• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

kunonabi

The saturn doesn't seem to read ram carts which sucks since i was hoping to get rid of my US system. I wanted to pick up Tactical Fighter, Linda Cube, and Elevator Action Returns but availability and some steep prices put an end to that.

Okay, lots of pics incoming, we need more of them in this thread! My GF has taken over my PS4 and Infamous Second Son, so I had an excuse to play some Saturn in the next room!

Games of the evening were: Sega Ages Volume 1 and Sonic Jam

Ready to play:

Sega Ages Volume 1

Sonic Jam

The game has many cool features; lets you have spin dash in Sonic 1, has the moving clouds from the revised Sonic 1 in Japan, lets you connect Sonic & Knuckles to alle three Sonic games and saves atuomatically where you are. There's also a neat difficulty setting and the slow-down, when you are hit and the rings spring out of Sonic, is also gone!

The 3D Sonic World, a test ground for the Sonic Team. It saddens me that we never got a proper Sonic 32-bit. I like the look of this test world though, looks pretty.

Bonus pics!

Sega Saturn '97 Catalog

And since it's Sega, here's my Master System II

IrishNinja

nah, i think we did VF2 during arcadey month but there's no reason Fighting Vipers, Last Bronx, Megamix etc can't get some time in the sun!

baphomet

Just got home and found my brand new virtua stick has shown up in the mail (along with my ps1 negcon and some commodore 64 controller). Time to Tate the PVM and play some games.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
nah, i think we did VF2 during arcadey month but there's no reason Fighting Vipers, Last Bronx, Megamix etc can't get some time in the sun!

5QuvB8o.jpg

edit whoops you said LB

oh well

Slermy

The saturn doesn't seem to read ram carts which sucks since i was hoping to get rid of my US system. I wanted to pick up Tactical Fighter, Linda Cube, and Elevator Action Returns but availability and some steep prices put an end to that.

Not to derail the thread, but I think that 3DS XL looks insanely awesome. I just can't justify importing one though. :-/

kunonabi

Not to derail the thread, but I think that 3DS XL looks insanely awesome. I just can't justify importing it though. :-/

Like most 3DS units it looks so much better in person than it does in promotional shots. I got it used so it was like 160$ which wasn't so bad. There are good a 10 JP only games that I wanted which is my mark for picking up a system and I just love orange Nintendo systems.

Yeah, it's a shame about region locking. I would have imported Culdcept 3DS for sure.

Not to continue the off-topic discussion of course, but hey at least Culdcept started on Saturn (dat tangential relevance), lol.

oneida

No lie all the LB love is making my heart swell. Mine's in the mail -- those of you with the NA release, what does it have for a training mode? the JP version has a second disc with tutorial videos for every character and a training mode, I think.

My collection used to be a lot nicer.

isKUvamYA3Uu7.jpg

From 50+ games down to 13.

Even owned two copies of Guardian Heroes US at one point(first one I actively sought out for $50, second one I guessed right on an ebay bundle for $20). The XBLA version was announced shortly after I sold them both.

Actually I sold all my US games because I only own a JP system now and the cartridge slot is for crap.

kunonabi

Just bought Tactical Fighter and 2 Grey Saturn controllers off ebay since the one that came my with grey saturn is kind of busted.

oneida

I just want to be able to play Panzer Dragoon Saga just once! Never got a chance.

It's pretty good. try to get the UK demo disc instead of paying $300+ for the full game. The demo is disc 1 in its entirety. I don't think the game is worth what it goes for.

Khaz

It's pretty good. try to get the UK demo disc instead of paying $300+ for the full game. The demo is disc 1 in its entirety. I don't think the game is worth what it goes for.

No game is. I'm an advocate of modchipping or discswapping in such cases, you can make yourself a nice box with covers from the cover project. You won't have the real object like a collector, but the experience will be the same. Much better than playing in an emulator in any case. If I didn't score it for an insanely low price, I'd still be playing my burnt copy of Radiant Silvergun, complete with printed insert.

If you have a PS2 capable of playing imports, there's an arcade perfect version of Last Blade.

Man, I wish Last Blade was on the Saturn! But SNK only ported it to the PlayStation. Damn them.

There is actually a PlayStation 2 version of Last Blade, though...but, yeah... :p

No lie all the LB love is making my heart swell. Mine's in the mail -- those of you with the NA release, what does it have for a training mode? the JP version has a second disc with tutorial videos for every character and a training mode, I think.

I haven't played the game in a while, so maybe I'll go check for you and post some pictures or something. I'm pretty bored, anyway, so I don't mind.

Edit:
Aerial Combo Practice Mode said:

Aerial Combo Practice Mode lets you pick a character and combo to practice. You can choose to let the computer demonstrate the combo every time before you try, just once, or never. If you fail the combo, it starts over. If you clear it, it goes to the next combo.

It also tells you in the character select screen that some combos may not work on some characters.

Free Practice Mode said:

Free practice mode has zero options. It'll just show your inputs at the bottom of the screen. Heh.

You can also use a Saturn-style SF IV pad, which I found has excellent face and trigger buttons, but the Start and Back buttons are way too small - it's the only real downside to it.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
The d-pads in the Madcatz SF4 controllers are garbage that rip apart with light use. All 4 controllers owned between myself and 2 friends broke down pretty fast.

oneida

I haven't played the game in a while, so maybe I'll go check for you and post some pictures or something. I'm pretty bored, anyway, so I don't mind.

Edit:

Aerial Combo Practice Mode lets you pick a character and combo to practice. You can choose to let the computer demonstrate the combo every time before you try, just once, or never. If you fail the combo, it starts over. If you clear it, it goes to the next combo.

It also tells you in the character select screen that some combos may not work on some characters.

Free practice mode has zero options. It'll just show your inputs at the bottom of the screen. Heh.
This is really cool! Thanks. I'm interested in the evolution of training mode stuff, this seems super advanced for Saturn era. Combo demonstrations? wow!

Top Bottom