• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

I'm late to this argument, but Richard Jacques's Saturn/PC soundtrack > Senoue/Maeda's Genesis/Mega Drive soundtrack for Rusty Ruins alone. I am a huge sucker for piano pieces like that.
I love that version of Rusty Ruins. There's a fantastic mashup of Return To Innocence and Rusty Ruins you should hear. I'm not at home right now or I'd link you. I think it's called, appropriately, Return to Rusty Ruins.

Just as well; I'm also not at home, and YouTube has been completely broken on this phone for nearly a year now (and I have NO idea why).

Khaz

I remember reading somewhere Sega wanted to make "naming with numbers in foreign languages" a thing. Panzer Dragoon 2 would be zwei, Bug 2 would have been deux. I'm glad they didn't do it.

I remember reading somewhere Sega wanted to make "naming with numbers in foreign languages" a thing. Panzer Dragoon 2 would be zwei, Bug 2 would have been deux. I'm glad they didn't do it.

I think Capcom does this with the mainline Monster Hunter games

BTails

Bug Too more like Bug Poo

I haven't played Bug Too, but the first Bug... Well, I was pretty bored by the end of the first "zone". It was really fun for the first 10 minutes, then it just dragged on and on.

In other semi related news, I just ordered my Framemeister XRGB!! Finally leaving Composite behind in a few weeks...

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
DSC_0066.PNG

They translated what was basically important (Hud, text from enemies, omake pictures) but still pet background stuff like the kappa sign untranslated. The returning characters used the same voice actors from the Sega CD game, so there's some consistency there if you played that. Though unlike the Sega CD game, they dubbed the in-game speech too this time around. Don't remember cringing at the dub so its pretty decent for what it was. Im sure there is creative liberties done, but for a silly game like this, I don't think being 100% faithful is possible. :)

Btw, what was the letter from the creators? I might be forgetting something...
Oh cool, that's interesting.

The letter thing is just a note thanking the player for picking up the game and talking about how the omake section works. Nothing special, but I thought it was interesting to see that kind of note with-in a game.

Khaz

A cool feature in Exhumed (Powerslave,1999): the language setting changes according to what your console is set up to. I guess it's common now but I would never have expected that in a game from 1996! The intro is still in English but with subtitles, and Ramses speaks to you in your own language.

Oh and the game is super cool too. Completely different from the PC version, which is cool as well. I just wish I could invert strafe and turn (triggers and dpad) but it's just a minor annoyance.

A cool feature in Exhumed (Powerslave,1999): the language setting changes according to what your console is set up to. I guess it's common now but I would never have expected that in a game from 1996! The intro is still in English but with subtitles, and Ramses speaks to you in your own language.

Oh and the game is super cool too. Completely different from the PC version, which is cool as well. I just wish I could invert strafe and turn (triggers and dpad) but it's just a minor annoyance.
runs well for a 3d game too.

noquarter

So hooked my Saturn up for the first time in a few years, I'm actually getting a game area so don't have to keep all my retro stuff in boxes anymore. Thing started right up, so much better than my PS1.

I didn't ever spend a lot of time with the Saturn, just played VF2 and Daytona on it for the most part, but a few years ago I started getting some games for it. Picked up the Panzer Dragoon games and decided today would be the day I start on Saga.

Wow. Why didn't this game sell systems like FFVII did? The art style is so much better. Edge actually looks like a person, unlike Cloud who is just really disproportioned. Everything about this game is so good. The art style fits the graphics. The CG looks better than the in-game stuff, but doesn't seem out of place like it does in FFVII. The music just really matches the game and does a great job of helping mold the atmosphere. The battle system fun and rewards you for playing well. The only thing that seems to be a little difficult to get used to is the cursor for searching.

I hope I will be able beat in the next week or so, but with my schedule it might take a bit longer.

Teknoman

On that note:

Latest Episode:
Episode 34: Sega Saturn 101

Greg Sewart joins Kevin to discuss the Sega Saturn, a very fascinating console with some amazing hidden gems and some true classics. In Part 1 of a 2-part series we discuss the history of the Sega Saturn, what you need to know if you want to start collecting for it, and the best titles for under $10.

Btw how is Groove on Fight?

Btw how is Groove on Fight?
Awesome game. One of my favorite fighters on the system.

It's supposedly worse than the arcade version. Which is weird since it's an ST-V game and should have parity on Saturn.

Arcade version is kinda rare, but AFAIK Arcade Odyssey has it (might be out of rotation tho) if IrishNinja and crew want to check it out.

Ebay and the like is a little high, but I recommended the game. I got it from a Japan retailer on the cheap.

kimtish

Neo Member
Second that GoF recommendation. Interesting,varied cast of characters in a tight and fluid fighter. Definitely worth a play.

Ms. Tea

It's supposedly worse than the arcade version. Which is weird since it's an ST-V game and should have parity on Saturn.

I'm guessing the arcade version used the ROM cart to swap data in and out quickly. Even with the 1MB RAM cart, Groove on Fight on the Saturn had to cut a *lot* of animation and background detail to fit the RAM budget. Too bad it came out before the 4MB RAM cart...

Teknoman

I'll add it to the list. Can you play Silhouette Mirage without much JP knowledge? Looks like its got some kinda item shop, but not sure how that factors into gameplay.

I'll add it to the list. Can you play Silhouette Mirage without much JP knowledge? Looks like its got some kinda item shop, but not sure how that factors into gameplay.

Fake it til you make it, homie

Anything to avoid playing the shittacular Working Designs version.

Mzo

Yes, easily. Every shop sells health and spirit refills (ball and triangle icons) as well as different weapons, easily identified by the image of the parasite as well as its level and cost. That's all you need to know.

The story will be lost on you, but you could just look up a translation. Needless to say the WD localization made a lot of liberal changes to the story and dialogue on top of ruining the game completely.

one of the first times i met up with Mzo he broke down exactly what was changed (haven't really played it yet)...goddamn, i mean i'm a huge WD fan but talk about breaking a game

Yeah, I'm normally a big WD defender and enjoy a lot of their changes but that is one game that is made noticeably worse with no upside.

Ms. Tea

It's really playable without knowing any Japanese.

Compared to the Japanese PS1 version, the Saturn version has better graphics and much shorter/fewer loading periods, while the PS1 version adds a save system and a couple of new bosses. (The Saturn version is designed to play more like an arcade game and has no save system; it has to be beaten in a single sitting.)

kimtish

Neo Member
I think Victor Ireland talked about the SM changes on a Retronauts a few years ago.

I'm sure I'm missing info here but here's what I remember -

Apparently, there was some kind of common return policy at EB/Funcoland/Babbages what have you in the early 2000s where you could return a game - even if it was new - for full price within a week or so of purchase (sort of what GS does now for used games.) The common thing to do of course would be to buy a game, beat it in a week then return it.

Since specialty game shops were the only stores that would carry WD stuff, to prevent return made they game NIGHTMARISHLY HARD so that it would be near impossible to beat, and thus folks would have to keep the game longer in order to beat it.

I'm sure it backfired when people realized they turned it into a shit game or read the reviews and didn't buy it in the first place.

Why did they make Silpheed PS2 harder? I know big box places like Best Buy and Circuit City stocked that game...

Mzo

Even if that was his reasoning it's asinine and still ruins the game. I'd rather he leave the shit in Japan then put his fat thumbs all over it, digitally defecating on a great game.

Mzo

Fat thumbs as in clumsy. I don't know what Vic looks like or if he is even a programmer who was behind the code changes himself, nor do I really care. It wasn't meant as a personal attack, more as angry criticism towards Working Designs as a whole (who, if you know me, I was never fond of in the first place) that one of my favorite games by one of my favorite developers turned into a huge disappointment after picking up my pre-ordered copy.

Take it however, though.

cj_iwakura

Fat thumbs as in clumsy. I don't know what Vic looks like or if he is even a programmer who was behind the code changes himself, nor do I really care. It wasn't meant as a personal attack, more as angry criticism towards Working Designs as a whole (who, if you know me, I was never fond of in the first place) that one of my favorite games by one of my favorite developers turned into a huge disappointment after picking up my pre-ordered copy.

Take it however, though.

Yeah, one screw-up against the plethora of great RPGs that never would have come out here if not for them.

Mzo

I never said that WD shouldn't exist. I did say that I would rather have seen Silohuette Mirage stay in Japan than have people's first experience of it be the localized hack. I will say that the VA work for the game was fantastic, though. Can't hate on that part at all. I can still hear "reflector!" and "I like flowers very much!" all these years later.

The whole thing was by gamers, for gamers, right? So if you like the game so much that you want to localize it, why change the gameplay at all? Their wacky and juvenile translations are a completely separate argument I don't want to get into right now, but messing with the gameplay itself? Bug fixes are one thing, sure, but they did mess with a lot of games from Lunar 2 on SCD to Elemental Gearbolt to poor little SM in some weird ways that I find questionable.

If you think you can improve a game over what the developer created, I disagree with that already. If the reason was a business reason above a gameplay reason, that's like 100x worse. I can't agree with that at all.

edit: cool, HG101 has a neat write-up about how over the top the changes were. Can we link HG101 here? Anyone that cares can look up, I guess.

IrishNinja

Lunar 2's save or level your magic system was...a new & interesting kind of brutal at some parts of the game, i forget how Elemental Gearbolt was broken specifically but i know it's been talked about on here (that's the one with the briefcase & guns yeah?)

noquarter

Damn, making me want to play Silhouette Mirage. Don't think I've played it since I bought the game new shortly after release, the Working Designs version. Didn't realize that they made the game harder and such, usually don't mind what they did with games, but looks like this one just got messed up.

Might try to get a modded Saturn and get the Japanese version.

Khaz

Stop putting Silhouette Mirage in the spotlight! I have yet to buy mine.

Is there a way to tell if the box art of a game is printed? Got one that is offset by a little making it look odd.

You mean the back cover? The front cover on US and Japanese games act as a manual so if it's printed, folded and stapled there's a very good chance it's an original. Now for the back cover I'd say you would have to open it to check its quality, what paper is used (normal or glossy), how are the folds, if you can find jpeg artifacts. "Sega Saturn" is shiny too, at least on the few American editions I have.

Teknoman

Damn, making me want to play Silhouette Mirage. Don't think I've played it since I bought the game new shortly after release, the Working Designs version. Didn't realize that they made the game harder and such, usually don't mind what they did with games, but looks like this one just got messed up.

Might try to get a modded Saturn and get the Japanese version.

No mod required, just get a pro replay cart with ram functions built in.

You mean the back cover? The front cover on US and Japanese games act as a manual so if it's printed, folded and stapled there's a very good chance it's an original. Now for the back cover I'd say you would have to open it to check its quality, what paper is used (normal or glossy), how are the folds, if you can find jpeg artifacts. "Sega Saturn" is shiny too, at least on the few American editions I have.

Yeah the back cover. Opened it before asking and it seemed legit enough, has the same kind of folds for the 2 spine parts as any other Saturn game, just wasn't sure if there was some other way to tell.

Wereroku

I am not even sure what is going on here.

nice! watching
ugh someone find me a loose saturn bomberman for $40 or less pls

Will keep an eye out in case I see the deal I got. Make sure to look for US listing under the japanese version on Amazon because some people just list it under the first one they find.

Also what is a good price for a good condition Dragon Force? It would be nice to have it complete with the Memory Sticker but if that would add like 40 bucks to the price it ain't worth it. I really just want the complete case and instructions.

Mzo

How the fuck do you play Firepro Wrestling S? No matter what I do I get my ass kicked and I couldn't find tutorials anywhere.

I found a guide in this obscure website called gamefaqs.

The biggest difference to some other wrestling games is that there's no button mashing, it's all about timing. From the guide:
Just walk into your opponent to grapple with him. Press the button or
direction+button as soon as you touch. This is completely timing-based,
the first to hit a button or direction+button does the move, mashing on
your buttons does NOT work in 6MS.

kimtish

Neo Member
I appreciate WD for pioneering weeb game localization, but sometimes they went off the rails. I guess the industry was small enough at that point that they could get away with it.

I mean, go back a read an old RPG guidebook from the mid 90s. Some of the captions and text get straight-up surreal. Its amazing what people do when they think no one is watching.

Their Albert Odyssey "translation" is a bajillion times more entertaining than the actual game script though, real talk. That game's battle system is paced so slow. The only reason I got through it is because it made me laugh.

cj_iwakura

I appreciate WD for pioneering weeb game localization, but sometimes they went off the rails. I guess the industry was small enough at that point that they could get away with it.

I mean, go back a read an old RPG guidebook from the mid 90s. Some of the captions and text get straight-up surreal. Its amazing what people do when they think no one is watching.

Their Albert Odyssey "translation" is a bajillion times more entertaining than the actual game script though, real talk. That game's battle system is paced so slow. The only reason I got through it is because it made me laugh.

It has its charms. Great music, too.

My favorite line:

"By the way, what the heck are you doing in my house?"

WD are definitely the pioneers. Without them, the likes of Atlus and NIS wouldn't exist.

Top Bottom