• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I'm finding myself rebuying games on the XBox that I have on the PC. Even though they can often go to much higher resolutions and give a cleaner look, I feel having them on a CRT, even better on an HD CRT, makes them much more lively. Plus it means I don't have to bother with the random controller support of PC games from that era.

I do this alot as well. Its also often a pain to get them to run properly on PC, but they will always work on your good ole Xbox.

Official Sega fan club's top 10 Saturn games.
Nothing too shocking, but an interesting look at contemporaneous Japanese audience tastes nonetheless.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4HlzAnKUCA

Was Virtua Fighter 1 & 2 sold together? GAF said you can't have more than one game take a numbered spot.¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I know Grandia was released on Playstation but I would have really enjoyed it on the Saturn. I'm a sucker for that long box.

MikeMyers

So I watched that video, trying to make a list:
01. Sakura Taisen
02. Grandia
03. Evangelion?
04. Virtua Fighter 2
05. Panzer Dragoon Zwei
06. Nights into Dreams
07. Sega Rally Championship
08. ???
09. J. League Go Go Goal!
10. Mobile Suit Gundam

Not sure what they were talking about for 3, 8, and 9.

For the record, here's GAF's top 10 Saturn games in comparison:
01. Panzer Dragoon Saga
02. NiGHTS Into Dreams...
03. Virtua Fighter 2
04. Shining Force III
05. Sega Rally Championship
06. Panzer Dragoon Zwei
07. Radiant Silvergun
08. Daytona USA
09. Guardian Heroes
10. X-Men vs. Street Fighter

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
So I watched that video, trying to make a list:
01. Sakura Taisen
02. Grandia
03. Evangelion?
04. Virtua Fighter 2
05. Panzer Dragoon Zwei
06. Nights into Dreams
07. Sega Rally Championship
08. ???
09. J. League Go Go Goal!
10. Mobile Suit Gundam

Not sure what they were talking about for 3, 8, and 9.

01. Panzer Dragoon Saga
02. NiGHTS Into Dreams...
03. Virtua Fighter 2
04. Shining Force III
05. Sega Rally Championship
06. Panzer Dragoon Zwei
07. Radiant Silvergun
08. Daytona USA
09. Guardian Heroes
10. X-Men vs. Street Fighter
Haha, it's in the information for the video man!

10. Mobile Suit Gundam: Gihren's Greed
9. J. League Pro Soccer Club o Tsukurou! / J. League 2
8. Sound Novel Machi
7. Sega Rally Championship
6. NiGHTS into Dreams
5. Panzer Dragoon / Panzer Dragoon Zwei
4. Virtua Fighter / Virtua Fighter 2
3. Super Robot Wars F / Super Robot Wars F Final
2. GRANDIA
1. Sakura Wars / Sakura Wars 2

also omg i did not know you could do that akira combo off of that throw @ 3:37

MikeMyers

Ah ok. I could have sworn that robot in number 3 is from Evangelion.

Speaking of Evagelion, I could have sworn they played VF on the Saturn on that show.

piggychan

Ah ok. I could have sworn that robot in number 3 is from Evangelion.

Speaking of Evagelion, I could have sworn they played VF on the Saturn on that show.

I think SEGA had some involvement with the original evangelion tv series

Super Robot wars is a game series that involve a cross over of a lot of mecha animes/manga and video games into one universe.

MikeMyers

Best girl confirmed.

I remember the Saturn appearing in Malcolm in the Middle, Malcolm's friend Stevie had one and Malcolm mocked it.

Also appears in some Kevin Smith films as well as Dead Man on Campus with that Saved by the Bell guy.

MikeMyers

Just watched the episode:

12202485_10205335970618470_2049104044_n.jpg

Game she appears to be playing is Winning Fighter, which is probably a reference to Virtua Fighter.

Teknoman

I agree, Sonic R blew my mind back in the day.
I also used to listen to the ost a lot, the convenience of saturn game discs also doubling as music cds.
As for Sonic into Dreams, playing as Sonic gives the boss fight a slightly different twist so there's that. He's also faster than the normal characters.
I was happy with it since I'd cling to anything that made the wait for a true 3D sonic easier.
God only knows how many hours I spent in that 3D level in Sonic Jam, another one of the Saturn's most impressive technical achievements btw,

As much as it pains me to say it, I've never played it. I wish Sega would throw this old PD fan a bone and put it on steam.
Couldn't justify getting a Xbox just for this game, there was nothing else on the system that interested me,

Get it for Outrun 2, Shenmue 2 (unless you already have the Dreamcast game) Jet Set Radio Future, Spikeout, Breakdown.

MikeMyers

I always thought it was pretty odd how SEGA never ported the original Spikeout
and Virtua Fighter 3
to Dreamcast.

Thought about buying a 360 to play some of the OG Xbox Sega games.

Also, is it me, or do the controls feel off in the Nights remake compared to the Saturn original?

D.Lo

01. Panzer Dragoon Saga
When was this lol? How many people voted?

I find it extremely hard to believe that a large number of people have actually played through a $500+ game, of which only a few thousand copies exist outside Japan.

I feel like I'm a pretty hardcore Saturn fan and collector (I have maybe 60 games?) but I certainly can't afford that game!

I suspect with voting lists, particularly those that are public, sometimes people vote for 'prestige' items to make themselves look cultured and clever. Heck I think I'm guilty of it sometimes. Maybe in this case it was a small sample space so could be genuine, but I think it happens a lot.

gelf

When was this lol? How many people voted?

I find it extremely hard to believe that a large number of people have actually played through a $500+ game, of which only a few thousand copies exist outside Japan.

I suspect with voting lists, particularly those that are public, sometimes people vote for 'prestige' items to make themselves look cultured and clever. Maybe in this case it was a small sample space so could be genuine, but I think it happens a lot.
If its the vote I remember then Panzer Saga won thanks to a small number of votes but most people who voted for it put it at number 1 weighting it higher. This was part of a generation wide poll though so many people didn't even have one Saturn game in their lists. A Saturn only poll would likely turn out differently.

D.Lo

If its the vote I remember then Panzer Saga won thanks to a small number of votes but most people who voted for it put it at number 1 weighting it higher. This was part of a generation wide poll though. A Saturn only one would likely turn out differently.
Ah that could make sense.

Still, I will never own that game :(

MikeMyers

Shall we do another one, this one by SaturnGAF? I think, unlike the MD/Genesis one, we shouldn't make a new thread since there's no anniversary coming up. Would be cool to see what the people in this thread especially would vote.

Morfeo

I always thought it was pretty odd how SEGA never ported the original Spikeout
and Virtua Fighter 3
to Dreamcast.

Thought about buying a 360 to play some of the OG Xbox Sega games.

Also, is it me, or do the controls feel off in the Nights remake compared to the Saturn original?

I wouldnt get a 360 to play OG Xbox games. I tried to play a few on mine, and ended up getting a real Xbox myself thanks to the terrible performance of the backwards compatability.

MikeMyers

Well mainly I was just gonna get DoA, Ninja Gaiden Black, and Panzer Dragoon Orta. Do they run fine?

Also I'm down to make a top 10 if you guys are.

Morfeo

Well mainly I was just gonna get DoA, Ninja Gaiden Black, and Panzer Dragoon Orta. Do they run fine?

Also I'm down to make a top 10 if you guys are.

Havent really tried any of them with the 360, so wouldnt know. But there are way more games on it worth playing, just go all in and get the original, and you will be safe :)

Im always up for voting on lists!

MikeMyers

What else do you recommend? Or at least PM me if we are getting off-track here.

My Top 10:
01. Nights into Dreams
02. Virtua Fighter 2
03. Fighters Megamix
04. Panzer Dragoon Zwei
05. X-Men Vs. Street Fighter
06. Street Fighter Alpha 2
07. Virtua Cop
08. Die Hard Arcade
09. Sonic 3D Blast
10. Sega Rally Championship

Will give everyone at least a week to vote, and yes, I like 3D Blast.

Celine

My Top 10:

01. Daytona USA CE (JAP)
02. Sega Rally
03. NiGHTS into the dream
04. Elevator Action Returns
05. Panzer Dragon Zwei
06. Virtua Fighter 2
07. Bubble Symphony
08. Street Fighter Zero 2
09. Die Hard Arcade
10. Darius Gaiden

Dat Sega/Taito domination :-D

I think Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers is awesome but I've only played the translated 3DS remake.

Ah that could make sense.

Still, I will never own that game :(
More importantly, have you had a chance to play it at least?

My top Saturn games fluctuate. Mostly from the arcade titles, so it's different every month. Right now I'm playing a lot of Virtua Cop 1 & 2 so I would put them higher than they should be.

Morfeo

What else do you recommend? Or at least PM me if we are getting off-track here.

Well, it depends on what you like of course, but here are some games I like:

the four Splinter Cell games. Especially Chaos Theory is great. The PC-versions are probably better, but the Xbox-versions are more convenient and future-proof.
Halo 1-2
Fable
Kotor 1-2
Ninja Gaiden Black
All the amazing Sega games, Orta, Jet Set Radio, Outrun, Gun Valkyrie, Crazy Taxi, Shenmue 2,
Multiplatts from the gen that has the best version like Beyond Good and Evil, Sands of Time, Crimson Skies, Psychonauts, Riddick and Burnout,
Tons more

D.Lo

Hmm favourite Saturn games hmm...

Based on play time, gotta be Street Fighter Zero 2.

Xbox rocked. All 4 Gen6 systems were worth owning imo.
Generally true of the top four of any generation, that was just the first generation where there weren't like 18 consoles.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Hmmm

1 Virtua Fighter 2
2 Panzer Dragoon Zwei
3 Galactic Attack
4 OutRun
5 Shining Force III
6 Panzer Dragoon Saga
7 Fighters Megamix
8 Metal Black
9 Daytona USA
10 Batsugun

D.Lo

Only gen I bothered to own all systems. Sega exclusives being scattered everywhere had a major influence on that though. It must have been a shame for any Sega fan who couldn't own them all.
OMG yes that pissed me off.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Since we're doing this... hmm. Tentative list:

1. Panzer Dragoon Saga (insert gloating at how cheap I bought it 15 years ago XD)
2. Shining Force III (trilogy, otherwise they'll take 3 spots xD)
3. Guardian Heroes
4. NiGHTS Into Dreams
5. Legend of Oasis
6. Panzer Dragoon Zwei
7. Shining the Holy Ark
8. Powerslave/Exhumed
9. Night Warriors: Darkstalkers' Revenge
10. Dragon Force

Honourable mentions:
x. Panzer Dragoon
x. Astal
x. Princess Crown
x. Rayman (disclaimer: I only played the PSX version, I assume the Saturn version is identical)
x. Earthworm Jim 2
x. Burning Rangers
x. Radiant Silvergun (good game I'm just so rubbish at shmups)
x. Galactic Attack/Layer Section (ditto)

Own, but still need to play:
?. Wachenröder
?. Princess Crown (I did play it a little so I also listed it above, and loved what I did play, but the language barrier is just too strong even with a FAQ... sigh)

IrishNinja

wanna join in the fun but i still have to finish Albert, D & Burning Rangers, and start MKR, Dragon Force, SF III & numerous others...ill be back on this one

x. Rayman (disclaimer: I only played the PSX version, I assume the Saturn version is identical)
Mostly. There's some extra transitions between stages that aren't in the PS1 version, to my understanding, and the victory music is better on the Saturn version (more flourish than just the dinky little "ding", anyway). PS1 version has more esoteric cheats, though (like that picture-in-picture one that 10-year-old me thought sounded neat as hell but 27-year-old me thinks was kinda pointless in retrospect).

piggychan

That top 10 list needs; Saturn Bomberman, japanese Fighting Vipers (just for pepsi man) and Fighters Megamix so you can see how AM2's graphic libraries evolved. I also feel that Dead of Alive is much better than AM2s efforts just technically the 3D is much more solid.

I also would like to add Silhoette Mirage but the gameplay is a hit and miss for some people but just so you can unlock the debug mode and see the 2D shit that the Saturn could throw around.

Vampire Hunter should also get a mention despite having some long ass loading times the amount of stuff Capcom just crammed into this game is amazing. this is definitely a game that shows the love Capcom had for this console !

MikeMyers

Hmm favourite Saturn games hmm...

Based on play time, gotta be Street Fighter Zero 2.

Generally true of the top four of any generation, that was just the first generation where there weren't like 18 consoles.
How about the other 9?

Only gen I bothered to own all systems. Sega exclusives being scattered everywhere had a major influence on that though. It must have been a shame for any Sega fan who couldn't own them all.
They really should have put every game on both GC and Xbox and just ignored the DC stand, lol.

I guess I'll post mine

1. Panzer Dragoon Saga
2. Fighters MegaMix
3. Saturn Bomberman
4. Panzer Dragoon II: Zwei
5. Guardian Heroes
6. Virtua Fighter 2
7. Die Hard Arcade
8. Albert Odyssey: Legend of Eldean
9. Virtua Cop 2
10. Daytona USA

HM

NiGHTS into Dreams... <-------Would be higher but I suck at it.
House of the Dead
Virtual On: Cyber Troopers
Darius Gaiden

Own but on the back burner still
Shining the Holy Arc
Dragon Force

Wait, what?

I just got married so I only was able to run with the Gamecube and Xbox.

MikeMyers

Well, it depends on what you like of course, but here are some games I like:

the four Splinter Cell games. Especially Chaos Theory is great. The PC-versions are probably better, but the Xbox-versions are more convenient and future-proof.
Halo 1-2
Fable
Kotor 1-2
Ninja Gaiden Black
All the amazing Sega games, Orta, Jet Set Radio, Outrun, Gun Valkyrie, Crazy Taxi, Shenmue 2,
Multiplatts from the gen that has the best version like Beyond Good and Evil, Sands of Time, Crimson Skies, Psychonauts, Riddick and Burnout,
Tons more
I'm sure those games are good, but the only one that appeals to my tastes are probably Ninja Gaiden Black and the Sega stuff.

Project Gotham
Crimson Skies High Road to Revenge
Mech Assault 1 & 2
Might try PGR though.

So apparently the newest AVGN covers a Saturn game for once - The Crow, specifically.
Glad Saturn is getting exposure, but not sure if it should be for its bad games, lol.

Fair enough, funny enough I got the Gamecube and Xbox before the PS2(which I got last and late in the gen).

I was a big PC player so going right to Xbox, just felt right. Plus I was following Halo when it moved from PC to Xbox. I remember that game was labeled "The Half Life Killer" by several mags. When I picked up my PS3 I grabbed a lot of the remasters. Ratchet & Clank Sly Cooper, God of War. Even still, I don't really play them lol.

Top Bottom