• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Crisium

Interestingly enough, the very last Saturn game, Magic Knight Rayearth, isn't nearly as sought after. I bought it when it came out, same as Burning Rangers.

I just want to take this opportunity to say that Magic Knight Rayearth is a very good game. I certainly like it better than Burning Rangers. Definitely one of my top 15 Saturn games. I'm sad it's usually excluded from top 32-bit games discussions (same with Bulk Slash, another forgotten gem).

cj_iwakura

I just want to take this opportunity to say that Magic Knight Rayearth is a very good game. I certainly like it better than Burning Rangers. Definitely one of my top 15 Saturn games. I'm sad it's usually excluded from top 32-bit games discussions (same with Bulk Slash, another forgotten gem).

Also helps that it's 2d, so it's aged very well.

IrishNinja

see, that's the thing...paying $110 for MKR stung, but i get it: WD release, mad late, okay.

Burning Rangers...that's a $50 game. i'd pay like $75 cause i love Naka & new IP's but the fact that some dudes on ebay decided it's worth double that = suckadick & call me back when the bubble bursts.

Khaz

What are the standout 2d games in your opinion?

There's so many of them...

Magic Knight Rayearth
Albert Odyssey
The Story of Thor 2
Sonic Jam
Saturn Bomberman
Shinobi X (it's ugly but it's good)
Keio Flying Squadron 2
Earthworm Jim 2

(Just listing the ones I own, I want to add Astal and Silhouette Mirage to that list)

So many 2D fighters like X-Men, King of Fighters, Street Fighters...
So many Shmups...

Galdelico

Thanks sir (loved ZAMN, back in the days).

I have another couple of questions for you guys.
So far I collected exclusively japanese imports and played them on a (white) japanese console. I'm not really interested in PAL games but for a few titles I still have on my wishlist I'd rather buy their US versions... So, to the questions:
- I've got a 4M Action Replay Plus as a memory/RAM cart but I know it can also work as a multi-region adapter... Is there anyone here who can give me a feedback about how good/bad this thing works for that matter?
- Also, is it usually ok for a region X Saturn to run region Y games through adapters instead of hardware mods?
Thanks in advance!

Sapiens

I really need to play Silhouette Mirage one of these days. I don't want to bother with the PS version.

Why did I sell my japanese saturn...

Is anyone on here willing to sell a boxed, model 1 or 2 working Saturn to a guy in Canada?

- I've got a 4M Action Replay Plus as a memory/RAM cart but I know it can also work as a multi-region adapter... Is there anyone here who can give me a feedback about how good/bad this thing works for that matter?

It works fine. All it does is skip the region check. The only game that should give you a problem is Panzer Dragoon Saga, which will ask you to remove the cartridge to play, but you can circumvent that with a code. I've had mine for about 10 years, and I've had zero problems with it besides the Panzer Dragoon Saga thing.

Galdelico

Thanks very much!
As horrible as it sounds, I should be 100% fine because I don't plan to buy PDS (I already own Azel and in general my favourites in the series remain Zwei and Orta :p): aiming to US Magic Knight Rayearth and Albert Odyssey instead. :)

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I've got a 4M Action Replay Plus as a memory/RAM cart but I know it can also work as a multi-region adapter... Is there anyone here who can give me a feedback about how good/bad this thing works for that matter?

I haven't had much issue with mine. Half my Saturn library is imports and my stuff seems to be running just fine. It will also work for most fighting games that need a 4MB RAM cart like Vampire Savior. I think there's some incompatibilities with one or more of some of the SNK fighters though.

The King of Fighters '95 won't run with it because it requires a special ROM cart that contains game data in it. You can switch between the Action Replay cart and the ROM cart really quick while it's loading to get it to work, but it's tricky and might mess up the cartridge slot, so I really wouldn't recommend it.

The rest of the SNK games should work fine, as far as I know.

It is worth noting that depending on when your 4-in-1 was manufactured, it may or may not have some compatibility issues with a few Capcom fighters (notably Vampire Savior and Marvel Super Heroes Vs. Street Fighter)

Galdelico

Thanks guys!

I haven't had much issue with mine. Half my Saturn library is imports and my stuff seems to be running just fine. It will also work for most fighting games that need a 4MB RAM cart like Vampire Savior. I think there's some incompatibilities with one or more of some of the SNK fighters though.

The King of Fighters '95 won't run with it because it requires a special ROM cart that contains game data in it. You can switch between the Action Replay cart and the ROM cart really quick while it's loading to get it to work, but it's tricky and might mess up the cartridge slot, so I really wouldn't recommend it.

The rest of the SNK games should work fine, as far as I know.

Not a problem, here, since my Saturn is Japanese so when I want to play games such as KoF'95 and Ultraman (which uses a ROM cart very similar to KoF's) I just take the AR+ out.

It is worth noting that depending on when your 4-in-1 was manufactured, it may or may not have some compatibility issues with a few Capcom fighters (notably Vampire Savior and Marvel Super Heroes Vs. Street Fighter)

Yeah, I read about it but I assume mine is ok since it runs Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter and Street Fighter Zero 3 just fine.
Or maybe you're talking about subtle bugs I may haven't noticed? The only issues I had/have once in a while with my AR+ are with Real Bout Fatal Fury (it causes graphical glitches like Mary's dog or Andy's scarf and fireball appering all messed up).

Yeah, I read about it but I assume mine is ok since it runs Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter and Street Fighter Zero 3 just fine.
Or maybe you're talking about subtle bugs I may haven't noticed? The only issues I had/have once in a while with my AR+ are with Real Bout Fatal Fury (it causes graphical glitches like Mary's dog or Andy's scarf and fireball appering all messed up).

If MSHvSF runs well then yeah, you're good.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Anyone know of the differences between the two versions of Cyberbots?

CyberbotsFMM_Saturn_JP_Box_Front.jpg
CyberbotsFMM_Saturn_JP_Box_Front_LE_JewelCase.jpg

Yeah I don't think there's a version that comes with the ram cart. It does support 1MB tho.

I couldn't really tell a difference in animation or loading improvements from what I remember though. Would be interesting to compare the differences side by side.

JEKKI

played Twinbee yesterday at a gaming party...

wtheck this game is confusing lol

I'm glad it only took til the end of April to finally, if very briefly, celebrate the month of March in this Year of the Saturn

Wereroku

So after the last Unprofessional Fridays my lady forced me to order a copy of Saturn Pocket Fighters since she likes the look of it. Do I need to set my 4-1 to 4m or 1m mode for it or does the automatic setting work well?

Yeah I don't think there's a version that comes with the ram cart. It does support 1MB tho.

I couldn't really tell a difference in animation or loading improvements from what I remember though. Would be interesting to compare the differences side by side.

Considering the problems many 1MB games have with Action Replay carts, you'd probably need someone with a Japanese or modded system and actual 1MB cart, to make sure that you'd get the RAM-cart-enhanced mode looking (and loading) like it should...

I was playing it on my Japanese Saturn with the official 4MB cart. Haven't used an AR in years.

Next time I play I'll use the official 1MB card. I believe one came with my Waku Waku 7.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
As much as I regret having to go with this version I got Megaman X 3 for Saturn for 20 something dollars. I needed some Japanese game to test my action replay anyways. At least I can kind of say that I have Megaman X1-8 now. Besides all that it's still playable. I also think I like using the Saturn controls over the SNES/PS1 games.

It could be worse I guess.

Teknoman

As much as I regret having to go with this version I got Megaman X 3 for Saturn for 20 something dollars. I needed some Japanese game to test my action replay anyways. At least I can kind of say that I have Megaman X1-8 now. Besides all that it's still playable. I also think I like using the Saturn controls over the SNES/PS1 games.

It could be worse I guess.

The sad thing is that the Genesis probably could've done the game justice if that was it's original platform.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
The sad thing is that the Genesis probably could've done the game justice if that was it's original platform.

I have no doubt about that. The only thing the Genesis versions of X1-3 would have needed to do to get it working is pressing start to switch weapons if players only had the 3 button controller.

jamsy

I never had a Saturn, but when I had the chance to buy a couple rare games for what I thought was a good price some years back (I think I paid $75 for Panzer Dragoon Saga, Magic Knight Rayearth, Albert Odyssey and some other lesser known RPG), I jumped on the deal. I ended up borrowing a friend's Saturn but it somehow stopped working a day after...never did get another one for some reason.

And so I never did get to experience any of these games. They're just sitting at my parents' house and have been for years.

How well do these games run via emulation on a PC? I'd love for them to be playable on a handheld, but I read that the Saturn's funky innards are very difficult to emulate...

cj_iwakura

I never had a Saturn, but when I had the chance to buy a couple rare games for what I thought was a good price some years back (I think I paid $75 for Panzer Dragoon Saga, Magic Knight Rayearth, Albert Odyssey and some other lesser known RPG), I jumped on the deal. I ended up borrowing a friend's Saturn but it somehow stopped working a day after...never did get another one for some reason.

And so I never did get to experience any of these games. They're just sitting at my parents' house and have been for years.

How well do these games run via emulation on a PC? I'd love for them to be playable on a handheld, but I read that the Saturn's funky innards are very difficult to emulate...

MKR was visually glitchy, but otherwise fine.

I was always told the ram slot was for genesis games and was extremely disappointed when I finally got one :(

I wonder if it actually was though? At least I heard it was thought that developers could choose between making cd-rom games or cartridge ones, but somewhere along the line they must have ditched the idea.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I wonder if it actually was though? At least I heard it was thought that developers could choose between making cd-rom games or cartridge ones, but somewhere along the line they must have ditched the idea.

Why would you even choose to make a cartridge game?

Top Bottom