• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Dreamcast - Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Timu

Finally uploaded my 1st Dreamcast youtube playthrough...I really need to focus on this console this year, though I predict like 5-10 playthroughs unless I find more and quicker games to do.

Teknoman

So finally got that official Dreamcast S-Video cable. Looks like (unless its placebo effect) old cable wasnt really outputting true S-video? Seems much clearer than with the other cable.

Billy Lee

I've got the Japanese Fire Pro Wrestling D and play it on a PAL Dreamcast via Action Replay. There is no picture (just a black screen) but the sound plays as it should. I use an S-Video cable and all other games work fine. Does anyone know why there's no picture for this one game? I have a Toshiba CRT TV. I don't know if this helps but the RGB SCART cable doesn't work on this TV with the Dreamcast which is why I use S-Video.

Shaneus

Probably need to do the 60Hz mod on your MD. Depending on model the way to do this varies, but it's not all that difficult.

Shaneus

But it outputs video fine when I select 60Hz on PAL games.
Wait, sorry... I thought I was in another thread. But regardless, there's no 60Hz mod on DC, it's obviously all built-in.

I've never heard of this being a thing, but maybe the game doesn't know how to switch from 50 to 60Hz? I don't know how GAF is with the legalities of boot discs, but I think the Utopia disc lets you switch video modes before booting up a game. Might be worth trying that.

TeaJay

This has probably been asked, but I'm considering buying a DC and I'd like to know what kind of picture I can get from it on my Sony PVM. As far as I know the monitor is mostly meant for 240p stuff, so correct me if I'm wrong - can I play DC on my PVM and what cables would I use?

DC supports a few titles in 240p like Jojo's, SF3, and Gunbird 2. On my PVM I use RGB European SCART cables with the appropriate BNC adapter. Looks terrific.

This has probably been asked, but I'm considering buying a DC and I'd like to know what kind of picture I can get from it on my Sony PVM. As far as I know the monitor is mostly meant for 240p stuff, so correct me if I'm wrong - can I play DC on my PVM and what cables would I use?

http://retrorgb.com/dreamcast.html has a list of dreamcast games that support 240p. It's a small list.

The pvms do a terrific job with 480i as well. Hook your dreamcast up via rgb for the best possible picture on a 15khz pvm.

TeaJay

http://retrorgb.com/dreamcast.html has a list of dreamcast games that support 240p. It's a small list.

The pvms do a terrific job with 480i as well. Hook your dreamcast up via rgb for the best possible picture on a 15khz pvm.

Thanks for the input guys. My PVM is 20M4E, from what I gather it's up for Dreamcast as well.

Also one more question about the region locks. What region console would be best if I want to play imports as well? Do I need a mod, if I buy the PAL version? Or should it be the japanese DC by default?

e: Any recommendations for the RGB scart cable? I see retrogamingcables doesn't carry one.

sarcoa

Thanks for the input guys. My PVM is 20M4E, from what I gather it's up for Dreamcast as well.

Also one more question about the region locks. What region console would be best if I want to play imports as well? Do I need a mod, if I buy the PAL version? Or should it be the japanese DC by default?

e: Any recommendations for the RGB scart cable? I see retrogamingcables doesn't carry one.

I'm on mobile and don't have a link, but I got a generic $15 scart cable off eBay and it works perfectly. Some are listed now too.
Considering how hard it was to find a Saturn scart cable that actually worked, I was surprised.

AmyS

It sucks that Spikeout never came to Dreamcast.

qknSTvp.jpg

UVTZfrI.jpg

And the OG Xbox game lacked the bright colors of the Model 3 games: Spikeout Digital Battle Online and Final Edition

AmyS

I did not like the Xbox version of Spikeout so unless that other version is better I could live without it.

Here's over an hour of gameplay of the Model 3 arcade version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7dPxR3yvNM

I'm not saying its a fantastic game, I just prefer the more colorful & more heavily textured look of arcade Spikeout: Digital Battle Online & Final Edition over Xbox Spikeout: Battle Street.

JP, NA, EU arcade flyers:

So. i'm finally playing Shenmue. Its a game i missed at release, and i have many times said i would start, only to get sidetracked by something else.

To be honest, i'm enjoying the very simple-nature of the game thus far (even though i've only played one "in-game" day thus far). Even though its just walking around talking to people, there is just some sort of charm with all the little things you do outside of your main goal that really gels with me.

On the negative, the voice acting on almost every person is...Bad. Its just bad. I can give it a slight pass for the time it was made, but it can get cringe-worthy a little too often for my taste.

Still, quite excited to see how the story plays out

Teknoman

So. i'm finally playing Shenmue. Its a game i missed at release, and i have many times said i would start, only to get sidetracked by something else.

To be honest, i'm enjoying the very simple-nature of the game thus far (even though i've only played one "in-game" day thus far). Even though its just walking around talking to people, there is just some sort of charm with all the little things you do outside of your main goal that really gels with me.

On the negative, the voice acting on almost every person is...Bad. Its just bad. I can give it a slight pass for the time it was made, but it can get cringe-worthy a little too often for my taste.

The biker gang dudes are the worst in a good way. They try to sound so tough but just come off sounding dumb.

IrishNinja

glad you're liking it (VA aside), do import the PAL copy of 2 when you can for superior subtitles!

Spaghetti

The voice acting might grow on you enough to be endearing, or at least get to the point where you can ignore how bad it is. Either way, it's a good idea to talk to people just to see what's up. You'll get a few good character/story moments that way.

For example, I was somewhere around the start of disk 2 and was talking with Hattori-san at the sporting goods store. After answering my direct question about where something was, Ryo starts making small talk. Hattori-san starts going on about how he hates that soccer is getting popular because he prefers baseball, and then Ryo is desperately trying to end the conversation quickly to avoid sports talk. I found that a pretty funny moment, but it wouldn't have happened if I didn't walk off the beaten path and go talk to some NPCs out of the way of my objective.

Timu

SpikeOut rocks!
I don't agree.

Long and tedious levels, limited combat, cheap enemies, some weird choices with the control scheme, odd game mechanics(like getting hit once with a weapon makes you lose the weapon forever, lol this happens in 80s arcade games, shouldn't happen here), 1 life to beat a stage or else you have to start all over from the beginning(seriously, who the fuck likes that).

It's alternative Battle Street Mode is better than the Story mode itself since there's more added to it(lives, choose your characters, etc.), but you have to go through the story mode and beat each stage to unlock it!

elmalloc

Hi,

I searched the thread and found some information but I'd like a definitive answer for my setup (HDTV).

What is the best way to connect a Sega Dreamcast to an HDTV? I have an XRGB Mini Framemeister.

I found an almost new Dreamcast on ebay with "svideo cable", but I read I should use VGA or RGB. I didn't buy it yet because the price is kind of high and I doubt I need the Svideo cable.

Thanks for any information - retrorgb is a little confusing on this topic to me.

Hi,

I searched the thread and found some information but I'd like a definitive answer for my setup (HDTV).

What is the best way to connect a Sega Dreamcast to an HDTV? I have an XRGB Mini Framemeister.

I found an almost new Dreamcast on ebay with "svideo cable", but I read I should use VGA or RGB. I didn't buy it yet because the price is kind of high and I doubt I need the Svideo cable.

Thanks for any information - retrorgb is a little confusing on this topic to me.

I connect mine to my framemeister via s-video (for no reason other than that's what I could buy locally), but I think a direct connection to your TV with a VGA cable might be better since it's all 480p, right? It might depend on your TV. RGB should probably go through a framemeister, though might require some conversion stuff that I know nothing about.

televator

Hi,

I answered you in the RGB thread, but I didn't know you had an XRGB. You can find a cheaper Dreamcast unless you really want that S video cable. If you want the best though get a Toro VGA box. It has a SCART connector on it that you can plug right into the XRG .

Umibozu

Hi,

I don't have one, but as televator said you want a toro. It gives the best image but takes one to two months to ship.

here's a vid that might help:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn_7aUpqCwc

MikeMyers

I don't agree.

Long and tedious levels, limited combat, cheap enemies, some weird choices with the control scheme, odd game mechanics(like getting hit once with a weapon makes you lose the weapon forever, lol this happens in 80s arcade games, shouldn't happen here), 1 life to beat a stage or else you have to start all over from the beginning(seriously, who the fuck likes that).

It's alternative Battle Street Mode is better than the Story mode itself since there's more added to it(lives, choose your characters, etc.), but you have to go through the story mode and beat each stage to unlock it!

Are you referring to the the arcade original or Xbox sequel? Because I don't remember any story mode stuff in it, but it has been a while.

Zombie Revenge 1CC+No Deaths get

only took forever. this is actually my 3rd 1cc of it (first two were yesterday), but I didn't have to use the 1up this time and had a very clean run overall...a rarity in this game. Only single player 1cc of this online afaik. I found some evidence that there might have been one on youtube but the vids are gone now.

It's a good game, you should play it. also, some of the best zombie gore in any game ever. they get torn apart by bullets, lose limbs, blow up into a bunch of pieces. Probably the best until something in the 360 gen, I imagine.

StevieWhite

Zombie Revenge 1CC+No Deaths get

only took forever. this is actually my 3rd 1cc of it (first two were yesterday), but I didn't have to use the 1up this time and had a very clean run overall...a rarity in this game. Only single player 1cc of this online afaik. I found some evidence that there might have been one on youtube but the vids are gone now.

It's a good game, you should play it. also, some of the best zombie gore in any game ever. they get torn apart by bullets, lose limbs, blow up into a bunch of pieces. Probably the best until something in the 360 gen, I imagine.

I am sincerely impressed. That's a tough game, even on the easiest settings.

I am sincerely impressed. That's a tough game, even on the easiest settings.

Strangely enough, the difficulty doesn't seem to scale up much. On Very Hard, enemies just seemed to attack slightly more frequently--everything else seemed exactly the same. I thought for sure the player character would get like one-shotted and enemies would turn into tanks. I made it very far in on one credit just using my usual strats.

StevieWhite

Strangely enough, the difficulty doesn't seem to scale up much. On Very Hard, enemies just seemed to attack slightly more frequently--everything else seemed exactly the same. I thought for sure the player character would get like one-shotted and enemies would turn into tanks. I made it very far in on one credit just using my usual strats.

I found the same thing when I did my retrospective a few months back. All very similar. Did you use a pad or an arcade stick?

Dereck

I came here just to ask about the GDEMU, to the people that recently bought it, how did it work for you

I'll wait longer

I found the same thing when I did my retrospective a few months back. All very similar. Did you use a pad or an arcade stick?

Analog stick on the dc controller-- it seems built around analog controls, as I found out very late into my runs. Movement became a jillion times better and the auto-aim system started working about perfectly for me, aside from a few predictable situations where it gets confused.

KC-Slater

Analog stick on the dc controller-- it seems built around analog controls, as I found out very late into my runs. Movement became a jillion times better and the auto-aim system started working about perfectly for me, aside from a few predictable situations where it gets confused.

The Naomi original was built around analog controls, but the DC port still feels like it's digital movement, even with the stick. Nicely done, though!

Coda

It's a shame that the Xbox Spikeout isn't very good. I ended up picking it up when I recently bought an Xbox and I was disappointed at how bad it was and not fun to play. I love beat 'em ups so I was hoping it would be one of those last hurrahs for 3D beat 'em ups but I was wrong.

An1malhouse365

Neo Member
So I'm currently building a retro setup in my gaming room and picked up a 36in Triniton.
Found a local shop selling the dreamcast for only $30 complete preowned. They even have a brand new sealed box for $80.

Anyway, my first dreamcast, what should I be looking for?

Timu

It's a shame that the Xbox Spikeout isn't very good. I ended up picking it up when I recently bought an Xbox and I was disappointed at how bad it was and not fun to play. I love beat 'em ups so I was hoping it would be one of those last hurrahs for 3D beat 'em ups but I was wrong.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way about the game, these are my thoughts as well and I love beat em ups so it's a shame really.

Top Bottom