• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

I spent this morning changing the BIOS chip in my Japanese Saturn to a region free version. I had some trouble de-soldering the chip from the motherboard because I couldn't quite get all the solder out from every pin. Anyway after an hour or so I finally managed to get it free. After removal I soldered a DIP socket in its place which means I can easily change out the BIOS chip in the future if I want. I patched a version 1.0 bios, programmed it to a 27C400, created a custom label (lol) and popped it in. I was sweating for a while after the de-soldering debacle but it powered up perfectly first time! So now I can rid my Saturn of the action replay and play any region games without issue. Anyway, I'm pretty happy that it turned out so well, here's a photo (you can also see the Phantom Universal mod chip which I installed previously).

saturn-mod.jpg

Khaz

I was sweating for a while after the de-soldering debacle but it powered up perfectly first time!

My first try at removing a dip chip was the Mega-CD2 BIOS, and I completely botched it. The first boot after the installation was indeed sweat-inducing, in fact nothing booted. After a while I got better at this art and managed to repair it completely but yeah, the first boot is traumatizing.

What's cool is you had a dip BIOS so you can socket it. Most Saturn bar the first ones have a surface mounted chip which is also glued to the board, and it can be a pain to remove and reinstall. I love your label :)

I just recently got a saturn from a pawn shop.
Model 2 saturn
1 original controller
1 nights controller
2 wireless controller (Docs)
Some racing game

for $60

Not entirely sure about saturn pricing but was that a good deal?

Ive read up on how the memory works in the saturn and already ordered one of those action replay carts since I want to play imports but suck at soldering so the bios mod is out of the question for me.
My biggest concern are the game saves, apparently the internal memory is pretyy small (the included racing game save takes up the entire space) and Ive read reports of people losing/corrupted saves from memory cards. Is this a widespread problem? I plan on playing some rpgs so losing saves would suck.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Ive read up on how the memory works in the saturn and already ordered one of those action replay carts since I want to play imports but suck at soldering so the bios mod is out of the question for me.
My biggest concern are the game saves, apparently the internal memory is pretyy small (the included racing game save takes up the entire space) and Ive read reports of people losing/corrupted saves from memory cards. Is this a widespread problem? I plan on playing some rpgs so losing saves would suck.
1) Clean the Saturn's cartridge slot. Use something small to pick out whatever you can from it first. (You'd be surprised at what can accumulate at the bottom of a cartridge slot over several years.) Then blow out whatever small particles you can with a can of compressed air. Finally, use rubbing alcohol with a high isopropyl concentration (preferably >90%) to clean the contacts. Try wetting a piece of cloth with it and wrapping that cloth around an old credit card or something similar; that's usually a good fit. Repeat with a clean section of cloth until it's no longer picking up any more grime. Try not to be too forceful with any of these methods; you don't want to forcefully push the connector pins apart further than they're supposed to be during normal use.

2) Clean the contacts of the Action Replay cartridge itself (and the contacts of any other cartridge you may want to use on it). Q-tips and rubbing alcohol should be sufficient. You can opt to open the cartridge in order to reach all areas of the contacts more easily. Repeat until the cotton swabs are also picking up no more dirt.

3) Insert the cartridge into the system firmly and never remove it unless you have to in order to prevent unnecessary wear. (There is a very small number of games that are incompatible with the Action Replay, so you shouldn't ever have to remove it for normal use cases.) If the Saturn has difficulty detecting the cartridge or reading from / writing to it, try ever so slightly pulling the cartridge outward instead of leaving it inserted all the way, then turn on the system and try again.

You can't save data directly to the Action Replay because Saturn games don't detect it as a save cartridge. So, you have to use the system's internal memory while playing, then copy the save data to the cartridge via the Action Replay's menu once you're finished. Same thing in reverse when loading a game; you have to copy the save file from the Action Replay back to the system. Usually not too much of a hassle for most games, but this can be a pain for games that support multiple save files but also take up a huge amount of memory, in which case it's often more convenient to use normal save cartridges to juggle multiple playthroughs at once.

FWIW, I recommend sticking with the internal memory when you can just to minimize issues, and to play one game at a time until you're done with it, then copy the save file to the cartridge and consider it more of an archival storage solution than your primary storage. The Saturn's cartridge slot just isn't reliable and you're probably going to have problems with it eventually one way or another.

If you ever need to change the system's internal battery without wiping the internal memory, then you can do so by changing the battery while the system is powered on. Not sure if this carries any risks, though.

So I'm going through a bit of an old school shooter kick at the moment which led to me checking out videos on the Saturn ports of Quake and Duke Nukem. From what I saw of them they seemed fairly impressive visually so I'm going to hunt down some copies but it led me to thinking if there were any other ports I should check out on the system.

Really I'm interested in well done non-exclusive games (3D games being more interesting) that I can compare against on other systems/PC. I've tried googling for results but outside of Lobotomy's games I'm finding it hard to find information on that fairly specific criteria.

Any suggestions?

alf717

Model 2 saturn
1 original controller
1 nights controller
Some racing game

for $60

Not entirely sure about saturn pricing but was that a good deal?

I would say you got a pretty good deal. I see them go for $40 - $60 just for the console and hook ups. I got a Saturn back in the early 2000's and paid $60 for my setup which was a model 2 console with the three pack in titles (Daytona USA, Virtua Fighter 2, and Virtua Cop), Soviet Strike, Scorcher and some demo games with two of the newer model 2 controllers.

I can't give much experience with the save memory but I use the internal storage and an Action Replay 4 in 1 to swap out saved games when the space is filled up. My guess is that most corruption is from poorly built third party save devices and the hit or miss cartridge slot.

Khaz

Model 2 saturn
1 original controller
1 nights controller
Some racing game

for $60

That's a really good deal, the controllers alone can have some crazy prices. What's the racing game?

You don't need a Bios mod to get region-free, there is a solution involving jumpers and switches you can use. It's less a hassle than a Bios mod, but it still involves soldering I guess.

You will need an authentic Memory cartridge if you want to save your replays in Sega Rally and Daytona USA, they are too big for the internal memory and the Action Replay can't handle live saving. Other than that the internal memory is big enough to keep plenty of saves (plenty more than the measly PS1 12slots).

I've only corrupted my authentic Memory Cartridge once, and it was my own fault entirely, as I took it off while the console was still on. It's easy to repair though, as you just need to start a cartridge format and turn the console off immediately as the process starts. Unfortunately I may not have been fast enough as I lost the first/oldest save on it, my Sega Rally times :'( I suppose corruption can also occur with a faulty or unreliable cartridge slot.

You shouldn't be able to corrupt an Action Replay though, as the saves are compressed and not directly available to the system.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
You shouldn't be able to corrupt an Action Replay though, as the saves are compressed and not directly available to the system.
If the connection between cartridge and system is even a little shaky, files will be ruined upon transfer between the two.

Khaz

If the connection between cartridge and system is even a little shaky, files will be ruined upon transfer between the two.

And you wouldn't even know it until getting the save back on the console to play it.
I would think there would be some protection, like checking the data after a copy?

KC-Slater

I'd always read that the Saturn's Japanese library was worth looking into - growing up I amassed quite a Saturn collection and have slowly added to it over the years, buying quality stuff when deals arose.

I googled some games worth importing, looked them up on eBay, and my god is everything supposed to be unreasonably expensive? Games that I thought looked cool:

Bulk Slash
Elevator Action Returns
Tryrush Deppy
Galaxy Force II
Night Striker
G Vector
Nekketsu Oyako
Power Drift
Super Tempo

are all hundred(s) of dollars. Willy Wombat and Assault Suit Lanos were the only ones that seemed affordable, topping out in the $30 range. Thank god I'm not interested in shmumps.

Is this just exorbitant Buy It Now eBay pricing? Has have used shops in Japan been shopped to death and games like these are exclusively in the hands of collectors? Or am I looking in the wrong places?

Look in to getting a RHEA. I picked one up, and it made a ton of games I was interested in checking out, suddenly accessible. The GDEMU for Dreamcast is also awesome.

That's a really good deal, the controllers alone can have some crazy prices. What's the racing game?.

Andretti Racing. I dont normally care for racing games and I played it once then quit but the career mode save took up nearly all the internal space. I'll probably get another card and just use it as a backup along with the action replay.

Ms. Tea

Look in to getting a RHEA. I picked one up, and it made a ton of games I was interested in checking out, suddenly accessible. The GDEMU for Dreamcast is also awesome.

Oh cool, how are you finding the Rhea? Any issues with it so far? I have a 20-pin Saturn so I was thinking of getting one of the early models.

Played a bit of Saturn last evening, bit of Sega Ages with Afterburner II, Out Run and Space Harrier. Fun games that seem to stand the test of time forever.

Lastly I played Sega Rally, posted a few times on the records there, had to turn off the Saturn and turned back on later. Realised my records were gone, so does this game not hold records, or could it be that it saves directly to the memory card which I had taken out?

Khaz

Lastly I played Sega Rally, posted a few times on the records there, had to turn off the Saturn and turned back on later. Realised my records were gone, so does this game not hold records, or could it be that it saves directly to the memory card which I had taken out?

If you have your saves on a memory cartridge, it recognises it and carries on saving on it.

KC-Slater

Oh cool, how are you finding the Rhea? Any issues with it so far? I have a 20-pin Saturn so I was thinking of getting one of the early models.

No issues so far. I have a GDEMU as well, and both were a breeze to install. RHEA required a bit of soldering (which I have next to no experience with) but I still managed to figure it out pretty easily.

Did you solder it on yourself? Assuming you did, was it difficult?

The hardest part was just identifying wherer to solder on your Saturn (two points total; 5v and Ground) but I managed to figure it out by watching YouTube videos of others installing Saturn mod chips. If you end up picking one up, and are unclear on anything, PM me, and I can post pictures or walk you through it.

Definitely don't let any fear of messing up your Saturn stop you. It's really straight forward. The most time consuming aspect is unscrewing everything.

(Speaking of which, its nice because it does not require a region mod to play imports.)

KC-Slater

One thing I forgot to mention; so far, so good in terms of compatibility with my game back-ups, but I am using OS X and have very limited access to Windows, and the .cdi file type is the preferred method for compatibility with RHEA. After a bit of digging, I have concluded that it is derivative of some Windows-only burning/backup software, so I had to jump through some hoops in order to get my library ripped, as a Mac-user.

This is by no means a deal breaker, but worth mentioning.

Ms. Tea

No issues so far. I have a GDEMU as well, and both were a breeze to install. RHEA required a bit of soldering (which I have next to no experience with) but I still managed to figure it out pretty easily.

That's great! I'm definitely going to have to get one.

Once it's installed, how hard is it to reach the card? Do you have to remove the Saturn's top to remove/insert the SD card?

If you have your saves on a memory cartridge, it recognises it and carries on saving on it.

That's it then! Thanks for the info, it's kind of random which games that support or not imo. Sonic Jam at least lets you choose and keeps the cursor on the most recent one.

Teknoman

Played a bit of Saturn last evening, bit of Sega Ages with Afterburner II, Out Run and Space Harrier. Fun games that seem to stand the test of time forever.

I still cant get a grip on how to plat Afterburner II :(

Khaz

That's it then! Thanks for the info, it's kind of random which games that support or not imo. Sonic Jam at least lets you choose and keeps the cursor on the most recent one.

It's just automatic and completely transparent. You don't have to think about your save: they're here, they're done when needed. You can move them to your cartridge for space management but ingame you don't have to do anything, it's detected.

And please share your records with us! I've compiled several Gaffers times on Sega Rally and Daytona USA so we can compare each other. I'll post it later today.

I'd always read that the Saturn's Japanese library was worth looking into - growing up I amassed quite a Saturn collection and have slowly added to it over the years, buying quality stuff when deals arose.

I googled some games worth importing, looked them up on eBay, and my god is everything supposed to be unreasonably expensive? Games that I thought looked cool:

Bulk Slash
Elevator Action Returns
Tryrush Deppy
Galaxy Force II
Night Striker
G Vector
Nekketsu Oyako
Power Drift
Super Tempo

are all hundred(s) of dollars. Willy Wombat and Assault Suit Lanos were the only ones that seemed affordable, topping out in the $30 range. Thank god I'm not interested in shmumps.

Is this just exorbitant Buy It Now eBay pricing? Has have used shops in Japan been shopped to death and games like these are exclusively in the hands of collectors? Or am I looking in the wrong places?

Tryrush Deppy and Super Tempo are good looking, well-animated platformers, but they aren't great games. Watching docfuture's let's play of the two is a better experience, real talk.

It's just automatic and completely transparent. You don't have to think about your save: they're here, they're done when needed. You can move them to your cartridge for space management but ingame you don't have to do anything, it's detected.

Yeah, I'm impressed about this. Playing Sega Rally everthing seems so well designed for just sitting and playing easily; quick menues, short loadtimes and very little hassle in general. It just works.

And please share your records with us! I've compiled several Gaffers times on Sega Rally and Daytona USA so we can compare each other. I'll post it later today.
I'll have to practice a bit! Haven't played much of SR on Saturn since I bought it a couple of years back. I love the feeling and excellent port of it though. Daytona I've mainly played the 360 arcade port. Is there anything to gain by playing the Saturn one really?

Khaz

I'll have to practice a bit! Haven't played much of SR on Saturn since I bought it a couple of years back. I love the feeling and excellent port of it though. Daytona I've mainly played the 360 arcade port. Is there anything to gain by playing the Saturn one really?

You can play as a horse.
Or Two.

Mercutio

Tryrush Deppy and Super Tempo are good looking, well-animated platformers, but they aren't great games. Watching docfuture's let's play of the two is a better experience, real talk.

I agree about Tyrush whole-heartedly, but I actually really like Super Tempo even if the bosses are a little annoying.

After approximately seven years of being stuck up in the attic, I decided to get a few of my Saturn bits down and keep them in my room.

I have more games than this, but these are the only ones I ever seem to play. Got the SFIII trilogy and Panzer Saga off ebay back around 2001-2002 - at £80 Saga is still the most I have ever paid for a game, and my dad had a heart attack but hey-ho!

The Premium Disc I got mailed to me directly by Camelot around the same time after I emailed them and asked if they had any left. I had to send them proof I'd purchased the whole trilogy but that wasn't exactly hard. Probably my prize Saturn possession.

Japanese Scenario 1 and X-Men vs. Street Fighter/4mb Card bundle I got from Super Potato in Akihabara when I was in Japan years later. It was something of a perfect relief to finally have X-men vs SF since I remember agonizing over not being able to get it back when it came out and the guys at Sega Saturn Magazine were raving about it.

Speaking of which....

Also decided to bring these down. I started collecting from issue 12 way back in '96 when I was barely 11 years old. Never really felt I missed much by not seeking out the earlier issues, as I preferred the editorial style/direction the magazine took as the Saturn progressively nosedived in the west.

As you can see I'm missing issue 25. I did have it, but I lent it to my uncle who wanted to read up on Duke Nukem 3D and the fucker lost it. Alas. Still, the whole run from 1-37 has been scanned and preserved by others online so it's all out there to enjoy.

Mrdrboi

Banned
I am having issues with my SS Lightgun. I hooked up my SS and everything to play some Virtua Cop and the lightgun seems to be not working right kinda sorta?

Its not a new TV its not even a flatscreen Its probably a CRT tv. I go to the gun adjust and I get nothing. I pull the trigger the TV Flashes and the game counts my trigger pull as an off screen pull even though im pointing it right at it.

I adjusted my TV brightness and nothing. Is it the TV or the Lightgun?

Original Daytona or CCE Edition?

My Saturn only has a crappy off-brand RF adapter and it's so bad I've refused to play it.

Whats a decent AV cable on Amazon or Ebay? I want to pick something up cheap.

Khaz

Original Daytona or CCE Edition?

Unless there is a flagrant difference between versions achievable times, I'll keep them all together. I keep track of them anyway. Arcade only, medium difficulty, I believe gaffers won't mess with the options to get better time and keep it fair play.

piggychan

Just picked up Winter Heat and Decathalete! Woo!

Those games are graphically very good too. the decathalete is running on the Saturn's high res while in 60fps but winter heat takes a dip. Love the colors and events particularly downhill and slalom on Winter Heat tho although the one that really irks me was Ariel jump.

piggychan

I am having issues with my SS Lightgun. I hooked up my SS and everything to play some Virtua Cop and the lightgun seems to be not working right kinda sorta?

Its not a new TV its not even a flatscreen Its probably a CRT tv. I go to the gun adjust and I get nothing. I pull the trigger the TV Flashes and the game counts my trigger pull as an off screen pull even though im pointing it right at it.

you should be able to calibrate the light gun in any of the shooting games tho. But I think those lightguns are designed for either 50hz/60hz refresh...

My Saturn only has a crappy off-brand RF adapter and it's so bad I've refused to play it.

Whats a decent AV cable on Amazon or Ebay? I want to pick something up cheap.

I got a this off ebay and it looks pretty good on a crt (trinitron with s-video) was a bit cheaper before from a different seller.

Khaz

Lightguns specificaly only works on 50/60Hz 15kHz CRT monitors.
- CRT = big, bulky, heavy monitor
- 15kHz = not VGA computer monitor or arcade monitor
- 50/60Hz the standard, non-enhanced refresh rate. Later higher end CRT monitors had a doubled refresh rate (100/120Hz) to mitigate the strobe that could happen with interlaced signals. That's probably your problem.

Or your gun has a broken sensor. Could happen too.

I got a this off ebay and it looks pretty good on a crt (trinitron with s-video) was a bit cheaper before from a different seller.

Thanks, I ended up getting this one off Amazon because it was cheap and the reviews were really good. Hopefully I don't have any issues, but if I do I'll pick up the ones you suggested.

I don't use S-Video on my CRT right now, it's just too much of a pain to get back there and I don't have a AV switch that supports S-Video. I'm planning on doing a major upgrade soon.

Is there any recommended pc controller with 6 face button?
it's very inconvenient to play saturn games on the emulator with the standard 4 face button controllers.

Top Bottom