• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Dreamcast - Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Isn't "Jap" technically a racist term?

Also, Capcom vs SNK 2 is great but its easily available on other systems so I'm not sure if you'd wanna get that.

I was using jap as an abbreviation only, did not intend to sound racist and hope i didnt offed anybody!

D.Lo

Also, Capcom vs SNK 2 is great but its easily available on other systems so I'm not sure if you'd wanna get that.
Dreamcast version is arcade perfect, because in the arcade it ran on a Naomi. Other systems versions are not arcade perfect. They have censorship, edits and many port issues.

Dreamcast version is the one to get.

D.Lo

If you have an arcade stick or Saturn controller convertor for it. :p
Well yes, goes without saying, but you need that for any other platform too. No way I want to play a 2D fighter with any of that generation's standard controllers.

MikeMyers

Well yes, goes without saying, but you need that for any other platform too. No way I want to play a 2D fighter with any of that generation's standard controllers.
A fair point.

Wasn't there a CVS2 demo on Xbox that had everything but online play?

I bought CvS2 on PS2 back in the day so I never imported the JP DC release.

I think the tournament standard is the JP PS2 version actually due to the way meter builds in that version? Is that the version they ran at Evo all those years in the early to mid aughts?

I imagined the DC version would be preferred due to Naomi origins.

D.Lo

I think the tournament standard is the JP PS2 version actually due to the way meter builds in that version? Is that the version they ran at Evo all those years in the early to mid aughts?
PS2 versions were largely preferred for everything 15 years ago only because everyone had PS2 sticks. Even when they were broken or laggy or 480i etc.

jerry1594

PS2 versions were largely preferred for everything 15 years ago only because everyone had PS2 sticks. Even when they were broken or laggy or 480i etc.
Eh I dunno. Marvel was Dreamcast all the way, and even in this year's evo side tournament they used the ps2 version. I can't imagine it's just because of availability. It's not like a lot of people have ps2 sticks now and use them regularly, and if they are cvs2 players you'd think they would have their own Dreamcast setup.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Marvel 2 is still commonly played on Dreamcast in tournament. I'm actually streaming it at KIT in January. There were a lot of complaints when EVO moved it to next-gen consoles.

But that scene was the only one that was really adamant about sticking with DC.

MikeMyers

Yeah I've seen the PS2 Version more for CvS2 but DC more for Mvc2.

Not too long ago I actually threw a house tournament on my Saturn with X-Men Vs. Street Fighter, Virtua Fighter 2, and Fighters Megamix. Was a lot of fun.

jerry1594

I am pretty sure mvc2 had a low print run on ps2, not sure about Xbox, making it pretty expensive. It was on a shitty blue disk had a ton of changes from arcade and looked and sounded like poop so that didn't help it

D.Lo

Eh I dunno. Marvel was Dreamcast all the way, and even in this year's evo side tournament they used the ps2 version. I can't imagine it's just because of availability. It's not like a lot of people have ps2 sticks now and use them regularly, and if they are cvs2 players you'd think they would have their own Dreamcast setup.
I guess PS2 version of that game gained traction due to a US release. Marvel 2 got a US DC release (and PS2 version is a turd). Once a version gains traction, it becomes the standard, irrespective of merit.

US hegemony wins over quality of version it seems.

D.Lo

Except this tournament was organized by Bas, japanese CvS2 god (who also won it :p)
Yes but the standard version that everyone practices at was set years ago, so Japanese players would have to play to it as well since then.

Hey maybe people truly prefer the PS2 one, I don't know I've never played at high levels (I had some pretty serious mates to play against, and the local arcades, and that's it). But in a world seemingly obsessed with it being as close as possible to the original arcade version, the basically native Dreamcast version would surely be the preferred option, unless history locked-in something else, so I'm hypothesising why a port would be chosen over a native version.

jerry1594

The thing is that both the ps2 and Dreamcast versions are regarded as perfectly fine. Ps2 may have shittier visuals and slight differences, but it's an actual tossup on which to use. And it's not like the dc version isn't super cheap and easy to find, and super easy to play on an american dreamcast, or get a japanese dreamcast for cheap. You would think a top japanese arcade player would have qualms with it over anyone else.

Sixfortyfive

I guess PS2 version of that game gained traction due to a US release. Marvel 2 got a US DC release (and PS2 version is a turd). Once a version gains traction, it becomes the standard, irrespective of merit.

US hegemony wins over quality of version it seems.

SF4 and MVC3 got shifted over from PS3 to 360 because the PS3 versions were lacking.

D.Lo

SF4 and MVC3 got shifted over from PS3 to 360 because the PS3 versions were lacking.
All versions of both those hideous games are lacking IMO ;)

Much more recent games though, both are ports not native, and a much more mature scene overall likely make something like that more possible?

Sixfortyfive

All versions of both those hideous games are lacking IMO ;)

Much more recent games though, both are ports not native, and a much more mature scene overall likely make something like that more possible?

The relative ease of finding quality sticks, converters, and dual mods probably helps.

Sixfortyfive

MvC3 is about a billion times better aesthetically than MvC2. (MvC2 is the rock bottom of that series in that respect.)

If you want to argue on gameplay, then you're free to your own opinion.

MikeMyers

I actually don't care too much for MvC2 either. I still think X-Men Vs. Street Fighter was the best one.

But the last SF game I really liked was Capcom vs. SNK 2, and that was birthed on the Dreamcast, hence why the series died with the Dreamcast. At least for me anyway.

D.Lo

MvC3 is about a billion times better aesthetically than MvC2. (MvC2 is the rock bottom of that series in that respect.)
I'll give you that. MVC2 is a total mess, and 3 is well done for what it is, but is a pretty generic plasticy 3D Mortal Kombat looking thing. The older CPS2 games though, glorious, every one of them.

There's no defending Street Fighter 4 though. One of the ugliest fighting games ever made. As a huge Z2/SF3 fan I'll never get over (EX)4 being an outsourced 3D turd.

jerry1594

Fair enough.

I only originally brought it up to defend the DC version as the best version ;)
Eh, going by your average player criteria it's either or. Dreamcast looks better but has a shittier controller. Agetec sticks are plentiful but a pain to mod. Hori ps2 sticks not as easy to find but you can just swap parts in. You could get converters for either or an actual saturn controller for the ps2, although it's rare and expensive.

MikeMyers

Isn't the DC version of SF2 considered the best home port?

I love how the game was ported to Master System, Mega Drive, Saturn, and Dreamcast. Is there any other game that came to all four systems?

D.Lo

Eh, going by your average player criteria it's either or. Dreamcast looks better but has a shittier controller. Agetec sticks are plentiful but a pain to mod. Hori ps2 sticks not as easy to find but you can just swap parts in. You could get converters for either or an actual saturn controller for the ps2, although it's rare and expensive.
Moving from the standard DC controller to the standard PS2 controller is like going from 3/10 to 4/10 for 2D fighters anyway IMO.

It's a bit of a jump between using the terrible standard d-pads to modded sticks though! Most people just need a Saturn pad converter or any half decent stick.

No idea what Sega was thinking with the DC d-pad though, after iterating over 10 years their rolling circular pad (SG1000 -> Mark III -> Mega Drive -> Mega Drive 6 -> Saturn). I guess the Nintendo + shape patent was expiring soon (it expired in 2003) so they jumped on it?

MikeMyers

The Dreamcast controller basically felt like an evolution of the Saturn 3D Pad, just not as good.

Maybe they settled for 4 buttons instead to try to ape Sony's controller. Sigh.

jerry1594

Dualshock dpad as cruddy but it is way more useable than dreamcast's. Coupled with the triggers it's pretty awful. At least a guy won evo with one of those crappy ps pads ;)
As for modded sticks, it's just replacing the buttons and joystick which is a 15 minute simple thing. Agetec parts are so-so, but being 16ish years old the parts, especially the joystick are sometimes in a deteriorated state that makes them a hassle to use.
Isn't the DC version of SF2 considered the best home port?

I love how the game was ported to Master System, Mega Drive, Saturn, and Dreamcast. Is there any other game that came to all four systems?

Space harrier and OutRun?

MikeMyers

Yeah, I think I'd rather play fighters on a Sony pad than a Dreamcast one.

Both are vastly inferior to the Saturn one though. Still my favourite system for fighters.

Morfeo

Yeah I've seen the PS2 Version more for CvS2 but DC more for Mvc2.

Not too long ago I actually threw a house tournament on my Saturn with X-Men Vs. Street Fighter, Virtua Fighter 2, and Fighters Megamix. Was a lot of fun.

This sounds really fun, wish I had enough friends living nearby to do something like this :(

MikeMyers

This sounds really fun, wish I had enough friends living nearby to do something like this :(

Ha. When I got X-Men Vs. Street Fighter, I actually posted an image on it on Facebook and was quite surprised at how many likes it got. Decided to message every person that liked it if they were interest in coming over and it all stemmed from there.

Morfeo

Ha. When I got X-Men Vs. Street Fighter, I actually posted an image on it on Facebook and was quite surprised at how many likes it got. Decided to message every person that liked it if they were interest in coming over and it all stemmed from there.

Pretty good idea actually, maybe I need to do this for my future pickups.

Sixfortyfive

There's absolutely no reason to shell out extra money for a 1st party VGA box anymore.

Cheaper 3rd party clones have the same feature set (dual VGA / S-video out).

Beharbros VGA boxes are compatible with both 480p and 240p games, while the 1st party box is not.

Timu

Holy shit at those prices!

There's absolutely no reason to shell out extra money for a 1st party VGA box anymore.

Cheaper 3rd party clones have the same feature set (dual VGA / S-video out).

Beharbros VGA boxes are compatible with both 480p and 240p games, while the 1st party box is not.
Wow, really? That's cool to hear, and I'm getting 240p Dreamcast games so I have to take that into consideration.

IrishNinja

Was Bangai-o always in the $70 range? I swear it was in the 30s a few months ago:

damn, i know i got mine a while back for 30 something, yeah...feels like more SHMUPs are climbing. again when i rebought most of my DC collection, it seemed like the capcom stuff had been hit the hardest...oh and Shenmue 2

then again

Top Bottom