• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Dreamcast - Appreciation and Emulation Thread

So I'm playing skies of arcadia and the game transitions to a ship battle and then nothing. The sound plays but there is nothing on screen or on the VMU. Any one know how to fix this? I would hate for it to be a disc problem. I spent a lot of money on the game.

Picked up a Dreamcast to play the games I got at Goodwill last week :D

img_20140719_16330902xqds0.jpg

kunonabi

just ordered Sakura Wars 1-4, El Dorado Gate volumes 5 and 6, Dreamstudio, Hundred Swords, and Vermilion Desert.

I think now that leaves me with Crazy Taxi 2, NBA 2K1, Record of Lodoss War, and the last El Dorado Gate volume to pick up. Might grab a few more visual novels as well.

just ordered Sakura Wars 1-4, El Dorado Gate volumes 5 and 6, Dreamstudio, Hundred Swords, and Vermilion Desert.

I think now that leaves me with Crazy Taxi 2, NBA 2K1, Record of Lodoss War, and the last El Dorado Gate volume to pick up. Might grab a few more visual novels as well.
Sakura Wars 3 is my secret favourite Dreamcast game. If you don't speak Japanese, there's a translation FAQ somewhere on the Internet ( that's how I played it back in the day). It's well worth playing! Sakura Taisen 4 is much shorter and serves as a closer to the series but it's also a lot of fun!

Found out my skies of arcadia disc 1 is broke. Spent $50 on a broken set. I also tested a back up which worked but then my dremacast overheated. Not a good day. ;-;

MisterM

Guys, I'm trying to use NullDC and Jet Set Radio shadows flicker badly and the cars appear semi-transparent and dithered, is there any fix to this?

I've tried Googling and the only thing I've found is to uncomment a line in the shader file, something like color=round(255*..etc. However this line doesn't seem to exist in the file.

Crazy Taxi 1 & 2 work much better but there are a few graphical hiccups. Everything in NullDC is default and I've tried using Per Triangle Sort Method.

I have a 7870XT / i5 3570 with the latest AMD Cat Beta drivers.

Overheated? Is it dirty? If it is try opening it and cleaning it. A compresor and soft brush is my method.

When I bought my Dreamcast it was having resetting issues so I cleaned it out and fixed the connecting pins for the power. It was working fine until I started playing skies. The console now freezes during game play with the sound still playing. There are weird graphical glitches on occasion. The console is also super hot when I touch it. I'm going to clean it out today so we will see what happens.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
does DC + VGA on an HDTV look better than DC + composite on a CRT? because I'm using the latter and I think it looks great

petran79

Banned
does DC + VGA on an HDTV look better than DC + composite on a CRT? because I'm using the latter and I think it looks great

the former is exactly as it is produced in the dreamcast, while the latter adds small parts of image noise

problem with VGA is that the HDTV does not support picture enhancements like in the other inputs. so composite may indeed have better colors and shadows than RGB, but at the cost of sharpness.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
the former is exactly as it is produced in the dreamcast, while the latter adds small parts of image noise

problem with VGA is that the HDTV does not support picture enhancements like in the other inputs. so composite may indeed have better colors and shadows than RGB, but at the cost of sharpness.
thanks. might give VGA a whirl then.

televator

When I bought my Dreamcast it was having resetting issues so I cleaned it out and fixed the connecting pins for the power. It was working fine until I started playing skies. The console now freezes during game play with the sound still playing. There are weird graphical glitches on occasion. The console is also super hot when I touch it. I'm going to clean it out today so we will see what happens.

Thats really strange. You should check the colling system while you're at it. See if the fan works and if the heat sinks are set right.

Thats really strange. You should check the colling system while you're at it. See if the fan works and if the heat sinks are set right.

After cleaning it out this morning and making sure the fan worked I found out that it would't read any disc, retail or burned. So after a bit of research I found out that my laser needed to be adjusted. Once I adjusted the laser everything was fine. Now I can go back to playing skies! :D

Edit: One hour into skies and it freezes.... I just....;-;

petran79

Banned
In my case, DC wouldnt read any discs because the pins didnt make good contact
try the same. either screw the pins better, solder the part below the six holes or try adding some counterweight below the front right side of the daughterboard. I added a small lump of paper. I mean the part where there arent screws. shouldnt be too large, so that the lid can close. Pins lose contact from the activity of inserting discs, closing/opening the lid, moving the dreamcast, generated heat.
Some games like skies of arcadia generate more heat than others, so this facilitates the reset issue.

strangely though, using a UK plug wouldnt allow this at all. Console would just reset.
while with a European plug, DC would be on, even though it wouldnt read discs.

shookones666

Neo Member
My Dreamcast stopped working last night help!

I was playing sonic adventure and when a new stage was loading it froze. Now when I turn it on it shows the dreamcast start up logo screen then turns black but remains on.

Does anyone know why this happened, how to fix it, or if I should just get a new one?

What the hell is going on with yall's Dreamcasts?!

Dreamcasts are prone to this problem where they either start rebooting or display no image for no apparent reason.
It happens to mine (a launch unit) every few years. I usually just disassemble it, carefully clean the dust and reassemble it and the problem is solved. Well, until the next time...

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Random rebooting can often be remedied by padding the closing mechanism so that it makes contact more easily. Somehow that stuff gets pushed apart over time and the system thinks the disc door just randomly opens all the time.

I need to figure out an easy way to remedy dead clock batteries. I was going to swap a working battery and sub-board from a Dreamcast of otherwise-poor condition into another console that's in good shape in every aspect except the battery, but it turns out that the sub-board in question was changed between these two revisions and might not be an easy or safe swap. :/

So I picked up a Dreamcast the other day from a friend at work and I want to grab a VGA box/cable for it. I'm seeing two different kinds and was hoping fellow GAFers could tell me if either one is better than the other:

I'm seeing this Tomee Sega VGA Cable on Amazon for $21.52 on Amazon.

I'm also seeing this VGA Box on eBay for $30.

If I were to buy the actual VGA box I would have to spend extra on an audio cable and VGA cable whereas with the Tomee cable I would have everything I need already, so I'm leaning more towards that. Any suggestions?

mltplkxr

Is anyone familiar with the Treamcast VGA box?

VGA games do not work on my HDTV. The only game that does is Time Stalkers. I don't know if the problem is the VGA box or the DC. S-Video works fine.

So I left it on all day with the top casing off. No freezes until I pick up the controller and a random battle was initiated. I have no idea what to do. I cleaned it out, adjusted the laser. I made sure the those 6 connecting pins where in contact. I took off the top casing to give it more ventilation, I'm running out of options. I'm starting to think that maybe it's a dying laser.

Edit: I'm hearing this weird buzzing sound. It comes in intervals every 6-10 seconds.

Edit 2: So I took everything apart and cleaned every single piece of the damn thing. Readjusted the laser again, left the cover off and propped it up on some cases so the underneath was well ventilated. Put in my retail copy of phantasy star online version 2. Played for 3 hrs straight no problems. After that, I go to try a back up and it wont read the disc. I essentially fixed the problem but now I can't play back ups. :/

IrishNinja

damn that shirt's hot...but first i gotta replace my 9/9/99 orange on black launch shirt! had in L when my roomie jacked it, hoping for medium one day.

SHL23

Banned
Got a copy of Heavy Metal Geomatrix. Game's so awesome. Cool characters, good music, and the gameplay is like the Gundam Extreme Vs games. My new fav DC game

Jesus, at those prices I don't think I could recommend any option other than the Japanese version. I mean, even that's not exactly cheap, but compared to the US version prices... damn.

You'll really just be missing out on story mode dialog if you get the Japanese version. I've never played the English version so I guess I can't really comment on how much of a loss that is. There's nothing else that should really affect enjoyment of the game one way or another.

The board game mode... uh... exists? It's kinda weird in that it's both a board game and the character creation system. There's not really a lot of action during the board portion of it but it's kinda cute for the novelty of the custom characters. Rules are generally pretty straightforward, so while it's definitely the most text-intensive part of the game, you don't really need to understand Japanese. The main setback you'd probably have is not being able to read special attack names for customizing your character.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Are DC game prices on the rise in general? It's been a while since I checked ebay prices of games but Cannon Spike is going for around ~$100 and most other great games in the library are upwards ~$50 or more.

Even my local used shop that I used to build my collection up has hiked up their prices on a lot of DC stuff. I'm just glad I've kept most of my stuff over the years.

Are DC game prices on the rise in general? It's been a while since I checked ebay prices of games but Cannon Spike is going for around ~$100 and most other great games in the library are upwards ~$50 or more.

Even my local used shop that I used to build my collection up has hiked up their prices on a lot of DC stuff. I'm just glad I've kept most of my stuff over the years.

Maybe. Totally anecdotal, but Game Sack's most viewed episodes are their Saturn and Dreamcast episodes. Maybe new audience are catch wind of that Sega Kool-Aid.

Are we starting to run out of GD Roms to sell? Is the supply running short thus jacking up prices? Sega should release blank GDRs and GDR burners for dedicated fans to use and maintain collections.

bigkrev

Hasn't Project Justice been a billion dollars for a while now?

Is the JP version a valid alternative? It has an extra mode anyway that they removed from the western release.

Unless you read Japanese, the added mode is useless.
The only thing you would really be missing is the story in Arcade mode, which 13 year old me who was really into anime at the time thought was great, but is probably terrible.

Mzo

Uhh, wow, consider me surprised. I've had the US version since day 1 and had no idea it was worth that much (same for Arcadia).

It's a great game, though.

Project Justice was hard to find while the Dreamcast was still around. I remember my manager at EBX had hiked up the price of a used copy we had so it cost more than the new SKU.

Seik

Banned
An old friend came at my place yesterday, I hooked up the Dreamcast and we had some fun playing Worms Armageddon and Soul Calibur.

I think I'll let it out for a couple of days. I love me some DC hype. :p

Top Bottom