice to show you HP and ammo counts without pausing.

It's the Dreamcast! RE2 is nice and crisp using a VGA box.

Teknoman

Hey DCgaf I was wondering on what you guys think of maken X. I bought the game new off amazon and started playing it about a month ago. First few levels were fun but I have yet to return to it since(I got stuck on this one level, very annoying :p) . Was wondering if it's worth continueing.

I think it is. I havent beaten it myself, but if you're a fan of SMT Kaneko art, and Shoji Meguro's music + general Atlus apocalyptic strangeness, i'd say keep going.

coughlanio

So...yeah, got some stuff in today, all the way from Germany.

30lb box, wasn't expecting it to be so heavy.
jqi3W2t.jpg

Brand new, official, Dreamcast Race Controller.
QI4VAE5.jpg

Space Channel 5, of course.
UV8FXFr.jpg

VMUs!
e2BV0b8.jpg

Yep, that's 50 sealed copies of MSR. Including 40 sealed in an original shipping box.
CYa83pr.jpg

SKINNER!

Banned
How come there's A LOT of sealed Dreamcast games kicking around? Were they all retrieved from some abondoned warehouse or something? Was looking for a copy of Jet Set Radio online and almost decided on picking up a fresh sealed copy for only a couple of £ higher than a used copy but I couldn't bring myself to break the seal when it arrives as I really want to play the game :(

Reicast is an amazing emulator, still super early but the fact that my OUYA can play sonic adventure 2 in 1080p at 15-30fps with minimal graiphcal glitches is stunning, PSO v2 used to run at 20-30 fps but the latest builds seem to have dropped it to a slightly unplayable rate.

Daytona usa 2001 runs on it but the sky is black and the draw distance is short, but it's fully playable! it can only get better.

So...yeah, got some stuff in today, all the way from Germany.

Any idea if the MSR versions are first print? the first run of the game had some big glitches in it including the driver missing his arms randomly when loading a race and that even if you lost a tournament at the end of a chapter you still won and progressed, sega allowed people to send in their copy to exchange it for free with an updated build, bet that cost them some money.

I sadly have two early revisions.

coughlanio

Any idea if the MSR versions are first print? the first run of the game had some big glitches in it including the driver missing his arms randomly when loading a race and that even if you lost a tournament at the end of a chapter you still won and progressed, sega allowed people to send in their copy to exchange it for free with an updated build, bet that cost them some money.

I sadly have two early revisions.

Just opened one and it's revision:

MK-51022-0146SB

Which apparently is the final revision. Is this version rarer, or?

Just opened one and it's revision:

Which apparently is the final revision. Is this version rarer, or?

no idea, but I will check my discs after work when I can dig them out and take a look.

I own a launch day copy and a copy which came with my 2nd DC from ebay about 4 years ago.

coughlanio

How come there's A LOT of sealed Dreamcast games kicking around? Were they all retrieved from some abondoned warehouse or something? Was looking for a copy of Jet Set Radio online and almost decided on picking up a fresh sealed copy for only a couple of £ higher than a used copy but I couldn't bring myself to break the seal when it arrives as I really want to play the game :(

If you intend on buying a game to play, might as well go for a good used copy, leave the sealed copies for the collectors who are going for a full sealed collection, which is a silly thing to do IMO.

emb

If you intend on buying a game to play, might as well go for a good used copy, leave the sealed copies for the collectors who are going for a full sealed collection, which is a silly thing to do IMO.
I agree. It's hard to resist when it's only slightly cheaper though. I get sick pleasure from opening a brand new Dreamcast game.

SKINNER!

Banned

Yup. I agree. Don't usually go for sealed games and don't understand people who pay crazy money and collect them. But like emb stated, it was only a few quid more than a used copy and at least it guarantees that it'll be a decent, clean working copy (assuming it isn't a faulty copy) of the game but I couldn't bring myself to break the seal :p Managed to get a used copy with the manual and all the leaflets for around £4 anyway so I'm happy :)

coughlanio

Yup. I agree. Don't usually go for sealed games and don't understand people who pay crazy money and collect them. But like emb stated, it was only a few quid more than a used copy and at least it gaurantees that it'll be a decent, clean working copy (assuming it isn't a faulty copy) of the game but I couldn't bring myself to break the seal :p Managed to get a used copy with the manual and all the leaflets for around £4 anyway so I'm happy :)

Yeah, in my experience there's some really great used Dreamcast dealers online, some I've dealt with before have even put games into brand new Dreamcast boxes, which is great. My only bad experience is whey they try and resurface Dreamcast games, which is pretty much a death sentence for GD-ROMs

petran79

Banned
regarding emulation, which windows/LINUX emulator is the best?

Also which dc games have emulation/speed issues?

I remember ecco the dolphin had gfx issues on nulldc.

Is there any compatibility database like with pcsx2?
Dc emulation fortunately has lower requirements than gc and ps2

Tinzo

Banned
So one day i found my dreamcast in the dost. i order a new gamespad 2 vibration packs memory unit and cabels to only find out my dreamcast is somehow not working like it jused to. It jumps to the dash when it feels like it :( i did clean the leaver clutch and stuff but didn't help :( now i can't enjoy it as much as i did back in the days.

Schlomo

So one day i found my dreamcast in the dost. i order a new gamespad 2 vibration packs memory unit and cabels to only find out my dreamcast is somehow not working like it jused to. It jumps to the dash when it feels like it :( i did clean the leaver clutch and stuff but didn't help :( now i can't enjoy it as much as i did back in the days.

You need to do the matchstick mod.

DCBoot_loesung.jpg

Persona7

Banned
The port the SD adapter plugs into is slow compared to the GD-ROM reader so it does lag and struggle to load games. Some games do run fine though after you get them running.

Dreamshell has some other features to use with the SD card though.

I've been trying to figure out the specific cable that they use to make the SD adapters. Apparently they take a old data cable for a cell phone or PDA and then cut off one end.

Today was a success:

System is in pretty awesome shape. Was $25 for it and one controller, the other three controllers were $5 a piece, VMU was $3. Seemed like a good deal to me. I was hoping to find some more games today, but they didn't have shit.

Really want Soul Reaver. I've seen it there a couple times, so hopefully it pops back in again soon.

You shouldn't have any issues, but if you're really concerned about it, Some VGA adapters have RCA audio output: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HPU96FI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Gunbird 2 is pretty good. I'm not a huge Psikyo fan but I got enjoyment out of it.

Yeah Im planning to go the VGA to HDMI route for maximum resoultion out put potential, and using the VGA box all I have to do for audio apparently is use a audio jack.

If all goes well tomorrow....I may have quite a few solid dreamcast pickups my friends. Will post pics.

IrishNinja

Hero you're killing it lately man, that's about the price i see DC's for on craigslist but the controllers & VMU price is solid, fast finds too! Soul Reaver's great but spoiler: the ending is terrible, haha

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Soul Reaver... as I recall, that game was actually better on Dreamcast than it was on PC. The DC had higher poly models and some other stuff, I think.

I really should pick it up sometime. I've never actually played a game in that series.

IrishNinja

i didn't finish 2, but i recall one really nice thing about that series: they didn't Mega Man you. you kept your powerups/abilities in the next game i wanna say.

user237

Who has used the SD card backup thing?

I wanted to use it to play Skies of Arcadia without the GD-rom noise preceding each encounter, but the port was too slow to run the game well.

I ended up using it to make backups of all my VMU files and then sold it.

Hero you're killing it lately man, that's about the price i see DC's for on craigslist but the controllers & VMU price is solid, fast finds too! Soul Reaver's great but spoiler: the ending is terrible, haha

Yeah, I was pretty happy to find one so quickly and easily, and in nice condition. They had one previously that I looked at, but it was too beat up. They actually had Soul Reaver that day also for I think $5, should have grabbed it then 'cause it's gone now. Common enough I'm sure it won't take long to pop up again, hopefully.

I have played all the Soul Reavers before. Still haven't played the original LoK, but I have it for PSX, so one of these days I'll get to it. I actually already have Soul Reaver for PSX as well, but now that I have a DC I won't waste time with it.

Soul Reaver... as I recall, that game was actually better on Dreamcast than it was on PC. The DC had higher poly models and some other stuff, I think.

I really should pick it up sometime. I've never actually played a game in that series.

The first Soul Reaver was absolutely amazing at the time. I'd never played anything like it as far as story and voice acting went. I don't know if it has held up after all these years. Like most early 3D games, I'd imagine the camera could suck by today's standards.

And, yeah, character models are way better on DC than PC. Hastily grabbed from youtube video:

TxASeTS.jpg

Daingurse

Man, been playing Skies of Arcadia over the ol' VGA box the last week . . .

tumblr_mlffvfLQAP1ryy5v4o1_400.gif

Don't know why I've been putting this play-thru on the backburner, falling in love with the game all over again, and this is the best I've ever seen it look.

Persona7

Banned
the controls are really weird but it usually stops bothering me after a while

I need to find my copy of MSR, I want to play it.

Seik

Banned
I played Rayman 2 for a couple of hours this week.

Still love it, I think it's one of the finest 3D platformers from this era to me. Dreamcast version is the shit, not that I have anything against Revolution but I prefer the OG version.

Daingurse

I played Rayman 2 for a couple of hours this week.

Still love it, I think it's one of the finest 3D platformers from this era to me. Dreamcast version is the shit, not that I have anything against Revolution but I prefer the OG version.

I remember when Rayman 2 on the Dreamcast was one of the most impressive things I'd yet seen in a video game.

Toxa

Dc version of 2 is better than the gc one(more content, better visuals). The button mapping is screwed up in the dc version of 3 so I stick to the gc version despite the DC's exclusive costume.

I don't play CV so I wouldn't know. I assume the button layout is better on the gc since the DC version's is screwed up.

button map sucks on re3 I spent a few minutes in order to find a descent button layout and it seems ther's no 60hz option :( and the VMU do not diplay ammo ...

The game is higher res but the backgrounds still seem to be PSX resolution for RE2, but anything polygon based is in 620x480 now.

yeah the backgound seems to be at the same rez than PSX

dhlt25

been looking at Dreamcast emulation stuff in the past few days due to my old dreamcast controller port not working and I've lost the multi region boot disc. Man this stuff in weird. NullDC is the best emulator but it so god damn picky with format. Only play CDI and nothing else, also there doesn't seems to be any option for save state either. I wish dreamcast emulation was as goos as the PS2

button map sucks on re3 I spent a few minutes in order to find a descent button layout and it seems ther's no 60hz option :( and the VMU do not diplay ammo ...

Back in the day I completed that game every time needed to unlock everything. You can't figure how many times I pressed wrong button after doing a no save run and didn't saved anything from that whole run to count for unlocking shite.

Top Bottom