• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Rally Online Arcade PS360 |OT| Contains 100% Real Mud

Daigoro

that was one of the easier 200/200 ive gotten. fun though!

Diablohead is lighting this game up though. he's got #1 on like 95% of all the leader boards. badass!

6th is my highest rank so far. just got it on Tropical quick race.

ill probably keep playing for a bit and go for some time trial scores and stuff, then head back to Revo at some point. the game is fun. worth $10 easy for me.

KennyLinder said:
Hold on, the new XBLA/PSN game doesn't have deformation? Does it not have any at all, or is it reduced? I can't play it until tonight to see for myself. If it's gone totally then yes 60fps would be possible IF they reduced the crazy poly count of the tracks which would require time and effort and access to the original track 3D files (which they might not have had?).

it does have deformation. never played the Arcade version, so i dont know if the deformation is reduced or not. the game is different enough from the Revo version that i cant really say.

KingJ2002

bought it... games like this afterburner, virtual on, outrun are the games that make XBLA worthwhile.

i can't beat that lakeside stage... i have to get better.

I'm loving this game. Just had a couple of really intense online races, but it's obvious I'm not as good at this game as I thought I would be.

The Desert '95 remake is brilliant, except it's missing the helicopter at the end, but that's really a minor gripe.

It's a distilled version of Revo, with a proper Sega Rally Classic style championship mode. Well worth my 800 points.

Suairyu

Banned
Kuran said:
I remember Revo to look much better. Was the PC version any good?
Yes. Stunning, stunning game at high resolution and 60fps.

Sega Rally (Revo) remains pretty much the only truly 'next-generation' racing game because of its track deformation - everything else has just been more of the same with prettier graphics and tweaked physics.

I'm amazed so many people didn't like it.

Kuran

Banned
Suairyu said:

Sega Rally (Revo) remains pretty much the only truly 'next-generation' racing game because of its track deformation - everything else has just been more of the same with prettier graphics and tweaked physics.

I loved it myself, on 360. Don't have any consoles anymore though.. and I just looked and it isn't on Steam.. :(

Suairyu said:

The structure of the game and no restart option put a lot of people off, from what I remember. Also it was released at a bad time and all that. I'm still slightly ashamed that I didn't buy it at launch, because I wanted to support the racing studio but money was tight at the time. I also didn't buy PGR4 (released around that same time) either and still feel terrible about that.

It's all my fault!!!

Suairyu

Banned
Dead Man Typing said:
The structure of the game and no restart option put a lot of people off, from what I remember. Also it was released at a bad time and all that. I'm still slightly ashamed that I didn't buy it at launch, because I wanted to support the racing studio but money was tight at the time. I also didn't buy PGR4 (released around that same time) either and still feel terrible about that.

It's all my fault!!!
>: (

I bet you're the reason the Dreamcast failed as well!

Suairyu said:
>: (

I bet you're the reason the Dreamcast failed as well!

Nah, that I did buy. Day 1 for the console, and then all major titles to follow.

Those were simpler times, when my brother and I both didn't have bills to pay so we could just save money for video games. In 2007 I moved into my own flat and needed to eat. So I started swapping and borrowing games with friends instead of buying new. Sad times.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Suairyu said:

I've had it sitting in my backlog for a while and just recently started devoting time to it. It's not quite Rallisport Challenge sim/arcade perfection and playing on the 360 keeps me from seeing its true potential but it handles great and still looks damn good. Playing with the Sega Rally OST makes it even better.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
PSN PLEASE
2444120573_f5c437d3e5.jpg

ILL BUY IT AT A HIGH PRICE

Superfrog

Dead Man Typing said:
Also it was released at a bad time and all that. I'm still slightly ashamed that I didn't buy it at launch, because I wanted to support the racing studio but money was tight at the time. I also didn't buy PGR4 (released around that same time) either and still feel terrible about that.
Yeah, Sega Rally Revo was basically released around one week before/after PGR4 (depending if you're located in the US or Europe). Self-cannibalizing publisher insanity, just like it happened with Split Second and Blur. :(

KennyLinder said:
Should do, PS3 'Revo did. Can't say for sure until PSN version is available.

... oh crap, I forgot the tiny detail that the DFGT doesn't work on 360 and that PStore is still down :p Thanks for the input though, I'll keep an eye on it, or maybe I'll simply get Revo on the PC and use it there :D Thanks again.

I own Revo for pc because amazon did a 96p clearance lol, but I've owned the 360 version the year before and 1000 it because the game was awesome, was a bit slow getting 100 online wins and hosts when hardly anyone played it but I showed my love for the game by achieving it.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
OK here's the reality of the situation gentlemen,

Sega, as an arcade racing company is DEAD. Any future arcade racing games done by them *WILL* be farmed out to western devs, and hence will run @ 60fps.

Codemasters, as many criticisms as they get, are the NEW SEGA!!! Dirt 2>>>Sega Rally 2 and Dirt 3>>>This Sega Rally Online abomination. The Dirt series destroys all Sega Rally games except the very first one.

Your options at this point folks are:

1)Play the *original* Sega Rally Championship on PC via Model 2 emulator, and bask in all its nostalgic glory

2)For a more recent "Next Gen" experience play Dirt 3.

sega4ever said:
this is what happens when you let someone other than a sega AM team develop your games, you get a 30 fps racing game.

Nail, I'd like you to meet head.

Kuran

Banned
isamu said:

Sega, as an arcade racing company is DEAD. Any future arcade racing games done by them *WILL* be farmed out to western devs, and hence will run @ 60fps.

Codemasters, as many criticisms as they get, are the NEW SEGA!!! Dirt 2>>>Sega Rally 2 and Dirt 3>>>This Sega Rally Online abomination. The Dirt series destroys all Sega Rally games except the very first one.

1)Play the *original* Sega Rally Championship on PC via Model 2 emulator, and bask in all its nostalgic glory

Nail, I'd like you to meet head.

You can't be serious about Codemasters... they have been injecting their games with an incredible amount of 'chav appeal. At least we'll always have the classic arcade games... thank god Model 2 and Model 3 emulation is maturing lately.

thirty

Banned
Wow just bought. This + Saturn rally redbook + 120hz/automotion for mock 60fps absolutely destroys revo. Plays just like sega rally should. *edit* awe come on! How could they forget the helicopter on the desert 95 course!

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Everdred said:
Anyone know how to get Andorra Racer and the Icelandic Racer? Only achievements left count on those.
I found this on the forum for this game at xbox360achievements.org.

Andorra racer: you have to beat champsionship with all 6 rally cars, you don't have to win the 1v1 at the end you just have to finish.

Icelandic racer: you have to beat a staff time trial ghost with all 6 rally cars.

For the Bowler Nemesis, you have to beat all four tracks (Tropical, Canyon, Alpine and Lakeside) in quick race (I did on Arcade difficulty, don't know if you can do it on Casual), then beat all staff time trial ghosts to unlock the McRae Enduro. That leaves the Baja Racer, any idea on that one?

low-G

Played some Revo and then tried the trial of this last night. Felt way too close to Revo to warrant a second purchase IMO.

No Western developer has yet been able to capture the feel of the classic Japanese arcade racing games. Usually it's as simple as the extra layers of complexity and punishment Western racing games add. Dirt 2 punishes you much more harshly for wrecking than Sega Rally used to. Revo also required you to play with absolute perfection.

Need for Speed Hot Pursuit is as close as any recent racing game has come to bringing back the classic 'good feeling' arcade racing game in ages.

"No Western developer has yet been able to capture the feel of the classic Japanese arcade racing games. Usually it's as simple as the extra layers of complexity and punishment Western racing games add. Dirt 2 punishes you much more harshly for wrecking than Sega Rally used to. Revo also required you to play with absolute perfection.

Need for Speed Hot Pursuit is as close as any recent racing game has come to bringing back the classic 'good feeling' arcade racing game in ages."

Not only has a western developer been able to capture the feel of classic Arcade games, they've far surpassed it.

Trackmania, son.

low-G

Teknopathetic said:
"No Western developer has yet been able to capture the feel of the classic Japanese arcade racing games. Usually it's as simple as the extra layers of complexity and punishment Western racing games add. Dirt 2 punishes you much more harshly for wrecking than Sega Rally used to. Revo also required you to play with absolute perfection.

Need for Speed Hot Pursuit is as close as any recent racing game has come to bringing back the classic 'good feeling' arcade racing game in ages."

Not only has a western developer been able to capture the feel of classic Arcade games, they've far surpassed it.

Trackmania, son.

Well, I disagree that Trackmania is the same feel, but it's very good too. Trackmania isn't trying to be the same thing to me. It's trying to be Stunts.

"Well, I disagree that Trackmania is the same feel, but it's very good too. Trackmania isn't trying to be the same thing to me. It's trying to be Stunts."

Fair enough.

Popped in Sega Rally 2 on my Dreamcast. Not nearly as fun or as good-looking as my rose-tinted glasses seem to remember it as.

Downloading trial of SROA now.

Mr YuYu

I somehow remembered the handling of the cars to be much much better in sega rally on the Saturn. Must have been the nostalgia :-/

A bit dissapointed with my purchase although the online races are very cool!

Demathe

Neo Member
Mr YuYu said:
I somehow remembered the handling of the cars to be much much better in sega rally on the Saturn. Must have been the nostalgia :-/

nah bro, nothing to do with nostalgia. Sega Rally Championship is still one of the best handling arcade racing games ever (in my opinion THE best)

regarding the Japanese vs Western developed arcade racing games; while the West certainly has their share of truly good arcade racers (Burnout series is a good example), for me it's all about JPN.

Outrun, Daytona USA, Sega Rally, Over Rev, Initial D, Scud, Ridge Racer.

Diablohead said:
Scoreboards have more glitchers on it now :/ gg everyone shame that the game only lasted 2-3 days for me.

Well, Sumo did fix glitched leaderboards in Sonic and Sega All Star Racing, I don't know if they stayed fixed, but there's a chance that they'll try and patch out any leaderboard glitches and reset the boards.

Glitched leaderboards annoy me more than anything and devalue one of my favourite features of these arcade style games.

Dead Man Typing said:
Well, Sumo did fix glitched leaderboards in Sonic and Sega All Star Racing, I don't know if they stayed fixed, but there's a chance that they'll try and patch out any leaderboard glitches and reset the boards.

Glitched leaderboards annoy me more than anything and devalue one of my favourite features of these arcade style games.
I agree scoreboards shine in arcade games, I remember back on pal dreamcast SR2 I had to write down a code after doing my best hot lap then enter it on an online website lol, that ws cool until some idiot cracked the code system and uploaded 0:00 times...

Daigoro

isamu said:

fuck no it doesn't. it doesn't even come close.

Demathe

Neo Member
LeMaximilian said:
Speaking of AM2 Sega races, has ANYONE ELSE PLAYED THIS HIDDEN GEM?

R-Tuned
http://www.segaarcade.com/video/rtuned.aspx

Yeah I played it during a trip to Japan two years ago.
Fun little game, but I didn't like the "everyone can drift" mechanics. I understand the thought behind it (very accessible, anyone can pull of amazing drifts) but it took away too much control. I felt more like a roller coaster ride.

I was way more into the actual Initial D arcade game. When I was in Japan they had arcade stage 5 and it was awesome (way better than stage 4, which was released as extreme stage on PS3). I'd really like to try out ID arcade stage 6...maybe in HK if I go this year :)

anyways, just outta curiosity; I think there are some folks here who've spent a fine amount of hours with the original Sega Rally Championship. What are your best times? (Is there any place online where records are being kept? Fan site, forum, anything?)

Top Bottom