• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

TnK

The saturn was the first old school system I started collecting. I have 2 saturns, American and JP, and both are in mint condition.

What are the best games on the system?

Joined the import Saturn ranks. Still waiting on DoDonPachi, Rockman X3, and Vampire Savior to arrive, then I plan to focus on some more Shmups, although I may have to get the Capcom Generation 2 disc as I quite enjoy the Ghost's and Goblins series.

Just wanted to say that I like you collection of consoles. :)

cj_iwakura

The saturn was the first old school system I started collecting. I have 2 saturns, American and JP, and both are in mint condition.

What are the best games on the system?

Some are reasonable. Personally, being an RPG nut, I say Dragon Force, Magic Knight Rayearth, Shining The Holy Ark, NiGHTS, Mystaria/Blazing Heroes, and for something cheap, the Macross shmup.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Tallied up my Saturn collection today. Any suggestions on what I could add to the list that won't break the bank? Missing some of the most expensive shooters, of course.

95% of the games are fully boxed and in excellent condition. A handful of US games are disc only, though, due to circumstances at the time. It's definitely a very fun system to collect for.

1. Albert Odyssey
  2. Astal
  3. Azel Panzer Dragoon Saga
  4. Battle of Iron Chef
  5. Biohazard
  6. Brain Dead 13
  7. Bug
  8. Burning Rangers
  9. Christmas Nights
  10. Civilization
  11. Clockworks
  12. Croc! Pau-Pau Island
  13. Clockwork Knight
  14. Clockwork Knight 2
  15. Command and Conquer
  16. Crimewave
  17. Crusader No Remorse
  18. Cyber Doll
  19. D
  20. Dark Savior
  21. Darius Gaiden
  22. Dead or Alive
  23. DecAthlete
  24. Denpa Shonen-teki game
  25. Destruction Derby
  26. Discworld
  27. Dynamite Deka
  28. Earthworm Jim 2
  29. Enemy Zero
  30. Fighters Megamix
  31. Fighting Vipers
  32. Fire Pro Gaiden Blazing Tornado
  33. Fire Pro Wrestling S 6 Men Scramble
  34. Fuunsaiki
  35. Galactic Attack
  36. Gex
  37. Godzilla -Rettoushinnkann-
  38. Gokujyo Parodius-Da! Deluxe Pack
  39. Grandia
  40. Grandia Digital Museum
  41. Guardian Heroes
  42. Last Bronx
  43. Layer Section
  44. Loaded
  45. Loder Runner The Legend Returns
  46. The Lost World JP
  47. Machine Head
  48. Magical Drop III
  49. Manx TT Superbike
  50. Mechwarrior 2
  51. Megaman X4
  52. Mister Bones
  53. NBA Jam Tournament Edition
  54. Neon Genesis Evangelion
  55. NiGHTS Into Dreams...
  56. Pandemonium
  57. Panzer Dragoon
  58. Panzer Dragoon Zwei
  59. PD Ultraman Link
  60. Princess Maker 2
  61. Puyo Puyo Sun
  62. Rayman
  63. Robotica
  64. Rockman X3
  65. Rockman X4
  66. Rockman 8
  67. Saturn Bomberman
  68. Saturn Bomberman Fight!!
  69. Sega Rally Championship
  70. Shin-Shinobiden
  71. Shining Force III Scenario 1
  72. Snatcher
  73. Sonic 3D Blast
  74. Sonic Jam
  75. Sonic R
  76. Space Hulk
  77. Strahl
  78. Street Fighter Real Battle on Film
  79. Street Fighter Zero
  80. Street Fighter Zero 2
  81. Super Puzzle Fighter IIX
  82. Tenchimuyo Tokomuyo
  83. Tokimeki Memorial Dramaseries 1
  84. Tomb Raiders
  85. Transport Tycoon
  86. Tryrush Deppy
  87. Uno Deluxe
  88. Vampire Hunter
  89. Virtua Fighter
  90. Virtua Fighter 2
  91. Virtua Fighter Kids
  92. Virtua Fighter Remix
  93. Virtual On
  94. Virtua Racing SEGASATURN
  95. Winter Heat
  96. Wipeout
  97. X-Men Children of the Atom

Khaz

Based on what I have and what you don't, I'd say:

- Alien Trilogy: Cool doom-like where you shoot aliens. Also on PS1 and PC.
- Baku Baku Animal: Similar to Puyo Puyo, except you need an animal block to remove the fruit blocks. Two players.
- Christmas Nights: Nights under the snow
- Daytona & CE & CCE: Where's your Daytona, mate?
- Digital Pinball & v9.7 & Necronomicon: Pinball at its finest
- Dragon Ball Z & Shin Butouden: You need to like DBZ to get these
- Dragon Force: It's ok, this one's expensive
- The Horde: I think it's good, though I've yet to spend time with it. Also on PC.
- Keio Flying Squadron 2: Fun platformer, tends to be expensive. EU & JP only, play it in 60Hz anyway.
- King of Fighters 95: Because it has a ROM cart, and it's a cool thing to show off. Also the game is good too.
- Mansion of hidden souls: Ugly adventure game, but I like it. The setting is unusual enough, but the acting is terrible (at least my localised French version was)
- Magic Carpet: Ugh, I want to like this game, but I can't get over the inverted mouselook. - Also on PS1 and PC, probably prettier on both.
- Magic Knight Rayearth: Another expensive usual suspect.
- Metal Slug: Much better than the PS1 version, Also have a very verbose time attack / training mode, but it's in Japanese so I have no idea what the lady is saying.
- Mystaria: Also with another name that I can't remember in the US. Cool tRPG.
- NHL Powerplay (98): I'm usually not a fan of sports game, but you can beat the shit out of your opponent in American Hockey, so it's cool. Also apparently the best of the Hockey games.
- Princess Crown: I'm waiting for a translation. Very pretty though!
- Radiant Silvergun: Overly expensive game.
- Resident Evil: Superior version. Better palette, uncensored intro, exclusive chapter.
- Riglord Saga 2: Mystaria 2, but in Japanese. I have no idea either.
- Sega Touring Car: Follow-up to Sega Rally (?) I don't like it as much. Entirely compatible with the 3D controller so it's still cool, Analogue steering, accelerating, and brakes.
- Sega Worldwide Soccer 98: I had fun with this one, multiplayer etc. Your friends will laugh at you because it's not the latest FIFA though.
- Shining the Holy Ark: Like Shining in the Darkness, with ugly 3D and various environments.
- The Story of Thor 2: Aka Legend of Oasis. Very cool action-adventure RPG, like Zelda but (much) better.
- Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3: I've been told it was the best of the bunch. I've never played it more than 5 minutes, although I spent so much time on MK2 Game Gear (lol).
- Virtua Cop & 2: If you have a CRT, you ought to have these games. Classic arcade shooter at home, so much fun and you can play with a friend!
- Worms: It's cool, but there's so many games in the series now it's probably not worth it anymore. Cool for the collection but still better on PC.
- Z: Probably better on PC, unless you have a Sega mouse

I'm not even starting with my want list, i'd hit the character limit :/

ranmafan

Reading through the thread this week made me finally decide and fill in a missing hole in my saturn collection. So today I bought all three shining force III games. Been meaning to pick them up forever but never got the chance too until now. Can't wait to get into them and enjoy them!

dark10x

Based on what I have and what you don't, I'd say:

- Alien Trilogy: Cool doom-like where you shoot aliens. Also on PS1 and PC.
- Baku Baku Animal: Similar to Puyo Puyo, except you need an animal block to remove the fruit blocks. Two players.
- Christmas Nights: Nights under the snow
- Daytona & CE & CCE: Where's your Daytona, mate?
- Digital Pinball & v9.7 & Necronomicon: Pinball at its finest
- Dragon Ball Z & Shin Butouden: You need to like DBZ to get these
- Dragon Force: It's ok, this one's expensive
- The Horde: I think it's good, though I've yet to spend time with it. Also on PC.
- Keio Flying Squadron 2: Fun platformer, tends to be expensive. EU & JP only, play it in 60Hz anyway.
- King of Fighters 95: Because it has a ROM cart, and it's a cool thing to show off. Also the game is good too.
- Mansion of hidden souls: Ugly adventure game, but I like it. The setting is unusual enough, but the acting is terrible (at least my localised French version was)
- Magic Carpet: Ugh, I want to like this game, but I can't get over the inverted mouselook. - Also on PS1 and PC, probably prettier on both.
- Magic Knight Rayearth: Another expensive usual suspect.
- Metal Slug: Much better than the PS1 version, Also have a very verbose time attack / training mode, but it's in Japanese so I have no idea what the lady is saying.
- Mystaria: Also with another name that I can't remember in the US. Cool tRPG.
- NHL Powerplay (98): I'm usually not a fan of sports game, but you can beat the shit out of your opponent in American Hockey, so it's cool. Also apparently the best of the Hockey games.
- Princess Crown: I'm waiting for a translation. Very pretty though!
- Radiant Silvergun: Overly expensive game.
- Resident Evil: Superior version. Better palette, uncensored intro, exclusive chapter.
- Riglord Saga 2: Mystaria 2, but in Japanese. I have no idea either.
- Sega Touring Car: Follow-up to Sega Rally (?) I don't like it as much. Entirely compatible with the 3D controller so it's still cool, Analogue steering, accelerating, and brakes.
- Sega Worldwide Soccer 98: I had fun with this one, multiplayer etc. Your friends will laugh at you because it's not the latest FIFA though.
- Shining the Holy Ark: Like Shining in the Darkness, with ugly 3D and various environments.
- The Story of Thor 2: Aka Legend of Oasis. Very cool action-adventure RPG, like Zelda but (much) better.
- Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3: I've been told it was the best of the bunch. I've never played it more than 5 minutes, although I spent so much time on MK2 Game Gear (lol).
- Virtua Cop & 2: If you have a CRT, you ought to have these games. Classic arcade shooter at home, so much fun and you can play with a friend!
- Worms: It's cool, but there's so many games in the series now it's probably not worth it anymore. Cool for the collection but still better on PC.
- Z: Probably better on PC, unless you have a Sega mouse

I'm not even starting with my want list, i'd hit the character limit :/
Oh whoops, I do have Daytona USA (just the disc) somewhere, I have Biohazard (Resident Evil) and Christmas Nights listed as well. The rest, though, aren't in my collection.

Some interesting things in there that I had forgotten. Thanks!

Teknoman

The most expensive ones. Forget about them.

Eh theres some pretty cool stuff that isnt very expensive. I still like the Nights original more than the remake (that may just be nostalgia though). Astal is nice albeit short, then there is Fighters Megamix, Die Hard Arcade, Virtua Cop 1 & 2, and others I cant really list since im on a phone.

Timu

Panzer Dragoon Saga(I really hate that game's price now unless it's the Japanese version which can be found for 40 bucks), Shining Force 3, Guardian Heroes, Dragon Force, Shining The Holy Ark, Burning Rangers. Yeah, you'll certainly spend over 800 bucks if you get all those now, lol.

Celine

Depend, some of the best are dirty cheap (at least the japanese version).
Panzer Dragoon Zwei, Sega Rally, Daytona CE, Virtua Fighter 2, Fighters Megamix, Dead or Alive, Street Fighter Zero 2,Layer Section, Darius Gaiden

Teknoman

Guess i'll post my current want list. After this I should be done with whatever I want on the Saturn.

Hyper Duel
Blast Wind
Albert Odyssey
Battle Garegga
Shining Wisdom (not sure)
Dodonpachi
Burning Rangers
Fantasy Zone Sega ages
Sonic R
Three dirty dwarves
Metal Black
Darius Gaiden
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Silhouette Mirage
Outrun (import)
Jikkyō Oshaberi Parodius

Afterburner II (import)
Assault Suits Leynos 2
Saturn Bomberman
Shinobi X (PAL Region)
PuLiRuLa Arcade Gears
Psychic Killer Taromaru
Soukyugurentai Otokuyo

TnK

Aww man =(
Having a list won't hurt though.

BTW, how much do my saturns cost? Both were obtained brand new, and were used maybe only 5-8 times tops. Also, everything is in its plastic bags in the boxes too.

Some are reasonable. Personally, being an RPG nut, I say Dragon Force, Magic Knight Rayearth, Shining The Holy Ark, NiGHTS, Mystaria/Blazing Heroes, and for something cheap, the Macross shmup.
Thanks =D

Joined the import Saturn ranks. Still waiting on DoDonPachi, Rockman X3, and Vampire Savior to arrive, then I plan to focus on some more Shmups, although I may have to get the Capcom Generation 2 disc as I quite enjoy the Ghost's and Goblins series.

Beautiful system, looks great on your TV too, what are you using for video?

And DoDonPachi is the perfect shooter for getting started on the Saturn's amazing shmup library.

Are there any good emulators that allow filters. To make 2D look better for on an HD screen. Maybe one that has 3D support to up native resolution, upscale, or add antI aliasing? If I remember correctly SSF doesn't support any of these features and I'm better off just using my modded Saturn.

I actually picked up a Saturn a few months ago from a flea market (had to use armorall and cotton swabs to clean the beast lol) and forgot to post here :p unfortunately I cant actually play it due to lack of a functioning av cable (on the way now) but I'm ready to finally delve into the Saturn. Also managed to find a fellow local collector who sold me a complete copy Panzer Dragoon so I guess this will be my first Sega Saturn game :)

download_zps7eb99621.jpeg

By the way whenever I power the system the Access light blinks red continuously, this is due to my lack of av cable right? Or is there something functionally wrong with the system? (it does spin/read discs successfully as far as I can tell)

dodgeme

Beautiful system, looks great on your TV too, what are you using for video?

And DoDonPachi is the perfect shooter for getting started on the Saturn's amazing shmup library.

At the moment just stock composite cables. I plan to get a XRGB mini eventually but just trying to get the pieces together. That shot just looks extra good, it's a bit blurry once motion comes into play, although I will say the TV surprised me with the picture it put out.

At the moment just stock composite cables. I plan to get a XRGB mini eventually but just trying to get the pieces together. That shot just looks extra good, it's a bit blurry once motion comes into play, although I will say the TV surprised me with the picture it put out.

I use an s-video cable on mine, looks good and should be cheap to find.

gelf

SSF is still far and away the best option for Saturn emulation. Yabause is getting better, but the compatibility (especially with the most popular games) is still pretty terrible.

The built-in scanline feature in SSF isn't impressive, but SweetFX can step in to provide a much nicer effect. There's a custom build of SweetFX built to work with SSF here, along with suggested settings to get it going.

Thanks so much for linking this, just got round to trying it and its a big improvement particularly for 2D games.

SSF is still far and away the best option for Saturn emulation. Yabause is getting better, but the compatibility (especially with the most popular games) is still pretty terrible.

The built-in scanline feature in SSF isn't impressive, but SweetFX can step in to provide a much nicer effect. There's a custom build of SweetFX built to work with SSF here, along with suggested settings to get it going.

Have you had any luck in getting SSF to work with a virtual drive? I don't use my cd-rom on the PC for anything but SSF really, wouldn't mine making iso's of my SS games.

Weird thing that started happening to me:

My video output starts getting weird and making buzzing sounds but if I touch the cord it goes away. o_o; I'm guessing this has something to do with being able to conduct electricity, but other than that ...

baphomet

My video output starts getting weird and making buzzing sounds but if I touch the cord it goes away. o_o; I'm guessing this has something to do with being able to conduct electricity, but other than that ...

Probably a grounding problem in the cable.

Khaz

Bad audio connection I'd guess. Stop unplugging your systems, people! You'll just end up damaging the connectors.

To repair you'd have to open your system, check continuity with a multimeter, and resolder the faulty solder points that broke.

Welp after finally receiving some av cables I was excited to pop in Panzer Dragon and finally play the Sega Saturn!

It worked beautifully!

for 2 hours :(

It suddenly stopped mid gameplay, kicked me to the bios screen. Now when I try to boot up the disc it either stops outright or pops up with some weird 999:999 minutes of audio apparently contained on the disc. Tried some other cd's, didn't read or took multiple attempts and only read 1 or 2 tracks. I'm stunned by how sudden it stopped working! It spins discs but seems to chugg/click now (which it didn't at all when first plugged in and played) but I checked to see if the disc spindle/motor was to blame and nope it was free and unobstructed from wear as far as I can tell.

I have a feeling its a laser issue which I cleaned readily after suspecting and no luck still. Seeing as though Panzer Dragoon is the only game I have atm maybe its the game (which is in good, but not spotless condition). Wouldn't explain the struggling/click noises suddenly cropping nor lack of playing other audio discs.

Any ideas? I'm thinking about opening it up to adjust the laser pot.

Hmm, I should give it another go. Didn't get it to work for me. I mounted the .cue file and chose the correct cd-rom in SSF, but it just wouldn't load. I tried a few different games too.

What type of virtual drive did it create?

May not work if it created a SCSI drive...if it did, delete it in the DT control panel and create a standard drive.

SCSI virtual drives are useful for the PC Engine emulator (MagicEngine) and the CD-ROM based games which wont boot on a standard DT Virtual drive.

What type of virtual drive did it create?

May not work if it created a SCSI drive...if it did, delete it in the DT control panel and create a standard drive.

SCSI virtual drives are useful for the PC Engine emulator (MagicEngine) and the CD-ROM based games which wont boot on a standard DT Virtual drive.

I did not check that! Thank you for the tip! I'll be trying that out when I get home.

EDIT: It worked! SSF finally accepted the virtual drive!

Bad audio connection I'd guess. Stop unplugging your systems, people! You'll just end up damaging the connectors.

To repair you'd have to open your system, check continuity with a multimeter, and resolder the faulty solder points that broke.

It only does it occasionally. I think I'll hold out for now and sell it as "junk" to be repaired if it gets out of control.

dark10x

Any ideas? I'm thinking about opening it up to adjust the laser pot.
I would recommend that, actually. It has saved a number of systems in the past.

My original PSX was dead for years (even the upside-down trick stopped working) but a quick adjustment of the laser pot solved it completely and it's been working great for the last three years now.

Original PS2s with disc read errors can almost universally be fixed using this method. Same for various other CD systems.

That said, some of the older systems do seem to fail for other reasons. I've repaired a number of 3DO consoles and in each of those cases it was due to cracked worm gears or some other plastic failure. Sega CD and TG16-CD units also had their own issues to deal with (the laser sled would seize up for whatever reason). The pot adjustment might be all you need on Saturn but at least opening it up should reveal the problem.

Fnord

Presumably you also have a nice stock of batteries for it.

Batteries? Is the Saturn like the Dreamcast in the sense that it has a CMOS battery on the motherboard or something? I haven't hooked up my Saturn in a really, really long time (actually been thinking of trying to sell it). But I know that every time I hook up the Dreamcast, the date and time has to be reset. Didn't realize the Saturn bothered with such things.

Galamauth

Wondering if anyone knew how to set up batch files or launch options to get SSF with a virtual drive to launch individual games on Steam or through ICE? I've seen some tutorials online for things like game-ex or maximus arcade which seem to be other frontends for emulators.

Can't find anything for individual shortcuts or steam though.

TnK

Does that mean that the constant unplugging and replugging systems causes damage in the long run? That is the one thing I did not want to hear. What if you want to juggle between multiple consoles?

Also a saturn flash cart? That would be really interesting.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Does that mean that the constant unplugging and replugging systems causes damage in the long run? That is the one thing I did not want to hear. What if you want to juggle between multiple consoles?
This is a different issue, but in my experience, RCA-style jacks on TVs can come loose over time, making it difficult to maintain a connection. Probably not a problem on every TV and probably not a complicated issue to fix, but I think it's a decent reason to use a component video switch instead of constantly swapping component cables directly into the TV, for example.

mrduckbear

Neo Member
i remember playing the turbo grafix but not sega saturn..if i did, i would've played grandia 2 back then when it was on the system

Khaz

Also a saturn flash cart? That would be really interesting.

Every connector have a plug cycle life. Every time you plug it or unplug it, you put stress on it and it weakens over time. Some are better design than the others, connectors soldered to the board fail much earlier than the ones fixed to the body with wires to connect it to the board. The design of the plug itself can make a difference: Micro USB was invented to be more robust than Mini USB, with a 10 000 cycles average life instead of 1 000.

Everything fails over time, connectors are no exception.

i remember playing the turbo grafix but not sega saturn..if i did, i would've played grandia 2 back then when it was on the system

Grandia 2 is a Dreamcast (and PS2) game. Maybe you mean the original Grandia?

Batteries? Is the Saturn like the Dreamcast in the sense that it has a CMOS battery on the motherboard or something? I haven't hooked up my Saturn in a really, really long time (actually been thinking of trying to sell it). But I know that every time I hook up the Dreamcast, the date and time has to be reset. Didn't realize the Saturn bothered with such things.

Saturn has battery backup for clock and save data, It's easily accessed unlike the DC one, but is not rechargeable. It's also tied to game saves, so you'll probably want a Memory Card so you don't lose your game save data when the battery dies.

Mercutio

Grandia 2 is a Dreamcast (and PS2) game. Maybe you mean the original Grandia?

Saturn has battery backup for clock and save data, It's easily accessed unlike the DC one, but is not rechargeable. It's also tied to game saves, so you'll probably want a Memory Card so you don't lose your game save data when the battery dies.

Is the Saturn memory card non-volatile? Does it use a battery for backup, or is it actually some form of flash memory?

Khaz

Is the Saturn memory card non-volatile? Does it use a battery for backup, or is it actually some form of flash memory?

It's RAM, the memory is wiped out when the battery dies. And there is no warning when it's about to die, one day you will turn your console on, only to be greeted with the language and time setup, and all your saves gone. Having a Backup cartridge or a 4in1 action replay is mandatory if you care about your high-scores or your game progression.

[edit] welp, time to learn how to read, I guess.

Mercutio

It's RAM, the memory is wiped out when the battery dies. And there is no warning when it's about to die, one day you will turn your console on, only to be greeted with the language and time setup, and all your saves gone. Having a Backup cartridge or a 4in1 action replay is mandatory if you care about your high-scores or your game progression.

I'm actually asking about the backup cartridge itself. I know about the battery in the system.

Saturn memory cards, official and AR 4-in-1, are flash memory, not battery-backed.

Also, the internal Saturn battery seems to last longer if you keep your Saturn plugged in, maybe? Maybe it uses less battery power if it has some wall power too?

Mercutio

Saturn memory cards, official and AR 4-in-1, are flash memory, not battery-backed.

Also, the internal Saturn battery seems to last longer if you keep your Saturn plugged in, maybe? Maybe it uses less battery power if it has some wall power too?

That's interesting, I wonder if it works like the PC Engine CD's capacitor? As long as your system is plugged into the wall, it sips enough current to keep the capacitor full. If you unplug the system, I'm not sure how long it would take for it to wear down. I wonder if the Saturn's battery is actually a backup to a capacitor? A second protective measure?

I have no idea what I'll do with my PC Engine when I move someday though. I imagine it will be like that Frogger episode of Seinfeld. I've got one of those AA powered memory banks, but NO idea how to use the damned thing. I'll have to force a Japanese speaking friend to guide me through the process, or face the consequences of losing my Rondo of Blood save.

flohen95

That's interesting, I wonder if it works like the PC Engine CD's capacitor? As long as your system is plugged into the wall, it sips enough current to keep the capacitor full. If you unplug the system, I'm not sure how long it would take for it to wear down. I wonder if the Saturn's battery is actually a backup to a capacitor? A second protective measure?

When my Saturn arrived one month ago, the battery was drained. But it retained its saves as long as I didn't unplug it, so I guess there's some truth to that.

Anyway, this is as good a time as any to say hi to SaturnGAF. I will post some pictures of my stuff once that package of 34 Japanese games arrives. I don't even know what half of that stuff is, so I look forward to that.

A quick question though: does it make sense to buy an Action Replay 4-in-1 when you own a Japanese Saturn? I mainly ask since most of the time, Japanese games are less expensive anyway. And would 30€ be a good price for it?

There may be a capacitor, but it's probably more likely that it just uses a trickle-charge to keep the save chip running while the system is plugged in, so you'll only learn your battery is dead if you unplug the system or have a power outage.

In comparison, the Dreamcasts' clock battery only charges when the system is on, and many have died -- I need to set the clock pretty much every time I turn the system on, annoyingly. I know it's rechargeable, but there is obviously a limit to how long it lasts...

I have no idea what I'll do with my PC Engine when I move someday though. I imagine it will be like that Frogger episode of Seinfeld. I've got one of those AA powered memory banks, but NO idea how to use the damned thing. I'll have to force a Japanese speaking friend to guide me through the process, or face the consequences of losing my Rondo of Blood save.
If you mean the Memory Base 128 (or Save-Kun), what you need is one of the games with a built-in memory manager that lets you copy banks of memory between the MB128 and the system -- there is no built-in manager, so only games designed to support the MB128 can see it. I use Emerald Dragon's manager, since it's simple and easy to use (hold Up when you hit Run to start t the game from the CD system menu). The batteries should last at least six months per set. The MB128 also does have a capacitor in it, but it won't last long at all when the batteries run out -- maybe an hour, not overnight even. It will draw power from the system to keep files as long as you keep the system on even if the batteries are removed, though, which is nice.

Top Bottom