• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Jaeger

Sure. Here's mine:

O3qOupx.jpg

Not pictured (for some reason I forgot it when I took this pic years ago): Burning Rangers (PAL), Shining Force 3.2 (JP), Shining Force 3.3 (JP) (bought after I took this pic)

I should start googling for a Princess Crown and Wachenröder translation patch... I barely touched the first and never even played the second. :(

Go underground to defeat them.

i8LUxukVjfL2Z.JPG

Right, I've entered the pot thing to get to the forest floor and I've lasered its base but there doesn't seem to be anything else I can do down there.

Anyway, here are my games. Not pictured are Burning Rangers, which I have disc-only, and NiGHTs, which I have the jewel case release for.

Thanks guys. Needed some inspiration on how and where to start on my collection. I know now what I want to do, and that's buy as many sealed games as possible. Of course the ones I plan on playing I will buy used/open when possible, but there are a handful of games I just want unused copies and I will probably never open them myself. I know this will be incredibly expensive but so is everything I want to do, sadly. ><

That Sonic Jam tho. &#55357;&#56613;&#55357;&#56613;&#55357;&#56613;

I was looking hard for Sonic Jam, until i actually saw it. lol

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Why sealed? You're just paying premium for something that's not worth it. Assuming you want to play the games you buy eventually, of course. If you don't... then I can't help you. Collecting for its own sake never appealed to me. :p

Jaeger

Why sealed? You're just paying premium for something that's not worth it. Assuming you want to play the games you buy eventually, of course. If you don't... then I can't help you. Collecting for its own sake never appealed to me. :p

It's fairly simple to play these games on your console without using the original disc. As a collector it's kind of normal to not want to alter its original packaging state to maintain it's original value. Like a toy some collectors never want to twirl it around the house or lob it at other enemy toys. They want to keep it pristine and in it's original packaging. Think of it as artwork. Specifically, the Saturn Jewel cases + spine cards are a thing of beauty, to me. I'd like to maintain as many as possible in that original state. I like to neatly organize the games I collect and place them on my shelving where I look at them from time to time. Discussion pieces with friends and family. Pieces of history untouched by curiosity.

Whatever I am able to get hold of, if I want to play it that bad I'll make a backup and play that one on my Saturn console.

One more example, I collect ports of Street Fighter II. Not because I'm dying to play the Brazilian SMS port of SFII. But because I have a desire to own each one due to my love of the series. I have ports for consoles I don't even own and are hard to even get. Some of them are sealed, and if possible I would like to keep them that way. I know how SFII plays.

More for me. :p

Edit - I like spines / obis. Best way to make sure they are in good condition or even there is a sealed copy.

Thats not always the case.

Quoted from the N64 board.

Hey asshole rookie eBay seller, don't ship a sealed N64 game in a bubble mailer!
Time to request a return. sigh

d8JrraA.jpg

I specifically gave them instructions to ship in a box during my checkout, as I do with most valuable soft-boxed games.

I'm sure you can guess why that really doesn't have anything to do with this subject.

Sure it does. A lot of sellers are idiots. That was the point. I never ran into a problem, but it can happen.

Also why don't you PM FINALFANTASYDOG, he was selling sealed US & JP Saturn games on the BST forum.

KC-Slater

All my NA Saturn games' cases are in brutal condition. I bought most of theml used from a video store I used to work at back in the 90s, back when they were liquidating their Saturn stuff. Most of the cases are cracked/have broken hinges/covered with stickers. Granted, I got them dirt cheap, but it still pains me enough that I re-bought most of my collection (and then some) with Japanese counterparts.

I have zero love for Sega's proprietary packaging ways.

Coda

Right, I've entered the pot thing to get to the forest floor and I've lasered its base but there doesn't seem to be anything else I can do down there.

Anyway, here are my games. Not pictured are Burning Rangers, which I have disc-only, and NiGHTs, which I have the jewel case release for.

Haha, nice Sonic Jam cover.

StevieWhite

Per the recent trend, my library:

I've had a Saturn since age 14, and I've never gotten rid of a game (and never will)... I play these a lot so they are in all kinds of conditions... from taped together to near mint. Note the Funco Land sleeve on Heir of Zendor. My favorite system of all time.

RiZ III

Didn't realize how rare Shining Force 3 is. There's only 1 copy on ebay right now that has the case/manual/game!! By comparison there are quite a few copies of PDS.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Didn't realize how rare Shining Force 3 is. There's only 1 copy on ebay right now that has the case/manual/game!! By comparison there are quite a few copies of PDS.
supply/demand works both ways - at a higher price there are more prospective sellers

number of copies on eBay is a poor measurement of rarity, there were more copies of SFIII produced than PDS

thomasos

number of copies on eBay is a poor measurement of rarity, there were more copies of SFIII produced than PDS

I'm pretty sure that's not true. SFIII and PDS were produced in roughly equal quantities (along with House of the Dead and Burning Rangers). That's what I was told by Sega in 1998, anyway, when I was working in the press.

RiZ III

supply/demand works both ways - at a higher price there are more prospective sellers

Well it came around the same time as PDS so I'm assuming Sega didn't print many more copies of it than they did with PDS. Regardless, what I was saying is that it's extremely hard to find now.

Jaeger

Zweii is one of my favorite games ever. Not just Saturn but period.

I'm debating between getting a copy of Wolf Fang or Dracula X. I can get Wolf Fang for the PSX WAAAAAAY cheaper but I want it on the Saturn more. Has away cooler art IMO.

Jaeger

Grabbed a couple of games off eBay yesterday. I'll post them up the second I get them. How's the homebrew scene for the Saturn?

So, just got Shadow Of The Tusk, a tactical/card RPG hybrid import that has a good chunk of its text in, surprisingly, english. Is this a well-known import or just generally not cared for, for one reason or another?

Teknoman

So, just got Shadow Of The Tusk, a tactical/card RPG hybrid import that has a good chunk of its text in, surprisingly, english. Is this a well-known import or just generally not cared for, for one reason or another?

Looks like its by Hudson too, and with the Maximo / Famitsu artist? The whole combat system looks to be in english? Gunstar, you've gotta do a video review on this. Unless someone chimes in with a reason why...the world needs more SRPGs to revisit/discover for the first time. Especially with ease of import like Saturn.

Sounds like you picked it up at the right time since a 100K+ subscriber Youtube guy just mentioned it.

Teknoman

Sounds like you picked it up at the right time since a 100K+ subscriber Youtube guy just mentioned it.

Well thats that lol. Still should make a video about it though. Its kind of a double edge sword...helps people learn about a new game that may become a fan favorite...but also risks skyrocketing the price. Then again Drill Dozer is still cheap.

nonexistent

There are a handful of translation patches out if you want to be generous and count that... Definitely wish there were more. I feel like games like Lunar and Snatcher need to be played on the Saturn and not the Playstation. That's silly though.

What's the status of the Policenauts Saturn translation, by the way? Can't find much post-2013 out there.

piggychan

Zweii is one of my favorite games ever. Not just Saturn but period.

I'm debating between getting a copy of Wolf Fang or Dracula X. I can get Wolf Fang for the PSX WAAAAAAY cheaper but I want it on the Saturn more. Has away cooler art IMO.

Just get the Saturn version and treat it as an addition to the castlevania family, It's probably the worst version out of the lot but it is still a damn fine game in it's own right and the extras are a fine addition.

Top Bottom