• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

My list is probably something like:

X-Men Vs. Street Fighter
Panzer Dragoon II Zwei
NiGHTS Into Dreams
Fighters Megamix
Vampire Savior
OutRun
Daytona USA: Circuit Edition
Sega Rally Championship
Guardian Heroes
Sonic Jam

Out of all of those, Guardian Heroes and Sonic Jam are probably the only pricey ones. Maybe XvSF too, since you'd need to get an Action Replay 4-in-1 to play it as well.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Saturn dudes. Your personal top ten games I need to play?
Virtua Fighter 2
Shinobi Legions
Galactic Attack
Shining Force III
Metal Black
OutRun
NiGHTS into dreams...
Darius Gaiden
Panzer Dragoon Zwei
X-Men vs Street Fighter

Huggers

Virtua Fighter 2
Shinobi Legions
Galactic Attack
Shining Force III
Metal Black
OutRun
NiGHTS into dreams...
Darius Gaiden
Panzer Dragoon Zwei
X-Men vs Street Fighter

I have this. Can't believe how awesome it is and the fact I've only just found out about it

gelf

Okay list time:

Panzer Dragoon Saga
Virtua Fighter 2
Panzer Dragoon Zwei
Sega Rally
Night Warriors: Darkstalkers Revenge - I prefer it to Vampire Saviour for reasons I can't describe
Fighters Megamix
Die Hard Arcade
Virtua Cop 2
Street Fighter Alpha 2/Gold
Christmas Nights - prefer it to full Nights even though its only one level. Also the full version of Christmas Nights wasn't entirely put into the recentish HD port of Nights. Its missing most of the presents.

I still need to somehow try the more obscure stuff that didn't come out in PAL land.

My personal favorites on the console (of the games I've played, anyway):

Panzer Dragoon Saga (you might need to play the first two to get the full experience, but I actually don't much care for the shmups)
Shining the Holy Ark
Mega Man X4
Radiant Silvergun
Powerslave
Magic Knight Rayearth
Daytona USA
Clockwork Knight 2
NiGHTS into Dreams...
Sonic 3D Blast (unpopular choice, but screw it, I really like this game)

Almost certainly more esoteric than others' lists, and including some entries that you're probably off buying elsewhere (Daytona had an ace XBLA/PSN port, for instance), but there she is.

Panzer Dragoon Zwei
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Vampire Savior
Elevator Action Returns
Radiant Silvergun <durr its overrated durr>
Battle Garegga
Sokyugurentai
Astal
Last Gladiators
Necronomicon

Seik

Banned
I'll jump in!

My List (no order)

Mega Man 8
Rockman X3
Rockman X4
Elevator Action Returns
Panzer Dragoon Zwei
Street Fighter Zero 3
Resident Evil
Hyper Duel
Dodonpachi
Guardian Heroes

Note that I'm listing both MM and Rockman names, it's because I prefer the Japanese intros/VA of X3-4 over the american job, except for Mega Man 8.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I really need to pull the trigger on SFZ3 one of these days. Is there any reason to own it over the Dreamcast version?
The only feature I recall being Saturn (and PSP) exclusive was Reverse Dramatic Battle. World Tour mode is different from version to version as well IIRC (I think the Saturn version is close to the PS1 version in this regard). Not sure if there's anything else.

cj_iwakura

Mine:

Dragon Force
Magic Knight Rayearth
Sakura Wars
Shining The Holy Ark
Shining Force III
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Mystaria / Blazing Heroes
Guardian Heroes
Shining Wisdom
NiGHTS Into Dreams

piggychan

The only feature I recall being Saturn (and PSP) exclusive was Reverse Dramatic Battle. World Tour mode is different from version to version as well IIRC (I think the Saturn version is close to the PS1 version in this regard). Not sure if there's anything else.

larger sprites and more animation too. Plus the dramatic battle is awesome. 3 fighters in the same round.

Top 10 looks a bit like this:
In The Hunt
Shining Force III
Saturn Bomberman
Guardian Heroes
Kingdom GrandPrix
Panzer Dragoon II Zwei
Die Hard Arcade/Dynamite Deka
Cyber Troopers Virtual-On
Fighters Megamix
Burning Rangers

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Saturn dudes. Your personal top ten games I need to play?
If money is not an issue...

- Panzer Dragoon Saga
- Shining Force III (trilogy)
- Guardian Heroes
- Legend of Oasis
- NiGHTS Into Dreams
- Panzer Dragoon Zwei
- Panzer Dragoon
- Night Warriors
- Shining the Holy Ark
- Princess Crown

Cc23830

Does anybody know a good page for valuing games from the uk? I have a lovely collection of Pal games and console totalling close to 60 games and a mint jap console with some games, but a huge bill means it's the only thing that I can think of selling other than my car lol. Any help?

Sold listings on eBay should give you a pretty good idea. Make sure to look at proper sold listings instead of lofty unsold buy-it-nows that have been up for ages.

Wereroku

If money is not an issue...

- Panzer Dragoon Saga
- Shining Force III (trilogy)
- Guardian Heroes
- Legend of Oasis
- NiGHTS Into Dreams
- Panzer Dragoon Zwei
- Panzer Dragoon
- Night Warriors
- Shining the Holy Ark
- Princess Crown

When did Shining the Holy Ark get so expensive? I got it for $20 complete I think 2 years ago.

Nintendad

I have been meaning to play Shining Force 3 parts 1/2/3 in English. What's the best way to get them running in English on the Saturn? I guess I could use google or YouTube to find out how, but I'm curious if anyone here did it.

Khaz

I have been meaning to play Shining Force 3 parts 1/2/3 in English. What's the best way to get them running in English on the Saturn? I guess I could use google or YouTube to find out how, but I'm curious if anyone here did it.

I did, but for the first one only. The original translation was made to make it like a standalone game, whereas the Japanese version has clear ties to the other two games. The patch corrects that.

What you need:
- SF3.1 in English, and SF3.2 and 3.3 in Japanese.
- A PC with a CD burner
- Microsoft Windows
- the latest patch from http://sf3trans.shiningforcecentral.com/
- a Saturn able to play CD-R.

You just pop your original disc in your computer, start the patching software, and it will make you a patched iso that you can then burn and play on your modded Saturn.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Shining Force 3
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Radiant Silvergun
Tengai Makyo: The 4th Apocalypse
Langrisser IV
Guardian Heroes
X-Men vs. SF
Dodonpachi
Dragon Force
NiGHTS

D.Lo

Heading to Japan in a couple of days, hoping to find some Saturn bargains!

Might try to get Asuka, Konami MSX collection... And possibly Dracula X if I can find it cheaper than Ebay? And of course ideally I'll find a cheap copy of Zero 3 in a bargain shop somewhere haha.

reson8or

Heading to Japan in a couple of days, hoping to find some Saturn bargains!

Might try to get Asuka, Konami MSX collection... And possibly Dracula X if I can find it cheaper than Ebay? And of course ideally I'll find a cheap copy of Zero 3 in a bargain shop somewhere haha.

Drac-X Only get it if you a) really, really want to play the extra stages or b) to collect it. The PS version is superior in just about every way.

Zero 3 is rare even in Japan, expect to pay a decent to high amount if you do happen to see it.

piggychan

If only this glorious game was in english, sigh... (same for the rest of TM games).

It's a fantastic JRPG with weird and fantastic enemy cast about the devil taking over a fictional USA set in the cowboys and indians period. Only downside is for non japanese speaking the menu system will bog you down especially later on in the mini stock market game.

Also want to add the music is just some of the best in a JRPG and so to is the 2D sprites and backgrounds.

reson8or

I am not going to dispute this but the Saturn version is still a great game even with the extras.

Well yea, SoTN is a great game no matter the platform, its just that given the availability and cost of the "superior" version I only suggest picking up the Saturn version if you MUST have it for the Saturn.

Saturn Symphony is strictly a collector piece.

If you want to play it, I would only recommend it to Saturn owners who don't own a Playstation, PSP, PS3, Xbox 360, or PSVita.

D.Lo

Saturn Symphony is strictly a collector piece.

If you want to play it, I would only recommend it to Saturn owners who don't own a Playstation, PSP, PS3, Xbox 360, or PSVita.
I know I have owned it before. Sold for a huge profit a couple of years ago.

That said, no the PSP version sucks (blurry - emulated PS1 version is better on PSP), 360 version also sucks, never tried Vita but it's the same as PSP I assume. And none of those options except for PS1 output in 240p so are not acceptable to me for that reason alone. PS1 is by far the best.

Saturn version the only real issue is the slowdown and excruciating load times to see the status/map. Maria was fun, and the extra area was a great shortcut. Until I got a japanese PS1 it was also the easiest way to play nocturne without the horrific english voices too. PSP re-translation voices were equally awful as well.

Crisium

My 10 favourite Saturn games, alphabetically. I have a few unique.

Bulk Slash (J, and my god how is this not on anyone else's top 10? Possibly the best actual 3D environment game on Saturn)
Die Hard Arcade
Dragon Force
Guardian Heroes
Magic Knight Rayearth
Mr. Bones
NiGHTS
Panzer Dragoon Zwei
Radiant Silvergun (J)
Shining Force III (mostly J, as others explained)

Bonus, best multiplayer only game:

Death Tank and Death Tank Zwei, hidden bonus games on Powerslave (another excellent use of 3D on the Saturn) and on Duke Nukem 3D. Real time worms-like tank game, uses the multiplayer adapter for up to 6-7 players. It's alright with 2 players but the more the merrier.

baphomet

Finally got my Sega Titan (ST-V) Multi Cart in today. After waiting for a good 3 months since paying it finally showed up. Thing is awesome though. Runs basically all the Titan arcades games outside maybe 3-4, which will hopefully be fixed in the future. Game are selected by a bank of switches that has been mounted on the side of the board, and games load pretty quick. Maybe around 30 seconds or so. Once they load the Segata Sanshiro theme song plays and you reboot the board for the game to start. It's made by Darksoft who has done a bunch of things in the arcade world. His next project is a CPS2 Multi board that will be 100% compatible. Can't wait for that as well. He's actually been talking about working on a Neo Geo cart next which would be awesome.

m8gljjQ.jpg

yzo81VA.jpg

dwIWTIL.jpg

What are the best Saturn games that were not released on any other platform?
I already have my eyes on shining force iii and the panzer dragoon games.
Is there anything else?

Celine

Is there anything else?
What does that mean?
Do you include PC, Arcade or enhanced port or emulation collection on following consoles?

What does that mean?
Do you include PC, Arcade or enhanced port or emulation collection on following consoles?

If it's a game that was released on a popular system like pc\playstation 1-3 etc,then most chances I've already played it if i wanted to(like SOTN,for example).

Therefore I'm asking about saturn only games,since I surely never played those.
Though games that were also released on Dreamcast and Arcade also count,i guess, as I never owned a DC and not interested in arcade games(nor do i have arcades where I live).

Huggers

Is there anything else?

Read back a page or two. I asked for a few peoples top 10 lists and there are plenty of Saturn exclusives among them

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Dragon Force
Fighters Megamix
Saturn Bomberman
Guardian Heroes (360 version is superior but digital only, if that matters)

Top Bottom