• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Dreamcast - Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Picked up Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 today. Man, as near perfect as THPS3 and 4 are, 2 holds up really, really well to this day. Gonna have to track down a copy of 2x one of these days.

Saw the DC version of the first one in a store on Thursday. Might go back and get it now, lol.

Picked up Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 today. Man, as near perfect as THPS3 and 4 are, 2 holds up really, really well to this day. Gonna have to track down a copy of 2x one of these days.

Saw the DC version of the first one in a store on Thursday. Might go back and get it now, lol.

I want to pick up 2X as well 2 on DC is quite good!

2X is definitely the best version of 2, and definitely worth getting even if you own 2 on Dreamcast...though I don't personally care much for presentation overhaul for the menus and heads up display.

If you can get the first one cheap, go for it. It's still fun, I think...though every one of its sequels practically makes it irrelevant.

jdeqXBqDMwob8.jpg

I didn't know these kinds of cases exist for this console, I'm used to seeing the jewel cases.

DVD cases exist, but typically for later releases like Triggerheart Excelica and Under Defeat LE. Cosmic Smash had a clear DVD case too.

That case you posted is a custom.
http://www.thecoverproject.net/view.php?cover_id=8290

Trojan X

Banned
Picked this up today:

Was all excited. Got home and realized it's missing disc 1. Fucking lame. The instructions were in it too and I wasn't paying enough attention and didn't notice a disc was actually supposed to go in that spot. Gonna have to return it obviously.

You must for you have just been cheated by the store. I hope they will replace with a complete version or give you your money back.

IrishNinja

I know some people on here aren't big fans of custom paint jobs but anyway, just picked this up from Ebay.

The other is a Skies of Arcadia custom one I picked up last year. Same guy who made both.

never seen either, but tight work all around - congrats man!

televator

I know some people on here aren't big fans of custom paint jobs but anyway, just picked this up from Ebay.

The other is a Skies of Arcadia custom one I picked up last year. Same guy who made both.

Those people can blow it out their asses. I'd Love to get a couple of gamecubes painted. Kids were rough on their gamecubes.

Recall

Yeah as a huge fan of SR1, I bought my DC on the premise that Sega Rally 2 would be amazing. I ended up enjoying it but the framerate did really let it down. I don't have my DC hooked up but I found this:

60 FPS Mode:
At the title screen press Up, A, Down, Down, Left, Right, B, B, Down. A sound should confirm the code.

Can anyone in here confirm that works?

Yes the code works as it removes a lot of textures though it still fails at maintaining it. Fluctuating frame rate to the worst degree.

Has anyone in GAF dipped their toes into the GD-EMU project that one dude launched a little while back? He did a second wave of preorders on July 1st, but it sold out within 12 hours. I don't think it was for me, given the fact it didn't have a menu to select the ISOs.

televator

Has anyone in GAF dipped their toes into the GD-EMU project that one dude launched a little while back? He did a second wave of preorders on July 1st, but it sold out within 12 hours. I don't think it was for me, given the fact it didn't have a menu to select the ISOs.

Yeah I'm ineterested, but I think this stuff is still in its infancy. There also an HDD mod someone is working on. I wanna see where that goes. If I can keep GDROM reading while being able to boot from mass storage, I think that might be preferable.

Yeah I'm ineterested, but I think this stuff is still in its infancy. There also an HDD mod someone is working on. I wanna see where that goes. If I can keep GDROM reading while being able to boot from mass storage, I think that might be preferable.
I am excited too because I've already gone through two GDROM drives. I didn't know about the HDD mod, I'll have to look into that, thanks for the heads up on it.

So I've got my DC keyboard lying around and was wondering if one of those DC to USB adapters (like this or this) might work for using the DC keyboard on a PC or perhaps even an 360 or PS3. Has anyone tried this?

Goody

Just picked up my first Dreamcast in years. Already had Soul Calibur, Chu Chu Rocket and SEGA Marine Fishing picked up from a thrift store. Can someone give me the run down on what I need to hook this up to an HDTV? I know I would have to start with VGA, but doing some searching brings up a VGA box and one that is just a straight VGA cable with audio cables. Recommendations?

Also, is the Dreamcast normally this loud? Not complaining. Just hoping it's the norm.

Teknoman

Just picked up my first Dreamcast in years. Already had Soul Calibur, Chu Chu Rocket and SEGA Marine Fishing picked up from a thrift store. Can someone give me the run down on what I need to hook this up to an HDTV? I know I would have to start with VGA, but doing some searching brings up a VGA box and one that is just a straight VGA cable with audio cables. Recommendations?

Also, is the Dreamcast normally this loud? Not complaining. Just hoping it's the norm.

If you're talking about loading noises, I believe thats normal.

The disc drive noise and drained battery VMU beep are all part of its charm!

People have recommended the Tomee VGA cables but haven't tested them myself, the vga box is the best bet imo since you can toggle between those few games that don't support VGA (Like Gunbird 2) and even attempt to force switch said svideo only games into VGA mode (ymmv). The Hanzo VGA box is probably the best available but pricey, Retrobit has one for around $30 that will do the trick.

Goody

The disc drive noise and drained battery VMU beep are all part of its charm!
Good to know! Now that I know it's a good thing, I can appreciate it. The Dreamcast's got one of my favorite boot ups ever.
People have recommended the Tomee VGA cables but haven't tested them myself, the vga box is the best bet imo since you can toggle between those few games that don't support VGA (Like Gunbird 2) and even attempt to force switch said svideo only games into VGA mode (ymmv). The Hanzo VGA box is probably the best available but pricey, Retrobit has one for around $30 that will do the trick.

Went ahead and went with the Tomee cables. It'll make the mess behind my entertainment center easier to deal with. Gunbird 2 might actually be the only game I'm interested in that doesn't support VGA, so I think I'm good.

Got really lucky at a Goodwill, now I just need to get a Dreamcast so I can actually play them.

I hate you---I mean good job dude!

Good to know! Now that I know it's a good thing, I can appreciate it. The Dreamcast's got one of my favorite boot ups ever.

Went ahead and went with the Tomee cables. It'll make the mess behind my entertainment center easier to deal with. Gunbird 2 might actually be the only game I'm interested in that doesn't support VGA, so I think I'm good.

Understandable, just a simple cable switch when/if you have to play an svideo only game.

Goody

Understandable, just a simple cable switch when/if you have to play an svideo only game.
I've got a set of cables set aside! :)

OK folks, my cables are in the mail, I picked up a second controller today for 5 bucks at a pawn shop, and I just need a VMU. Anything I need to know before I just buy one from eBay?

Persona7

Banned
i got a third party memory card without the screen or buttons so i dont worry about the battery dying

I got a few of these, they work well.

I have a fresh pair of batteries in a VMU I am using right now but I never use it without the controller.

Goody

Got my VGA cable in today, after going out and getting an RCA to 3.5mm adapter for the sound, I am now playing my Dreamcast on my HDTV. The thing looks astounding. This is obvious, of course, but the jump from composite to VGA is ginormous. I have a VMU on its way to me, a few games that I already had (Soul Calibur, Chu Chu Rocket, Sega Marine Fishing) and a growing wishlist with some stuff on it that's nice and cheap (in addition to the high dollar stuff). Very happy camper right now.

IrishNinja

It was fucked up.

I bet if that game came out this decade it'd have the same cult following Deadly Premonition has

what little ive seen of it, i got that impression too, yeah
sucks that i was in on a huge DC lot on another site, where we had a draft going, right? i had to pass on that one for Power Stone 2
i knew it'd be gone before my 2nd draft pick, but at least Dynamite Cop was still onna table

Seik

Banned
Buying a DC for $30 on Craigslist, followed closely by NullDC

Yeah, I can agree with this.

Dreamcast looks stunning, even on a HDTV, thanks to the VGA cable. I'm more of an emulation guy with the Saturn/PSX and all the old school consoles especially because I can't afford a Framemeister and all the cable jazz that I'd need with it.

And GC/Wii/PS2 because I can pull the native resolution to ridiculously good IQ levels.

NullDC was cool to tinkle with, making a back-up of all my games with the broadband adapter and all, but now that it's all done, nothing's better than hooking the beast itself.

Console of the forever. <3

Who played Illbleed? That game was fucked up
Very interesting game, Lots of cool ideas. It Was also a very frustrating game. Unfortunately I didn't save the last guy so I didn't get the good ending. So I will have to replay it. I would like to purchase a real copy but it's so expensive. On another note D3 was also another weird horror game that I loved. DC has some great weird horror games. Gaf are there anymore games like illbleed or D3 on dreamcast?

Top Bottom