• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Dreamcast - Appreciation and Emulation Thread

I need to be talked out of ST matching service, help

The only thing that ruins it is it wont do 240p over scart, so you have to deal with the blurry svideo or composite.

I have the game and I still run a patched iso so I can play it in RGB.

Thanks alot capcom with your damn inconsistencies across games.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I won't help you. You should buy it.

Put the money toward the pcb

The only thing that ruins it is it wont do 240p over scart, so you have to deal with the blurry svideo or composite.

I have the game and I still run a patched iso so I can play it in RGB.

Thanks alot capcom with your damn inconsistencies across games.
I think I calmed down and it's back on the backburner, lol

new struggle: how the fuck do I get FV2 to display via VGA? is there some trick to this? I can hear the game, but I'm just getting a black screen otherwise.

AmyS

Streets of Rage 4 cancelled Dreamcast concept art makes its way online

A8St0if.png

reZEHO6.png

SEGA is well aware of the cult following that their Streets of Rage series possesses, so they have tried to resurrect the franchise but it always ends up being canceled for one reason or another. It seems that SEGA had a plan to release Streets of Rage 4, we had the first prove of this by leaked footage that was released a few years ago (you can view it here). The game was to be on the Dreamcast and was being developed by Ancient & SEGA with Yuzo Koshiro returning to do the soundtrack. The game was sadly canceled.

We have finally gotten more information on the canceled project thanks to Yuzo Koshiro posting concept art on his twitter account.

http://segabits.com/blog/2015/08/11...d-dreamcast-concept-art-makes-its-way-online/
https://twitter.com/yuzokoshiro

Dereck

Sonic Adventure 2 seems like one of the more expensive Dreamcast games I've seen in my city. It's around $29.99, and I've seen Soulcalibur priced for $11.99 in three different locations, but it's not surprising, I guess it's because it's just a Dreamcast staple?

Sonic Adventure 2 seems like one of the more expensive Dreamcast games I've seen in my city. It's around $29.99, and I've seen Soulcalibur priced for $11.99 in three different locations, but it's not surprising, I guess it's because it's just a Dreamcast staple?

a lot of the time it's name recognition with these things

sc might be "cheap" because it has been supplanted by its sequels although that is not my opinion sc1 is still the best imo

Can't be glad they canned it when it may have actually turned out completely different if development actually went forward.

You're right. I'm not glad actually. I just like to think I am, it eases the pain xD

sc might be "cheap" because it has been supplanted by its sequels although that is not my opinion sc1 is still the best imo

Still the best, no way around it. I can't stress just out good this game is. Really, really love it to death.

Still play every week with an old-time buddy of mine. If I had to save a single game from oblivion, that would be Soul Calibur.

Can't be glad they canned it when it may have actually turned out completely different if development actually went forward.

you can thank Peter Moore (or someone at SoA) for that, apparently SoA passed on SoR4 because they didn't think it would sell due to the fact they had no idea of the franchise's history.

Anyways, I've been meaning to ask this here, does anyone know why the Dreamcast port of VF3tb was considered "inferior"?

I know Genki was behind it and not AM2, but I've been curious as to the differences between the Arcade Model 3 and Dreamcast release and why the port was criticized. Personally I thought it was a solid port, though a bit...light in mode/options. I also remember hearing somewhere that the Western releases were fixed up a bit for the Dreamcast Launch, though I could be wrong.

oneida

you can thank Peter Moore (or someone at SoA) for that, apparently SoA passed on SoR4 because they didn't think it would sell due to the fact they had no idea of the franchise's history.

Anyways, I've been meaning to ask this here, does anyone know why the Dreamcast port of VF3tb was considered "inferior"?

I know Genki was behind it and not AM2, but I've been curious as to the differences between the Arcade Model 3 and Dreamcast release and why the port was criticized. Personally I thought it was a solid port, though a bit...light in mode/options. I also remember hearing somewhere that the Western releases were fixed up a bit for the Dreamcast Launch, though I could be wrong.
tumblr_nb8hj4jx2c1slig2vo1_1280.jpg

looks worse has frame drops and has shit control options

Wow that is quite the difference, makes me wonder what could have been if AM2 had chosen to work on the Dreamcast version instead of the Saturn version they were apparently making.

TAFK

Don't. Open it up and dispose of the old batteries, but don't replace them with new ones unless you're actually planning to use the VMU on its own for something.

It drains batteries like crazy just from normal Dreamcast play. It's a waste to replace them if you're not ever using the VMU by itself.

The VMU can store save games and the like even without the battery in there? Shit, time to go remove all my batteries.

Also, what cable do all you VGA box users use for sound?

Just got myself a VGA box off of amazon and I have no idea what game to try first... any suggestions?

woodypop

The VMU can store save games and the like even without the battery in there? Shit, time to go remove all my batteries.

Also, what cable do all you VGA box users use for sound?

Just got myself a VGA box off of amazon and I have no idea what game to try first... any suggestions?
I think my first one was Soul Calibur. I remember being floored by the background details in Mitsurugi's stage, and the raindrops in Maxi's stage. The jump from composite to VGA is incredible.

I think my first one was Soul Calibur. I remember being floored by the background details in Mitsurugi's stage, and the raindrops in Maxi's stage. The jump from composite to VGA is incredible.

SC is definitely a VGA showpeice.

Another one is Under Defeat. The level of detail is really high, and VGA really brings it out.
...all things considered though, Under Defeat has been ported to HD consoles and you could just play it on those, lol.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Under Defeat has been ported to HD consoles and you could just play it on those, lol.

If I'm not mistaken, the HD version of Under Defeat had a bunch of issues. Sound bugs, gameplay issues like enemies activating before even being on screen, etc.

My understanding is that the Dreamcast version is still definitely the best.

Wow that is quite the difference, makes me wonder what could have been if AM2 had chosen to work on the Dreamcast version instead of the Saturn version they were apparently making.

VF3 and Shenmue probably should have been released in Japan on both Saturn and Dreamcast, it'd have almost certainly been a good idea financially...

AmyS

I had heard the same thing back in the day. Like the slowdown / framerate drop that happens as the camera sweeps into Shun's boat stage was apparently cleaned up for western release. I can't confirm as I only owned the Japanese version of VF3 tb.

oneida

I had heard the same thing back in the day. Like the slowdown / framerate drop that happens as the camera sweeps into Shun's boat stage was apparently cleaned up for western release. I can't confirm as I only owned the Japanese version of VF3 tb.
no, it's stil there :(
"fight....

... one"

Coda

SC is definitely a VGA showpeice.

Another one is Under Defeat. The level of detail is really high, and VGA really brings it out.
...all things considered though, Under Defeat has been ported to HD consoles and you could just play it on those, lol.

I just picked up Under Defeat. I'm excited to see it in all of its VGA glory.

It wasn't Peter Moore. The way the original story went, I think, is that the guys they pitched Streets of Rage 4 to were so young they didn't even know what Streets of Rage was. It had been a good 6 or 7 years since the last one.

Which, I mean, makes sense, I guess? If you're looking at it from an investor perspective, franchises end for a reason, and this was before anyone had realized you could cash in wholesale on nostalgia.

So some guy comes to you, he's a real low-key kind of guy, he's not really famous like Yuji Naka or Yu Suzuki, and he's like "We made three Streets of Rage games two hardware generations ago, we'd like to make a fourth."

And, I mean, what was the market for 3D brawlers then? You had Fighting Force and...

Uh, Tekken Force...?

I think Yuzo Koshiro is a great guy, a great musician, I think Streets of Rage is a great game franchise, but looking at things from a purely business perspective, I think it makes sense any which way you slice it, even if it was supposedly pitched to a bunch of young newbies with no respect for the classics.

And I feel like Koshiro's time as a minor game dev celebrity also didn't come to pass until enough people on the internet got together and elevated his status. In 2001 or whenever he pitched this Streets of Rage game, I think he was probably largely a nobody to 80% of people who played videogames. I'm sure they liked his music, but they probably didn't necessarily know the guy by name like we do now

Dereck

DreamGAF, don't buy this.

It looks cool, but the problem is that it's cheap. Hardly any of the screws, screw in all of the way, and the ones that you will manage to get to screw in all of the way, will end up stripping the grooves.

My power button isn't even stabilized because the screws for it won't go in all the way into the plastic. Terrible guys. Don't make bad decisions like me, and if I'm guessing correctly, most of you already know not to do this. Next time, I'll just try to find a black Dreamcast somewhere.

Dissociated question,
is the Dreamcast battery supposed to reset if the controller port is disconnected, (the white ribbon).

shanafan

DreamGAF, don't buy this.

It looks cool, but the problem is that it's cheap. Hardly any of the screws, screw in all of the way, and the ones that you will manage to get to screw in all of the way, will end up stripping the grooves.

My power button isn't even stabilized because the screws for it won't go in all the way into the plastic. Terrible guys. Don't make bad decisions like me, and if I'm guessing correctly, most of you already know not to do this. Next time, I'll just try to find a black Dreamcast somewhere.

Dissociated question,
is the Dreamcast battery supposed to reset if the controller port is disconnected, (the white ribbon).

Hmm, sorry to hear about your issues! I remember I bought one of these at a shop, and they installed it for me. I really liked it, and didn't have any issues.

Dereck

I know a guy, I can bring this to him and either I've installed the new case incorrectly (probably), or the new plastic is too fragile to hold the screws in too tight.

One thing I forgot to note is that, I don't have all of the case screws for my Dreamcast, I have all of the internal screws, but I only have 2 case screws, and that is because the Dreamcast that I have,when I got it, the other two screws were gone.

Teknoman

Yeah, I really enjoyed watching each character's Exhibition Videos (katas), especially Kilik's and Maxi's.

Soul Calibur 1 still has the best intro out of all the SC series. Best music too.

If I'm not mistaken, the HD version of Under Defeat had a bunch of issues. Sound bugs, gameplay issues like enemies activating before even being on screen, etc.

My understanding is that the Dreamcast version is still definitely the best.

Really? Hmm...in that case...

Resilient

Guys, I just got into the Dreamcast scene and picked up a used TORO VGA Box. Suddenly, the thing is crapping out on me.

Basically, I need to have the cable of the TORO (the one that connects to the Dremcast) on a bent angle/radius in order for it to work. Otherwise, the blue LED dims, and I don't get a signal. I know the box is working when the blue LED becomes very bright, then obviously I reset the console and the output is coming out.

So, what's up with this thing? It's not getting enough power? Faulty wiring? Can I do anything to fix it? It's so annoying, having paid for it and it to crap out after a few months of use...it's not like I'm unplugging this thing, it just stopped working consistently one day :/

Peltz

Guys, I just got into the Dreamcast scene and picked up a used TORO VGA Box. Suddenly, the thing is crapping out on me.

Basically, I need to have the cable of the TORO (the one that connects to the Dremcast) on a bent angle/radius in order for it to work. Otherwise, the blue LED dims, and I don't get a signal. I know the box is working when the blue LED becomes very bright, then obviously I reset the console and the output is coming out.

So, what's up with this thing? It's not getting enough power? Faulty wiring? Can I do anything to fix it? It's so annoying, having paid for it and it to crap out after a few months of use...it's not like I'm unplugging this thing, it just stopped working consistently one day :/

That's odd. Did you email the guys who make it? They seemed pretty responsive when I spoke to them last. Maybe they'll repair it for you.

Dereck

I took the Cast to the shop, and like I expected, I didn't have the tools or enough screws to get the job done myself. The guy at the shop had all of the right screw drivers and screws, he managed to get the new case on air tight and it seems good now.

J4mpXOJ.jpg

emb

Grabbed Powerstone and MvC1 this past weekend. Fun stuff.

Seems so much more fun to play Powerstone here than it did on PSP. Either way, I definitely like it. But it feels really janky. Jump kicking and just going for the gems seems to be effective enough to abuse most of the arcade mode. The later opponents were punishing me for it pretty well though.

MvC is just intimidating. I was looking at the list of character unlocks, and geez, I dunno if I even want to go for them. Most of them seem like very specific requirements, and such that you can't really mess up without starting over.

oneida

Had a hard time choosing between VOOT for $10 or Toy Commander for $10. ended up passing on VOOT since I have it for XBLA.

Top Bottom