• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

pass on VF and get VF2 instead.
I think everyone should own galactic attack and darius gaiden.

I enjoy the janky port of vf and Daytona from launch. I owned them at the time so they have a sort of charm to me.

I forgot about Darius, I had that one back then too. Thanks

This thread made me randomly check out eBay prices for some Saturn stuff. Holy hell. House of the Dead is like $200-150 now. Sega Ages is coming above $100? I feel like the prices have jumped lately, haha. Tempting to sell.

Wish I still had my Sega Sonic Toys R Us Sega Saturn. Damn, must be worth a pretty penny now.

No, Saturn cases tend to have these little notches on the inside, as part of the plastic tray the discs normally go into. The indents in the sleeves are aligned with the notches in the case.

So the only other options for a replacement Saga case is to find one for Enemy Zero(?) or just get a plain ol 4 disc DVD case and make cover art? I wonder if there was a way to mod a normal Saturn case for 4 discs?

like so

jbrelheU9j07DX.JPG

JLynn

Stories about finding Saturn games in bargain bins piss me off. My personal experience was that a Music store in the mall I went to in the late 90's had Saturn games, and me being a dumb kid, I thought they were sega CD games with different labels(Pre-internet in my household). They were also 20-30 dollars on average so I passed them up. The worst part is I'm pretty sure Panzer Dragoon Saga was sitting on the shelf there.

I know for certain the Waldensoftware I shopped to at the time only had copies of PDS. HOTD, and BR available to those who preordered it and none extra. I was told by the manager that Sega printed enough of those three to fulfill preorders. They never had any extra shipments of the three after the first printing.

What I DO regret is not getting he import copies of RS, XvsSF, Deep Fear, and those other Shooters WS and EB were selling. I did get the 3D controllers for $5 a pop though.

I almost bought radiant silvergun for $40 at eb games back when they sold imports.

I got metal gear solid instead. Probably a game and series I loved more in the end, but yeah, Saturn games were cheap for a while.

IrishNinja

Pretty sure that's the JP version of PD1 you're thinking of.

Shit is rad though, yeah.

for real? coulda sworn it was said on here a while back PAL did too...damn

fuck holding out for a fair price on Shining Force 3, just hit up hit-japan to see if i can get each JP scenario for $15-20 each and be done with it, let's see if it pans out. it'd be neat to just have the english burns in those cases & have the option halfway legit, i figure - and that pretty much takes out my A list retro wants so i got no excuse to spend again for a while

fuck i wonder if he's got Silhouette Mirage now

UMGAWA

Later games had plastic boxes.

And they are the best, except for the terrible VHS sized EA boxes, I despise them.

Did not know that - only ever seen those horribly worn cardboard ones. Too bad they didn't do that from the start.

Yep Sega should of, it's only a small % of games though, majority is the cardboard style cases.

man I should really replay PDS again at some point.

You should, enjoying my play through so far.

IrishNinja

...well, shit
looks like hit-japan took my offers on SF III scenarios 2 & 3, grabbing 1 & making an offer on Mirage just to bundle shipping & calling it a night, wish me luck! i gotta say, this is the way to go for me - i imported Saturn Bomberman & burned a copy of the US one to toss in there in case i ever wanted to see the extra stages/story (haha) and such. if i didn't already have the WD JRPG's i'd do the same, think i'm done paying $100+ for games even when these bills are paid off.

really gonna have to power through SF II and possibly CD now, no excuse not to see the proper series through...Holy Ark sometime too!

Getting a HP Stream 7 delivered this week. I was wondering. I am a total noob with emulation.

What one's for the Sega Saturn are worth trying and do anyone have a handy guide to what to do with the roms etc? Have a Saturn but would love to play some games like Keios flying squadron which are so hard to find.

Khaz

SSF has the best emulation on Windows. It's still flawed though, Saturn emulation isn't quite there yet. You need a separate software to mount CD images, or play with originals or burnt images in your drive.

Keio isn't hard to find, there are plenty of them on eBay all the time. It's bloody expensive now for some reason, even the Japanese edition that was really cheap just a few years ago. If you are goind into emulation to play expensive games, I would suggest you to have your console modded instead: it's really easy to do with a single soldeing point, and allows you to play the games the way they are meant to be played.

So I just got my Sega saturn. It's a japanese model so I am wondering if I can use any RGB scart cable for this? or is there a specific one that works for the Japanese models?

So I just got my Sega saturn. It's a japanese model so I am wondering if I can use any RGB scart cable for this? or is there a specific one that works for the Japanese models?

Find a SCART cable designed specifically for NTSC (NA or JP) Saturns. I believe the pinout is different on the AV Multi-out for the PAL Saturn.

found Hexen CiB for $8 at the comic shop, woohoo
Hope you have a backup cartridge

Not an AR4-in-1, an actual, save-directly-to-cart backup cartridge

I mean, I think you can save at certain points in Hexen without one, but otherwise the saves are too damn large for the internal battery backup

Top Bottom