• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Dreamcast - Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Mzo

The PS2 is a fantastic system with some of the best games of all time, but I still get mad thinking about all the idiots waiting for the PS2 over buying the amazing Dreamcast and trying to justify that first year.

Literally all PS2 had forever was like Fantavision and an MGS2 video.

IrishNinja

The PS2 is a fantastic system with some of the best games of all time, but I still get mad thinking about all the idiots waiting for the PS2 over buying the amazing Dreamcast and trying to justify that first year.

Literally all PS2 had forever was like Fantavision and an MGS2 video.

ya'll hearin this? these are the words of a dude who lived through that era, and was bout it bout it
like no one discovering shit in 2015 remembers this pain, but shit was real...i was using my PS2 to play braveheart, matrix, good the bad & the ugly and propping up my dreamcast pretty much till year 1 ended, and FF X/MGS2/DMC/etc showed up

The UK Resistance lives on.

TRAITOR

*sigh* i know but for real fam who else here in 2015 trynna put heads onto BLUE SKIES FOREVER~

Theonik

*sigh* i know but for real fam who else here in 2015 trynna put heads onto BLUE SKIES FOREVER~
BLUE SKIES LIVE ON IN OUR HEARTS
ebzqOag.gif

Edit:
Oh and this is the picture he was talking about:
http://i.imgur.com/owGEvAF.gif

IrishNinja

Oh and this is the picture he was talking about:
http://i.imgur.com/owGEvAF.gif

yessss that's the one! brilliant, haha

I was Sega for life. You're banned from the SDF, out of the pool!
I was the only person in like the entire county who chose Saturn.

man, i still remember the feeling of saving up my publix grocery bagging $, running to EB to try the new kiosk (why did it have VF instead of Panzer ill never know), hearing the $400 price tag and damn near weeping.

by the time the price drop happened, it felt like the lineup wasn't even trying to pander to my western tastes,,,no sonic, SOR, TJ&E etc. it's crazy that so many of the reasons i was sour grapes/didn't want it in the day are why i love it today though

MikeMyers

man, i still remember the feeling of saving up my publix grocery bagging $, running to EB to try the new kiosk (why did it have VF instead of Panzer ill never know), hearing the $400 price tag and damn near weeping.
Because VF is awesome man.

Stay losing, Battle Arena Toshinden!

When I was younger I remember getting mad at a friend who bought a PS1 instead of a Saturn because I wanted to play Nights so bad.
He made the right choice though. No matter how good a few Saturn games were it was no competition for the PS1.
Of course he just used it to play sports games so watever.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
so I fried the power supply on my VF3 board. it was 100% wired and playable for one sweet, sweet evening, and now it's back to out-of-service status.

i hear model 3 PSUs are just shit and once I verify that the PSU is the source of the problem I'll order the one used for T5 which I guess is better suited to model 3 than the model 3 PSU!

the things I do for love

here's my evidence that it once lived! impossible to get to this screen without everything wired.

oneida

sorry for the double post.

was gonna buy Forza 6 but the universe had other plans.

aLTufoHh.jpg

based local game shops!

oneida

that said, I'm loving the DC stick! the green goblin. it's great! for the first time I'm wondering, are there any dreamcast-to-???? adapters? Saturn would be cool, but seems unlikely

that said, I'm loving the DC stick! the green goblin. it's great! for the first time I'm wondering, are there any dreamcast-to-???? adapters? Saturn would be cool, but seems unlikely

No such adapters that I'm aware of unfortunately. If you like the Goblin's form factor, you could swap the PCB for a multicthulhu and then use RJ45 cables that terminate in Dreamcast and Saturn connectors for use on those two systems (and options to use on many others ). This used to be a popular mod a few years ago.

Theonik

You're saying you never wanted to use the fishing controller on things not the DC?

oneida

No such adapters that I'm aware of unfortunately. If you like the Goblin's form factor, you could swap the PCB for a multicthulhu and then use RJ45 cables that terminate in Dreamcast and Saturn connectors for use on those two systems (and options to use on many others ). This used to be a popular mod a few years ago.
sounds like too much work
You're saying you never wanted to use the fishing controller on things not the DC?
THATS what's missing in my Soul Calibur 2 life

Sorry if this has already been answered but do DC Euro SCART cables work for NTSC consoles? I'm trying to hook a DC up to a SCART to YUV transcoded and then into a 480i CRT, or else of course I would go for VGA.

Sorry if this has already been answered but do DC Euro SCART cables work for NTSC consoles? I'm trying to hook a DC up to a SCART to YUV transcoded and then into a 480i CRT, or else of course I would go for VGA.

I have a Pelican-brand European SCART RGB cable that works great via YUV transcoder. 240p content like Gunbird 2 and Jojo's and SF3 look amazing, but for high-res games I just use the VGA cable instead.

Yes but be aware some games won't work with euro scart.
Ssf2t and sfz3 are two off the top of my head.

Peltz

I have a Pelican-brand European SCART RGB cable that works great via YUV transcoder. 240p content like Gunbird 2 and Jojo's and SF3 look amazing, but for high-res games I just use the VGA cable instead.

Just curious, what monitor/tv are you using for VGA games?

Timu

I still think it's sad that I waited until last year to see Dreamcast games in VGA in person for the 1st time(with my own VGA cables)...I've been missing out for so many years. It also makes me wish PS2, Xbox and Gamecube did VGA as well.

Coda

I still think it's sad that I waited until last year to see Dreamcast games in VGA in person for the 1st time(with my own VGA cables)...I've been missing out for so many years. It also makes me wish PS2, Xbox and Gamecube did VGA as well.

Yeah you have to wonder why those consoles never outputted VGA. Gotta say if there had to be one though I'm glad it was the Dreamcast.

petran79

Banned
nnnnnooooooooo
do any of the kofs on DC support VGA?

Only KOF 2000 and 2002 unfortunately. They're the same as the arcade version

Garou:MOTW supports VGA too but at least it has arranged soundtrack and proper endings, though it lacks animation frames.
Twinklestar Sprites is supported as well

KOF98 Ultimate Match and Last Blade 2 are unsupported.

But for Last Blade you're better off running the Dreamast Neo Geo CD emulator with the arranged soundtrack

Ok thanks, maybe S video is the way to go for DC on an SD CRT.
I use scart for 95% of my games and svid for the 2 I mentioned. Scart/RGB has a very perceiveable increase of quality over svid, I'd still get it. The scart to component devices look fantastic on decent consumer grade crts that have component.

petran79

Banned
How are the load times? Any improvement when playing on DC. I have LB on Neo CD and they're fuckin' atrocious, lmao.

Much faster than NGCD, no comparison! Though not as instant as in Raine emulator.Also it does not strain the DC lens like the official GD-ROM disc

Also another good thing is that the blood is red, in contrast to the Wii version. While LB1 Wii version has red blood.
Same thing with Wii SamSho. SS1 and SS2 have red blood, while SS3 and SS4 have white blood.

Doesn't it depend on the BIOS version? Like if I were to play on a USA system, it would be white regardless of where the game came from? That's how it played out on Neo.

Top Bottom