• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Rally Online Arcade PS360 |OT| Contains 100% Real Mud

bumpkin

Holy shit, the AI is assisted to a retarded level... I passed every car within a lap and spent the 2nd and 3rd laps trailing the leader. Always within eye shot, but never able to catch up despite driving perfectly. What. The. Fuck.

This was on the "quick race" mode, BTW.

Tried the demo. Why would they use the same stage as the Revo demo, and only 1 lap?

Im not a fan of the camera being locked behind the car. I don't remember Revo being like that, though it's been a while since ive played it

Dan Yo

Banned
The handling is way better and makes for more fun arcade-style racing than Revo's. I just wish everything else didn't seem like it was straight ripped from that game. Oh well, I only played a few races in Revo before getting bored with the way it handled so might as well jump on this one.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
betweenthewheels said:
Tried the demo. Why would they use the same stage as the Revo demo, and only 1 lap?

Im not a fan of the camera being locked behind the car. I don't remember Revo being like that, though it's been a while since ive played it

Woah....you can't change the camera view in this game?

wtfisthisshit.gif

Temujin

betweenthewheels said:

isamu said:

wtfisthisshit.gif

Back button. There are three camera views. It's even mentioned in this thread a couple of pages back.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
betweenthewheels said:

People who use third person view in racing games probably shouldnt be playing this game.

Bah, was just playing this in quick race mode while listening to a custom soundtrack and the framerate took a terrible hit whenever there was a lot of mud or particles on screen. And I don't mean from 30fps down to 25, I'm talking slideshow.

This is not the case when playing Revo, which I played instead. Hope this can be fixed in a patch.

Also, playing SROA, seems to have made me better at Revo. Finishing 1st consistently now.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
cjelly said:
People who use third person view in racing games probably shouldnt be playing this game.

Umm... I've been playing in this mode and have won almost every race online and off.

Speaking of which, how does the game determine which place you'll be at the beginning of a race? I'm always starting in last.

DustinC

I'm having a hell of a time finishing Lakeside. Everything is cake until I get to that race, and I'm constantly trailing behind. I'm sure I need to just practice some more, but does anyone have some tips for that track?

Running in Manual, so I'm assuming I need to finetune when I downshift or something.

isamu said:
I was talking about the camera seems locked directly behind the car in the 3rd person view. Hard to explain...just looks weird.

cjelly said:
What's your reasoning behind this?

Suairyu

Banned
cjelly said:
The first person view was essential in Revo, not 3 and thus presumably this version.

bumpkin

Jesus, the game has been out for four or so days and the online community is already practically dead? I've made several attempts the past few days to find quick matches and came up empty-handed. It was a shame that it happened with Revo, but it's even more of a shame that it's happening already with SROA.

That being said, I'd be interested in racing sometime if anyone still playing wants to friend request me. Just add text and mention SROA. My GT is DaveB1980

DustinC said:
I'm having a hell of a time finishing Lakeside. Everything is cake until I get to that race, and I'm constantly trailing behind. I'm sure I need to just practice some more, but does anyone have some tips for that track?

Running in Manual, so I'm assuming I need to finetune when I downshift or something.
Never use the brakes, if you want to slow down then downshift, some of lakesides corners can be taken full out if you drop to 5th gear and turn at the right time.

BTW anyone know if I am still top of any leaderboards besides the cheaters? not played since 2nd day of release now that I have dirt 3.

bumpkin

Diablohead said:
Never use the brakes, if you want to slow down then downshift, some of lakesides corners can be taken full out if you drop to 5th gear and turn at the right time.

BTW anyone know if I am still top of any leaderboards besides the cheaters? not played since 2nd day of release now that I have dirt 3.
I was going through the time attack today (staff ghosts) and was completely baffled as to how people were posting times almost a minute less than my winning times. Does SROA have it's own equivalent of "snaking" in Mario Kart that people (with no lives...) are resorting to and dominating the leader boards?

DustinC

Thanks, I ended up beating it after two more attempts. Now I feel like I've got it down.

I've managed to get all unlocks except the Bowler Nemesis, anyone have an idea what triggers the unlock?

bumpkin

Holy WTF? I was just playing through the championship, and after finishing 4th in the second race, right after the starting flag on the 3rd race, I literally saw a car materialize out of thin air and drop into the race just before my place reset to 16/22. Good fucking god.

Playing on 360 BTW using the Impreza WRX.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
bumpkin said:
Holy WTF? I was just playing through the championship, and after finishing 4th in the second race, right after the starting flag on the 3rd race, I literally saw a car materialize out of thin air and drop into the race just before my place reset to 16/22. Good fucking god.

Playing on 360 BTW using the Impreza WRX.
I almost came 1st after the second race once. Felt good, man.

bumpkin

cjelly said:
I almost came 1st after the second race once. Felt good, man.
I just did that. :D Funny that it still makes you do the 3rd race.

I also once again just encountered that same damn bug: 4th at the end of Canyon, then the weird car drop and position reset to 16/22. This time I was using the Mitsubishi Lancer.

Looking for some peeps on psn to play this with as there us NEVER any games online in quick race..

Want the trophy for 5 online wins...

Psn name - neoJABES

Tizoc

Feel free to add me: Tizoc789 =)
PM me if you would like to set a date for some races.
Played the game a little and man...controlling the car feels GOOD.
I only tried out the Lancer, but do the other cars 'play' differently?

CozMick

Banned
Tried to play online, so many damn quitting host bitches, created my own server and no fucker joins. fml :\

Great game though, handles like a dream and for £6 it's a bargain.

Tizoc

Heh managed to get most of the trophies in the game so far X3.
Gonna try and get the trophy for winning all 5 tracks on Arcade difficulty.
How do I unlock the Andorra Racer car BTW?

SkylineRKR

I believe you'll get the Andorra Racer by beating a Staff Ghost with each WRC car.

EDIT: yes thats confirmed by me. Just run Time attack Staff ghost Tropical 6 times, using the 6 default cars.

This is far better than Revo, but those leaderboards are fucked up. Those times can't be real.

I actually put Dirt 3 away for this some time ago. Classic championship mode is where its at. Finished at about 6:58 which was on par with my Arcade times so nothing spectacular. I did beat Lakeside on manual gears though, while I drove like shit. But the AI drove even shittier during the last lap.

DJ_Tet

Banned
This game is going to be $5 for PSN+ members in two days, going to likely grab it then.

Pi$$ out the A$$ for whomever was responsible for taking Rally Revo off of Steam. I passed on it during the last sale as I was unsure of it's quality and pretty broke :/

Koralsky

Got PS3 version for 5$ and for one night just smashed the game and receive all the trophies.

God, I LOVE SEGA Rally series. If someone wants to play some online racing, this is my PSN account - Ivaylo_7

Most of the players in PSN version was playing online just for the trophy (for about 15 races I have 15 (very easy) wins), and not because the game is fucking awesome when you play versus another good player/s.

It's pity that (old-school) arcade racing titles are so dead on consoles these days :/

Koralsky

There's update for the PSN version of the game - don't know what the update did, but it's 7 mb big.

Also tested Move support - it's beyond me why they put some effort to put Move compatibility. Control with Move is terrible - lag is huge and the feeling you control car is zero %.

Other than that - there's peoples still play online which is good for me.

I know that it's unrealistic thinking SEGA to put more track in the form of DLCs, but i'm dying for some other tracks (begging mostly for Forest and Mountain tracks from original Sega Rally recreated with the new engine). Gameplay wise SEOA is just close enough for me to the original Sega Rally Championship.

bumpkin said:
I was going through the time attack today (staff ghosts) and was completely baffled as to how people were posting times almost a minute less than my winning times. Does SROA have it's own equivalent of "snaking" in Mario Kart that people (with no lives...) are resorting to and dominating the leader boards?
late reply but not really it comes down to racing line and gear shifts, but there are cheaters from day 1 on the xbla version so once I hit 200/200 achievement the game died to me, why bother time attacking against glitching ghosts :/

jlevel13

So the 360 version of this is on sale this week for only 400 points. I'm thinking about picking it up, but was wondering if people are still playing it online at all?

bumpkin

So the 360 version of this is on sale this week for only 400 points. I'm thinking about picking it up, but was wondering if people are still playing it online at all?
The online community was pretty lethargic even when the game was new. I can't imagine it being much better now, though maybe the sale price might give it new life. Who knows.

Had some spare cash in my PSN wallet so bought Sega Rally Online on the weekend and its really good.

I'm addicted to using the Toyota Celica on the Desert 95 stage, brings back great memories of being in the arcades in the mid 90's

Only problem is the online mode is completly dead i've not found anyone in 3 days to play online

Also for anyone who bought this, can you unlock the Toyota Celica to use in other modes? (I.e. championship mode)

Game Over Yeahhhhh!

Slygmous

I wonder if it was a licensing issue? Kinda sad though. I never got those multiplayer achievements.

Fingers crossed they decide to port the original 2 arcade releases.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I still need the five wins online to get all the achievements in the XBLA version, and I need that trophy for the PSN version, too.

Anyone want to play me? I may be available tomorrow night.

Daigoro

im only around on Thursday night this week (and next), but im available mornings/early afternoons.

let me know if you want to race and maybe we can schedule something.

Slygmous

I'd love to, but I'm on Australian time, so unsure when your tomorrow night would be for me. I'll be pretty busy with work stuff until around this time tomorrow.

Top Bottom