• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Dreamcast - Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
So, uh... after playing an awful lot of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2x and THPS 3 over the last several months, I'm kinda tempted to buy the first game. Still worth playing, or is it completely obsolete? I know the levels are included in 2x, but they really don't mesh well with the mechanics.

And that soundtrack. So good.

I still have fun with it every once in awhile, but your mileage may vary. Its sequels are definitely much better, of course.

The levels do work better with the mechanics of first game, though, I guess.

I'm really bored, so I might just go play that now.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
lol, I guess I'm just desperate for more. I suppose I could go the other direction, and pick up 4 (which I've never played before.) But this is a Dreamcast thread, so I will desist!

lol, I guess I'm just desperate for more. I suppose I could go the other direction, and pick up 4 (which I've never played before.) But this is a Dreamcast thread, so I will desist!

4 is great, though the larger, open levels with NPCs giving you goals make it feel very different from the first 3.
Tony Hawk's Underground 2 and Tony Hawk's American Wasteland both contain separate Classic modes if you prefer two-minute runs like the first three games.

Nikodemos

Man, I really need to pick up a VMU for Skies of Arcadia. The 4x memcard has a ton of room, but I want the minigame (I also need a second controller, since my current one has its #2 slot filled by a MadCatz RumblePak).

That said, is there a way to mod a VMU with a rechargeable cell? I hate having to constantly buy and swap button cells.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So it's been one year since I made this thread. I've been buying up a LOT of video games within the past year or so. The scope of this has been bigger than I originally intended it to, but I think I'm at least 90%-95% of where I want to be with my retro video game collection.

I think I'm about settled with the Dreamcast. Honestly I was kind of surprised I wound up with as many Dreamcast games as I did. A candle that burns twice as fast burns twice as brightly, I guess. So many great games that came out in such a short time span.

Click here for the full album.

hTDB9wK.jpg

ANmzGHj.jpg

I also do have the fishing controller and the keyboard.

You should definitely get GigaWing 1 & 2 as well, those are very fun games with high replay value, not unlike the masterful Mars Matrix.

Otherwise, that is a fine collection.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
You should definitely get GigaWing 1 & 2 as well, those are very fun games with high replay value, not unlike the masterful Mars Matrix.

Otherwise, that is a fine collection.

Yeah I'm not very good at Mars Matrix, lol. Schmup genre isn't my strongest.

IrishNinja

MM is better but Giga Wang takes way too much hate for being a fun shooter

sure the scoring system is weird, but who's good enough at SHMUPs to play for score?

Timu

Finally got some screenshots in, 1st up Sword of the Berserk. This was taken with my Avermedia using a VGA cable.
i7gRlbrlaHsWE.PNG
ibrEZlkoksa6li.PNG
igJy1maWlU6nL.PNG
iqBgWJA0gpYXA.PNG

Also I hate those ghosts in the last screenshot.

driver116

Dreamcast had some amazing games.

off the top of my head, my favourites:

Tokyo Highway Challenge
Sega GT
MSR
Speed Devils
Sonic Adventure
Toy Commander
Incoming
Crazy Taxi 1/2
Chu Chu Rocket
Dave Mirra
Dino Crisis
Soul Reaver
Quake 3 Arena
Rayman 2
San Francisco Rush 2049
Confidential Mission
Vigilante 8 Second Offense

BIGWORM

Dreamcast had some amazing games.

off the top of my head, my favourites:

Tokyo Highway Challenge
Sega GT
MSR
Speed Devils
Sonic Adventure
Toy Commander
Incoming
Crazy Taxi 1/2
Chu Chu Rocket
Dave Mirra
Dino Crisis
Soul Reaver
Quake 3 Arena
Rayman 2
San Francisco Rush 2049
Confidential Mission
Vigilante 8 Second Offense

DC RUSH 2049 IS DA BES RUSH 2049

komarkaze

I've been lurking this thread for a while and last night, I got the urge to hook up my Dreamcast again. It's the first time hooking it to my plasma TV, and excitedly I saw it had a VGA port, and I was able to find my VGA box for my Dreamcast. Unfortunately, I couldn't find my VGA cable. I ended up using composite cables and loaded up my NESter disk I made a long time ago. Looked and played wonderfully. I'm bugging my friends to see if they have a spare VGA cable I can use. I was blown away when I saw Soul Calibur on a normal TV for the first time in 1999. I was equally impressed when I saw it run in 480p on my old PC monitor a couple years later. I have my Dreamcast collection in my moving boxes ready to play once I get that cable so I can experience it all over again in 480p on a big screen. I hope to finally finish Ecco the Dolphin after all these years. Maybe I'll break out the maracas again.

Picked this up today:

Was all excited. Got home and realized it's missing disc 1. Fucking lame. The instructions were in it too and I wasn't paying enough attention and didn't notice a disc was actually supposed to go in that spot. Gonna have to return it obviously.

NOOO I just realized I'm missing disc 3 from my goodwill find copy...FML!

Defunkled

Finally got my hands on Skies of Arcadia. I'm on vacation down in Pensacola Beach and a local shop had a real nice copy for $30. I'm excited to finally play it!

SKINNER!

Banned
What is GAF's opinion on Zombie Revenge? Worth checking out? Tried about 5 mins of it at a friends house and it looked fine but felt a little clunky controls-wise...something I can maybe put up with.

SHL23

Banned
Waiting on a vga cable I ordered a couple weeks ago... cant wait til it comes in.

Also snagged a sealed copy of heavy metal geomatrix off ebay for 25 bucks. Looks cool and reminds me of the gundam vs games. Wanted to get spawn also but the cheapest copy is like 50 after shipping

SHL23

Banned
got my vga cable in today. so awesome. dreamcast games hold up really well when it isnt displaying through shit composite cables. its like night and day and i feel bad for taking so long to get one. played some power stone, pso, doa2, and soul calibur and they look amazing, probly gonna play skies of arcadia or grandia 2 in a bit.

Persona7

Banned
got my vga cable in today. so awesome. dreamcast games hold up really well when it isnt displaying through shit composite cables. its like night and day and i feel bad for taking so long to get one. played some power stone, pso, doa2, and soul calibur and they look amazing, probly gonna play skies of arcadia or grandia 2 in a bit.

nice selection of games

I got one of those tomee VGA cables for a backup but I have yet to try it out

Timu

Finally got Resident Evil 2 for the Dreamcast for 35 bucks at a trade in store, and man I never felt so happy!
ivGkDEpQNms8E.PNG
ibcPFuRlbNlZIK.PNG
iNs0607h2yNoI.PNG

I busted out my DC the other day to play Power Stone 2 with some buddies. A friend of mine gave me his Phantasy Star Online Ver. 2 copy he found. I have no land line in my house, so I was wondering if there is any website out there that sells the DSL modem for cheap or a cheap knock off that works. I checked ebay but man they are pricey. Also, I remember hearing the official servers are down and that some hacked servers exist and are still populated. Is this true?

Thanks!

SHL23

Banned
I busted out my DC the other day to play Power Stone 2 with some buddies. A friend of mine gave me his Phantasy Star Online Ver. 2 copy he found. I have no land line in my house, so I was wondering if there is any website out there that sells the DSL modem for cheap or a cheap knock off that works. I checked ebay but man they are pricey. Also, I remember hearing the official servers are down and that some hacked servers exist and are still populated. Is this true?

Thanks!

i wouldnt even bother. the servers are dead. even the hacked servers are dead cept blue burst on pc which is on life support

SHL23

Banned
So, how does the DC look on a HDTV? I'm really thinking about getting one on eBay.

if you get a vga cable and get a vga to hdmi converter itll look really good. alot of dc games really hold up well. if you just stick to composite, itll look like ass just like everything else composite on an hdtv

I recently have been playing a ton of Dreamcast. In the past month I picked up Quake 3 Arena, a mouse and a keyboard for under 30 bucks. Quake was like 2 bucks on Amazon and the brand new mouse was 5 and the keyboard was 15 brand new. My other recent pick ups have been factory sealed copies of NHL 2K and Virtua Tennis.

I was shocked when I did amazon searches for Dreamcast games, some of the sellers are still selling new copies of games and they are cheaper then what I was able to find on ebay.

Top Bottom