• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

IrishNinja

psylah where the fuck do you live that you have such nice thrift stores man

i've got Souky, Darius, Galactic, Salamander Deluxe, Dodonpachi, Sega Ages Fantasy Zone & burns of both Battle Garegga & Radiant Silvergun. i am so fucking prepared for this month.

psylah where the fuck do you live that you have such nice thrift stores man

i've got Souky, Darius, Galactic, Salamander Deluxe, Dodonpachi, Sega Ages Fantasy Zone & burns of both Battle Garegga & Radiant Silvergun. i am so fucking prepared for this month.

I basically have Galatic attack, and what ever I can steal from friends who have better SHMUP collections.

Ramune

You know, I NEVER saw February's Year of Saturn thread, so I never hyped it on Twitter. I'd feel weird suddenly hyping March's all of a sudden. I'll just come up with an excuse, but I hope the March thread doesn't get buried to oblivion too! o_O

As for Shmups, I just have Dodonpachi and Cotton Boomerang. Guess I can finally use this 2nd PVM for TATE purposes and play DDP like that for the first time ever! :D

Teknoman

You know, I NEVER saw February's Year of Saturn thread, so I never hyped it on Twitter. I'd feel weird suddenly hyping March's all of a sudden. I'll just come up with an excuse, but I hope the March thread doesn't get buried to oblivion too! o_O

As for Shmups, I just have Dodonpachi and Cotton Boomerang. Guess I can finally use this 2nd PVM for TATE purposes and play DDP like that for the first time ever! :D

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=764414

Celine

We are still in February, quick!

Now seriously I need to sit down with Daytona again.

Jinto

My Saturn hasn't arrived yet, but I went ahead and ordered s-video cables. Unfortunately, they're out of stock of the 4-in1 action replays. I was one day too late. :/ Where's a good place to buy one with a com port?

My JAP white Saturn arrived in the post today from Japan, no import duties, no yellowing, no cables or controller, works great, £35, bargain! the only problem is it wouldn't sync when connected to my Plasma, weird as my now faulty PAL Saturn with 50/60hz switch worked fine, anyway some pics

DSC08844.jpg

Also had this slotted in the back of it

screen shot on a pc

DSC08880.jpg

DSC08860.jpg

DSC08901.jpg

IrishNinja

Chase HQ looks great on Saturn so naturally i assume it's not gonna be cheap

also what games use that VCD plugin thing? i only know of certain versions of Lunar 1/2 i wanna say

Young Magus

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Lucked out b/c all the other game store places I went to didn't have it and amazon.jp had it for 55 bucks.

Also got Marvel vs. street fighter and Fatal Fury Special. Both came with RAM carts.
Yeesh, have prices gone up that much? Azel is not a rare game at all.

The PAL Saturn has 9v on the 9th AV port pin. NTSC Saturn have composite sync on that pin. This is why your Saturn isn't working on the plasma properly.

http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/sega/ntsc-saturn-scart.htm

Both my NTSC machines have this mod, it's a real easy one.

Thanks for the info, I didn't know the ntsc consoles were wired slightly differently to the pal consoles, but it works fine on my crt?

I'll be feeding it into a xrgb mini when it arrives so hopefully it will work through that ok on the plasma

As I say, it's only a single pin difference. On my own CRT I experienced a less than favorable image before the mod. Afterwards it was pin sharp.

The XRGB doesn't care about that pin either way so it will work perfectly.

Chase HQ looks so clean and good on the Saturn, judging by the screens posted here at least.

It does look pretty much arcade perfect, the only thing I don't like about it is the japanese voices and the fact it doesn't work very well with the analog pad(you have to use the d pad to switch gears and can't use the triggers for brake/accelerate)

As I say, it's only a single pin difference. On my own CRT I experienced a less than favorable image before the mod. Afterwards it was pin sharp.

The XRGB doesn't care about that pin either way so it will work perfectly.

Thanks for the info: appreciated.

Had a look for Daruis 2 on ebay, PAL copies were at least £50!

Anyways here are some linked thumbnail pics I took the other day on my CRT for anyone who's interested.

http://postimg.org/image/8o77cgvi3/

cj_iwakura

Is there a 360-compatible Saturn controller? I think SFIV AE at Evo will be on 360s, and my Saturn USB doesn't work. I think the Capcom versions are crap.

IrishNinja

shit yeah, who's getting that party started? i'm pretty tired but do maybe do a write-up if we don't have someone better/smarter about SHMUPs on hand

I don't know what you mean?

Salamander Deluxe Pack is just plain better on PS1.

Saturn isn't capable of outputting the same 256x224 resolution as the arcade version of Salamder does (but Playstation can).
So your options are an inelegant non-native scaled version that stretches the 256x224 image to 320x240 and looks ultra jaggy or a 1:1 pixel mapped version that leaves pillar boxes. While the latter doesn't sound too bad, and honestly looks much better, nothing in the 1:1 pixel mapped version will appear drawn correctly (circles will be oblong, etc.) when viewing on a standard 4:3 monitor as intended, because the aspect ratio is incorrect.

IrishNinja

don't listen to ol' 16, he crazy ~ saturn version looks lovely~

i hear he lives on a hill and builds a fort out of universal game cases

Top Bottom