• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

It's still illegal.

Are you going to report me to the cyber police?

For real though, man. No, it's not illegal if I own a copy of the game. It doesn't matter if I rip my own or download online, as long as I do in fact own a copy of the game.

Either way, either call the cops or help me fix this emulation problem. I ain't got time for an in between.

Krejlooc

Banned
Herp derp, I'm not making any judgement calls on anybody for pirating these games, so both of you can untwist your panties.

The point I'm making is that your post about "I don't need multiple copies of a disc to download multiple rips!" is a dumb point to make. Why even own the disc if you're just downloading the game to begin with? You didn't need to tell me you own the disc, I don't care. If you think owning the disc makes it ok to download the games, well, that's not right. It's still illegal. I don't particularly care that it's illegal, but it is.

And, regardless, the point I was making is if you're going to illegally pirate a game in the first place, using "I have a disc!" to make yourself feel better, why not just pirate the CPS2 version anyways?

Seik

Banned
It's still illegal.

As long as he owns a copy of the game, he's legit.

EDIT:
Herp derp, I'm not making any judgement calls on anybody for pirating these games, so both of you can untwist your panties.

The point I'm making is that your post about "I don't need multiple copies of a disc to download multiple rips!" is a dumb point to make. Why even own the disc if you're just downloading the game to begin with? You didn't need to tell me you own the disc, I don't care. If you think owning the disc makes it ok to download the games, well, that's not right. It's still illegal. I don't particularly care that it's illegal, but it is.

And, regardless, the point I was making is if you're going to illegally pirate a game in the first place, using "I have a disc!" to make yourself feel better, why not just pirate the CPS2 version anyways?

Well, this I can agree with, it's legit as long as it's a ROM that comes straight from your library.

That said, back to Saturn goodness, please, gentlemen. :)

cj_iwakura

Is Exile considered to be a pretty awful translation?

I'm pretty sure WD often "interpreted" the original text. Sometimes just making shit up that fits the pictures.

That's what a lot of Lunar for the Sega CD and Albert are essentially.

You say 'making shit up', I say 'adding character'.

Peagles

Lol. In NZ we technically aren't even allowed to "format shift". Wanna rip your games? Nope. Wanna rip your CDs? Nope. Wanna put your music on your iPod? Nope.

Does anybody care? Nope.

Some laws are just lame, archaic, and in severe need of updating.

For the record, I never said I actually owned this game. I just said it wasn't illegal to download multiple rips if you own a physical copy. I'm new to GAF and I wasn't quite sure if the rules allowed us to talk about stuff like that. So, for the time being, sure, I own like 50 copies. I got a whole damn warehouse full of X-men vs Street Fighter for the Saturn cause I'm just balls crazy like that.

Anyway, if anybody does happen to know any solution to my problem, I'd appreciate any help. I know this isn't really the place to go for this sort of thing but, as you can imagine, there's really not a lot of interest in this type of subject online anymore. A lot of the old forums and message boards for this kind of thing are shut down and, even if they're open, they tend to not be a lot of help.

I'm giving up on this for the moment but, if anyone in the future see's this and wants to help, feel free to pm me. Kthxbai

Khaz

He's actually right. While laws can diverge between countries about how legal it is to bypass copy protections and backup your own stuff, downloading a copy that someone else has put on the internet is definitely illegal in most countries (except maybe China?). It doesn't matter if they are bit-to-bit identical.

Then again, who cares.

If you do have an original I suggest you to try it in a real console and in SSF to make sure the emulator itself isn't the problem. Also try your backup in a real console too. SSF is unfinished, many games have glitches and some may not work at all. If you have problem using your download copy, I think the best place to get help is where you found it, as there are so many different ways to offer CDrips and so many more ways to fuck up when deflating/mounting/burning them.

[edit] this website lists compatibilities:
https://ssftribute.csdprojects.co.uk/showlist
XMen Vs Street Fighter wasn't tested. Please don't submit information if you don't have a console to test your copy.

Speaking of translations, I wonder what libertarian wrote this NPC's dialogue

kWEIElx.jpg

Then again, the irony of one of the most valuable Saturn games lecturing me on capitalism is not lost on me.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Speaking of translations, I wonder what libertarian wrote this NPC's dialogue

kWEIElx.jpg

Then again, the irony of one of the most valuable Saturn games lecturing me on capitalism is not lost on me.

Someone different from the liberal who wrote this dialogue ;)

1383541_10151744557863983_691624731_n.jpg

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
I'm hungry for more news on Saroo, the Saturn flashcart. I hope they pull it off.

So what exactly is going on with this project? Have they released an ETA yet? Also, might be a silly question but once this is out, will it allow you to use it in conjunction with the SSF emulator?

alf717

So what exactly is going on with this project? Have they released an ETA yet? Also, might be a silly question but once this is out, will it allow you to use it in conjunction with the SSF emulator?

Call me skeptical but until I see the hardware I'm gonna consider this vapor ware. The SD card project mentioned earlier in my mind is the real deal. JHL, the person that dumped the Block ROM, has what looks to be a working sample of what he is cooking up. Thanks to JHL there is now a new method of booting backups without a mod chip called Pseudo Saturn. It is in the early stages and you lose save and RAM functions but the creator Cyber Warrior X is planning to add these features back in if possible. This person is even looking into adding the ability to use 4 in 1 carts as direct save devices for Saturn games like the official carts. Granted it is too early to tell on all sides but these are two examples of working concepts and one of them can be used right now.

Well, there's at least footage of the flash cart booting a game. Not saying it's reliable proof, but these things take time. I'm not necessarily suspicious of Saroo not having news since February

Khaz

It's developed by the guy who found the exploit, how to bypass the copy protection check. Thanks to that, the other guy developing PseudoSaturn (the Action Replay mod) was able to modify his program in order for it to work with non-patched CDR copies.

PseudoSaturn was initially a clever trick. The console checks the CD for a header in the first track to know if it's a Saturn software or something else. If it's something else, it doesn't check the copy protection outer ring so the disc can still be read, just not launched as a Saturn software. By modifying the header string to something else (PseudoSaturn instead of SegaSaturn), it makes the console think it's just a random foreign cdrom, then the Action Replay can take over and start the code. The bulk of the hack involves rewriting the Action Replay so that it can start the game.

Now, the new exploit uses a method way too technical for me to understand, but it allows to bypass the copy protection check with the disc still being recognised by the console as a Saturn one (it's keeping the needed header intact). the PseudoSaturn trick isn't needed anymore but most of the work really is on the cartridge programming. It was devised with the hacked MPEG card, is being implemented in an Action Replay cartridge, and could potentially be integrated within the BIOS itself.

I would say, now that this work is done it's trivial to implement it anywhere. The hurdles for PseudoSaturn now is to reimplement the original functions of the AR: 1M/4M RAM cart, cheating device, and backup memory. The first would be not much trouble as it's a hardware feature, the second is just a matter of programming it back in. The third is, imho, what will take the most time to achieve. He wants the Memory to act as a conventional Memory cartridge, whereas the original AR used compressed memory only usable as a backup for the internal memory. I'm not an expert but that looks like quite a challenge.

Until PseudoSaturn fully matures, the MPEG way is the better option as it leaves the cartridge port usable. The problem being that PseudoSaturn is real, you can patch your own Action Replay, and the card is just a prototype in a garage.

Jamix012

I weep for you;

You shall not experience the glories that are possible.

Frankly, I'd wish you hadn't quoted it. While it's a gray area and downloading rips of games you already own is ethically ok in my book (though I don't do it), I think that some counterpoints made since that "debate" are essentially just pro-piracy.

One of the things I like about the NeoGAF retro scene is there is basically a "no buts" policy on piracy talk, which means that we get to see people's awesome collections and hear about people's experience about finding and playing games without devaluing such things by saying "Why not just get a ROM off the net." Most other places on the net are like that and it's unpleasant IMO. Not to mention that I don't think there's any ethical argument that holds water in favour of piracy.

I don't make the rules and am not anyone important, so there's no reason for you to listen to me at all, but I personally enjoyed the retro scene here more before I was brought to the harsh reality that some people here were simply pirating some of the rare games they spoke about.

Tain

I was under the impression that the rules, as they stand, allow everything except 1. straight-up saying you have pirated something, 2. directing people to where they can pirate things, and 3. starting witch hunts over people pirating things (attacking people for using emulators/flash carts/etc).

This always seemed reasonable to me.

alf717

I weep for you;

You shall not experience the glories that are possible.

This is why I wish there was a more legitimate way to enjoy games from the past. I understand that higher priorities are into new games with better graphics but there is a treasure trove of classics that deserve to be enjoyed. The Wii was the closest thing and best available option for this and now with the Wii U it is like an afterthought. I love watching Gamesack they cover so many great games then you hit up eBay only to be floored by reality just to see that the game goes for a ridiculously high price. The only person who profits in this case is the seller not the original content creator. I wish something was in place for classic titles with a greater emphasis on content, high quality releases and a weekly, bi-weekly or monthly release schedule and not a slow trickle of titles. I guess for now I'll just close my eyes and continue to dream.

IrishNinja

ehhh i like seeing original stuff here & not getting dismissive why not just emulate etc posts but i still cringe at the "ethical" high grounds some of ya'll take on this stuff.

many of us are actively contributing to a retro bubble that does fuckall for original developers, and mostly just feeds resellers & keeps prices high enough where most are looking at emulating/burning games etc as the only viable option in certain scenes (turbo, and this saturn on here in many cases). likewise, anyone whose moral center revolves around the arbitrary laws they find themselves in is another odd case, philosophically speaking.

if your collection is nothing but day-1 purchases with spine cards/etc that's cool, but why you'd thumb your nose at someone who wanted to experience Panzer Saga or Snatcher without missing a rent payment is beyond me. ethically speaking, even if i was so inclined, where is my high horse coming from when i just took part in a decades-old second-hand market?

I love watching Gamesack they cover so many great games then you hit up eBay only to be floored by reality just to see that the game goes for a ridiculously high price.

haha relevant to this thread: this was so me that time joe introduced me to Shinrei Jusatsushi Taromaru - i went from "hey that looks neat" to "FUCK NO"

alf717

haha relevant to this thread: this was so me that time joe introduced me to Shinrei Jusatsushi Taromaru - i went from "hey that looks neat" to "FUCK NO"

Same here. It was this thread that introduced me to them with the Sega Saturn episode. It was an instant subscribe for me when I watched it and I now look forward to their bi-weekly episode like an on air TV show. I would love to play Shinrei Jusatsushi Taromaru.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Hey guys, I was referred to this thread because of the piracy talk.

I'm not morally judging someone who might pirate a $200 game that's been out of print for 20 years, but in here people should not proceed with piracy talk.

When it comes to something like format shifting and whether it's OK for someone who owns a legit copy to download a ROM/ISO of something because it's too hard to format shift (this is the case with stuff like GameCube, for example, I don't know if it is with Saturn) our preference would be that people are assumed to be given the benefit of the doubt if they're just talking about playing a game, but that people not admit to or openly talk about pirating, even if it's piracy-by-indirect-format-shifting.

It's also OK to have a conversation about the ethical dimensions of old game preservation or whatever, but again as long as no one accuses someone of being a pirate and no one cops to being one.

This is the most live and let live way that we can have communities about retro stuff like Saturn collection / old arcade games / repro carts / modding / etc. Be guided by your conscience in your actions, but by our rules in your posts ;) Thanks.

IrishNinja

thank you for the clarification, stumps. sorry a conversation with other adults came to needing that.

for posterity: unless i missed something, the only thing anyone "admitted" to was downloading rips/ISO's of games they own, which i still can't wrap my head around how that'd bother a soul.

Are you going to report me to the cyber police?

guess that one got answered

Mercutio

thank you for the clarification, stumps. sorry a conversation with other adults came to needing that.

for posterity: unless i missed something, the only thing anyone "admitted" to was downloading rips/ISO's of games they own, which i still can't wrap my head around how that'd bother a soul.

guess that one got answered

Indeed it did. Shame it all had to come to this.

Food for thought: I've got a game I don't want to open, because it is sealed and valuable. In that scenario, what is acceptable?

Khaz

What's format shifting? copying your discs and cartridge to the computer?

I don’t think it bothered anyone. At best some were dumbfounded as to why someone would download an ISO if they have the original they can so easily rip/copy themselves. Also someone else claimed it was legal to download something when you had the original at home, which clearly isn't. Morally and ethically I don't give a damn what you download over the internet and how you use it, but stating you have the law with you is clearly incorrect. It topped "you can keep the rom for 24 hours" in the list of the most believed emulation myths.

BTails

Just played my JPN Saturn through RGB via a framemeister for the first time.

I am forever changed.

What settings on the Frameister did you use? My Saturn RGB cable is arriving soon, and I can't wait to experience it myself.

I've been running my SNES is meister mode currently.

robot

What settings on the Frameister did you use? My Saturn RGB cable is arriving soon, and I can't wait to experience it myself.

I've been running my SNES is meister mode currently.

I've been switching between normal and meister playing only Thunder Gold Pack so far, but think I'm settled on meister. Gonna try out a few more games (like 3D ones) just to confirm. It looks incredible either way.

Khaz

Sell it and buy a pre-opened one to play. Pocket the profits.

I was thinking I'd hate to be in that position, but I realised I am: I have plenty of games still in their shrinkwrap, all PS2. I suppose I bought them when the PS2 was near the end and people were discarding their remaining stock. Shadow of the Colossus (E), Sega Rally 2006 with Sega Rally Championship (J), Disgaea (U), We ❤ Katamari (U), Amplitude (E). Damn. I just put them on the shelf after I bought them because I was busy with something else, then I kind of forgot about them or got lazy. I always had so many other games to play with after all.

Mzo

Food for thought: I've got a game I don't want to open, because it is sealed and valuable. In that scenario, what is acceptable?

It'd be better not to bring it up because I will judge you. Harshly.

Free the sealed games! Let those puppies breathe!

I have a large, Peruvian faux-sacrificial knife with goat horns and human teeth as well as a bunch of sealed games.

Sounds like a youtube series to me.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
SSF is still far and away the best option for Saturn emulation. Yabause is getting better, but the compatibility (especially with the most popular games) is still pretty terrible.

The built-in scanline feature in SSF isn't impressive, but SweetFX can step in to provide a much nicer effect. There's a custom build of SweetFX built to work with SSF here, along with suggested settings to get it going.

Charlequin good lookin on this post dude. Thanks a bunch!

Komo

Banned
So, hey guys. I just bought a Saturn online and I'm waiting for it to arrive. It'll be my first time ever playing a Saturn, and I'm really excited!
I've ordered it from a neat little online store called 'Fully Retro' which have sold me a perfectly fine, fully functioning Dreamcast in the past, so I do trust them.

Although, the problem is that they're quite vague about what kind of video connector cables come bundled with the system. Apparently it could be RF, AV or SCART.
I'm honestly expecting an RF cable. (Which is what came with the Dreamcast initially) Maybe a composite if I'm lucky.
SCART if I'm ultra lucky :B

In the event I get an RF, I'm not really looking to shell out hundred on converter/switch boxes and other various hardware to output the greatest possible picture just yet.
With that said, what's the best/most affordable method to hookup the Saturn to an HDTV and still be able to enjoy the games, and where can I buy the stuff needed?

Saturn - PAL
TV - HD, 720p

Thanks!

Jamix012

So, hey guys. I just bought a Saturn online and I'm waiting for it to arrive. It'll be my first time ever playing a Saturn, and I'm really excited!
I've ordered it from a neat little online store called 'Fully Retro' which have sold me a perfectly fine, fully functioning Dreamcast in the past, so I do trust them.

Although, the problem is that they're quite vague about what kind of video connector cables come bundled with the system. Apparently it could be RF, AV or SCART.
I'm honestly expecting an RF cable. (Which is what came with the Dreamcast initially) Maybe a composite if I'm lucky.
SCART if I'm ultra lucky :B

In the event I get an RF, I'm not really looking to shell out hundred on converter/switch boxes and other various hardware to output the greatest possible picture just yet.
With that said, what's the best/most affordable method to hookup the Saturn to an HDTV and still be able to enjoy the games, and where can I buy the stuff needed?

Thanks!

I presume you don't have a SCART hookup on your TV. If so that's the way to go if you want to stay somewhat cheap. Otherwise S Video is a perfectly valid alternative (please never play on anything below S video straight to an HD TV. You'll regret it.)

If you have neither S video nor Scart inputs on the TV, the cheapest way to get a decent picture out of your Saturn is probably SCART to YUV adapter I've been hearing about. That'll run you about $50 on top of cables. I guess you could probably find some cheap-o S-video to HDMI but it's probably not going to be much cheaper than SCART to YUV and you might as well run with that. Welcome to the club, btw!

Timu

If you have neither S video nor Scart inputs on the TV, the cheapest way to get a decent picture out of your Saturn is probably SCART to YUV adapter I've been hearing about. That'll run you about $50 on top of cables.
I have one of those and it's worth it.=p

isamu

Man....

SSF is very finicky when it comes to sfx. It also is in DIRE need of support for more options.

Khaz

I have a weird problem with Sega Touring Car Championship. At boot it tells me that it cannot save ghost data because I don't have 942 free blocks on the Memory Cart, but the system menu tells me that I have more than 3000 left.

[Edit] and I just corrupted my memory cart by taking it out then putting it back in while the system was on. Kids, don't do that.

[edit 2] Ok apparently you can restore a corrupt memory cart by starting the initialisation and quickly turning the console off. I may have not been quick enough as I lost my earliest and most treasured saves, my Sega Rally high scores and ghost data.

BTails

I have a weird problem with Sega Touring Car Championship. At boot it tells me that it cannot save ghost data because I don't have 942 free blocks on the Memory Cart, but the system menu tells me that I have more than 3000 left.

Is your memory cart a Pro Action Replay by any chance? I've heard that games can't save directly to the cart, though it's not an issue for most games as you can save to internal memory then switch it over.

Khaz

Is your memory cart a Pro Action Replay by any chance? I've heard that games can't save directly to the cart, though it's not an issue for most games as you can save to internal memory then switch it over.

No it's an official one. You need one to save the ghost data for Sega racing games, they take a lot of space. I tried deleting the regular save that was on the memory cart and the game started like new, asking where I should save etc. But no matter which I choose (internal or cart), it still gives me the same error message. I have now 4573 free blocks on the Memory cart.

Lettuce

Well, there's at least footage of the flash cart booting a game. Not saying it's reliable proof, but these things take time. I'm not necessarily suspicious of Saroo not having news since February

Well the guy who makes the GDEMU devices for the DreamCast appears to be working on a similar device for the Saturn....

http://gdemu.wordpress.com/2014/06/18/no-more-room-on-the-carpet/

Might breath new life into my launch day Saturn which the cd drive/laser no longer works

IrishNinja

^you did the right thing
im still looking for a disc-only copy of the US one onna cheap, but meanwhile, you & your buddy have bomberman and monies

You don't need it. It just has more content.

If there's a legit reason I'm open to it. Just snagged a complete copy of Street Fighter Alpha 2, which is one of my fav games in the series.

Do I already own it on ps one? Yes.
Do I already own the alpha anthology on ps2? Yes.
Am I crazy? Yes.

But it's the best version and I get to use my beloved saturn pad. I just love what my US saturn collection looks like all lined up.

Top Bottom