• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Banjoman

So I'm a retarded piece of shit.
Yesterday I came back home in Europe and I wanted to set up immediately the japanese Saturn I bought. Too bad I totally forgot that I needed a converter, so when I pressed power I heard a terrible sound and saw a flash from the inside. Also, the console smelled like burned plastic.
Is my Saturn gone for good without any hope?
I want to kill myself.

D.Lo

You likely just killed the power supply.

Find a broken local machine and swap the power in. It's a separate module. Then you don't need a converter anyway.

Theres gotta be a reason for such a...random amount. Secret code?

Some amazon sellers run scripts that adjust the price based on other listings, which eventually leads to hilarity like this. On the other end of the spectrum some run scripts to undercut other sellers by pennies so they are the first listing, which in extreme cases can lead to deals if 2 bots keep continually trying to undercut each other. I think chacrac got some deals on Saturn games that way.

Okay, I can definitely see the resemblance now.

Although not unexpected of a CG promotional render, that looks a lot better to my tastes than the PD we actually ended up getting - geometry is much more complex than what PD generally opted for (usually flat ground with some stuff occasionally coming up out of it, though not particularly densely), to the point that it looks more like Zwei or your average N64 game. The enemy and dragon art are kinda lamer than the final, though.

MikeMyers

Decided to get Alpha 2.

Alpha 2 and VF2 will be my 2D and 3D traditional fighters, while X-Men Vs. SF and Fighters Megamix will be my 2D and 3D over the top fighters. Works for me.

IrishNinja

Some amazon sellers run scripts that adjust the price based on other listings, which eventually leads to hilarity like this. On the other end of the spectrum some run scripts to undercut other sellers by pennies so they are the first listing, which in extreme cases can lead to deals if 2 bots keep continually trying to undercut each other. I think chacrac got some deals on Saturn games that way.

As a seller on Amazon, I hate that. You don't have to put up with penny douchery nearly as often on eBay

ah, learned something new today - was wondering why i'd leave stuff in my cart for hours while making up my mind and constantly see little adjustments (usually a dollar or more shaved off as it goes)

Bar81

I love this sort of description. It may or may not have the box and manual. How the fuck can you not know that if you have tested the disc?

Amazon is almost worthless for retro stuff since most sellers don't show pics and ship items off to Amazon itself for storage so if they aren't organized (and almost all aren't) they really can't tell you what they're actually selling.

Teknoman

I always just contact the seller to see if they have the case and manual.

That and a lot of sellers are pretty descriptive these days. Those with big ass listings are the ones that use generic descriptions. The stuff isn't at Amazon unless they say "Fulfillment by Amazon" which is a pretty small amount when it comes to retro. The majority sell out of their home / personal business ala Ebay. Personally I've had one semi bad experience with Amazon, and that was a Shining Force 2 long ago. Said it came complete, but the box it came in was a legit plastic sega box with the real cardboard box cut and fit as cover art. Cart and manual were perfect...

Other than that, no real issues. Both Amazon and Ebay have really good return policies for sellers though, so at this point, nothing to worry about.

Amazon is almost worthless for retro stuff since most sellers don't show pics and ship items off to Amazon itself for storage so if they aren't organized (and almost all aren't) they really can't tell you what they're actually selling.

This is exactly why I don't use Amazon.

Timu

I use Amazon and don't have much trouble with it(some do show pics too)...and besides, not every ebay seller shows pics of their games either(heck recently I'm not even sure what certain games looked like in their condition, just descriptions).

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Decided to get Alpha 2.

Alpha 2 and VF2 will be my 2D and 3D traditional fighters, while X-Men Vs. SF and Fighters Megamix will be my 2D and 3D over the top fighters. Works for me.

Daily reminder that VF2 Saturn is a gem

tumblr_nr558eHMb71slig2vo1_400.gif

tumblr_nr55h9eFxt1slig2vo1_400.gif

tumblr_no5d2xZkYV1slig2vo1_400.gif

tumblr_nhu0079Z0c1slig2vo1_400.gif

MikeMyers

From the Enemy Zero wikipedia:

Enemy Zero began life on Sony's PlayStation. Irritated by Sony's failure to meet even a third of preorders for the PlayStation version of D, at a Sony conference Kenji Eno made a shocking move. Eno showed a preview of Enemy Zero. At the end of the clip the PlayStation logo appeared, but slowly transitioned into the Sega Saturn logo.[6]

Please tell me someone has a video of that.

Rufus

No, but it's - interesting, I guess. Like all of Eno's games. Watch Supergreatfriend's Let's Play of it, it's on Youtube. He's got great LPs of other obscure games too, including D, D2 and Illbleed, all of which are excellent.

Khaz

I don't know much about the Dreamcast, but I would have assumed widescreen mode would have been common in its games. Sega experimented with it with Nights and Panzer Dragoon Zwei, and the 16/9 CRT were becoming more and more common in the late nineties.

So a single Action replay code to enlarge a game? I suppose the games were also coded for widescreen but for some reason the mode was never added in the options.

MikeMyers

Reading UK Saturn Magazine and they have an interview with Akira on Street Fighter EX.

A game which didn't even come to the Saturn, lol.

I want FF Revenge for the box art alone (but the game sucks, right?).

Am I crazy, or is the animation in Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter better than it is in MvC 1 and 2?

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
You likely just killed the power supply.

Find a broken local machine and swap the power in. It's a separate module. Then you don't need a converter anyway.

Is this easy to do? Probably need to do it with both my Saturn and Dreamcast to get rid of that huge converter.

D.Lo

Is this easy to do? Probably need to do it with both my Saturn and Dreamcast to get rid of that huge converter.
Easy as. Basically plug and play, no soldering. As long as it's a matching other region model (round or oval buttons).

Top Bottom