• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

No 240p in the DC release either. Same goes for DC version of Super Turbo.

I don't like how inconsistent Capcom was with resolution on DC. I mean, Alpha 3, SF3 Double Impact, SF3 3rd Strike, JoJo's and MvC1 all supported 240p. Shame the others don't.

Even stranger Alpha/Zero 3 doesnt work over scart (just like ST)

Timu

There's a PS2 collection, but like the Alpha Anthology no 240p so it is a piece of garbage.
On the bright side Alpha Anthology is 480p so no nasty interlacing at least, which is far worse.

Hell I can't stand interlacing in 2D games, 3D is bad enough.

No 240p in the DC release either. Same goes for DC version of Super Turbo.

I don't like how inconsistent Capcom was with resolution on DC. I mean, Alpha 3, SF3 Double Impact, SF3 3rd Strike, JoJo's and MvC1 all supported 240p. Shame the others don't.
I need to keep this in mind, definitely for MvC1 and Alpha 3.

StevieWhite

heh...that SF IV mockup box is on point

was just saying how for halloween horror month i think i wanna finally play D - ive read it's worth playing once & inevitably failing, then again with the gameshark on for infinite time & whatever. thoughts?

i know it's on the short side, curious if ill wanna go into Enemy Zero, D2 or maybe back to Mansion of Hidden Souls.

I remember thinking D was just "eh," but it's short enough to warrant an attempt. Enemy Zero is far scarier, if you've got the patience to deal with the pre-rendered exploration sequences. They are both very much "of their time."

What's the preferred version of D? PSX?

MikeMyers

I dunno which system its bett-

hqdefault.jpg

uh, its better on Saturn.

StevieWhite

You are right. Go Saturn.

Also, just cheat your way through it, the more I think about it. I don't really think the time limit adds anything other than irritation.

Sort of like the how you have a limited number of saves/loads in enemy zero.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
The best Marvel Vs is the first. 3 has points for featuring Zero, Dante, Virgil, Ammy, Chris, and Tron...but 1 has the best looking art style, focused gameplay (not 300 hit combo insanity plus 3 v 3) and the best introduction.

You ain't seen enough Marvel 1, breh.

That whole series is busted (and awesome). MvC2 is the only one with an outright terrible aesthetic, but it's still fun to play.

I don't recall why, but I think World Series Baseball '98 was the last baseball game I ever really enjoyed. Maybe it's because it's one of the few games my dad and I ever played together.

IrishNinja

^good luck! that and Burning Rangers are the only ones im missing manuals for, and at this point i think i'll hold out for someone with a 3D printer down the road.

still, Legions took a lotta shit in the day but it's a solid Shinobi title.

MikeMyers

Haha yeah. I'd prefer to get X though with that Saturn 3D Blast composer.

It's a shame X-Men Vs. SF doesn't have a practice mode. Need to train my Cammy.

TeaJay

Look what arrived for me today. Price was 58 € which is not optimal but I feel like lower than your average going price nowadays so I'm good. CD's are perfect, no scratches or anything, but...

... case was damaged during shipping. There's a big crack on the backside and the cd holders are broken (which I guessed when I heard rattle picking up the case). It sucks, but the pictures of the case were perfect too so I can't fault the seller.

Now, is the Saturn japanese two-disc case the exact same as the normal double CD cases I could pick up from any flea market for an € or two as a replacement?

TeaJay

That's what I thought but wanted to confirm it. The game itself feels excellent. I really dig the artstyle and that kind of .. anachronistic? setting of medieval Japan but with robots and stuff.

D.Lo

How's the Konami MSX collection? I've never played any games on the system, so I figure it'd be a good way to start.
It's pretty good, but only has MSX1 games, so none of the big names or best Konami MSX2 games (Contra, Dracula, Metal Gear, Space Manbow).

MSX1 is pretty primitive, same tech level as ColecoVision and Sega SG1000.

Khaz

You can get some crappy music CDs at flea markets as well ;P

Eh; last time I did that I bought the cheapest double CD I could find in a pound shop, from and unknown band, to harvest the box. It turned out it was actually good music and now I'm looking for another box to replace the one I took.

It's pretty good, but only has MSX1 games, so none of the big names or best Konami MSX2 games (Contra, Dracula, Metal Gear, Space Manbow).

Good to know. I may not take a chance on it, in that case.

And what about CyberBots? It's rarely talked about, and I've seen the special edition being sold for pretty cheap before.

aspect ratio is off compared the the 3 ps1 compilations too, right?

D.Lo

Probably? A few Saturn games have that because it doesn't support the native resolutions sometimes. I have an MSX but not any of those games so can't check.

But it also combined all three separate PS1 releases, so is much better value.

Danchi

I've read on shmups.system11 that the emulation on the PS1 version is too slow for a lot of the games. The Saturn version isn't perfect (too fast on a couple of games...), but overall is the one to get.

You might be thinking of some of the Konami Deluxe Pack and Capcom Generation games. If I remember right, some of these had black bars on the Saturn because it couldn't output certain resolution levels.

IrishNinja

yeah, i dug it but id love an MSX2 collection, looking at that list...glad i got it for a fair price at least
also id love that PSX Konami Arcade disc but fuck is it pricey

Eh; last time I did that I bought the cheapest double CD I could find in a pound shop, from and unknown band, to harvest the box. It turned out it was actually good music and now I'm looking for another box to replace the one I took.

ahaha... retro gaming life right here

AmyS

This was the article that got me hyped for Saturn. Sadly, much of this turned out not to be true (i.e. 900,000 polys/sec and arcade screens passed off as Saturn).

And note the specs were either totally wrong, or very different from final hardware.

SeMu6nK.jpg

8JFHgz8.jpg

Khaz

What makes you think they are Arcade and not Saturn screenshots?

[edit] Ok, I read the article. We're near RetroVGS levels of bullshit here. We have an actual console shell picture, but the specs are all over the place with no definitive number, no answer regarding whether the system will be retrocompatible or not (the kind of thing normally planned way ahead), and they have yet to decide whether they will produce games in cartridge or CD form.

This or the journalist only got the pamphlet with some specs on the stand, and went on some crazy wild speculation regarding compatibility and cartridges. [edit2] Probably this. It's after the 1994 Winter CES (January 1994) and the Saturn was launched in November 1994 in Japan. Games must have been well in development and the specs should have been almost finalised by then to start mass producing soon after.

Celine

arcade screens passed off as Saturn
The culprit was Sega though.
Those screenshots are from the demo reel Sega showed before release.
I'm pretty sure they used CGI to impress the press (example Panzer Dragoon screens).
Look here:
http://g30.picoodle.com/ltd/img30/2/7/31/rod_wod/f_txeda0um_d39ed44.jpg
http://g30.picoodle.com/ltd/img30/2/7/31/rod_wod/f_txeda0vm_3d090c1.jpg

Speaking of Panzer Dragoon ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1p51eFb3Lg

EDIT:
The heck is that screen vertically sandwiched between Daytona and Virtua Racing there supposed to be
Panzer Dragoon

I admit I haven't played all the way through Panzer Dragoon, and certainly not in a good while, but I don't recall a forested mountain stage, which is what that screen looks like. Like, I know Stage 5 is a forest level, but you flew waaay above that.

Seriously, it makes me think more of Forest from Sega Rally than Panzer Dragoon, but I sincerely doubt it's that.

Celine

I admit I haven't played all the way through Panzer Dragoon, and certainly not in a good while, but I don't recall a forested mountain stage, which is what that screen looks like. Like, I know Stage 5 is a forest level, but you flew waaay above that.

Seriously, it makes me think more of Forest from Sega Rally than Panzer Dragoon, but I sincerely doubt it's that.
It's a CGI demo (a prototype, proof of concept), look at the scan I posted above.

Top Bottom