• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Teknoman

I got a new in box 3d controller yesterday for $25.

I was using it last night and it worked fine for about an hour but during NBA jam it started randomly pausing rapidly.

I know there's a breakaway clip to the cord, and I tried inserting and removing that. It worked for a while but it seemed like I would have the same problem again but intermittently.

Should I take it back to the seller? Is this a problem anyone else has had?

Try turning it off analog mode? Dunno if that would help, but I remember reading some tames act odd if you leave it on.

I've been enjoying Manx TT Superbike a lot with the analog controller.

It feels very smooth and has a good sense of weaving through corners.

It's crazy how there's only two tracks. Racing games used to be so thin on content. It has other modes and it's challenging so im not complaining, it's just SO different than what is expected today.

No one could make a really smooth, well designed, perfectly controlling arcade racing game today and try to sell it with TWO tracks to race.

I bought a brand new and sealed copy of Magic Knight Rayearth on eBay for like $10 many years ago, and still never opened it. I thought about busting out the old Saturn and playing it one of these days.
Honestly, if it's still sealed, you could probably flip the thing on eBay and buy an already-opened one and still actually come out of it with a net profit.

Coda

Got Batsugun in the mail yesterday. Plays great.

Kinda bummed Street Fighter Zero 3 is so much money on the Saturn. I always played it on the Dreamcast but I hear the Saturn version is da bess.

Mercutio

Kinda bummed Street Fighter Zero 3 is so much money on the Saturn. I always played it on the Dreamcast but I hear the Saturn version is da bess.

I think it actually came out later on the Saturn than it did on the Dreamcast. The big problem with the Dreamcast and 2D fighters is that Capcom drew the sprites smaller than original size to save on RAM, and scaled them up. They just don't look as good.

JLynn

Let me state for the record that I feel the Dreamcast version is awesome as hell. All who owns it should be proud.

But it has faults that aren't in the Saturn version. Miniscule faults mind you, but faults nonetheless.

Mercutio

Let me state for the record that I feel the Dreamcast version is awesome as hell. All who owns it should be proud.

But it has faults that aren't in the Saturn version. Miniscule faults mind you, but faults nonetheless.

Oh yeah, nearly any version of that game is still the best time around. I played the shit out of it on PS1 with buddies in high school and love it dearly, despite the deficiencies I now know exist.

Finally got around to finishing Panzer Dragoon Saga. Easily one of the best games I've played in a long time. While it's not the most complex RPG, it felt like an adventure game with light RPG elements. 1,2 and Saga need to be remade from the ground in HD and sold as a trilogy. Not going to happen but I can hope.

CL deal has a dude offering Capcom Generations 1, Pocket Fighter & Fire Pro Wrestling for $40 total...sounds pretty good

Those are all amazing games. Both Fire Pro games on Saturn can usually can be found for pretty cheap though. Make sure they are complete with spine card, and 4MB ram cart for Pocket Fighter if you care about those things.

Coda

At the going rate for Saturn Zero 3 just buy the CPS2 board tbh

True if I had a supergun or way to play arcade PCBs. I always want to get into boards then I realize how expensive it'll be to get a proper setup then buy expensive boards on top of that.

IrishNinja

Those are all amazing games. Both Fire Pro games on Saturn can usually can be found for pretty cheap though. Make sure they are complete with spine card, and 4MB ram cart for Pocket Fighter if you care about those things.

The RAM cart is optional for Pocket Fighter, pretty sure it didn't come packed in.

yeah, im good for the RAM cart either way, and spine cards don't do much for me, so...sold!

Finally got around to finishing Panzer Dragoon Saga. Easily one of the best games I've played in a long time. While it's not the most complex RPG, it felt like an adventure game with light RPG elements. 1,2 and Saga need to be remade from the ground in HD and sold as a trilogy. Not going to happen but I can hope.

yeah, recently finished saga as well & totally feel the same, beautiful series

IrishNinja

@#$% so dude seemed straight, but didn't have Capcom Generations 1 when i got there - offered to let me pick 2 other games for the same price, and after sifting through some H ones, i went with a Fist of the North Star one and an Ultraman game that came with a RAM cart of some kind...still got Pocket Fighter & Fire Pro Wrestling S, gotta try the other 2 out to see if they're any good later

Just got Dynamite Deka in the post the other day from Tokyo with love!

CCx-7cTUsAAjxsF.jpg:large

CCx-8yZVIAA2-9f.jpg:large

CCx-9yAUsAAasuQ.jpg:large

My extremely interesting tweet about it: Twitter

I hope I'm not breaking any rules here (mods please let me know if I am), but I thought some of you guys might want a heads up. I am selling off all my PS1/DC/Saturn stuff in the B/S/T thread.

TriAceJP

I bought a brand new and sealed copy of Magic Knight Rayearth on eBay for like $10 many years ago, and still never opened it. I thought about busting out the old Saturn and playing it one of these days.

I highly recommend selling it then buying another copy that is opened.

Laws00

A new action replay is being made that functions as an actual memory card, not just a save bank?

i dont know if you understood what i said. The pseudo saturn project alows for cd-r burned saturn games regardless of region. with that EMS action replay (3-1) when "flashed" will recognize the 1-4 MB ram but will get rid of the codes function, and the function to act as a memory card as well

The engineers at work have made a break through for the memory card storage part that was lost when they first developed the program. And going to re-add it back

When it finally comes out I think I may flash my action replay or maybe wait till it gets the code function and a better nicer UI (i think thats what its called)

What's the "Warp presents an interactive movie"?

Look like a promo for Enemy Zero to me.

I will check it out, been a bit busy lately, but I'll get around to it soon.

You can either create a account there then upload the images yourself, or you can post them here and I'll upload them. I work on that wiki from time to time.

Looks like I could create an account myself, I'll take a few good quality shots of the box and see if I can upload them myself and if not I'll PM you!

Khaz

Best QTE in all of gaming. I love the look back at the end.

Yep. It's not "press A for Awesome (or fail)" its "press the punch button so that your character can give a (scripted) punch". If you press the kick button instead, you will get a kick missing its target, jump will makes you jump over a non-existent hurdle, and pressing nothing will just have you run through it and get beaten up. And the punch, kick and jump actions are randomised so you can get any of these three QTE between levels.

The only correct use of QTEs I've ever saw.

Here was the advertisement inside Dynamite Deka:

dsc_0064i0yie.jpg

dsc_00623ubib.jpg

dsc_0063n6xvh.jpg

Oh, and inside my Japanese Deep Fear, this ad followed along, it even has a Dreamcast teaser on the back!

dsc_0076jyqvp.jpg

dsc_0073n8oi9.jpg

Seik

Banned
Had a big Saturn hype week, did almost Mega Man 8 entirely, reached the last level of Mega Man X4 and did a few levels of Burning Rangers.

Now a friend of mine just left and offered to lend his XRGB3 since he wasn't using it that much, so next week will probably another Saturn week as well. IQ is so good with this. :3

I have a 4mb Capcom one for use with several fighters.

That's a RAM cart, any game which supports it can write to it. Only KOF '95 and that Ultraman game use ROM cartridges -- games with the data permanently written onto them, cartridge game style. This means that you'll need a Japanese or region-modded Saturn to play those two games, because converter carts like the Action Replay don't have that data on them.

IrishNinja

Had a big Saturn hype week, did almost Mega Man 8 entirely, reached the last level of Mega Man X4 and did a few levels of Burning Rangers.

Now a friend of mine just left and offered to lend his XRGB3 since he wasn't using it that much, so next week will probably another Saturn week as well. IQ is so good with this. :3

aw man, tying up Rangers is so on my list this year - and that's a good friend right there!

That's a RAM cart, any game which supports it can write to it. Only KOF '95 and that Ultraman game use ROM cartridges -- games with the data permanently written onto them, cartridge game style. This means that you'll need a Japanese or region-modded Saturn to play those two games, because converter carts like the Action Replay don't have that data on them.

KoF 95 was released in Europe too for some reason.

Finally finished Albert Odyssey tonight. It's a good game but certainly has some flaws. The story was pretty interesting and the music was outstanding. Easily some of the best town, bar, inn, & shop music I've heard. The graphics were decent but when it came to the spells, it seemed to fall a little flat & seemed lazy.

What I didn't like and I usually don't mind is random battles but parking me in a 8 floor tower maze with 2-way teleports right before the final boss is just cruel. Also the save points are spread out in some areas where you easily could go an hour and a half with out an option to save.

After I finished I read the translation notes on the last page of the manual and Working Designs made some interesting changes to the game. For one they shortened the time load times going into and out of a random battle from 8 seconds down to 6. Also shortened the random encounters and added more experience per battle to even it out. Finally at the end when you fight 3 bosses in a row the Japanese version didn't issue experience points after each victory but the game required you to be several levels up. So they added several experience points in between. It may not sound like much but I appreciate the changes and probably would not have enjoyed the game as much if they weren't made. My 2 cents.

Top Bottom