• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

cj_iwakura

Depends. I didn't have any motivation to do another campaign with someone else, myself. I like the game but I don't think it's that good to replay with a different path. But, I do it all the times with the Souls games, for example, whereas for most once is enough.

Some campaigns in DF wildly change the gameplay. Reinhart, for instance, requires you to be very defensive since he has a weak team. Leon's puts you in ground zero with at least three kingdoms attacking at any given time. The Zanon sidequest changes between campaigns as well.

GUN-NAC

PDS is a cool experience but not worth $300 at ALL. Buy it, beat it a few times (doesn't take long), then sell it. Ideally it won't have costed you a dime.

Eh, that was more viable back when games like PDS (US) could easily be bought for £60/$100. These days? High Ebay/Paypal fees plus the overinflated prices themselves, make that much more difficult unless you got the game in a private sale or from a friend.

I wouldn't try to compare Panzer Dragoon Saga with Dragon Force. It's kinda funny that both are still dirt cheap in Japan (and always will be), tho.

Celine

Rockman X4? I always associated it with PlayStation since it never came out it my territory, but I quite like it on a Saturn controller.
I could be wrong but I think to remember X4 started as a Saturn exclusive.
Sony then asked Capcom to get the game on PS1 too.

petran79

Banned
I remember reading about a Japan exclusive Saturn game, probably isometric action platformer, featuring a bat cartoon character. One of the obscure Saturn games

Does anyone remember the title?

KC-Slater

I received my SD-card optical drive replacement, but am having issues ripping my games to a suitable format within OS X.

Can anyone suggest a method to do so? Keep in mind that I have very limited access to a PC, so my ideal solution would be to do so without Windows if possible.

Suitable formats include the following: .cdi, .mds/.mdf, .bin (only for single track images, needs RAW sectors.)

Seik

Banned
I'm a bit drunk and just came back from a family party...

But hey, merry Christmas to all of you, Saturn lovers GAF, you're the best. :D

My brother got me this for Christmas, found it at a goodwill. Haven't played it yet but I'm stoked to try it out.

2014-5_zpsed4246ad.jpg

(not my image, the one I got it in great condition though, case and all)

Khaz

My brother got me this for Christmas, found it at a goodwill. Haven't played it yet but I'm stoked to try it out.

(not my image, the one I got it in great condition though, case and all)

He got the wrong one I believe :/ . You want NHL Powerplay or NHL All-Star Hockey 98 (which is really Powerplay 98), not the first All-Star Hockey. This version uses a different engine that looks terrible and controls worse.

[edit] Even if it's the inferior version, I'm sure it's still good and you will enjoy it. I don't want to crap on your Christmas present, sorry :(

That's adorable! Until you realize Tails is locked out. But he does look happy.

Now I'm confused...

I'm sure the original idea of it was Tails coming over to see Sonic and seeing him though the window but all it really looks like is either him being locked out, or him just peeping in on Sonic.

Khaz

He's locked outside because he drank half of the Champagne bottle. He's happy smiling not feeling the biting cold because, well he has drank half of a bottle of Champagne.
Ask any random British girl for more information.
You can see the alcohol in his eyes.

I'm an idiot, so please excuse my ignorance...

If I were to get a hold of a legit US copy of Shining Force III could I run it on a PC with some form of emulation? How does this work?

Basically I just wanna play SFIII. How do I do this?

Tain

I'm an idiot, so please excuse my ignorance...

If I were to get a hold of a legit US copy of Shining Force III could I run it on a PC with some form of emulation? How does this work?

Basically I just wanna play SFIII. How do I do this?

You should be able to get the latest version of SSF here:

http://www.geocities.jp/mj3kj8o5/ssf/files/SSF_012_beta_R4.zip

...pop the disc in your computer, run SSF, set up controls, and simply play it. SSF doesn't require a Saturn BIOS ROM anymore, and seems to play plenty of games well without it.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
It's still generally a good idea to use a BIOS, and to rip the disc to your computer and use a virtual drive instead of playing from the disc directly.

It's still generally a good idea to use a BIOS, and to rip the disc to your computer and use a virtual drive instead of playing from the disc directly.

That sounds great in theory but none of what you said makes real sense to me. I'm kind of an idiot when it comes to PCs. I wouldn't know how to go about using a BIOS or using virtual drives or any of that...

Tain

You can save a CD to your computer as a disc image using software like imgburn. This is handy, since it means you won't need to put in the disc whenever you want to play, but unlike a lot of other emulators for CD-based platforms, SSF doesn't support opening disc image files (it only reads from your computer's disc drives). You can get around that by installing software that acts as a fake CD drive that you can load your disc image file into, should you want to.

The Saturn's BIOS (the thing you see when you turn on a Saturn without a game in it, to oversimplify) is a file you'd probably have to scour the internet for and then load into SSF, but it would ensure more accurate emulation.

What are everyone's favourite "wait, that was a Saturn game to?" Titles. I keep meaning to get my hands on Wipeout 2097 to sed how it plsys with the Saturn controller, but its a bit expensive in these 'ere parts (especially when compared to the PS version.

Darkseed and Vandal Hearts.

BTails

Are the Dark Seed games import friendly? I know I could probably get the DOS versions on GoG or some similar site, but I'd love to play them on my Saturn.

Are the Dark Seed games import friendly? I know I could probably get the DOS versions on GoG or some similar site, but I'd love to play them on my Saturn.
GOG doesn't offer either Darkseed, so your only recourse would be an aftermarket site like eBay regardless.

Anyway, yes and no. Darkseed is, sort of; all the text is in Japanese, but they kept the English voiceovers from the talkie versions of the game, so you can understand what's being said just fine (not many lines aren't spoken in that game). Darkseed 2, however, is dubbed into Japanese in addition to having Japanese text (and only a few lines are spoken aloud at all - unlike the PC version, where, like the first game, pretty much everything is spoken), so unless you use the Wrongpurae or something for reference or understand Japanese, you'll probably get stuck.

Incidentally, Japanese Mike Dawson in DS2 has a really deep voice - a stark contrast to the nasal, whiny voice the sequel gave him in English. (See this video; compare his undubbed scream to his dubbed talking immediately thereafter.)

Hope that explains everything. *explodes*

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
What are everyone's favourite "wait, that was a Saturn game to?" Titles. I keep meaning to get my hands on Wipeout 2097 to sed how it plsys with the Saturn controller, but its a bit expensive in these 'ere parts (especially when compared to the PS version.

I fired up Space Hulk the other day. An abdolute cracker regardless of format. The modern version actually feels like a step back in the imagination stakes.

spacehulk9.jpg

I just got a 3DO and I know this is a fairly well known game on that library... looks extremely sluggish and unappealing though

Also, I gave my friend his Christmas gifts, which included 4 Saturn imports - Anarchy in the Nippon, Waku Waku 7, Samurai Spirits RPG and Tengai Makyo: The Apocalypse IV.

It was my first time playing the Saturn Waku Waku 7, and honestly the port sucks.. graphics are very messy and pixellated, and playing Fernandeath as a character causes a lot of slowdown. Stick with the arcade or Neo Geo versions.

Also my first time playing Anarchy in the Nippon. And this game was a surprise! Its a really obscure game, but its a 3D fighter heavily influenced by Virtua Fighter. Graphics are pretty bland and lack a lot of detail, but they are extremely crisp (my friend got a Framemeister for Christmas and I'm sure that helped... he doesn't have an SCART yet so we were just doing composite) and run at a smooth 60FPS. So the game holds up surprisingly well in the graphics department. Gameplay.. well, its basically VF and neither of us are big fans of that series. The single-player was pretty laughable, as the majority of AI fell to spamming the same type of attack over and over. But the characters are hilarious... a sushi chef, a sarariman, and a middle-aged lady who does Eddy Gordo-ish capoeira round out the list. Music is that 90's jazzy funky stuff (called "fusion" I believe) common in Japanese arcade games of that era. Game is also really cheap, I think I paid about $6 before shipping, and the ebay seller (a Japanese lady from Hokkaido) even packed along a bag of sencha green tea. I stole that for myself ;)

Anth0ny

So never in a million years did I expect to unwrap a Christmas present and see this:

jzQtdQmMytsw5.JPG

Holy shit. My girlfriend is crazy. Probably the most obscure gift I've ever received for Christmas lol

Now my Saturn collection can truly begin :)

sarcoa

I'd always read that the Saturn's Japanese library was worth looking into - growing up I amassed quite a Saturn collection and have slowly added to it over the years, buying quality stuff when deals arose.

I googled some games worth importing, looked them up on eBay, and my god is everything supposed to be unreasonably expensive? Games that I thought looked cool:

Bulk Slash
Elevator Action Returns
Tryrush Deppy
Galaxy Force II
Night Striker
G Vector
Nekketsu Oyako
Power Drift
Super Tempo

are all hundred(s) of dollars. Willy Wombat and Assault Suit Lanos were the only ones that seemed affordable, topping out in the $30 range. Thank god I'm not interested in shmumps.

Is this just exorbitant Buy It Now eBay pricing? Has have used shops in Japan been shopped to death and games like these are exclusively in the hands of collectors? Or am I looking in the wrong places?

I'd always read that the Saturn's Japanese library was worth looking into - growing up I amassed quite a Saturn collection and have slowly added to it over the years, buying quality stuff when deals arose.

I googled some games worth importing, looked them up on eBay, and my god is everything supposed to be unreasonably expensive? Games that I thought looked cool:

Bulk Slash
Elevator Action Returns
Tryrush Deppy
Galaxy Force II
Night Striker
G Vector
Nekketsu Oyako
Power Drift
Super Tempo

are all hundred(s) of dollars. Willy Wombat and Assault Suit Lanos were the only ones that seemed affordable, topping out in the $30 range. Thank god I'm not interested in shmumps.

Is this just exorbitant Buy It Now eBay pricing? Has have used shops in Japan been shopped to death and games like these are exclusively in the hands of collectors? Or am I looking in the wrong places?

I don't know the reason, but retrogaming has become quite expensive in the latest years.
I also have Super Tempo which I bought around 6 years ago from a UK based online shop and I paid around 30 euros, now its price is around 3x
Same happened with Super Famicom.
One of the reason could be in Japan those games are becoming difficult to find, especially complete (you can find a lot of FC and SFC loos cartridges and Saturn games without spine-card) and also I noticed there is not a fast restock in shops, I'm going hunting for SS games around Tokyo and often a shop which I visited a month ago has the same stuff it had when I went there.
This is not happening of course for PS2 or PS3 games, maybe we brought too much games outside Japan in the latest 10 years :D

Fatnick

I just got a 3DO and I know this is a fairly well known game on that library... looks extremely sluggish and unappealing though

No no! Space Hulk is amazing. The outer skin is a FPS, but the heart is definitrly that of a strategy game. Consequentley, while it might be a bit slow its really tense and atmospheric.

Pribably a better Aliens game than the Alien games of the era.

Bar81

Bulk Slash
Elevator Action Returns
Tryrush Deppy
Galaxy Force II
Night Striker
G Vector
Nekketsu Oyako
Power Drift
Super Tempo

You're about five years late to the party. The real good times were about 10 years ago though. Now you'll have to accept that some games just command certain prices - the internet and youtube have made everybody aware of what's out there. If you're dreaming about $30 video games just walk away.

Having said that, if you're willing to adjust your budget to more realistic figures - sub$100 - and are not picky about condition then those games can be had. Ebay bins are almost always overpriced - either wait for an auction, use a proxy and buy on Yahoo JP where you can sometimes find deals or buy direct from sites outside ebay.

Top Bottom