• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Holly frog!

I doesn't even know about the Dreamcast version.

homer-drool.gif

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yabuase doesn't seem to run my Saturn games very well even though I have a decent rig (i5 4670k) and it doesn't seem to support filters (scanlines), so I tried to download the latest version of SSF but that will not load at all. I know that it is supposed to open in a small window (which it does) but after about 1-2 seconds it closes back to the desktop with no error message.
Yeah, Yabause runs like crap. I tried Shining Force 3.3 and it ran at 20 FPS, sometimes below that XD I thought it was sluggish and turned on the FPS display and there it was.

SSF doesn't run mounted ISOs well it seems... at least not using MagicISO, it kept saying it didn't recognize my patched ShF3.3 ISO. And using BIOS seems to break it, haha. When I was trying the ISO, I messed around with the BIOS, and put in the Japanese one. Then I ran the actual ShF3 disc (real Saturn disc, not the burned patched ISO) and it said the disc was invalid. But when I removed it, it worked, and so did the burned disc. Go figure.

So uh, try with a real disc first, see if that works maybe? Though if it shut down right after you see the mini screen, that's probably a bad sign...

Teknoman

I dunno man,

That PS3 japan-only port of D&D is pretty stunning.

What are the differences between the physical and digital?

Also I wonder whats a similar cleaner to get a saturn looking like that...

EDIT: lol not that it matters, that PDZ is gonna go for bucks.

AmyS

I dunno man,

That PS3 japan-only port of D&D is pretty stunning.

Aside from the all the extra bonus material, I'd like to know the specific differences between the digital PSN ports by Iron Galaxy (they did all the digital versions) and the ports only found in the Japanese PS3 retail disc that were developed at Capcom internally with original Japanese PCB arcade staff.

I haven't been able to find any video or written impressions regarding the port quality of the Japanese PS3 disc.

HappyConsoleGamer's Dungeons & Dragons Chronicles Of Mystara Limited Edition Unboxing.

He has the Saturn D&D Collection in the video and other cool stuff too.

Also, these videos are worth checking out: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLnIRbb4S10pV8Ge7DvLKiAnaWUqZIg-jT

1-Hour event in Japan with Capcom staff: http://youtu.be/Lze-o04ps8I

I wish I could understand Japanese.

Yes Boss!

Aside from the all the extra bonus material, I'd like to know the specific differences between the digital PSN ports by Iron Galaxy (they did all the digital versions) and the ports only found in the Japanese PS3 retail disc that were developed at Capcom internally with original Japanese PCB arcade staff.

I haven't been able to find any video or written impressions regarding the port quality of the Japanese PS3 disc.

I don't really know about intricacies of PCB fidelity...they both seem spot-on and perfect. Japan PS3 retail just has better visual options to help it look a bunch better on and HDTV. Iron Galaxy version is great too...you just have to go chunky since their retro mode is assy. Do like it on the Wii U gamepad, though.

BTails

Hey guys, I finally joined Saturn-GAF! I lurked this thread for a while before I became a (junior) member, and figured now I can join in on the wallet-hurting fun!

i3v1I3u.jpg

vWH5PVk.jpg

I love the system so far, though I can't wait until I can get a Framemeister & SCART cable to bring out the true SEGA goodness. Most of the games that came with the system had manuals but no cases; I had one spare Sega CD case kicking around, so after printing a back cover, Panzer Dragoon became "complete".

Still waiting on my Action Replay from Play-Asia so I can try out Deep Fear and Magic School Lunar. I love the first 2 Lunar games (Both Sega CD and PSX versions), and can't wait to play through this one, though I've heard I need to lower my expectations. That and I'll have to play it with a guide (There seems to be a decent one online).

Lots of growing to come for this collection (And hopefully some more spare long boxes!), though not for a while since my wife and I are in the final steps of buying a house, and money will be extremely tight after that.

Teknoman

You've got some fun stuff to last you awhile, so you should be good for savings again imo.

I will say to make sure you have a subwoofer of sort (cheap 2.1 PC speakers) on your TV for Galactic Attack.

BTails

I will say to make sure you have a subwoofer of sort (cheap 2.1 PC speakers) on your TV for Galactic Attack.

Bummer confession time: Galactic Attack and Daytona both have scratches which make the music skip... The eBayer I bought the bundle from gave me a partial refund, but it still hurts. At least Daytona is dirt cheap to replace.

AmyS

I don't really know about intricacies of PCB fidelity...they both seem spot-on and perfect. Japan PS3 retail just has better visual options to help it look a bunch better on and HDTV. Iron Galaxy version is great too...you just have to go chunky since their retro mode is assy. Do like it on the Wii U gamepad, though.

Great, thanks for your impressions. I have the free PSN/PS3 demo, I guess I'll just unlock the full game.

The only thing I did read about the Japanese retail disc version is that the visual options are excellent, with that standard having been set by the visual options in Raiden Fighters Aces for 360.

Wereroku

Great, thanks for your impressions. I have the free PSN/PS3 demo, I guess I'll just unlock the full game.

The only thing I did read about the Japanese retail disc version is that the visual options are excellent, with that standard having been set by the visual options in Raiden Fighters Aces for 360.

It has some additional game options as well like playing as the same character. But since it is untranslated you miss out on alot of what is going on. I think Iron Galaxies is still an excellent choice even if its not the best version.

BTails

maybe they can be resurfaced?

Years ago I worked at a DVD rental place, and I can usually tell which discs are resurfacable: these ones look toast. I'm not TOO worried, I'll replace them eventually, or at least Galactic Attack. Daytona might be replaced by the CE version.

AmyS

It has some additional game options as well like playing as the same character. But since it is untranslated you miss out on alot of what is going on. I think Iron Galaxies is still an excellent choice even if its not the best version.

The Japanese PS3 retail version also apparently outputs in 1080p, whereas the PSN version outputs in 720p.

DUNGEONS & DRAGONS MYSTARA EIYUU SENKI

Best version to date!
This the best version look no further, better then the digital
version on the US psn store which only support 720p while this one support 1080p native plus etc...

http://www.play-asia.com/dungeons-d...ki-limited-edition-paOS-13-49-en-70-6ml3.html

Yes Boss!

Iron Galaxy is the one to play. The Retail is the one to appreciate. Good to have them both but going either way is fine. The production of the UI and stuff on the Iron Galaxy is classier. It is definitely one of those titles worth double/triple dipping on various formats, though. And the visual options are pretty far from Raiden Aces...though not much really compares to that game, other than Futari in terms of options.

from September I should be sure to keep staying in Japan so i was thinking about setting my "gaming room" to play again with Saturn (my gf "soontobecomewife" would not after but who cares :D )

Which is the best solution?
1- look for an old CRT (14" or 17") and hook up the SS
2- buy the xrgb and using it with my flat IPS 27" monitor

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Guess I went a bit overboard with long boxes when I wanted to reduce the number I have. Started only with 4 when I got the system.

fZZhaWf.png

Then a few other stuff.

PxO6N6q.png

PjIa3NA.png

from September I should be sure to keep staying in Japan so i was thinking about setting my "gaming room" to play again with Saturn (my gf "soontobecomewife" would not after but who cares :D )

Which is the best solution?
1- look for an old CRT (14" or 17") and hook up the SS
2- buy the xrgb and using it with my flat IPS 27" monitor
#teamCRT
You shouldn't have to go that small either. A 27" trinitron shouldn't be too hard to track down and if it has component inputs you could do the whole RGB to YUV adapter thing and while not RGB it would look quite good. Or you go all out and track down a professional RGB monitor and still pay less than an XRGB.

#teamCRT
You shouldn't have to go that small either. A 27" trinitron shouldn't be too hard to track down and if it has component inputs you could do the whole RGB to YUV adapter thing and while not RGB it would look quite good. Or you go all out and track down a professional RGB monitor and still pay less than an XRGB.

27" CRT ?? My gosh, it's sooo big... I don't have enough space into my apartment for it... japanese apartments are so small...

professional rgb monitor means Sony Trinitron PVM ?

Khaz

27" CRT ?? My gosh, it's sooo big... I don't have enough space into my apartment for it... japanese apartments are so small...

professional rgb monitor means Sony Trinitron PVM ?

It really depends where you want to put it and how far you'll sit. I game on a 20" noname TV I put on my desk and I sit a tad less than a metre away from it. I've considered upgrading to a bigger size (I need to change my screen anyway, it's dying), but then I'd move the chair further away when playing. The big size problem of CRTs is their depth. I put mine diagonally so it takes less apparent space, I just spin on my chair to face either the computer or the TV.

14" is very small. Especially nowadays with all the massive size flatscreens we see everywhere.

Hey guys, what's the best method to play Saturn games via emulation these days? I'm currently using SSF with scanlines enabled. It's serviceable but it doesn't look as nice as some of the CRT shaders in use with other emulators.

SSF is still far and away the best option for Saturn emulation. Yabause is getting better, but the compatibility (especially with the most popular games) is still pretty terrible.

The built-in scanline feature in SSF isn't impressive, but SweetFX can step in to provide a much nicer effect. There's a custom build of SweetFX built to work with SSF here, along with suggested settings to get it going.

cj_iwakura

This reminds me, I have a copy of ParaParaParadise on PS2, but it doesn't play past the initial loading screen. Does it require the controller?

Oi, wrong appreciation thread. Early mornings and posting don't mix.

Tamanator

vtdrb.jpg

Managed to snag this for $35 AUD including postage, probably one of my best buys for a while, especially since it is in very good condition.

Khaz

Does this mean I'll be able to download the fan translated version of Shining Force III and Princess Crown and play them on my actual Saturn rather that an emulator? If so, holy crap that's awesome!

You already can, but it require swapping or a chip. This cartridge is more for the ease of use, like the Everdrives, it allows to have your hundreds iso ready to be boot instead of getting up, going to your shelf, picking the game and putting it into the console ;)

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Wait, is there a fan translation patch for Princess Crown? Can I finally play that game without trying to follow a FAQ and giving up in frustration? :O

Then again... I've been trying to play ShF3.3 on SSF, and it crashes after the 4th (I think) battle, the one where you defeat
Goriate
after deactivating his annoying staff with Gracia. I defeat the boss, there's some dialogue with the empire and that fox (Steel) is being a dickhead, and then it fades to black with some text and then nothing... :(

Is it my CD-R maybe? Does that mean I need to burn a new ISO? Btw, mounting the ISO with MagicISO doesn't work at all, SSF won't start. Do I really need DaemonTools specifically?

gelf

With emulation I've actually moved to trying Yabause first and only moving to SSF if it struggles. I love the OpenGL mode when it works, played through Panzer Dragoon Zwei with only minor issues on one of the more recent builds. I recorded some footage.

Khaz

Wait, is there a fan translation patch for Princess Crown? Can I finally play that game without trying to follow a FAQ and giving up in frustration? :O

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=15979.0 It's still being worked on. I don't know where/if he got an incomplete build to play with.

Is it my CD-R maybe? Does that mean I need to burn a new ISO? Btw, mounting the ISO with MagicISO doesn't work at all, SSF won't start. Do I really need DaemonTools specifically?

I don't know about this specific program, but SSF is designed to play real Saturn discs. Any program which load your iso in a virtual drive should be good. As long as it shows up as another drive with a letter and you can open it with Windows, you're good. I used Alcohol successfully.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I don't know about this specific program, but SSF is designed to play real Saturn discs. Any program which load your iso in a virtual drive should be good. As long as it shows up as another drive with a letter and you can open it with Windows, you're good. I used Alcohol successfully.
Yeah, MagicISO does that but when I start SSF, I get to the bios screen where it tells me my disc does not work or is incompatible with the device or something... :(

SSF emulates model 2 games?

edit: nvm, you changed the link or something

Yeah, sorry, I linked direct to the relevant post but the same guy is in that thread also talking about Model 2 emulation.

I know that feeling, I spent a ridiculous amount of time tweaking and writing shaders for Retroarch. It's well worth the investment though.

I'm still waiting on you to fix up your Retroarch shader preset!

Slightly off topic but did you know that the injector works perfectly through NullDC? Dreamcast games look absurdly good with a tweaked CRT filter

Ooooh, I should try that!

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Set your system region in the options.
I did, same thing happens no matter what.

What happens is that, if I don't use a BIOS, nothing happens, just a black screen when I load SSF.

If I do put a BIOS file (JP or US, no change), I get the Saturn BIOS and it says "Checking disC format..." then "Disc unsuitable for this system". This happens regardless of the system region setting too.

:S I wonder why DaemonTools, or the real CD, would work but not MagicISO...

dodgeme

Joined the import Saturn ranks. Still waiting on DoDonPachi, Rockman X3, and Vampire Savior to arrive, then I plan to focus on some more Shmups, although I may have to get the Capcom Generation 2 disc as I quite enjoy the Ghost's and Goblins series.

Top Bottom