• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Jaeger

Just get the Saturn version and treat it as an addition to the castlevania family, It's probably the worst version out of the lot but it is still a damn fine game in it's own right and the extras are a fine addition.

Oh yea. It's one of my all time favs. I used to have the Saturn version (and many many other rare titles) but my dumber younger self 10 years ago sold them all for little to nothing to feed a nasty habit I had. :(

Anyway, my new creamy (yellowing) Saturn came in. Works great!
W9g9V8V.jpg

yes, threw them into trash bin :D
WHY.gif

Mzo

There are a handful of translation patches out if you want to be generous and count that... Definitely wish there were more. I feel like games like Lunar and Snatcher need to be played on the Saturn and not the Playstation. That's silly though.

I feel like Snatcher is a game that needs to be played on the Sega CD. The music in the Saturn and PS1 versions just doesn't do it for me.

Snatcher belongs on the PC Engine.

Where they belong.

Teknoman

It's not in English on the PC Engine.

Otherwise, I might be inclined to agree; I like the PC Engine version of the soundtrack a fair bit.

I wonder if thats why no one has attempted a fan translation or retranslation of the PC engine version. If its already there on Sega CD, there isnt a point?

Finally got my memory cart to work again, what a relief, I had some new shmup high scores I'd been needing to back up.

You're joking, right? Regardless of what you think of them, spine cards help your games retain their value and if you didn't want them you could have at least sold them for extra cash.

You're joking, right? Regardless of what you think of them, spine cards help your games retain their value and if you didn't want them you could have at least sold them for extra cash.

that's true but sunfaded spines add nothing to the vale of the product, basically you could consider them as a detective part and I don't wanna sell defective objects

there are 2 ways of thinking about buying retrogames :
1- I want to play that damn care, don't care about spine-card, regcard or whatever else
2- i collect games and I try to buy the product in the best condition I can find

so in both cases there is no interest into a sunfaded spine-card
this is my point of view as both a collector and seller, but of course I respect any other idea different from mine; as I said above that's just my policy about selling games

Mzo

I don't toss them, but I usually hide the spine card in the manual. They're useless and unnecessary. Well, they served a purpose at the retail store where they were displayed, but once that wrapper is off they belong in the trash with the rest of the wrapping.

I don't buy games with the intent to sell, so it barely matters to me what it's worth once it's in my hands.

Selling them is a pretty good idea! It'd help offset the cost of the game that actually matters, but I feel bad perpetuating the importance of something so stupid by giving it monetary value.

that's true but sunfaded spines add nothing to the vale of the product, basically you could consider them as a detective part and I don't wanna sell defective objects

there are 2 ways of thinking about buying retrogames :
1- I want to play that damn care, don't care about spine-card, regcard or whatever else
2- i collect games and I try to buy the product in the best condition I can find

so in both cases there is no interest into a sunfaded spine-card
this is my point of view as both a collector and seller, but of course I respect any other idea different from mine; as I said above that's just my policy about selling games

You never said they had sun fading, they look OK in the pictures. I don't disagree that spine cards are obviously useless but you're still throwing away money, why not just put them in the case/manual out of sight like a lot of people? Keeping spine card = retaining resell value to potential buyers who do care about the spine card. Ex: Would you casually throw away a Radiant Silvergun spine card? But if you feel they're really *that* inconvenient to have around then to each their own.

Jaeger

I don't toss them, but I usually hide the spine card in the manual. They're useless and unnecessary. Well, they served a purpose at the retail store where they were displayed, but once that wrapper is off they belong in the trash with the rest of the wrapping.

I don't buy games with the intent to sell, so it barely matters to me what it's worth once it's in my hands.

Selling them is a pretty good idea! It'd help offset the cost of the game that actually matters, but I feel bad perpetuating the importance of something so stupid by giving it monetary value.

I doubt you are that oblivious to the nature of collectables and people wanting everything possible that came with something to still be present, later. And in the best condition possible. It's the same reason people don't want damaged discs, or cracked cases. Well kept games goes hand in hand with retro game collecting communities. Same reason people want manuals. Trying to look down on the desire to want something like a spine card with the rest of the stuff isn't necessary.

To each his own though. For me, seeing this kind of crap to a formerly attractive packaged is a major catastrophe;

GAMECASE.jpg

Disgusting.

ok, anyone has his own opinion about spine-cards, so let's go forward :)

today I received a DC with a guide, I never heard of it and I was very excited when I realized what is was : the complete catalogue about hw, sw and accessories

so here comes my question : does anybody know if something similar was made for the Saturn?
I'm always curious to see if I can find some games I never heard of them before :)

Jaeger

ok, anyone has his own opinion about spine-cards, so let's go forward :)

today I received a DC with a guide, I never heard of it and I was very excited when I realized what is was : the complete catalogue about hw, sw and accessories

so here comes my question : does anybody know if something similar was made for the Saturn?
I'm always curious to see if I can find some games I never heard of them before :)

This is the only one I am familiar with.

Jaeger

I think GAF members should band together and make a Mook for the Saturn Library. Include detailed information and imagery on the game, the differences between versions (if any others), and so on. That would be kind of fun, actually. Get it published and have real physical books!

Salty Hippo

This has probably been asked and discussed a million times, but is there anything I can do to make 3D graphics more bearable on the SSF other than using a SD display? A secret option in the menus? A plugin? SOMETHING, ANYTHING?

c0de

This has probably been asked and discussed a million times, but is there anything I can do to make 3D graphics more bearable on the SSF other than using a SD display? A secret option in the menus? A plugin? SOMETHING, ANYTHING?

Not really. It is totally software rendering. You could try yabause with its OpenGL renderer but it has limited compatibility and development is not really active.

seems like there was a book similar to the one made for Dreamcast, but for Saturn it was published in 2000 so it should contain all the released games (207 pages...)

book's name is : Sega Saturn no game wa sekai ichii

Scanlines my man, scanlines. I use it windowed at 3x with scanlines on (quite dark ones), makes it look like I'm watching a smaller SD set on my HDTV.

Anybody have any idea how dark scanlines should be compared to real SDTV's?! Completely black or more diffuse lighter ones?

seems like there was a book similar to the one made for Dreamcast, but for Saturn it was published in 2000 so it should contain all the released games (207 pages...)

book's name is : Sega Saturn no game wa sekai ichii

Hm... Looks like it's missing some:
http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/sega-saturn-magazines-top-250-saturn-games-japanese.12817/

SatMag is a famous magazine in Japan. 945 games have been rated/ranked by the magazine and its readers during its life.

some games haven't been rated (about 120 of them).

Khaz

Anybody have any idea how dark scanlines should be compared to real SDTV's?! Completely black or more diffuse lighter ones?

You can't exactly replicate an SD screen with a simple filter, as scanlines have a variable width depending on the pixel brightness: a white area will have almost no discernible scanlines, whereas a dark blue surface will have very thin, distinct scanlines. Plus the pixels on a CRT are round, not square like on an LCD.

Put them at 25 or maybe 50%. More and you'll just darken the screen too much. with a 25% darkened odd lines, it would somewhat fool your sight by enhancing the difference in brightness: bright areas would still be bright, dark areas would be darker. Kind of. Sort of.

Mzo

To each his own though. For me, seeing this kind of crap to a formerly attractive packaged is a major catastrophe;

GAMECASE.jpg

Disgusting.

I insist on good looking manuals and discs, sometimes cases if it would be hard to replace. All my games are well-kept. Comparing not having the spine card to a GameStop replacement case is a pretty long way to go, c'mon now. It's more like saying Gunstar Heroes just doesn't feel complete without a fruit roll-up inside.

Jaeger

I insist on good looking manuals and discs, sometimes cases if it would be hard to replace. All my games are well-kept. Comparing not having the spine card to a GameStop replacement case is a pretty long way to go, c'mon now. It's more like saying Gunstar Heroes just doesn't feel complete without a fruit roll-up inside.

No it's not. And the Roll-Up joke misses the mark completely. Each spine card is uniquely designed to accompany each game. They compliment and in some cases add a nice element of style to the case that is totally lost without it. I also keep the spines of my Albums, and Laser Discs.

I'm also not in a rush to play the game so bad that i throw away items that came with it. It takes less energy to tuck it inside the jewel case than it does to ball them up and toss them in the garbage. Throw away the manual too, while we at it. Unless you read Japanese and the info in their is imperative to playing the game, somehow.

POYFfi6.jpg

Not my image.

Again you are entitled to do what you want. For the few copies out there left of the games I want to get on this old platform, I want everything. I am a collector. And I love obi/spine cards.

Mzo

I'm joking about throwing them out.

I tuck them into the manual, too, I just don't care about them in the slightest. Kinda like the ads that come in games. If something has survived long enough without being split up or destroyed, I'm not going to be the one that does it. If I buy a game and it brings one, cool, if not, whatever. Especially when it shaves like $50 off the price, which is ridiculous.

I don't know what I'd label myself. I like video games?

The only thing I've been playing on my Saturn is Sonic 2 in Sonic Jam for comparison purposes. I actually played through the 3D area's challenges for the first time ever, though, and saw the credits. Pretty neat.

Makes me wish Sonic Team had finished a 3D Saturn Sonic game or (better yet) an amazing 2D 32-bit Sonic game. It's way too late now, but someone should have told them that speed isn't the most important thing and that they could have made a good 3D platformer with some speed set pieces and it would have been enough.

Sonic and 3D, man; it's a mess.

Mzo

Wasn't Adventure originally meant to be a Saturn game?

I've seen lots of rumors about Sonic Team trying to get something going on the Saturn, but in an interview Yuji Naka mentioned that Adventure was always meant for the Dreamcast. Supposedly after NiGHTS was completed, the Dreamcast was already being put together and Naka wanted their next game to use all the new tech he was salivating over.

He is a giant liar, though.

thomasos

I've seen lots of rumors about Sonic Team trying to get something going on the Saturn, but in an interview Yuji Naka mentioned that Adventure was always meant for the Dreamcast. Supposedly after NiGHTS was completed, the Dreamcast was already being put together and Naka wanted their next game to use all the new tech he was salivating over.

He is a giant liar, though.

What makes you say that Naka is a giant liar? He's somewhat aloof, sure, but he never struck me as a liar.

uhm... thanks for your note

well, it's not complete but at least the most accurate, the other one linked in previous pages only covered around 600 titles

and maybe those 100 missing titles could be Satakore versions ?

The book seems to have readers ranking of games from each issue of SatMag or something. Those 120 are missing since they didn't get any scores by the readers.

Full title, cover and ISBN here:
http://www.segaretro.org/Saturn_no_Game_wa_Sekai_Ichi~i~i~i!:_Satamaga_Dokusha_Race_Zen_Kiroku

thomasos

lol, I just meant I think he was using PR speak during that interview to say that Sonic Adventure was always planned for the Dreamcast instead of saying they tried and failed on the Saturn.

http://info.sonicretro.org/Game_Development:Sonic_Adventure

That's a really good writeup of Sonic Team around that time.

Ah, OK. The reason I asked is that I find the perception of Naka and his career sort of fascinating. He probably got too much credit for Sonic initially, but then the pendulum swung way too far the other way, and the backlash has caused his accomplishments to go underappreciated, I think.

As for the subject at hand, I would tend to believe him only because Burning Rangers came so late in the Saturn life cycle that it would make sense for Sonic Team's follow-up project to be for Dreamcast.

Mzo

What's different in Sonic 2 and 3 on jam?

Not much at all. Some sounds are different. Some small bug fixes here and there.

As for the subject at hand, I would tend to believe him only because Burning Rangers came so late in the Saturn life cycle that it would make sense for Sonic Team's follow-up project to be for Dreamcast.

Nah, Yuji Naka is cool in my book. You're right that he got all the credit for way too long, kind of like Uncle Inafune.

The Saturn prototype stage was released on Sonic Jam, which came out before Burning Rangers. They were working on this between NiGHTS and BR.

You can't exactly replicate an SD screen with a simple filter, as scanlines have a variable width depending on the pixel brightness: a white area will have almost no discernible scanlines, whereas a dark blue surface will have very thin, distinct scanlines. Plus the pixels on a CRT are round, not square like on an LCD.

Put them at 25 or maybe 50%. More and you'll just darken the screen too much. with a 25% darkened odd lines, it would somewhat fool your sight by enhancing the difference in brightness: bright areas would still be bright, dark areas would be darker. Kind of. Sort of.

Thanks for your insight at least! Been messing around with the SFF emulator and Kega Fusion for older Sega games lately. I find I don't like all these filters on Kega Fusion anymore like I used to; i only go for scanlines as it reminds me of how the games should look like.

I don't own any CRT sadly for my old consoles, and as such I have to play them on a HDTV. I have some great cables for my Saturn and Mega Drive (For Master System games I just use the MS Base Converter) and I can put the TV in game mode to reduce lag. But man it just doesn't look the same without scanlines!

Personally I use the composite filter blaarg made in Kega, which emulates the color-smearing many Genesis games relied on to get the most out of their 61 color palette, with 25% scanlines.

And yet I use SCART in an XRGB-mini for my actual Genesis, which removes all that color-banding. I'm weirdly backwards that way.

No it's not. And the Roll-Up joke misses the mark completely. Each spine card is uniquely designed to accompany each game. They compliment and in some cases add a nice element of style to the case that is totally lost without it. I also keep the spines of my Albums, and Laser Discs.

I'm also not in a rush to play the game so bad that i throw away items that came with it. It takes less energy to tuck it inside the jewel case than it does to ball them up and toss them in the garbage. Throw away the manual too, while we at it. Unless you read Japanese and the info in their is imperative to playing the game, somehow.

Again you are entitled to do what you want. For the few copies out there left of the games I want to get on this old platform, I want everything. I am a collector. And I love obi/spine cards.

This is an excellent point, the spines often have a nice bit of additional art or promo. I like the Radiant Silvergun spine's little picture and ad for the soundtrack. A few examples of my own, on the left is the spine for Strikers 1945 II and on the right is the spine for Do Don Pachi which seems to be advertising both the PCB and either an arcade stick or possibly a super gun? Can anyone here translate or confirm?

Salty Hippo

Not really. It is totally software rendering. You could try yabause with its OpenGL renderer but it has limited compatibility and development is not really active.

Scanlines my man, scanlines. I use it windowed at 3x with scanlines on (quite dark ones), makes it look like I'm watching a smaller SD set on my HDTV.

Thank you! Scanlines do help a little bit. I'm using only 30% (70 on the scale) because more than that makes the image too dark for my tastes.

I have a question regarding compatibility, would appreciate if anyone can help. The game is Astal, which never worked for me before, but I recently found out that you have to enable SH2 cache in the options. I did that and it finally worked, but the game crashes right in the beginning when you lift the tree. Tried it 3 times, always crashes at the same point.

Anyone know what the issue might be? I'm using 012_beta_R4 and the game is US version. Should work perfectly according to compatility lists I've seen.

That cover reminds me, I knew a guy on another forum who bought a Castrol Celica GT-Four off Craigslist, and it looked exactly like the car in the game.

gelf

Dang is the normal Yabause this good? Been years since I saw it.

Its gotten a lot better then it used to be. Compatibility still doesn't compare with SSF but it plays some games really well. I played Panzer Dragoon Zwei to completion in opengl mode and aside from the music being a little off it was fine.

Hopefully this android port encourages more development.

StevieWhite

I really don't care for spine cards, but ever since I've heard that people have value for them, I keep them. Just tuck them away in the manual... I know a dude that occasionally sells loose spine cards, weirdly enough.

On an unrelated note....

Sieges can take a REALLY long time in Dragon Force II... made the mistake of telling my wife I'd be down in a few minutes before starting this one.

https://youtu.be/QD8800xOOY8

Has Fighting Vipers some problems with the analog pad ?

I was playing and suddendly I couldn't move properly my fighter, switching to a normal pad and everything went normal.
The issue lasted after 4 or 5 matches, not immediately, that's the reason I felt surprised.

I was thinking the analog pad had a problem but I played F-1 Live Information for around 6 minutes and it worked perfectly

well, the fun thing is when "Original Mode" ends you can't do anything until your car finishes another lap in camera mode, any input doesn't work; so I thought "damn, but today every game is strange???" and I reset my Saturn; played again but this time I waited for around a minute and finally the "game over" screen popped up :D

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
So, out of all the famous English Saturn RPGs, the one I'm missing is Albert Odyssey... and holy shit is it just me or did that game shoot up in price??? Last I remembered it was pushing $70... but nowadays it's hard to find under $140.

Top Bottom