• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I'm putting up a bunch of Dreamcast + Saturn games for sale in the BST thread and thought I'd plug it here if anyone might be interested.

Region free BIOS is a perfect solution - provided you have the tools to install it.

It is a Japanese BIOS modified to not check for region flagging. No need to be cautious. I might socket my BIOS in this particular Saturn.
What exactly would this require? I already have a switched console but I'm kind of interested in the process.

Sixfortyfive

On the subject of multi-region consoles, though, I did want to mention that some games are already coded to be played on systems from different regions. It's not terribly common, especially when it comes to dual Japan/USA support, but it does exist.

I found this out back when my old Saturn broke, and I ripped all of my games to my PC so that I could keep playing them through SSF. This line in the disc image has the relevant information if you'd ever want to check for it in your own games:

saturnregioncodes.png

The USA pack-in version of Virtua Fighter (pictured above) has region codes for Brazil, Korea, USA/Canada, and Taiwan.

The USA versions of NiGHTS and Virtua Cop 2, or at least the particular versions that I have, have both the U and J codes and can be played on American or Japanese consoles (verified by switching my own console to the appropriate region).

What I'm wondering is how many games out there are actually coded to play differently depending on what kind of console they're run on. If I'm not mistaken there's at least one Japanese shmup that does play in English when run on American consoles, but it's broken and incomplete in that mode.

Yeah. Saturn games aren't always locked to a single region code. I know NiGHTS is another game that has multiple region codes.

A region free BIOS is literally just de-soldering the old BIOS (through hole or SMD) and installing a similar chip with the flashed BIOS on it. Bad_Ad84 sells these chips for like £4 each over on ASSEMblergames.

http://madroms.satakore.com/#SRP

I use the above tool to make NTSC-U RPGs boot fine on my NTSC-J machines occasionally. Works a charm and lets you see region codes more easily too.

Sixfortyfive

^ This is why I'd assume that switches would be a safer bet in general, as it gives you more control over your system configuration.

Eh. As a European PAL titles are a big no go for me and NTSC-U titles seem a hassle to obtain so having pure NTSC-J systems is fine for me.

But if you like switches then that's cool too.

Sixfortyfive

Just to give a practical example on another system, I own a JP Mega Drive copy of Gunstar Heroes. It has both the JP ROM and the English ROM on the cartridge, but it will only boot on a JP or PAL system, not a US Genesis. If I start my Genesis in 50hz/English mode, then switch to 60hz/English after it successfully boots, then I get to play the English version at the proper speed. And if I want to play the JP version for whatever reason, then I can just start the system in 60hz/Japanese mode.

I haven't run into this sort of situation on a Saturn game yet but it would be nice to have the option.

Go put in Streets of Rage 2 and go to the character select screen and switch the JP/EN switch. Skate will turn to Sammy and vice versa.

And yeah, Thunder Force IV PAL will only boot on a PAL system but it hasn't been speed fixed so I can flip to 60Hz and play it properly after it has booted initially.

Mikhal

I have a Saturn with a region free BIOs. Too bad I don't have the regular Soukyugurentai to test. Only the Otokyo version. I'm assuming you can use the SSF emu with a region free BIOS to test if you have a copy of the normal game?

Ramune

So I went and just now blew on the RAM Cart directly and it now works. Well don't I feel silly. ^_^;

I got it in a trade years back with a poster named Sign of Zeta(who might still go by that today on various circles) on the Sector: NGP message board for my ST-Key and he had quite a few saves on it for stuff I don't own yet like:

Bomberman Sega Saturn
One of the Fire Pro games (FPS_6MEN_01 is the save data name, huge at 318 blocks btw!)
Internet Config (must have had the Sega Link)
KOF 95 & 97
Lunar Silver Star Story
A Macross game
Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter
Christmas Nights
Radiant Silvergun
Super Puzzle Fighter 2X
Touring Car Championship
ThunderForce V
Virtual Fighter Kids

Might have an idea on some games to get next. ;)

IrishNinja

my delayed lot from yamataokukus showed up!

Soukyugurentai
Deep Fear
Lunar 1/2
Snatcher
X-Men COTA
Puyo Puyo something
Last Bronx
X-Men vs SF w/4MB RAM
and a CIB Shining Force for mega drive cause i like color manuals & maps on the cheap

took a bit but Souky is awesome, barely had a chance to mess with the others - that completes my fighting wants, leaving only Fighting Vipers (JP for pepsiman!) which is cheap enough & can wait anyway

Teknoman

my delayed lot from yamataokukus showed up!

Soukyugurentai
Deep Fear
Lunar 1/2
Snatcher
X-Men COTA
Puyo Puyo something
Last Bronx
X-Men vs SF w/4MB RAM
and a CIB Shining Force for mega drive cause i like color manuals & maps on the cheap

took a bit but Souky is awesome, barely had a chance to mess with the others - that completes my fighting wants, leaving only Fighting Vipers (JP for pepsiman!) which is cheap enough & can wait anyway

If you get to deep fear before I do, you gotta let me know how the disc swapping works with an action replay.

IrishNinja

Shining Force III for $65...god, i cannot stop. Burning Rangers alone remains, unless a deal on Saturn Bomberman occurs.

If you get to deep fear before I do, you gotta let me know how the disc swapping works with an action replay.

ah, mine's region free so ive not been using the AR in a while, but i wanna say i read you can save at a certain point, turn it off & use the other disc or somesuch? i could swear there's a workaround

Seik

Banned
You should take a pic of your stuff, Irish. I'm interested to see how big your collection will be when you'll have everything you wanted. :p

Oh and great deal for that SFIII indeed, I bought mine for something around 95$ iirc.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I lucked out and got a CIB copy for $50 from That's Entertainment in Worcester - any MA resident should frequent this place because they often have ridiculous prices on stuff.

IrishNinja

That's a great price, congrats and enjoy!

You should take a pic of your stuff, Irish. I'm interested to see how big your collection will be when you'll have everything you wanted. :p

Oh and great deal for that SFIII indeed, I bought mine for something around 95$ iirc.

NOPE
even though he still has it listed for that price, dude just refunded my money with a hollow apology about an earlier buyer, pretty sure i was nearly there when he updated his thread with it. i guess i can't blame him if someone offered more, but even so, fuck that guy. NIGHT RUINED unless elevator action returns came in the mail, let's go check the mail

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
NOPE
even though he still has it listed for that price, dude just refunded my money with a hollow apology about an earlier buyer, pretty sure i was nearly there when he updated his thread with it. i guess i can't blame him if someone offered more, but even so, fuck that guy. NIGHT RUINED unless elevator action returns came in the mail, let's go check the mail
Was that on eBay? If so, isn't that against their ToS? Report his ass.

Celine

NOPE
How much have you paid for EAR?
That game continues to elude me ;_;

IrishNinja

nah, was a forum dude, swears someone paid an hour before, can't really do much. i bought Radirgy & SF III Alpha from him before so it's whatever, just a bummer.

EAR was $40 but yeah man, that took me forever to find! still isn't here yet either...

Just starting to get into Saturn collecting personally, starting with Nights, Daytona Championship, and Shining Force 3.

All that said, these things are worse than standard jewel cases to keep undamaged.

Is there a good source of replacement cases somewhere?

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Just starting to get into Saturn collecting personally, starting with Nights, Daytona Championship, and Shining Force 3.

All that said, these things are worse than standard jewel cases to keep undamaged.

Is there a good source of replacement cases somewhere?
NHL 96

Mercutio

God those USA Saturn gigantic Jewel-Cases are terrible. I'm so thankful that Sony swapped to regular CD cases so fast. I don't have any Saturn games without some kind of fracture line on the front.

Just got great condition copies of NBA Live 98 and NHL 98 for $2 each, and promptly trashed the discs and box art to reuse the box on better games. Time to replace those broken boxes on Galactic Attack and In the hunt.

Just got great condition copies of NBA Live 98 and NHL 98 for $2 each, and promptly trashed the discs and box art to reuse the box on better games. Time to replace those broken boxes on Galactic Attack and In the hunt.

This makes me sad. Even sports games deserve better than that. :(

I'd actually buy them and...play them!

This makes me sad. Even sports games deserve better than that. :(

I'd actually buy them and...play them!
I hear ya!
World Series Baseball 1, 2 and '98 are proudly displayed in my collection. Really enjoy those. I have a rather nice collection of baseball games on the NES and SNES too.

I'm very close to completing my Saturn collection; I've been working on it since February of last year. I have amassed pretty much all the rare and high priced games I wanted (keep in mind I have not the slightest interest in SRPGs). Only Taromaru (with stickers, registration card and obi) and another game I won't mention (since there is an auction ending soon for it and I don't want to jinx myself) elude me.

I have been on a major shopping spree the last ten days or so. Here's what I got (I make it a habit to get the US version of games released here): Clockwork Knight 2, Street Fighter Alpha 1, Sega Rally, Kyukyoko (sic) Tiger II Plus, Elevator Action 2, Astra Superstars and Christmas Nights Into Dreams (bought the American version of the disc which'll put inside the Japanese jewel case - as a matter of fact, I stole that great idea from someone in this very thread, so thanks, whoever you are!).

If there is any interest for it, I'll post the collection (sans Taromaru) once I have received all those games. In total, I'll have close to 65 titles.

World Series Baseball 2 on the Saturn is so damn good. Easily my favorite baseball game ever.

I also enjoyed the demo I have of the first one. I also have '95 on the Genesis, but it's not as good.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Today on Jeopardy the category was "Planet Names" and one of the answers was "The Sega ______ Game Console". Pretty surprising to see!

Also, I picked up "Blue Breaker" at VideogamesNY the other day... anyone play this game? It seems like it was a port of what was the PC-FX's biggest RPG. And it's an RPG mixed with a dating sim... sounds kinda interesting. I just saw turn-based menus and 2D graphics on the case and picked it up blindly :p

But damn they look good on a bookshelf.

Yeah, the giant jewelcases are great! They're so much better looking in a collection than the small little jewelcases are for sure. I don't mind that they crack easily, small jewelcases are often cracked too after all... either kind is fragile.

CrovaxPSO

A bit off topic, but I know a lot of people here buy from Yamatoku on eBay. Is he usually somewhat slow in responding or shipping out items? I paid for a couple things over a week ago and messaged him, but haven't heard anything at all.

Seik

Banned
A bit off topic, but I know a lot of people here buy from Yamatoku on eBay. Is he usually somewhat slow in responding or shipping out items? I paid for a couple things over a week ago and messaged him, but haven't heard anything at all.

Try messaging him again, but don't expect to get your stuff after just one week, especially if you only paid for the basic shipping. Takes at least 2-2.5 weeks to arrive in my case and I bought many times from him, never had a problem though.

CrovaxPSO

Try messaging him again, but don't expect to get your stuff after just one week, especially if you only paid for the basic shipping. Takes at least 2-2.5 weeks to arrive in my case and I bought many times from him, never had a problem though.

Yeah, I don't expect it to arrive in a week. What I meant is that I paid for them a week ago and messaged him to verify that he received payment, since I used the order combination form from the email he sends. I haven't heard back at all and was just curious if he's usually slow to respond since it seems like he deals with a lot of orders.

Jinto

I bought a Saturn off of Ebay yesterday. I've never even touched one before. The one I bought comes with an RF switch, so I'm gonna need to get different cables. I guess the best it can do without any modifications is S-Video. Can anyone recommend good cables?

The Saturn Comes with 2 controllers, so besides games, what else should I buy for it?

alf717

You could pick up an action replay 4 in 1 for imports or look into getting a mod chip to play imports. The internal mod chip will help out with games that require a RAM cart that is specific to the game. Importing is where you will find not only some of the best titles but also at the best prices. I got my Saturn for Mega Man titles but those games can now go for a high price in all three regions. I'm not a huge Virtua Fighter fan but Virtua Fighter 2 does look pretty darn good on the Saturn and plays well for an older fighter. I'm not sure of the best place for s-video cabes but I picked up some from eBay a very long time ago and they do the job. Another option is to pic up a SCART cable and SCART to YUV converter to get a system that outputs to component if your looking for something better than S-video.

Sixfortyfive

I bought a Saturn off of Ebay yesterday. I've never even touched one before. The one I bought comes with an RF switch, so I'm gonna need to get different cables. I guess the best it can do without any modifications is S-Video. Can anyone recommend good cables?

The Saturn Comes with 2 controllers, so besides games, what else should I buy for it?
The Saturn natively supports composite, s-video, and RGB, so get whatever one of those works best on your setup.

Test the system for a dead internal battery. If it asks you to set the date and time every time you start the system, open up the back panel and replace the CR2032.

Top Bottom