• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Greetings all, I'm looking for a suggestion for a good site to find Sega Saturn ISOs for use with a modchipped Saturn.

Oops, I thought back ups were acceptable here. I've never actually played a pirated game and don't have a modchip yet but to be honest I would rather try a game out and then go and find the original if I like it rather than taking a gamble each time buying something on eBay. The last game I bought for Saturn, Sim City 2000, was a disappointment that I kind of wish I didn't buy lol.

jenniferlawrenceokaythumbup.gif

Laws00

I finally got to play Magic Knight Ray Earth the Japanese version. I like it but OMG its so text heavy. I wish I could just speed everything up and just fight.

I forgot its an old school game and I have to sit through everythingggggggggggg.

Wish I knew Japanese. ClockWork Knight compilation was what I expected cause of the demo lol

StevieWhite

So I recently got the Dragon Force II translation up and running on original hardware using a Pseudo Saturn. Here's some raw footage - the intro and a single turn of gameplay. I hope to have something more polished to share at a later point in time!

https://youtu.be/2Gh5NfAQj2w

Khaz

I couldn't use my own personal copy of Dragon Force 2, and I had to resort to find one with the correct checksum over the internet. I don't believe their way of doing it is correct, every ripped copy will be slightly different due to how CD-ROM are and the errors inherent to CD drives (the meaningful data doesn't change but there are some random padding before and after that alter checksums and data location). The people from redump.org have a lot of problems getting consistent dumps because of that, and have to use known reliable drives with special tweaked software in a very tedious process.

He should make patches for individual files on the data track, instead of trying to patch the whole track. That's how Shining Force III translation does it.

StevieWhite

A pseudo Saturn is a custom bootloader, flashed onto an AR cart. Not a mod. It could conceivably be used for nefarious means, so I'm somewhat hesitant to talk about it, but it can also be used to do things like play patched versions of games you legitimately own.

cj_iwakura

A pseudo Saturn is a custom bootloader, flashed onto an AR cart. Not a mod. It could conceivably be used for nefarious means, so I'm somewhat hesitant to talk about it, but it can also be used to do things like play patched versions of games you legitimately own.

I do legitimately own DF2(I've had it for YEARS in fact), so it's relevant to my interests.

StevieWhite

Well, okay then... here's a guide I did that shows you how to get it up and running: on a console.

subspacebc.com/dragon-force-ii-translated-and-running-on-a-console/

It's a good bit of verbiage, but it basically boils down to "get a pseudo saturn, rip your existing CD, apply translation patch, play."

I ripped, patched, and burned myself. But I have the phantom something or other chip in mine. It's awesome to see a translation running on hardware.

cj_iwakura

Well, okay then... here's a guide I did that shows you how to get it up and running: on a console.

subspacebc.com/dragon-force-ii-translated-and-running-on-a-console/

It's a good bit of verbiage, but it basically boils down to "get a pseudo saturn, rip your existing CD, apply translation patch, play."

Very nice. Heh, the new Topaz ruler looks awesome. Are you sticking with Bozack?

StevieWhite

Running simultaneous playthroughs of Highland and Bozack! One nice feature is that you can save mid turn without use of a memory card. This is noce, because the Pseudo Saturn occupies the slot and can't be used for saves.

Khaz

the Pseudo Saturn occupies the slot and can't be used for saves.

And, as tempting as it may be, don't hotswitch the carts! It will infallibly result in a corrupted backup cartridge and all your precious saves will be gone forever.

If you do have a corrupted memory backup cartridge, starting to format it then switch the console off immediately may restore some of your saves, but it's a last resort method that doesn't always work. The oldest save will be sacrificed in the process no matter what.

MikeMyers

Hey SaturnGAF, I was playing the NiGHTs HD version on my PS3, and noticed something strange and wanted to know if this was in the original version.

If I play "Mystic Forest" I'll get Jacky as my boss, but if I skip it so I get right to the boss fight, I get the Gulpo.

If I play "Soft Museum" I'll get Gulp as my boss, but if I skip it so I get right to the boss fight, I get the Jacky.

Is that inherit to the original version, or something SEGA botched for the HD version?

HD ver of Nights is based off the PS2 remake, where AFAIK it's the same. Check the options screen for "Nightmaren" as that will dictate what boss comes out.

StevieWhite

And, as tempting as it may be, don't hotswitch the carts! It will infallibly result in a corrupted backup cartridge and all your precious saves will be gone forever.

If you do have a corrupted memory backup cartridge, starting to format it then switch the console off immediately may restore some of your saves, but it's a last resort method that doesn't always work. The oldest save will be sacrificed in the process no matter what.

Believe you me, I learned this the hard way many years ago...

driver116

Just bought a Saturn from eBay: Boxed + 9 games for £50.

Sonic Jam
Sonic R
Daytona USA
Lemmings
Nights
Virtua Fighter
Fighters Megamix
Clockwork Knight
Sega Touring Car Championship

driver116

Thanks.

I had a Saturn previously which I bought from eBay but it died, I have a few games at my parents which I could dig out.

The Saturn along with the Dreamcast was a console which carried some real nostalgia for me, the games were so quirky and I loved how cool it looked and the name.

Sigh, I really don't want to do it, but I'm thinking about getting rid of my copy of EAU. Thing is, there's a freakin sticker on it that's gonna be hard to get off and would "devalue" it. I have twins on the way in December though and I am looking at getting a bit of extra money here and there.

Yes, unless you get the Japanese version.

which is a little surprising to me because I picked up the US version in almost new condition for $20 some time ago...then price have skyrocketing for Saturn games recently.

I couldn't justify at the time getting HotD US, so I settled for the Japanese version (even now I won't unless I was making some serious money)...maybe I should do the same for Children of the Atom and Marvel Super Heroes so I can finally say a copy of every game in Capcom's line of Marvel fighters.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Any of you wanna inspire me and post your current collections? The rarer the better?
Sure. Here's mine:

O3qOupx.jpg

Not pictured (for some reason I forgot it when I took this pic years ago): Burning Rangers (PAL), Shining Force 3.2 (JP), Shining Force 3.3 (JP) (bought after I took this pic)

I should start googling for a Princess Crown and Wachenröder translation patch... I barely touched the first and never even played the second. :(

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I'm playing through Panzer Dragoon Saga again and while I still don't think it's worth the astronomical asking price... it's really something special, and I wish every Saturn owner could get a chance to play it.

On disc 4 there's that woods bit where you have to go to the forest floor to take out the monsters that use Tornado -- am I forgetting to do something? I can't get past them.

I'm playing through Panzer Dragoon Saga again and while I still don't think it's worth the astronomical asking price... it's really something special, and I wish every Saturn owner could get a chance to play it.

On disc 4 there's that woods bit where you have to go to the forest floor to take out the monsters that use Tornado -- am I forgetting to do something? I can't get past them.

Go underground to defeat them.

Any of you wanna inspire me and post your current collections? The rarer the better?

i8LUxukVjfL2Z.JPG

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Go underground to defeat them.
Right, I've entered the pot thing to get to the forest floor and I've lasered its base but there doesn't seem to be anything else I can do down there.

Anyway, here are my games. Not pictured are Burning Rangers, which I have disc-only, and NiGHTs, which I have the jewel case release for.

Right, I've entered the pot thing to get to the forest floor and I've lasered its base but there doesn't seem to be anything else I can do down there.
Are you sure you've gone through all of the pots leading you north to orig tower thingy? I remember having the pots show on my map but I didn't actually go through them.

Edit: LOL@ Sonic Jam

Top Bottom