• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

...How does this happen? How do you end up with so many empty cases? I don't understand.

Years ago I purchased a retro game lot of snes/ps1 games and the buyer threw in the saturn cases for shits and giggles( don't recall the reason why he didn't have the actual games). I held onto them thinking that one day I've get back into Saturn and well....that day is here. Most of those cases and covers I may just sell off save a few like Bomberman and magic knight rayearth, on the odd but incredibly unlikely chance that I find either of those games without me having to sell off a kidney. But, one never knows, all those US games I posted above I got a month ago for $20 total( including a Saturn with two controllers), seller was cleaning out house and was pretty much giving away stuff.

IrishNinja

I got it for $75 a few months ago but it took me like a year of keeping an eye on it online.

props, man! again, anyone sees it complete for that or less, please feel free to grab it, i will totally paypal you

(empties)

that reminds me, i need to replace the faded label on my Sonic Jam one day, and find a legit Burning Rangers insert too

I will find a Dragon Force manual one day.

good luck m'man! my roommate's looking to replace his scratched disc of the same game

Saturn is now like the 2nd most expensive to do retro collecting on today...at least from what I seen for the rare games and such.

i honestly wouldn't be surprised, it feels that way

I'd say US TG16 is above Saturn as well.

oh yeah, haven't kept up lately but just seeing the shit that happened last year this feels 100% true

vireland

I will find a Dragon Force manual one day.

The worst part is that one E3 when I was away, my partner decided it was a good time to clean the WD warehouse and she threw out TONS of rare brand new overstock stuff like DF manuals, backliners and cart stickers, Exile 2 foil stamped covers, PM, LUNAR, LUNAR 2 packaging extras, etc. I was pissed for months (maybe I still am...?)

Teknoman

The worst part is that one E3 when I was away, my partner decided it was a good time to clean the WD warehouse and she threw out TONS of rare brand new overstock stuff like DF manuals, backliners and cart stickers, Exile 2 foil stamped covers, PM, LUNAR, LUNAR 2 packaging extras, etc. I was pissed for months (maybe I still am...?)

my partner decided it was a good time to clean the WD warehouse and she threw out TONS of rare brand new overstock

threw out TONS of rare brand new overstock

iiYUPSoEwH1LL.gif

It's like everytime you mention what happened to that old stuff you break my heart anew.

Wereroku

Yeah that def would make sense, aren't those Neo-Geo games still going for damn near $200+ a game?

Hehehe look it up at the neo geo forum AES Metal Slug complete going for $1200 and it's a fairly common game. Now there are some AES games that are $15 but it's none of the must have games. The MVS collectors market is probably the closest to SNES with an even higher chance to get a bootleg.

>:C

Bar81

Hehehe look it up at the neo geo forum AES Metal Slug complete going for $1200 and it's a fairly common game. Now there are some AES games that are $15 but it's none of the must have games. The MVS collectors market is probably the closest to SNES with an even higher chance to get a bootleg.

What are you talking about? MS is nowhere near common and only in your wildest dreams could you find one for that delusionally low price.

Anyone get ahold of the Saturn Rhea from the dude who makes the Dreamcast drive replacement? (The SD card one) I can't believe I missed out on orders. Curious if it works well.

RAIDEN1

Sega missed a trick with this console that much is clear, but also with the cartridge port at the back of the console it could have acted like an emulator to play Genesis games! As for all intents and purposes it was the sequel to the Megadrive, forget the 32x.....instead of developing that they could have re-invested the money on that project in making that feature a reality...

It might of changed the fate of the Saturn...

Khaz

Aren't the PS2 ports better? I think 2 also came out on Dreamcast as well.

Sega Rally 2 is reportedly crap.
Virtua Fighter 2 is a port of the Arcade so slightly higher polycount for the models and 3D background. At the cost of a useless native controller.
Virtua Cop series is also on PC with a higher res, but you can't use a light gun, so it kind of negates the whole experience. Saturn is still the only way to play them at home.

Audette

Due to these prices I think I'm going to stop chasing the dragon on Saturn collecting. After I get the last few I want anyways.
All I want are resident evil and the 2 megaman games then I'm out.
Kinda jumped into it prematurely, should have done my research. All I wanted was grandia, but alas it's only in japanese on Saturn...

thomasos

I recently made a couple of additions to the ol' Saturn collection. There are still a decent number I want to pick up, though: Rayman, Mega Man X4, Die Hard Arcade, Saturn Bomberman...the Saturn is such an underrated system.

BuwbY5k.jpg

(Guardian Heroes is signed by Masato Maegawa, Shining Force III by the Takahashi brothers, and NiGHTS by Yuji Naka.)

I recently made a couple of additions to the ol' Saturn collection. There are still a decent number I want to pick up, though: Rayman, Mega Man X4, Die Hard Arcade, Saturn Bomberman...the Saturn is such an underrated system.

BuwbY5k.jpg

(Guardian Heroes is signed by Masato Maegawa, Shining Force III by the Takahashi brothers, and NiGHTS by Yuji Naka.)

Damn! Nice collection man!

This ruined my day, real talk.

alf717

Nice collection. I don't think I want to know how much all of that set you back. I like the shelving as well. Is it custom?

Been on a Megaman / Rockman kick lately so the Saturn has been busy. I'm trying to create complete saves for each game to store on my Action Replay just for kicks. I was always confused with all the alternative bosses in X3 but I finally got down the requirements for each one. I will mark them with a spoiler tag if anyone is interested.
Defeating Bit and Byte (making them explode) will get you an alternative boss in Doppler Stage 1.
Defeating Vile (making him explode) will get you an alternative boss in Doppler Stage 2.
Also with Vile defeated and Zero alive. In Doppler Stage 2 before the mini boss select Zero and defeat the boss. Zero will give you his Z-Saber after the boss fight.

thomasos

Nice collection. I don't think I want to know how much all of that set you back. I like the shelving as well. Is it custom?

The vast majority of these--especially the pricey ones--I bought new back in the day. The Saturn was the first system for which I started to keep my games rather than trade them in.

The shelving is actually just one of those Atlantic media shelves, but it's from 7 or 8 years ago, when they were actually of decent quality. The new Atlantic shelves are much more cheaply made, sadly.

Teknoman

Ran though NiGHTS for the first time in a long time...damn is the soundtrack still as great as ever. Especially the Canyon and Jungle stages.

Wow, that is painful.

BuwbY5k.jpg

Gawd damn! NIIIIIIICCEEE setup man....

Ban Puncher

A friend of mine has decided to get out of the collecting game and focus more on spending time and money on his wife and children.

Fool!

But this results in an extra Japanese Saturn, another set of Twin Sticks and a butt-load of games getting tossed my way. You can never have too many copies of X-Men vs Street Fighter lying around the house.

Wereroku

A friend of mine has decided to get out of the collecting game and focus more on spending time and money on his wife and children.

Fool!

But this results in an extra Japanese Saturn, another set of Twin Sticks and a butt-load of games getting tossed my way. You can never have too many copies of X-Men vs Street Fighter lying around the house.

Let me know if you happen to want to sale one of those copies. I have been meaning to pick it up.

Teknoman

Fool!

If his kids and wife like games, they could get some nice co-op stuff going on a game night.

KC-Slater

Anyone get ahold of the Saturn Rhea from the dude who makes the Dreamcast drive replacement? (The SD card one) I can't believe I missed out on orders. Curious if it works well.

I have one--it works great! Highly recommended if you are just interested in playing some rare titles, and aren't overly concerned with collecting (or intend to collect, preserve your discs!)

sarcoa

BuwbY5k.jpg

Mind if I ask where you got your shelving? Those fit Saturn games REALLY well and aren't super recessed like normal bookshelves. It looks great!

Top Bottom