• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Dreamcast - Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Teknoman

I kinda want to get a cheap CRT monitor for Dreamcast and VGA...I have an old laptop but I doubt that would work. Dont really have a spot i'd be able to put a monitor either.

Shaneus

I was packing up some old stuff last night, and found my DC VGA box is the "Performance" brand. And FWIW, it works flawlessly.

jerry1594

I actually just won it lol. I've heard very positive things about the joystick and not so positive things about the buttons. I'll post impressions when it arrives. Might get one of those duplicate Sanwa Flash pcb's for comparison.

StevieWhite

On the subject of sticks, has anybody tried this monster?
640px-AlloyStick_DC.jpg

Always wondered if it was any good.

StevieWhite

I figured as much... sure looked cool though!

More peripheral stuff..

640px-AstroPad_Black.jpg

Remember this guy? Had to live with an Astropad for a while because I couldn't afford another first party controller. I miss the days of whackadoo third party controllers. You learned to love them because you had no choice.

IrishNinja

oh god, yeah i remember seeing those - the build quality on 3rd party N64 sticks - at least, the ones i had - was so bad though, they were like fluorescent dildos with buttons

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Very happy with the build quality of the green goblin. VF3tb is a joy.

I mean, it is a joy anyway, but it's a lot more playable with a stick.

NDPsycho

Very happy with the build quality of the green goblin. VF3tb is a joy.

I mean, it is a joy anyway, but it's a lot more playable with a stick.

Wish I had held onto a second one when gamestop clearanced them out back in the day. I bought 12 or so of them around $10 each and only kept one for myself. I really needed the money at the time :(

IrishNinja

Wish I had held onto a second one when gamestop clearanced them out back in the day. I bought 12 or so of them around $10 each and only kept one for myself. I really needed the money at the time :(

godamn, you must've cleaned up! i missed out on a boxed one last year and was bummed, but shit

NDPsycho

godamn, you must've cleaned up! i missed out on a boxed one last year and was bummed, but shit

It's been a while, but I think I got $40-$50 each at the time. It was the only way I could keep gaming when I was younger. I really regret selling many things, none more than my Saturn collection then. Sold around 120 games including all the late releases for $1000. I've spent much more than that getting a third of them back since and still miss some.

Can an NTSC-U DC play PAL games? Specifically I want to play an English language version of Shenmue 2 for DC and thought the PAL version sold in the UK could accomplish this. And if not, can a DC be (relatively easily) modded for region free as well as 50/60 hz? Or if there another solution for playing Shenmue 2 for DC in English?

Also, are there any modders in this thread that are taking jobs to mod DC's for the IDE drive or any of the other fancier mods?

Can an NTSC-U DC play PAL games? Specifically I want to play an English language version of Shenmue 2 for DC and thought the PAL version sold in the UK could accomplish this. And if not, can a DC be (relatively easily) modded for region free as well as 50/60 hz? Or if there another solution for playing Shenmue 2 for DC in English?

Well, you just need an import boot disc to start the game, no hardware modding needed. And Shenmue 2 supports 60 hz,

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Where do you buy a boot disc like that? I have a jp Dreamcast, but quite a few american and european games I want to play on it.

Where do you buy a boot disc like that? I have a jp Dreamcast, but quite a few american and european games I want to play on it.

Well, I bought mine ages ago so dunno if you can still buy it in stores now, but to quote an earlier post in the thread:
If you search enough you can find isos to various boot CDs (Utopia, Game Shark, Action Replay) that people used back in the day for cheats, running backups and imports.

MikeMyers

Virtua Tennis on the DC was developed by Sega AM3, right?

Because my research says that AM3/Hitmaker seemed to be a casualty of the Sammy merger, but there were VT games on PS360, so who made those?

jerry1594

Alright so the FT Stick arrived today. It's actually not as nice as it looked in the pictures. Something is moving around in there. The bottom plate is stained, the top, which seems to just be the whole plastic case with a sticker on top, also not in the best condition. I blame my poor eyesight and Auctions' really annoyingly small image sizes. When I first plugged it in it didn't work. Plugged it in againand it worked. So yeah I got what I paid for I suppose. I have used it a little bit, and my impressions are middling at best. It's somewhat on the small side, a bit smaller than the official stick, but decently weighty. It doesn't move around on my lap and my hands are comfortable resting on it. I think it can accomodate people with bigger hands. The buttons are basically the same as the stock buttons on the green goblin, which either means tolerate them or hate them. They are responsive though. People heap praises on the responsiveness joystick so it may have a less laggy pcb than the green goblin which people have complained about. The joystick itself is middling to me. It could very well be again the quality of my specific stick (actually that's probably what it is) but it's really stiff. After the dead zone it is really not smooth at all towards the gate. The gate is octogonal btw. I felt similar about the joystick on the goblin stick. Past activating the microswitch it feels stiff. Other than how frustratingly not smooth it is, I think it's pretty good. It's really responsive. The engage distance is the shortest I've ever seen I think, shorter than an LS-56. Inputs are responsive. I messed around in 2nd Impact and getting specials out was a breeze. Maybe moreso than on the goblin stick, I haven't used it in a while to be sure. Later on I'll try out combos and maybe Ikaruga to give more impressions. You can forget about dashing though. The stiffness makes it a chore. Maybe it needs to be greased. I tried opening it but the back plate won't come off. I think it has two screws under the lower rubber feet, which are glued on really tight. Real bullshit if so.
Overall, the main review being for the joystick, my impression is positive. It's really responsive, I'm assuming if properly lubed. I've read a similar complaint somewhere else

Edit- after replacing the stock spring with a JLF spring it's so much better. It feels amazing. It probably also needs some grease but still, doing motions is so seamless, damn. Buttons are still garbo though, they squeak.

Salty Hippo

Hey guys. I've been using Demul recently as an aternative to NullDC and I'm really impressed with it so far. But I can't for the life of me figure out how to make the VMU work. It's plugged and activated but in every game I get a message that it's either full or not connected.

I went into the dash, formatted it but it still doesn't work. Any suggestions? I'm using the latest 0.7 version.

At first it wasn't a big deal because Demul has save states, but I lost all my progress on Speed Devils because all of a sudden the state would not load anymore (emulator now crashes every time I try to load). So I don't think states are a reliable option for longer games.

jerry1594

Well this is rich, won a Dreamcast item from Yamatoku Classic on ebay. They charged $37 for shipping but are shipping on a damn freight ship.

jerry1594

...man, you oughta email em, that's some shit right there
Nah, they already shipped. I've read plenty about them. Zero communication, they bid on their own auctions, ban people who complain from their auctions. overcharge for shipping upgrades and combined shipping, cancel bids if they didn't get what they wanted, and describe every item as 'good' and don't provide more than one pic. Better to get a deal even if not really with the shipping.

Bar81

Nah, they already shipped. I've read plenty about them. Zero communication, they bid on their own auctions, ban people who complain from their auctions. overcharge for shipping upgrades and combined shipping, cancel bids if they didn't get what they wanted, and describe every item as 'good' and don't provide more than one pic. Better to get a deal even if not really with the shipping.

Have you ever tried clicking on the description of the item?

IrishNinja

^really helpful post bruh

damn, never had those issues back when i bought from yamatokus, sounds like shit's gotten worse. wonder if he blacklists people like hit-japan?

jerry1594

Have you ever tried clicking on the description of the item?
I have, item was said to arrive between Jan 5 and 20. I got a direct email telling me this. Thank for the helpful input.

Shit I goofed. Bought on the app and only read the shipping info. Everything sans the pic thing is true though.

Teknoman

I've never had problems with Yamatoku so I cant really say. They always ship my stuff pretty fast, and its always good quality. Most of my imports either come form Yamatoku, Hit Japan, or that one Samurai shop on Amazon (forgot the name).

Bar81

I have, item was said to arrive between Jan 5 and 20. I got a direct email telling me this. Thank for the helpful input.

Shit I goofed. Bought on the app and only read the shipping info. Everything sans the pic thing is true though.

Glad you figured it out. If you click on the description there are typically a bunch of additional pictures for all of their auctions. Never had a problem with them myself. Pics are accurate and never been charged anywhere near that for shippping.

jerry1594

Glad you figured it out. If you click on the description there are typically a bunch of additional pictures for all of their auctions. Never had a problem with them myself. Pics are accurate and never been charged anywhere near that for shippping.
It's probably like 2.5kg boxed. 37 for a freight ship up to 68 for EMS.

Bar81

It's probably like 2.5kg boxed. 37 for a freight ship up to 68 for EMS.

That's quite a heavy item - I've only bought individual games from them. Having said that, based upon my experience with other JP sellers' ship prices for systems and the like that's not out of line with what I've seen. You should generally avoid anything with economy shipping - go with either airmail, SAL or EMS.

jerry1594

That's quite a heavy item - I've only bought individual games from them. Having said that, based upon my experience with other JP sellers' ship prices for systems and the like that's not out of line with what I've seen. You should generally avoid anything with economy shipping - go with either airmail, SAL or EMS.
That's a lot for the package. 2.5kg is a high estimate. I already own one of of the items, minus the box and it's like 1.5kg. In another buy I'm paying 98 for EMS for almost 8kg of stuff.

So I threw together a little video on Zombie Revenge... thought you guys might enjoy it.

https://youtu.be/xYEfw16NBZE

Hoped to get a little better capture quality, but I'm still basically happy with the result. Thinking about doing a soundboard for this game too.

Good stuff! Love this game. Definitely weird but fun.

I'm so close to 1cc'ing it. Got 2cc the other night, but died on Zed after messing up on one of his patterns. I was gonna say "it's not too tough if you do [X]" where [X] was starting to become a huge wall of text lol

not sure how it compares to other 1ccs cause it's my first one, but it's taken me a couple hundred credits, I'd guess. The initial learning curve was rough but a guy who had the japanese guide told me a lot of good tech. The first few stages are littered with health. It's the stretch from the end of the train through the end that kills you...and that's about half the game.

Teknoman

Hey, Stalker series.

I know Landstalker, Dark Savior, Alundra, and Time Stalkers are all loosely(?) connected, but were there any other related games or spiritual successors in recent or past times?

GOT A DREAMCAST FOR XMAS! I even got the clear green controller, which I always wanted. Two controllers, two VMUs and a few sports games to start.

Can't want to start building my library. *celebrate.gif*

Top Bottom