• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
vs cost of making carts instead of pressing CDs though. The number of cart games would have been sparse.

My thoughts as well. Cartridges are way too expensive. And while you might have reduced loading times and built in saves, you'll also have less capacity. And the kinds of games that would benefit most from built in saves are the kinds of games that could use the extra capacity!

I don't think anybody is gonna cut their revenue in half just to save loading times...

Taromaru is legitimately scarce for a Saturn game. Weren't there like 5000 copies made? Absurd prices though. I don't think I'm a big enough nut to succumb to that.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
new toys courtesy arcade gear (formerly known as jap-sai).
TV8qLfd.jpg

Jamix012

How import friendly is fighters megamix? I kind of want the version with Pepsiman, but if there's really any reading to be done I'm not up to it.

I have been buying a lot of Saturn games lately. A few weeks ago I got a complete Shining Wisdom for $54. Earlier today I bought Magic Knight Rayearth ($104), Shining the Holy Ark ($39), and Resident Evil ($24) online. They claimed everything was complete/in good shape. I sure hope so.

Bar81

I have been buying a lot of Saturn games lately. A few weeks ago I got a complete Shining Wisdom for $54. Earlier today I bought Magic Knight Rayearth ($104), Shining the Holy Ark ($39), and Resident Evil ($24) online. They claimed everything was complete/in good shape. I sure hope so.

Always get pics before you buy - at today's retarded prices you should always know what you're paying for.

koopas

Paypals pretty much always got your back if you went that route.

Yeah I got it through amazon so I can file a claim if he gives me a bunch of crap but at those prices as long as they are complete and in good shape I'm fine. Bad internet sellers are why I'm patient and try to get complete/good copies at a cheaper price and pretty much have given up on excellent/mint. I know for MKR complete copies pretty much start at $100 and sky rocket for ones in great condition. The one I bought was listed as like new but I doubt it.

IrishNinja

not bad for the current prices on those! still bummed i missed a $65 Shining Force III a few months back by less than an hour, that's still at the top of my list when i got $ again.

are Virtua Fighter Remix and Fighters Megamix in English if I buy the imports? Might pick up the imports for those games if that's the case.

not bad for the current prices on those! still bummed i missed a $65 Shining Force III a few months back by less than an hour, that's still at the top of my list when i got $ again.

Yeah, SF3 is really expensive. If that was complete than it was definitely a good price. I'm still kicking myself for passing a complete Dragon Force with Sticker and strategy guide for $80. When I changed my mind it was gone. I don't know why I thought I could better I almost never see good prices for Saturn games.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Not really sure where else to put this - which of the M2 digital compilations is the best get?
Sega Vintage Collection: Monster World (2012)
Sega Vintage Collection: Alex Kidd & Co. (2012)
Sega Vintage Collection: Golden Axe (2012)
Sega Vintage Collection: Streets of Rage (2012)
Sega Vintage Collection: ToeJam & Earl (2012)

Not really sure where else to put this - which of the M2 digital compilations is the best get?
Sega Vintage Collection: Monster World (2012)
Sega Vintage Collection: Alex Kidd & Co. (2012)
Sega Vintage Collection: Golden Axe (2012)
Sega Vintage Collection: Streets of Rage (2012)
Sega Vintage Collection: ToeJam & Earl (2012)

I can vouch for the Streets of Rage one, emulation is pretty good and it includes the EU and Japanese versions as well. If you pick it up and want to play online then let me know.

Teknoman

Yeah I got it through amazon so I can file a claim if he gives me a bunch of crap but at those prices as long as they are complete and in good shape I'm fine. Bad internet sellers are why I'm patient and try to get complete/good copies at a cheaper price and pretty much have given up on excellent/mint. I know for MKR complete copies pretty much start at $100 and sky rocket for ones in great condition. The one I bought was listed as like new but I doubt it.

Yeah with Amazon you'll be alright. Thought if someone has a sorta bare description, ask em for pictures or clarification. Alot of the time you'll be pleasantly surprised though. I got Illusion of Gaia complete for like 20 bucks and it was in amazing condition.

Sometimes some of the just launched sellers have some really good deals.

I remember buying Bloodlines off of Amazon from a Goodwill reseller for like $10-15 a few years ago. I expected cartridge-only.

I got CIB. It was the cardboard box, even, the one that nobody keeps around.

I have no idea how I pulled that one off, tbqh.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Every time I read complaints about camera or control on an older game I become immediately skeptical. I've seen too many games with merit raked over the coals just because they don't follow conventions that didn't yet exist.

I need to play BR.

IrishNinja

I've seen too many games with merit raked over the coals just because they don't follow conventions that didn't yet exist.

this is an excellent point & often overlooked. it's like asking why RE 1-3/CV had tank controls & not those of part 4, instead of focusing on how impressive the fixed camera angles of early 3D truly was in those hands.

cj_iwakura

I loved BR when it came out. It was rough when I replayed it last year, but only visually. The gameplay is fine.

What really sucks is getting lost, since you're on a timer, and if time runs out, explosions everywhere.

Every time I read complaints about camera or control on an older game I become immediately skeptical. I've seen too many games with merit raked over the coals just because they don't follow conventions that didn't yet exist.

I need to play BR.

the real villain of BR is the framerate imo

JEKKI

exactly.

the problems I have now I swear I didnt have them back when I played the game in 98 / 99,

but as I stated earlier, even then I couldnt beat the game so I'll be looking forward to getting to that point and remembering exactly why I couldnt beat it. Maybe it'll actually be the game's difficulty and not control/camera design I hope lol.

Mzo

I need to play BR.

BR plays a hell of a lot better with the 3D controller, so that could also be a thing, but believe it this time. The controls aren't pretty and the camera certainly doesn't help. It's possible to wrangle them in, I've beaten the game before, but it's understandable that people get frustrated.

Also the framerate sucks and it looks like dogshit.

It's still fun...

Teknoman

So just beat RE1 for the first time... and i'm confused. Ended up fighting 2 Tyrants in the lab with Wesker, rescued Jill, and then just escaped.

No final boss battle or anything.

EDIT: Wait, have to save Rebecca again at some point? No wonder she never ran into the Plant 42 room...

That seems odd to not have an actual final Tyrant battle just because of that.

On the bright side, i've beaten REmake before as Chris, so I know what to have expected (rocket launchers, self destruct sequences, etc).

I still want Burning Rangers.

Top Bottom