• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Mzo

It wasn't back in the day when he says he got most of his stuff. Same as I did, around 15 years ago.

I think the most expensive for me at the time was PDS at $50.

alf717

Kind of wish I was interested in Saturn back in my high school days. Collecting for any console now is starting to get rough. My only reason for wanting a Saturn was because of Mega Man 8. My collection just grew from there which I started back in the early 2000's. I'm sure if I was more involved in the console then I would probably have more of the harder to find titles but at the same time I kind of doubt that. Sega wasn't what I was into at the time and with what was coming out in retail I most likely would have found more interesting. The main draw back is when an interesting game is discussed but you can't really participate cause of the rarity and how expensive the game is. Like the month of thread that was going on a while back. I would say 90% of the games played I didn't own. In the end I guess I just don't really need them but it still is fun to read others impressions on them.

The vast majority of these--especially the pricey ones--I bought new back in the day. The Saturn was the first system for which I started to keep my games rather than trade them in.

The shelving is actually just one of those Atlantic media shelves, but it's from 7 or 8 years ago, when they were actually of decent quality. The new Atlantic shelves are much more cheaply made, sadly.

Thanks for the info. I'm in need of some more shelf space so I may look into this brand.

thomasos

Mind if I ask where you got your shelving? Those fit Saturn games REALLY well and aren't super recessed like normal bookshelves. It looks great!

As sixteen-bit mentioned, they're Atlantic media shelves, but the newer ones aren't as nice. The shelves are both thinner and shallower than the ones in my pic. That said, I've yet to find a better solution, so I do have a couple of the newer ones myself.

thomasos

It wasn't back in the day when he says he got most of his stuff. Same as I did, around 15 years ago.

Yeah, the only pricey one I bought after the fact was House of the Dead, and I got a relatively good deal on it.

huxley00

That is really surprising to me. I sold my copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga in 99 or 00 for almost $200.

Akhe

I hooked up my Saturn 2 days ago. I was playing Nights. I love this game.

akhesaturn.jpg

Mzo

First game I paid over $100 for was Radiant Silvergun a few years later, and that seems to have maintained it's value since then.

Some retail video game stores had imported stock of it that hung around for a few years and was eventually clearanced for $20-$30 =[

alf717

Been having an issue with my AR 4 in 1 cart lately. When I copy saves over from the system to the cart the system hangs at the "Saving to cartridge Please wait!" screen. I let it go for a minute, power off the console and my saves are on the cart and I can even move them to a spare Saturn I have. I'm curious if this is common.

IrishNinja

Speaking of PDS,I know i missed the Year of the Saturn playthrough last month but I'm a few hours in and...man, this game is really something.

Environment/music wise so far its the unique high bar the first 2 games set,but action wise,I just recently opened up the ability to shape how my dragoons stats grow, and man is this cool, especially for the era.

I like Panzer Dragoon Saga the best of the trilogy, honestly. Just the fact it's an RPG means I can absorb the bizarre Panzer Dragoon world that much more accessibly (seriously, I really suck at the shmups - not really my genre, tbqh).

Just a shame it's so short and easy. Seriously, first playthrough clocked in at 12 hours. At least there was barely any filler...

piggychan

Speaking of PDS,I know i missed the Year of the Saturn playthrough last month but I'm a few hours in and...man, this game is really something.

Environment/music wise so far its the unique high bar the first 2 games set,but action wise,I just recently opened up the ability to shape how my dragoons stats grow, and man is this cool, especially for the era.

There is some absolutely fantastic music tracks in that game.. I wish they could be accessed without hearing any of the game sound effects interfering with it.

Justinh

Good Lord, do I want a copy of PDSaga...

I really wish there'd be a port to some XBLA or PSN service, but I guess that would be as likely (or less likely) than a Shenmue port to a newer console.

Hopefully Crimson Dragon gets a sequel and it's much better than CD1 (even though I had a great deal of fun with the first).

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I recently made a couple of additions to the ol' Saturn collection. There are still a decent number I want to pick up, though: Rayman, Mega Man X4, Die Hard Arcade, Saturn Bomberman...the Saturn is such an underrated system.

BuwbY5k.jpg

(Guardian Heroes is signed by Masato Maegawa, Shining Force III by the Takahashi brothers, and NiGHTS by Yuji Naka.)

sega rally and vf2 have such distracting cases.

huxley00

I bought my copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga new at Software Etc. the year it came out, so it was just $50 for me, too.

Ahhhh cool, that makes sense. I actually worked at Toys R Us in high school when it came out. It was discounted the first day it was released, 20 bucks and we got 4 copies of it in. I bought 3 myself, life was good...

I really wish there'd be a port to some XBLA or PSN service, but I guess that would be as likely (or less likely) than a Shenmue port to a newer console.

Hopefully Crimson Dragon gets a sequel and it's much better than CD1 (even though I had a great deal of fun with the first).

Supposedly, PDS was up and running on Gametap before the service was closed.
http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=469023

If you just want to play it why don't just buy a copy, play it, then sell it? It's not like you'll lose money. Assuming you have enough to buy it up front.

Seik

Banned
I recently made a couple of additions to the ol' Saturn collection. There are still a decent number I want to pick up, though: Rayman, Mega Man X4, Die Hard Arcade, Saturn Bomberman...the Saturn is such an underrated system.

BuwbY5k.jpg

(Guardian Heroes is signed by Masato Maegawa, Shining Force III by the Takahashi brothers, and NiGHTS by Yuji Naka.)

Huge respect for that collection, nicely done!

...I wish I could still have as much free shelf space as you though. ;_;

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I still need to get a Japanese Saturn sometime so I can play my first Saturn game! I'd get a US one but I really want a white Japanese model.

Khaz

I feel like I'm alone in this, but I think the white Saturn is incredibly ugly. I like the JP gray one a heck of a lot more.

The white model two? Yeah I agree with you, the grey model one with blue buttons is classier.
But to be honest, I'd take a Model 1 in any colour against a model 2.

I actually met a guy at Something Awful, TheRedEye, who worked at GameTap during the era where they had Saturn games. According to him, that's... not quite true.

TheRedEye said:
Shadow Hog said:
Gametap just had a Saturn emulator, but shit, that'd have been enough for me.

Of course, Gametap also announced that they were going to release NiGHTS (Panzer Dragoon Saga was a "we could, if there's interest", although I'm not sure why they didn't bother when they had both the first and Zwei already on the service; NiGHTS was an outright "yeah we're releasing this"), and then proceeded to do sod all before eventually pulling all of their Sega emulators from the service entirely years later. Not sure what happened there.

I almost kind of miss Gametap. At least, back when it had said Sega emulators. Selection wasn't amazing, but it had promise. Nowadays it's looking more like just another Steam clone, and I already have Steam if I want Steam.
That's right, we didn't port anything from source, we had our own Saturn emulator. From what I remember we didn't even start Saga (or Guardian Heroes, which was also licensed).

NiGHTS was a situation where our mostly-absent leadership went ahead and told Sega to announce the game without consulting anyone actually working on GameTap, we saw the announcement at the same time that everybody else did and spent a long time (felt like about three months) scrambling to get it to work, and we never quite got it to 100%, so that was a great waste of much-needed resources.

Hey at least we made some Tomb Raider cartoons no one wanted.
(Emphasis mine, original post here)

KC-Slater

I feel like I'm alone in this, but I think the white Saturn is incredibly ugly. I like the JP gray one a heck of a lot more.

The NA/Euro black version is still the nicest. The others are a novelty, and do look kinda cool, but they also look like Fisher-Price toys. The plastics also age terribly.

Put it this way; if the Japanese colour-schemes came out in North America, and Japan had the black model exclusively, I'd still rather have the black, and not only for elitist reasons.

It's just more aesthetically pleasing.

PAL got the Saturn design right imo; black model 1 looks great, the black strip with the Saturn font on the game covers and the planet logo is way better than the red S thing in Japan.

However, we lost a lot of frames per second here in Europe :-(

Justinh

Damn shame.

If you just want to play it why don't just buy a copy, play it, then sell it? It's not like you'll lose money. Assuming you have enough to buy it up front.
I'll get it eventually. It's just not a high priority right now, and when I do get it I doubt I'll be selling it ever.

I never thought the white one was ugly, but was really happy when I got mine and the seller incorrectly listed the item as white and a grey one came in the post.

Khaz

I'll get it eventually. It's just not a high priority right now, and when I do get it I doubt I'll be selling it ever.

If you're more interested in the game than in the collector's object, you still have the possibility to modchip your console and burn discs. With DVD-style cases and a nice printed cover, it can do wonders on your shelf.

So, i just learned about Death Crimson over the weekend at Magfest. I can't believe something that incredible actually exists...

As a light gun junkie, i'm really tempted to import, but i heard its pricey due to its legacy.

The only downside is the cardboard covers, what where they thinking.. The plastic covers are the bomb though.

Yeah totally agree. Anything cardboard just gets worn down after years, strange Sega went for them after the fantastic plastic ones on MS and MD games.

UMGAWA

Sigh. Double that or more in Australia.

Sad but true, anything that is deemed rare gets an up marketed ebay price..

Yeah totally agree. Anything cardboard just gets worn down after years, strange Sega went for them after the fantastic plastic ones on MS and MD games.

I would like to know the cost of production for the cases versus a plastic case with a simple gloss paper insert.. It could explain the haemorrhaging of money with the company.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I'm trying to put an order in with japsai aka arcade gear but i'm completely blanking on what i want.

Can someone remind me why the jp version of daytona CE is preferred to the NA release?

and, any spur the moment recommendations? i need inspiration.

Top Bottom