• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Damn, $10, to find one here in Australia you would have to buy a console bundle to get your hands on one.

Insanely, i saw one today at this great retro shop (the ONLY retro shop lol) Player1. Didn't note his price though.

And as an aside, i've been trying to sell mine for $20... since i bought a Japanese version which is with my inlaws in Japan, so that i didn't have to take my PAL version one day, when i eventually move there!

UMGAWA

And as an aside, i've been trying to sell mine for $20... since i bought a Japanese version which is with my inlaws in Japan, so that i didn't have to take my PAL version one day, when i eventually move there!

Hi there..

Jokes aside I'd be interested if you still have this available?

EDIT, just noticed the location of "Player1", I'm on the east coast if your willing to post?

Khaz

wat, more info plz.

http://www.verve-fanworks.com/SMF/index.php#4
Their forum is such a mess though, good luck finding information on the state of affairs. I think they are in final testing, all the text has been injected and they are now hunting for spelling mistakes.

Also I wish they used a variable-width font.
index.php

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I feel pretty bad for repeatedly dropping off of that project. I'm wondering how the final script turned out, though. Last I checked it was a pretty rigid translation through and through.

StevieWhite

Guys, has anybody else run into problems playing Shadows over Mystara with an older PAR? It doesn't look like it's recognizing it as a 4MB RAM cart. Not having issues with XvSF though.

cj_iwakura

I feel pretty bad for repeatedly dropping off of that project. I'm wondering how the final script turned out, though. Last I checked it was a pretty rigid translation through and through.

It's one of those projects that's a milestone in and of itself. I wouldn't have minded being an editor on the project, but I think Faust had it covered.

Guys, has anybody else run into problems playing Shadows over Mystara with an older PAR? It doesn't look like it's recognizing it as a 4MB RAM cart. Not having issues with XvSF though.

Later Capcom Saturn ports that use the RAM expansion have issues with the older models of the PAR. I've heard that Vampire Savior and Marvel Superheroes Vs. Street Fighter are two of the known problem games.

Seik

Banned
The prices on this game have gotten nuts and it breaks my heart. I regret not buying it for $50 a bunch of times.

Woah, it really went up quickly, I bought it not even a year ago for 100$. It's sad because it really is one of the best arcade games on the system, imo. :(

i lucked out with Wisdom & Ark (about $20-30 each i wanna say), no idea where they're at now but can't be as bad as say WD RPG territory i imagine.
IIRC they're both $60-100 range now.

Shining the Holy Ark might be worth it, if you don't mind abysmal framerates (being a dungeon-crawler, it doesn't exactly need split-second reaction times, so in my mind: yes, totally passable). I've heard mixed things about Shining Wisdom, though, and haven't really gone looking too deeply at it; music's nice, at least.

Sixfortyfive

On the topic of obscure-ass games with the potential to spike in the near future, I wonder about Elan Doree. YJA prices haven't crept up much (2500-3000 yen range at the moment), but it seems that no one in the west is selling it for cheap.

I should actually unbox that game and see if it's any better than straight kusoge status. Bought it on impulse a few months ago entirely on the premise alone, but put it away with some other stuff when I moved and haven't really given it a shot yet.

Sixfortyfive

Quick question about this Action Replay cart everyone talks about. Can it bypass region locking? There are quite a few JP Saturn games I'd like to take a look at.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Action-Repl...166?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ed31f5756
Yes. More details:
http://segaretro.org/Action_Replay_Plus

General advice: Give your cartridge slot and the PAR a good cleaning before using it, insert the cartridge, and then never remove it unless you have to. The Saturn's cartridge slot is notoriously flaky.

Mercutio

Yes. More details:
http://segaretro.org/Action_Replay_Plus

General advice: Give your cartridge slot and the PAR a good cleaning before using it, insert the cartridge, and then never remove it unless you have to. The Saturn's cartridge slot is notoriously flaky.

I don't know how they messed up the cart slot so bad. God I hate that thing. I switch from a Capcom 4MB to a backup cart when I want to save larger games, and it's such a pain in the neck to reseat the cart until I get a good connection.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
it's so dumb. i held out when it was around that price, and saw it go for above triple that on ebay in less than a half year later. worked out a deal on an EU forum for a $40 copy and have loved it since; if others can't/don't wanna search as high for one, fortunately there's always the incredible (and cheap) Taito Legends 2.

and thank god for that option or i couldn't recommend it as easily. i legit hate seeing great cult games like that skyrocket in price & prevent more people from checking them out.

Woah, it really went up quickly, I bought it not even a year ago for 100$. It's sad because it really is one of the best arcade games on the system, imo. :(
The prices on Batsugun did the same thing, but not to quite the same extent. I caved on that one for $130 this weekend. I've wanted EAR for like 15 years, so this is pretty disappointing haha.

EAR is so damn good. The price hike is unfortunate. Pick it up on Taito Legends 2 on PS2 and force 240p over homebrew if you want to play it.

StevieWhite

On the topic of obscure-ass games with the potential to spike in the near future, I wonder about Elan Doree. YJA prices haven't crept up much (2500-3000 yen range at the moment), but it seems that no one in the west is selling it for cheap.

I should actually unbox that game and see if it's any better than straight kusoge status. Bought it on impulse a few months ago entirely on the premise alone, but put it away with some other stuff when I moved and haven't really given it a shot yet.

Ewwww.. It always amazes me when kusoge goes super expensive <looks at Death Crimson>

Thanks guys... I have a newer PAR, as well - I'll try it tonight (if I can get the cart slot to behave, ha).

The date in that guide is only for the original PAR, some of the more recently made ones, like the ones by HKEMS are clones that uses the old PCB for some reason.

entremet

- First & foremost, you're going to want an Action Replay 4-in-1. Gives you access to the insanely good Japanese Saturn library (and in addition to that, the JP versions of quite a few Saturn games are cheaper than their US counterparts), works a a decent save backup tool (You can't save directly to the cart, but you can move saves back & forth from the Saturn to the cart and vice versa), and functions as a 4MB Ram cart for the games that use it. Speaking of which:

X-Men Vs. Street Fighter and/or Marvel Super Heroes Vs. Street Fighter - not exactly arcade perfect, but about as close as possible. Both are great, and aren't available in a close to aracde perfect state anywhere else short of owning the actual boards.

Panzer Dragoon II Zwei - IMO, the best of the rail shooting Panzer Dragoon games (and that's including Orta). The leveling system that evolves your Dragon is great, and the Pandora's Box feature gives it a good chunk of replay value. One of the better looking and performing 3D Saturn games out there, too.

Virtua Fighter 2/Fighting Vipers/Fighters Megamix - Any one of the three works, though I'd go for Fighters Megamix simply because the other two games have better ports elsewhere. That being said, the Saturn ports of VF2 and FV are pretty damned great in their own right. Hell, get VF2 anyway. It's probably the cheapest, high quality Saturn game out there. I've had burgers more expensive than VF2.

Daytona USA: Circuit Edition - This is the Japanese re-release of Daytona USA: Championship Circuit Edition, with a few additional tweaks of it's own. The steering is (kinda) made more in line with the arcade game, and the original OST is available instead of the remixed tracks in the US release. Definitely the best Saturn release of the game.

NiGHTS/Christmas NiGHTS - Nights is fun and releatively affordable, though you probably want to get the 3D controller for it. Christmas NiGHTS is more or less a demo disc, but it's the best demo ever. Not eve bullshitting there. The version of it in the JP PS2 release and the HD port are stripped down versions of the original Saturn version. (Notably, the ability to unlock Sonic as a playable character; It's kinda janky, being his first playable 3D outing, but damn if it isn't a neat novelty.)

Those the 4 and 1 support games 1,2, and 3 MB RAM games?

Those the 4 and 1 support games 1,2, and 3 MB RAM games?

As far as I know, yes.

The only game that I know of (There may be more) that causes conflict with it is Marvel Super Heroes, though the RAM cart is optional in that case, not required to play the game. Apparently, using the 4-in-1 adds the extra frames of animation that it's supposed to, but also brings in a ton of slowdown with it. Allegedly, using an official Sega 1MB RAM cart as opposed to a 4MB or the 4-in-1 adds the extra frames without the slowdown, but I haven't been able to get my hands on a 1MB cart to check for certain.

IrishNinja

So glad for that. Could even get sealed new copies for around $20 when I got it.

sounds about right, rarely do those quality compilations jump on me, thankfully

IIRC they're both $60-100 range now.

Shining the Holy Ark might be worth it, if you don't mind abysmal framerates (being a dungeon-crawler, it doesn't exactly need split-second reaction times, so in my mind: yes, totally passable). I've heard mixed things about Shining Wisdom, though, and haven't really gone looking too deeply at it; music's nice, at least.

damn. my short time with Wisdom, it felt like...yeah, you're in the Shining world but it's more a Ys clone, i wanna say? ill get back to it

Yeah. It's a region bypass, save backup tool, RAM expansion and Action Replay all in one device, hence the 4-in-1 nickname.

easily one of the most useful saturn purchases, so good
though following 645's advice: since my system's region modded & i don't often play the 4/whatever MB games, i leave the official memory card thing in there more often because i like how certain games use it on the fly better

The prices on Batsugun did the same thing, but not to quite the same extent. I caved on that one for $130 this weekend. I've wanted EAR for like 15 years, so this is pretty disappointing haha.

damn...since i got in the scene, Batsugun was always pricey, maybe i just missed its cheaper window?

EAR is so damn good. The price hike is unfortunate. Pick it up on Taito Legends 2 on PS2 and force 240p over homebrew if you want to play it.

i know ive asked you this but i really gotta learn how to do that 240p force - it's just patching the ISO yeah? that'd be great for my HDD loader setup

KC-Slater

As far as I know, yes.

The only game that I know of (There may be more) that causes conflict with it is Marvel Super Heroes, though the RAM cart is optional in that case, not required to play the game. Apparently, using the 4-in-1 adds the extra frames of animation that it's supposed to, but also brings in a ton of slowdown with it. Allegedly, using an official Sega 1MB RAM cart as opposed to a 4MB or the 4-in-1 adds the extra frames without the slowdown, but I haven't been able to get my hands on a 1MB cart to check for certain.

Using a 4MB RAM Cart in Marvel Super Heroes does more harm than good, unfortunately. It adds slowdown, like whoa. It adds animation, but the trade-off isn't worth it IMO. No idea if this is the case with the official 1MB cart (for which it was designed with in mind.)

Seik

Banned

I had...opportunities that I didn't seize with Batsugun. :(

I regret not buying it so much now.

I find it pretty funny that both the US versions of Megaman X4 and especially Megaman 8 have spiked in price as fast as they did.

I got a complete copy of X4 in 2013 for about $40 (from VideogamesNY, no less!), which was about $10 or so less than the eBay going price at the time. Two years later and auctions for it are ending at $125-130 for complete copies. And Megaman 8 (Which I still don't have) is in the $170-200 range now. Ridiculous.

Edit: Even the JP version's creeping up in price. I know what I'm doing with my piddly ass state tax return.

IrishNinja

much love to 645 for a deal on X4 a while back, yeah that whole franchise got dum

I got Mega Man 8 CIB for $25 in 2006. That it's worth 8x that price now is insanity.

Mzo references this spike a lot, cause it's so hilarious. if you remember the reviews at the time, some publications kinda shat all over it, saying it hadnt evolved enough for the 3D era etc...voice acting was a mess too, and pretty much no one gave a fuck about the saturn having extra content either.

not knocking it, mind you, but the $200 or so territory it's in these days is just...i mean what the fuck, man

Is the Saturn Steering Wheel accessory worth it? I think the only game that really works for it is Daytona USA. I found it for $10 at a local store but didn't want it just taking up space if it's not good.

07_1_b.jpg

Now buy Hang-On GP and Virtua Racing (Saturn), because those two games require the Arcade Racer wheel for analog control, and control pretty terribly with a d-pad! If you've ever played either game before with the dpad, you'll notice a huge difference with the wheel... and yeah, it's good for other racing games too, of course; most racing games on the system support it, and it works pretty well. I like it more than my PS1 Mad Catz wheel for sure.

I got Mega Man 8 CIB for $25 in 2006. That it's worth 8x that price now is insanity.
I paid $50 for a complete copy locally, like, a year ago, two years at most. The disc has issues, but worked well enough that I was able to play through and complete the game, so for that price I wasn't going to complain! It was worth more than that then, but has continued to skyrocket in price since, for whatever reason. A lot of Mega Man games go for crazy prices now. (You'd think that Capcom might realize people still care about this franchise, or something... but no.)

Fedemgsuy

Hey guys, im trying to get a pal copy of Deep Fear, (Ebay seems to be devoid of any) is there some kind of online store with worldwide shipping that carries it?

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
damn...since i got in the scene, Batsugun was always pricey, maybe i just missed its cheaper window?
Oh it was still pricey ($80-90ish), but that three figure hurdle is a big one! It seems like just about everything else on my want list is crazy.

Khaz

Now buy Hang-On GP and Virtua Racing (Saturn), because those two games require the Arcade Racer wheel for analog control, and control pretty terribly with a d-pad! If you've ever played either game before with the dpad, you'll notice a huge difference with the wheel... and yeah, it's good for other racing games too, of course; most racing games on the system support it, and it works pretty well. I like it more than my PS1 Mad Catz wheel for sure.

I'm so used to use a gamepad in racing games, when I use the Arcade Racer I just can't go straight any more :(

UMGAWA

Hey guys, im trying to get a pal copy of Deep Fear, (Ebay seems to be devoid of any) is there some kind of online store with worldwide shipping that carries it?

There is one copy if you search on the .au or .uk ebay sites but it's going price is $330AU buy it now.

Unless for a collection just pick up the Japanese copy, it's dubbed in english. Except for some in game items/letters and so on.

RobRSG

I've just bought a tripple modded brazilian skeleton Saturn (Region modded/NTSC/Modchip) from a friend of mine and I have a few questions for the old-timers here:

-What are the best shmup's on the console? I know about Radiant Silvergun and Layer Section.
-Is it worth buying the 1MB or 4MB expansions if I have a PS2? I mean, nearly every game I'm interested is available on PS2 and/or PS1 in some sort of form.
-Are the Shining Force III Scenarios 2 and 3 translations functional?

Celine

No Saturn version of Daytona USA is a "must-own."

I originally bought the system solely for Daytona USA as soon as I had the money for it.

There are better options for that game in 2015.

Saturn VF2 is considerably more impressive. I'd actually even be hard-pressed to say that the PS2 version is "better."
Well yeah, there is better option now for Daytona.
It's still among the best racing game on the system with Sega Rally.
There aren't many really worthy racers on Saturn IMO (others quite good are Wipeout XL, Virtua Racing, Need for Speed)

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I've just bought a tripple modded brazilian skeleton Saturn (Region modded/NTSC/Modchip) from a friend of mine and I have a few questions for the old-timers here:

-What are the best shmup's on the console? I know about Radiant Silvergun and Layer Section.
-Is it worth buying the 1MB or 4MB expansions if I have a PS2? I mean, nearly every game I'm interested is available on PS2 and/or PS1 in some sort of form.
-Are the Shining Force III Scenarios 2 and 3 translations functional?
layer section and darius gaiden are relatively inexpensive and they are terrific
don't bother shelling out for RSG - it's $10 on xbla

Top Bottom