• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Wereroku

I know, it's in my backlog!
So difficult to find info on these two, they share similar confusing titles and most reviews conflates the two into one with info from both etc. Quite annoying.

It's easier to look them up by the original japanese name. The saturn version is the sequel but they don't really have a lot in common.

UMGAWA

Mansion of hidden souls is solid.

Really, it is!

I'm not overly sold on it thus far, had a quick run through it last night.

I'm jealous of your Euro copy of Three dirty dwarves. How much did you pay for it?

$20AUD it's a Sega Ozisoft copy, so basically a Euro copy with a terrible ozisoft sticker slapped on it. Case is in bad shape, texta marks, cover un-glued and slightly torn obviously by someone trying to remove a sticker. Manual and most importantly the CD are in good nick.

I wasn't even aware Whizz for the Saturn came out anywhere other than Japan. I know the SNES version came out in the US, at least.

I wasn't even aware of the Euro version untill I saw it, so snapped it up.

This arrived in the post yesterday!

CB_wWBxUsAEWq3u.jpg:large

Khaz

I'm always confused by the commercial n-in-1 denominations. Technically it should do:
- ST-key (region-lock bypass)
- backup memory cartridge
- 1M RAM cartridge
- 4M RAM cartridge
- Action replay cheat cartridge

Each function originally came as its own independent cartridge, so it would be a 5-in-1 cartridge.
But this one is labelled as 3-in-1 only? I guess the merged the two RAM cartridges, and? No more ST-key/region bypass?

I'm always confused by the commercial n-in-1 denominations. Technically it should do:
- ST-key (region-lock bypass)
- backup memory cartridge
- 1M RAM cartridge
- 4M RAM cartridge
- Action replay cheat cartridge

Each function originally came as its own independent cartridge, so it would be a 5-in-1 cartridge.
But this one is labelled as 3-in-1 only? I guess the merged the two RAM cartridges, and? No more ST-key/region bypass?

Guess region bypass counts as a function of the Action Replay? I have an Action Replay that does region bypass + cheats. It also has backup memory though, so who knows...

Coda

I'm torn between getting either Battle Garegga or Batsugun as my next Saturn purchase. It's hard for me to decide which one I want. I wish there were more visually pretty shmups on the Saturn. Why there was no ESP Ra.De and Armed Police Batrider ports is besides me.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I'm torn between getting either Battle Garegga or Batsugun as my next Saturn purchase. It's hard for me to decide which one I want. I wish there were more visually pretty shmups on the Saturn. Why there was no ESP Ra.De and Armed Police Batrider ports is besides me.

If you're looking for pretty get Garegga cause Batsugun ain't it.

Batsugun is probably my second favorite vert shmup on the system though

Garegga is fire, homie. 240p showpiece.

But if you're looking for more colorful games, I think stuff like Gunbird, Sexy Parodius, Twinkle Star Sprites, and the Cotton games fit the bill.

Coda

Word, yeah Garegga looks like fire. Even though it's not a shump I think Princess Crown is one of the coolest/most colorful looking games on the system. I started playing it but only got through the beginning sections. Can't wait to play it more.

Khaz

Understood! I may look into that after a while. Anyways, a quick update, my Action Replay worked fine as I got a Japanese game in the post today!

The condition of the game was incredibly mint! And it worked fine!

I'm jelly, mine was sunfaded. But I bought it years ago when I was cheap.

I think I like original Dead or Alive better than any of the follow-ups. Enjoy it! And make sure to pop the CD in a PC, there are some surprises for you in a folder ;)

Jockel

Battle Garegga is the better game for sure.
However, Batsugun is way more manageable to actually clear. I consider myself a sub-par STG player and I cleared Batsugun easily. With Garegga, I have my doubts that I could ever clear it.

yeah, indeed, considering it's a cardbox
congrats and welcome to team #playjpn :)

Thanks, I'm looking into some other imports too!

That DOA package looks gorgeous.

Every JPN game I've every received is EPICALLY mint regardless of popularity of the title.. Something I can't say in regards to PAL copies.

Indeed, they really take care of their stuff. Much respect! I'll be returning the favour and keeping this mint myself!

I'm jelly, mine was sunfaded. But I bought it years ago when I was cheap.

I think I like original Dead or Alive better than any of the follow-ups. Enjoy it! And make sure to pop the CD in a PC, there are some surprises for you in a folder ;)

I got to play it a bit yesterday, looked nice. I used to play the original a lot on the PS1, never tried the game on Saturn. It's actually higher resolution on the Saturn and it looks very nice for it. I'm guessing the CD surprise is the same as the PS1 had?!

Khaz

I would love to get Nanatsu kaze no shima monogatari but I don't understand Japanese at all. Contemplating spending 50€ for a game I will never play makes me feel terrible.

I would love to get Nanatsu kaze no shima monogatari but I don't understand Japanese at all. Contemplating spending 50€ for a game I will never play makes me feel terrible.

yeah, it was some times I was looking for it, I found it around January in Akihabara but it was a little "expensive" for my small budget, but lately I started saving some money from games I sell.
Last monday I went to check 4 different Book-Offs (I walked for almost 8km, lol) but I didn't find anything interesting since I visited the last shop : I found Nanatsu and Space Harrier, both with the spine card, in good conditions... I didn't think twice about what to do :D

You're right about your feeling, save that 50 euros bill for something without a lot of text (and you know that you have plenty of choices) ;)

piggychan

wow it cost that much now ?

I managed to play through it using a guide but unfortunately the guide remains unfinished so I got stuck somewhere and have been so for some years.

IrishNinja

hit-japan's Shining Force III scenarios 1-3 came in, woo hoo! man, that dude knows how to package games for shipping.

still wish stuff like konami antiques, capcom generations and maybe sillhouette mirage were like a dollar though, would love to have grabbed those too

Been selling some old PC games and other gaming items, to help fund my Saturn collection that I have always wanted. So far I have only put about $200 out of pocket to get this, the rest was from trades or just selling old stuff. So far I'm happy with what I have and there really is only a handful NA releases left that I want before I move over to importing. Magic Knight Rayearth is on my list but that game is pretty crazy expansive. Not sure how I'll get it, but I'll figure it out.

sniperpon

I just received my copy! Time to get dumpin'

How is Dragon Force II? And there is some sort of English-translated repro I can order?

I played Dragon Force for the first time in my life in 2009, and it immediately became one of my favorite games of all time (number 5 spot on my top 20 list more specifically). I'd love to have a fan-localized copy of the second game.

Kinda random but I think Deep Fear is criminally underrated.
I was pretty blown away by how well it held up to the RE games at the time.

Kinda random but I think Deep Fear is criminally underrated.
I was pretty blown away by how well it held up to the RE games at the time.
I think it's more criminally overpriced on ebay, would love to check it out but not at the asking prices for it. Guessing the japanese version will be tricky if I don't understand anything of the language?!

cj_iwakura

I think it's more criminally overpriced on ebay, would love to check it out but not at the asking prices for it. Guessing the japanese version will be tricky if I don't understand anything of the language?!

Not really. It has English VA, and it's not too difficult to figure out where you have to go next.

UMGAWA

Not really. It has English VA, and it's not too difficult to figure out where you have to go next.

Criminally priced indeed, especially the PAL version.

Cj_iwakura is correct, super easy to play the Japanese copy. Only a few ingame items that are in katakana/hirigana like letters and such.

Khaz

How is Dragon Force II? And there is some sort of English-translated repro I can order?

If you think of repros that would run on unmodified Saturn, it will never happen. The patch is fairly recent too, so I don't think anyone has tried to make a nice package out of it.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I bought a brand new and sealed copy of Magic Knight Rayearth on eBay for like $10 many years ago, and still never opened it. I thought about busting out the old Saturn and playing it one of these days.

I got a new in box 3d controller yesterday for $25.

I was using it last night and it worked fine for about an hour but during NBA jam it started randomly pausing rapidly.

I know there's a breakaway clip to the cord, and I tried inserting and removing that. It worked for a while but it seemed like I would have the same problem again but intermittently.

Should I take it back to the seller? Is this a problem anyone else has had?

Top Bottom