• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Mzo

So just beat RE1 for the first time... and i'm confused. Ended up fighting 2 Tyrants in the lab with Wesker, rescued Jill, and then just escaped.

No final boss battle or anything.

EDIT: Wait, have to save Rebecca again at some point? No wonder she never ran into the Plant 42 room...

That seems odd to not have an actual final Tyrant battle just because of that.

On the bright side, i've beaten REmake before as Chris, so I know what to have expected (rocket launchers, self destruct sequences, etc).

You deserve worse for not rescuing Rebecca >=[

Teknoman

You deserve worse for not rescuing Rebecca >=[

lol I remember hearing a scream, and tried to see where it was, but I guess I must have saved the game, and forgot about it later.

One thing that killed me about the game is that there was no arrow indicator on the map.

Celine

Good good, won two other Saturn games.
Cannot wait for them, especially one of them for sentimental reason lol

However to play I think I need a memory card (I don't keep the Saturn plugged into the power after I'm done playing) so it's time to buy an AR4+.
Any reliable place where it is sold at a cheap price?

Good good, won two other Saturn games.
Cannot wait for them, especially one of them for sentimental reason lol

However to play I think I need a memory card (I don't keep the Saturn plugged into the power after I'm done playing) so it's time to buy an AR4+.
Any reliable place where it is sold at a cheap price?

play-asia.com

Also, if you're losing your saves every time you turn the Saturn off: unplug the Saturn, look at the back of it, open the battery compartment, and make sure the ribbon has been properly removed from it. I wasn't able to save my games on the Saturn for the longest time because I never knew there was a ribbon in there designed to prevent the battery from running out on store shelves - it was a minor epiphany to me.

If said ribbon is removed/not present, then go to a store that sells batteries (grocery stores will suffice) and buy a CR2032. Trust me, it's worth having it as backup if the cartridge route goes bad for whatever reason. Obviously the cart will have more space, but nevertheless...

JudgeN

So i'm using SSFv12 R3 and it works great for Shining force 3 but when I open another window/stream/dota 2 on my second monitor it slows down the emulator for no reason. Anyone know a fix for this? Google has failed me not a lot of info on SSF.

Jamix012

Hey guys, I'm loving my new Saturn and the cartridge slot DOES work with my 4-in-1 action replay, but I also have a Sega BackUp Cartridge that doesn't seem to be detected by the saturn. Any ideas?

Mercutio

Hey guys, I'm loving my new Saturn and the cartridge slot DOES work with my 4-in-1 action replay, but I also have a Sega BackUp Cartridge that doesn't seem to be detected by the saturn. Any ideas?

You could try cleaning the cart slot too. A credit card with a cleaning cloth over it pushed into the slot, removed, then pushed in again in a different spot sometimes cleans well.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
now that I'm back home I can take a group photo.

BmtwRwA.jpg

Ommadawnyawn

Neo Member
Some questions about Dynamite Deka:
Is it true that I need to play the mini-game to gain extra credits?

Can I pick the other character somehow in single player?

How does everyone think this compares to Streets of Rage? Me, I think SoR flows better and has better music, but I like the weapons, humour and bosses here. QTEs annoy me but at least they don't seem to switch them around when you replay the game. I was surprised that it doesn't make use of all the buttons to make moves easier to pull off.

Play Asia is like $10 cheaper, though.

Then buy from Play Asia and save some cash.

Some questions about Dynamite Deka:
Is it true that I need to play the mini-game to gain extra credits?

Can I pick the other character somehow in single player?

How does everyone think this compares to Streets of Rage? Me, I think SoR flows better and has better music, but I like the weapons, humour and bosses here. QTEs annoy me but at least they don't seem to switch them around when you replay the game. I was surprised that it doesn't make use of all the buttons to make moves easier to pull off.

Dynamite Deka is a loading disaster on Saturn. That really destroys the enjoyment for me. Not sure why you're comparing it to SoR, but I think SoR is better.

Ommadawnyawn

Neo Member
I wouldn't call ~3 seconds from time to time a disaster. Playing the US version though so maybe they improved on it? I was surprised at the loading screen on boot up though, that's kind of sloppy to me.

It's in the same genre and made by Sega, so why not?

soultron

Banned
Picked up Virtual On last weekend ($50, ouch!) and I'm pumped to play it on my PC. I have a 144Hz monitor and a 360 gamepad so I'm hoping the experience will be decent!

I really want to play on a Saturn + CRT but I'm still trying to find a decent deal on a working, complete Saturn around where I live.

As a kid who actually owned a Saturn, I wish I had held onto it because adult me really wants to play some of the platform's standouts that we're never going to see HD ports of.

^^^
I have fond memories of the Saturn ports on PC - Worldwide Soccer, specifically. As for Virtual On, the Saturn version can slow down at times so I assume the PC version is superior.

Probably going to be picking up Sexy Parodius soon. My first Parodius game.

IrishNinja

So, what are you guys' thoughts on Shinobi Legions?

it's not a bad Shinobi title, i think it got shat on disproportionately. It's a step down from the majesty of 3 but not a steep one, and the cheesy FMV stuff is a nice time capsule for me. i expected far far worse...most of the basic attacks/tropes are there.

like Die Hard Arcade, it's creeping above $40 with this stupid bubble and i don't know that it commands that price. it's the only Saturn game i lack the manual for as a result.

baphomet

I really enjoy it personally. Super cheesy cutscenes intercut between a good shinobi title. Not as fun as 2 or 3, but its better than people would have you believe. I think Europe actually got a better soundtrack though.

Teknoman

^it's Bubble Bobble, i can't imagine it's not fun co-op.

But would it be better than just rolling with the NES game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP-UykvIsnY

Well the intro sure is...trippy...heh.

I really enjoy it personally. Super cheesy cutscenes intercut between a good shinobi title. Not as fun as 2 or 3, but its better than people would have you believe. I think Europe actually got a better soundtrack though.

Yup dat Richard J.

And so its probably going to be a bit more expensive :x

c0de

So just beat RE1 for the first time... and i'm confused. Ended up fighting 2 Tyrants in the lab with Wesker, rescued Jill, and then just escaped.

No final boss battle or anything.

EDIT: Wait, have to save Rebecca again at some point? No wonder she never ran into the Plant 42 room...

That seems odd to not have an actual final Tyrant battle just because of that.

On the bright side, i've beaten REmake before as Chris, so I know what to have expected (rocket launchers, self destruct sequences, etc).

I still want Burning Rangers.

There are several ways/paths of decisions which determine the end of the game.

Slermy

Not really sure where else to put this - which of the M2 digital compilations is the best get?
Sega Vintage Collection: Monster World (2012)
Sega Vintage Collection: Alex Kidd & Co. (2012)
Sega Vintage Collection: Golden Axe (2012)
Sega Vintage Collection: Streets of Rage (2012)
Sega Vintage Collection: ToeJam & Earl (2012)

I know I'm late on responding to this, but I have the Monster World collection, and it is phenomenal. If you're a Galaxy Force fan, that collection is pretty awesome too, but a bit dated now that the 3DS has the definitive port.

I agree with the above posts, it's not as good as the Genny titles, but still pretty good.

Khaz

The Japan-only PS2 version of Virtual On is good.

f0002172_11384669.jpg

If you already have a PS2 it's probably the version to own. It's a good port and the Dual Shock is a good alternative to the Twin Stick.

I like it. It ain't ainywhere near as tight as the Genesis games, but it's decent fun and the decoupling of cut and shuriken commands cannot be understated.

IIRC it was available in Super Shinobi II with a cheat code and a 6-button controller. But having it by default makes it the best version gameplay-wise imho. My most played of the trilogy.

Mikhal

I'm so used to playing Shinobi 3 that it just feels weird playing the game with the decoupled shuriken/sword when I recently played Shinobi Legions and 3D Classic Shinobi 3 in 6 button mode. Old habits die hard. :(

In about to be every other persons best friend here soon aren't i?
My last statement I was wrong. It seems I WILL be best friends with every other member here. Ahh, back to the pms.
I don't want to be an asshole, but I hope people are being cautious about a new member showing up handing out so many games for such apparently good prices.

He is days old on GAF, not very old on eBay:

His listings either contain no photos, or stock photos on eBay. He has posted no pictures here on GAF, while his little store seems to have everything.

The couple members I've PM'd here have said he has had some pretty rare stuff, and still offered no photos despite pending sales.

His GAF profile says nothing about owning a gaming shop:

This morning when he was supposedly selling Dreamcasts on eBay like they were going out of style, the only one I actually saw listed, he ended himself:

Link here.

I hope I'm wrong, but he's making me tingle the way he's going into a bunch of retro threads claiming to have the greatest stash there is. Be smart people, ask for proof of items, never use paypal gift with new members. As of right now, he is giving no proof to anyone, but jumping into every retro thread there is like a gaming Jesus. This smells of scam.

Celine

Solo Crisis

Solo Crisis is the first and last game directly published by legendary Quintet (ActRaiser, Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, Terranigma).
It is a strategy game with RPG elements that reminds sometime ActRaiser (except no 2D action sections and a more deep strategic part) also because the project began as an ActRaiser remake (ActRaiser Gaiden/3) and only later morphed into a self standing game.
Solo Crisis is also the first and last Quintet game post-SNES to be characterized by the duality theme ("good" and "evil" being faces of the same coin) for which the team lead by Tomoyoshi Miyazaki was famous.
In fact the 3D map hosts in one surface the humans ("good") and in the other one the demons ("evil") and both side are interconnected (for example there is a spell to change the terrain which has the opposite effect on the other side).
I don't think Solo Crisis sold that well probably because it was released in 1998 when the Saturn was dying in Japan (was dead everywhere else) and it is likely the developer's demise began with this game.
After a few months Quintet released Code R ,always for Saturn, and began a few minor collaborations until the company disappeared mysteriously in early 2000.

LQlhjAWl.jpg

Solo Crisis

Solo Crisis is the first and last game directly published by legendary Quintet (ActRaiser, Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, Terranigma).
It is a strategy game with RPG elements that reminds sometime ActRaiser (except no 2D action sections and a more deep strategic part) also because the project began as an ActRaiser remake (ActRaiser Gaiden/3) and only later morphed into a self standing game.
Solo Crisis is also the first and last Quintet game post-SNES to be characterized by the duality theme ("good" and "evil" being faces of the same coin) for which the team lead by Tomoyoshi Miyazaki was famous.
In fact the 3D map hosts in one surface the humans ("good") and in the other one the demons ("evil") and both side are interconnected (for example there is a spell to change the terrain which has the opposite effect on the other side).
I don't think Solo Crisis sold that well probably because it was released in 1998 when the Saturn was dying in Japan (was dead everywhere else) and it is likely the developer's demise began with this game.
After a few months Quintet released Code R ,always for Saturn, and began a few minor collaborations until the company disappeared mysteriously in early 2000.

LQlhjAWl.jpg

Sounds liek a neat game. I had never heard of it.

Celine

Top Bottom