• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
the silly N64 vs Saturn debate prompted a nice night of NiGHTs and practicing XvSF infinites. DoDonpachi and Last Bronx are in the mail (yes, I didn't have LB yet!). what have you guys been playing?

kunonabi

the silly N64 vs Saturn debate prompted a nice night of NiGHTs and practicing XvSF infinites. DoDonpachi and Last Bronx are in the mail (yes, I didn't have LB yet!). what have you guys been playing?

Nothing since my Saturn is back at my San Antonio address. When I get back I'll probably play Burning Rangers, Tactical Fighter, and practice some XvsSF infinites as well. It really sucks we never got a proper home version of XvsSF.

This post encouraged me to break out the Saturn and play Elevator Action Returns.

...well after troubleshooting the PSOne LCD. The damned lamp wouldn't come on.

I really wish I had room for a CRT.

Teknoman

Finally figured out you arent really "supposed" to fight Yawn the first time you see it...and now i've finally hit the courtyard/garden.

Some parts of the game seem unnecessarily dark.

IrishNinja

what have you guys been playing?

Elevator Action Returns, everyday. broken up by some Chase HQ but not much else at the moment...i did just win Fighting Vipers (JP) for $5 off an ebay bundle a friend wanted in on, so i've that to look forward to!

Wereroku

Elevator Action Returns, everyday. broken up by some Chase HQ but not much else at the moment...i did just win Fighting Vipers (JP) for $5 off an ebay bundle a friend wanted in on, so i've that to look forward to!
You can now live out your fantasies of beating up Pepsi.

IrishNinja

was TF V really that bad? it'd been on my list based on prior awesomeness from the series

You can now live out your fantasies of beating up Pepsi.

heh i wont lie, it's one of the few besides Last Bronx that ive seen the US version on the cheap, but a) ive built up a fine JP fighter collection and b) pepsiman really sealed that deal!

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Got around to making some of these and I think I'm satisfied enough to print them out for my cd cases based on this. It just feels wrong to use DVD cases even if they are better. Oh well either way at least I won't have to look at some of the ugly US original covers. Thank you Google.

Lazily edited in MS paint and could be better, but I'm tired of having nothing at all for my games.

rjGUGPN.png
No way I'm using this.
7U181Ij.png
The original Dragonforce US box wasn't bad but I like this picture more.
KYgRUvW.png

5eBQZo0.png

Teknoman

was TF V really that bad? it'd been on my list based on prior awesomeness from the series

heh i wont lie, it's one of the few besides Last Bronx that ive seen the US version on the cheap, but a) ive built up a fine JP fighter collection and b) pepsiman really sealed that deal!

Its not bad, it just has that early 3D look. Still 60 fps though with a really good soundtrack. The enemies look cool imo, but the backgrounds do leave a little to be desired at times.

EDIT: I seriously hate Hunters. What the hell.

jHT81KYbF9sVx.jpg

EDIT: Aw yeah, eat Colt Python!

Tain

TFV's biggest crime is being too easy. It's pretty easy regardless of how you play, if I'm remembering right, but especially with the Free Range weapon.

I love the aesthetics, though. Some people can't stand the early 3D, but I think it's pretty clean-looking with some awesome backgrounds (apparently some of which are toned down on PSX). And the music is excellent.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Wtf is this shit. I ordered Sega Rally from Amazon and instead I get this Atari 2600 game made by Sega complete in box which is most likely worth more. I don't even have an Atari damn it. I'd be pissed if I paid tons for it but oh well.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
So...post pictures?

The only thing that's really funny about it is that it says the game order is for Star Wars Arcade for the Sega Genesis and they sent in a Star Trek for the 2600. It's the ultimate troll mistake.

Khaz

Wait, so the Amazon page advertised Sega Rally, the invoice said Star Wars Arcade 32X and you received Star Trek 2600? Man, the only thing these three have in common is they all start with an S lol. [edit] Oh, and they are all ports of an arcade game.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, so the Amazon page advertised Sega Rally, the invoice said Star Wars Arcade 32X and you received Star Trek 2600? Man, the only thing these three have in common is they all start with an S lol. [edit] Oh, and they are all ports of an arcade game.

Well you almost had it right. It didn't mention 32X anywhere. Still pretty much sums it up. I guess this is what I deserve paying 2 dollars for it.

Well you almost had it right. It didn't mention 32X anywhere. Still pretty much sums it up. I guess this is what I deserve paying 2 dollars for it.

Star Wars Arcade is arcade and 32X only, so that has to mean 32X. But anyway, complain and you should get your money back... but what, since that game might be worth more you don't want to?

I've only had the wrong thing get sent once, when on ebay I bought a copy of XGRA (GC) but they sent XGIII (GC). I complained and got my money back (and could keep the game, though I already had it so I didn't need it).

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
So I was letting my friend play easy mode Sonic 1 in Sonic Jam. Goddamn man. You beat Dark Souls yet you somehow let the Sonic 1 last boss in easy mode kill you. So interesting to let people who grew up with Mario games try out Sonic games I guess.

Mzo

The momentum and physics are completely different and alien for someone who grew up with Mario... I should know.

Once you get used to it the games are amazing, though.

I can't stand it when people say the Genesis Sonics have bad control. That is such a dumb thing to say.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
The momentum and physics are completely different and alien for someone who grew up with Mario... I should know.

Once you get used to it the games are amazing, though.

I can't stand it when people say the Genesis Sonics have bad control. That is such a dumb thing to say.

Well he never had problems with the controls thanks to that lovely Saturn dpad. However once he got the hang of it he got through most of Sonic 2 until I had to take over after he got a game over at Metropolis Zone.

Old Sonic games teach you patience for sure. You can go fast and die or take it slow and be careful so you don't run into shit. Though he did run into some hilarious glitches going super fast. Like stuff falling onto him that should have killed him yet it made him go through the ground and he could just jump out of it.

stack9902

Banned
Beautiful thread.

I don't have much to contribute as my only foray into Sega Saturn emulation was limited to running my original Christmas NiGHTS disk on an emulator a few years ago, but I look forward to contributions, configs and screenshots.

Given that most of the Saturn's incredible lineup has never been rereleased and is only remembered by a select few, I support any (legal) methods than allow gamers a chance to play on them.

amen, one of my favorite consoles of all time, right up there with the master system, genny and xbox 360. I have a wall of games, almost all of them, to my recollection I am missing either 2 or 3 titles. US, not other territories... Great console with great games, too bad it was killed in the US early, and didn't last like it did in the UK... my one gripe today is I can't get emulation working on my android phone, I would love to be able to take my sega saturn with me... lol oh well, one day.

IrishNinja

congrats Celine! it really did turn out to be one of my favorites for the system, glad to see more people catching it (and not for current ebay prices either)

Jams775

NEVER MIND I FIXED IT! Turns out I had to use some pliers to raise the thing that spins the disc and now it spins freely with the laser cover on. I got the fix from this video if it helps anyone else. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6osvS2qfFfk

Hey everyone, I bought a "defective" Saturn for $5 yesterday in hopes of fixing it (the store doesn't know what's wrong with the consoles, just that they don't work.

So It's actually a nicely kept console. It wasn't dirty on the inside or out. I cleaned the lens and blew out the inside even though it didn't really even need it. It was almost new.

So it had the no spinning disc problem. I took off the top, took off the black laser cover. Checked to see if I was getting a red glow while the laser tried to read a disc. It glowed fine so it isn't a dead laser. I put a game in and sure enough it spun up and the game played great! The console works perfectly. I probably didn't even need to adjust the intensity pot.

SO THE PROBLEM. When I put the laser cover back on, it made a weird clicking noise while a disc was running. Kind of like something being rubbed on a little. I checked around and for the life of me couldn't see anything catching. Everything has enough of a gap at least around the middle part and under the disc. When I turn the console off I noticed the disc spun down really fast as opposed to how they normally take a long time to spin down. So since it still was working I put the top cover back on and tested it one more time.

Now it doesn't spin at all! The disc only wants to spin with the laser cover off! Has anyone ran into this problem before? I'd sand off an edge if I could figure out where the hell it's rubbing but I can't.

Can anyone help me out here? I'm tempted to just leave the laser cover off and put the top back on but I'm sure that cover's there to protect against something important.

mr_chun

I just unearthed my Saturn and my only game - Nights. Looking into tracking down the two Panzer shooters.

What are some other solid exclusives that can be had for cheap?

Top Bottom