• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Mercutio

There may be a capacitor, but it's probably more likely that it just uses a trickle-charge to keep the save chip running while the system is plugged in, so you'll only learn your battery is dead if you unplug the system or have a power outage.

In comparison, the Dreamcasts' clock battery only charges when the system is on, and many have died -- I need to set the clock pretty much every time I turn the system on, annoyingly. I know it's rechargeable, but there is obviously a limit to how long it lasts...

If you mean the Memory Base 128 (or Save-Kun), what you need is one of the games with a built-in memory manager that lets you copy banks of memory between the MB128 and the system -- there is no built-in manager, so only games designed to support the MB128 can see it. I use Emerald Dragon's manager, since it's simple and easy to use (hold Up when you hit Run to start t the game from the CD system menu). The batteries should last at least six months per set. The MB128 also does have a capacitor in it, but it won't last long at all when the batteries run out -- maybe an hour, not overnight even. It will draw power from the system to keep files as long as you keep the system on even if the batteries are removed, though, which is nice.

I replaced the clock battery in my DC, but it seems like I've never had it on long enough to recharge it. It now acts as dead as my old one. Bummer.

I have the Memory Base 128, I think. I actually have a copy of Emerald Dragon too! I bought it for like $5 ages ago, and it's just been sitting on my shelf. I should connect everything and give it a try.

Khaz

I have a completely dead battery in my Saturn. If I wait more than a few seconds between switching the console off and on again, I'm greeted with the configuration screen again. So nope, leaving it plugged in doesn't keep saves with a dead battery, presumably doesn't help with battery life either. Not with my console anyway.

BTails

Thankfully the batteries are cheap. I bought a 2-pack in my local grocery store for about $8 (Duracell brand). If I would've bought them online, it would've been 5 for $8.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Most of my small electronics comes from eBay now, everything is so cheap it's ridiculous.
Be careful about buying cheap generic electronics from China. Sometimes you're getting what you're paying for.

Something like a simple lithium battery might be fine, but I've heard horror stories of faulty power adapters and whatnot that operate way outside of the range that they're rated for, resulting in some serious property damage.

I've recently set up my old Sega Saturn again, and have been playing Shining the Holy Ark. I never finished it the first time, though my wife did...it's here favourite RPG ever. I love it too, especially the music. By the way, this is my first post on the GAF. Can't think of a better thread to post in than the one dedicated to my favourite console! :)

14620849935_c49a0bbe61_z_d.jpg

14597841686_2361bcfee5_z_d.jpg

14620842345_1d4faf40c2_z_d.jpg

Khaz

An ever elusive Saturn controller for PS2 is currently on auction at yakutomo classics. It went to over 60$ in less than a day and there is still two days before the end of the auction. Watch as it goes to insane levels of absurd Saturday.
http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=311007796224&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:FR:3160
I mean Saturn controllers are cool and I'd love to have one for my Playstation consoles, but come on, these prices are ridiculous.

Teknoman

Hyper Duel fund: $50 / $300.
$250 to go lol.

Its soooo tempting to just go after some of the less pricey wants with these rewards points...but i'm gonna keep saving em up. Game better not go up in price any more than it is...

Teknoman

sheeeit, i remember when it was "just" two hunnid

Yeah its getting stupid pricey. Hell just gimme the disc only for like 150 or something. Still contemplating going after the "lower" ones, but I tell myself "If you use the points on Burning Rangers now, Hyper Duel will be 100 bucks more later".

Tain

I have a lot of nostalgia for Shining the Holy Ark yet I never beat it. Maybe some day! Very rad music.

lol, how much does a Hyper Duel PCB go for? I know the Saturn version is a visual revamp, but still.

Khaz

I really like Shining the Holy Ark but I really couldn't pass the latter levels without a guide and I got fed up with the one where you have to
walk on the ceiling or something
. I stopped there or shortly after. It's a good game but maybe too long for me?

Mercutio

Hyper Duel fund: $50 / $300.
$250 to go lol.

Its soooo tempting to just go after some of the less pricey wants with these rewards points...but i'm gonna keep saving em up. Game better not go up in price any more than it is...

Hyperduel is one of the best rationalizations for having your Saturn modded to play burns.

Different soundtrack, though. Richard Jacques redid the EU version's soundtrack (a la Sonic CD), and some people prefer that one.

Don't think it'd work on an NTSC-U unit, though.

Teknoman

Different soundtrack, though. Richard Jacques redid the EU version's soundtrack (a la Sonic CD), and some people prefer that one.

Don't think it'd work on an NTSC-U unit, though.

Shouldnt it with the Action Replay? And yeah thats why I want it. Any soundtrack done by Richard Jacques is automatically awesome. Its a travesty that the game doesnt have a universally good soundtrack like the rest.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Does the AI in Virtua Fighter 2 cheat or am I just shit?
Probably both.

There is some sort of pattern-recognition built into the AI IIRC, although I can't remember if it's applied to every mode. Turn the Learning option off and delete the corresponding data in the system menu to disable this.

Jamix012

Are they any issues running PAL games on NTSC systems with a 4-in-1? I have an upscaler than can deal with the resolution and framerate.

Khaz

So yeah I was playing Metal Slug on my Euro Saturn to test my newly installed 50/60Hz switch and, while it played right, I had some massive slowdown. I came upon this blog post about it, and apparently it's all the fault of my Action Replay 4M and I should play it with the 1M cartridge to negate all the slowdowns. So I went away and bought a 1M cartridge, along with the Jp versions of King of Fighters 96 and 97 because why not.

I just forgot a tiny problem: I need my Action replay to even launch the game! Dammit I feel so silly now. Oh well, I needed an excuse to region-mod the thing anyway.

Teknoman

Im weak. I caved and used my points to get Shining Force CD.

lol actually I think im just going to grab all the rest of the "cheaper" hard to find games I want, and save Hyper Duel for last. Damn thing is even more expensive than Panzer Dragoon Saga atm, and honestly while I like shoot em ups, I like RPGs and strange action games more.

Khaz

Are they any issues running PAL games on NTSC systems with a 4-in-1? I have an upscaler than can deal with the resolution and framerate.

http://www.segasaturn.co.uk/games/sega_saturn_pal.html

The 4in1 is just a passthrough, it doesn't do anything to your system resolution and refresh rate.

All the PAL optimised games will play too fast, will be distorted vertically (stuff will be thinner) and you will be missing 48 lines on top and bottom of the screen, cutting off 20% of the picture.

Jamix012

The 4in1 is just a passthrough, it doesn't do anything to your system resolution and refresh rate.

All the PAL optimised games will play too fast, will be distorted vertically (stuff will be thinner) and you will be missing 48 lines on top and bottom of the screen, cutting off 20% of the picture.

Ok thanks! But what about games that aren't PAL optimised? They'd run fine?

Krejlooc

Banned
I have no idea what I'll do with my PC Engine when I move someday though. I imagine it will be like that Frogger episode of Seinfeld. I've got one of those AA powered memory banks, but NO idea how to use the damned thing. I'll have to force a Japanese speaking friend to guide me through the process, or face the consequences of losing my Rondo of Blood save.

The PC Engine works by being powered on at least once every few months, not just by being plugged in.

Beyond the normal methods of backup (Tenoke bank, etc) you can use this:

http://www.chrismcovell.com/creations.html

look for "BRAM tool," it's an iso that you can burn that lets you manually view your BRAM and edit it as well. Just take a snapshot of the screen for each of your saves with your phone or something and if you ever need to restore the save, just re-enter the thing like a very long password.

There was talks a long time ago about being able to dump BRAM saves out of the PC Engine to a PC as streaming audio, which could then be burned to an ISO to be restored, but I don't think the author ever went through with it. Still, a photo and some time can permanently backup your PC Engine saves.

Beartruck

This explains why my PAL demo disc of Panzer Dragoon Saga seems to run faster than my japanese copy. Thanks for the tip.

BTails

Im weak. I caved and used my points to get Shining Force CD.

lol actually I think im just going to grab all the rest of the "cheaper" hard to find games I want, and save Hyper Duel for last. Damn thing is even more expensive than Panzer Dragoon Saga atm, and honestly while I like shoot em ups, I like RPGs and strange action games more.

I'm in the same boat, saving like you are. Currently my retro fund is going towards an XRGB (About halfway there, whoo!), and then it'll probably become the "Panzer Dragoon Saga / Don't tell my wife how expensive this game is" fund.

It's too bad for people here in the US that Deep Fear and Formula Karts, two games not released in the US, are PAL-optimized... and kind of weird that Z isn't, considering that the console ports of Z were only ever released in Europe! (We only got the PC version.)

Don't PAL-optimized games running on NTSC often not hold to the frame and frequently are in B&W, too? I've heard of both of those things for sure, though I think the problems vary between games or systems.

Krejlooc

Banned
It's too bad for people here in the US that Deep Fear and Formula Karts, two games not released in the US, are PAL-optimized... and kind of weird that Z isn't, considering that the console ports of Z were only ever released in Europe! (We only got the PC version.)

Don't PAL-optimized games running on NTSC often not hold to the frame and frequently are in B&W, too? I've heard of both of those things for sure, though I think the problems vary between games or systems.

Those are two related, but independent problems. A game using the PAL color system run on a TV that can only support NTSC color will appear in black and white. A game running in 50 hz on a TV that only supports 60 hz might not have the frame adjusted correctly, or might run too fast.

Sometimes you'll run into TVs that support 50 hz display, but not PAL color systems. I have an SDTV that's like that. No rolling picture, correct line count, but black and white color without a box to convert PAL->NTSC color.

Teknoman

Im just glad Deep Fear's voices are in english. At least you can tell whats going on...even though you have to feel your way through menus.

Ramune

Must have lucked out with Keio Flying Squadron 2. That game runs perfectly...although the between chapter audios never get a chance to finish the "Coming up next..." part of the dialogue. XD

Krejlooc

Banned
Being that this is a Sega Saturn thread, I'd figure I'd ask here: Does anybody else ever put together translation guides for their text-heavy Saturn games? I like to pool all the resources I can into building one comprehensive guide that could get anybody through the game, even if it's not really necessary. An example would be a guide I put together for Dracula X: Nocturne in the Moonlight. Using some guides from the castlevania wiki that listed the japanese name for each item in the game alongside their english translation and description, plus the story dump from the PSX copy of the game, plus Sega Saturn Magazine's Castlevania guide, I put together a big thick binder that will let you basically play the entire game as though it was in english.

I've done this with Wachenroder, Grandia, and Princess Crown (although that was me more printing out a very large already pre-assembled guide instead) as well.

Anyone else gone through saturn games this way? I'm knee deep in another playthrough of Grandia.

Top Bottom