• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Timu

For the Street Fighter Collection, the PlayStation ports of the Super Street Fighter II games are some of the best out there, and are apparently better than the Saturn versions, which have slowdown and I think slightly stretched sprites or something along those lines. There was discussion about it here like a year or two ago.

From what I read here and on other sites, it's basically Dreamcast > PlayStation > Saturn.

It's a bit hard to believe, because the Saturn is made for 2D, but it seems like the messed up a little bit on the Saturn version. It's still pretty good, though, but the PlayStation version is better.

I own the PlayStation version, and it's great. I play it on a PlayStation 2 with fast loading on, on a CRT with component cables and a MAS arcade stick, and it feels pretty much like playing the arcade version. I originally wanted to get the Saturn version when I bought it (sometime in the late '90s), but I guess it's good that I ended up with the PlayStation version instead.

Street Fighter Collection also comes with Street Fighter Alpha 2 Gold, but I never looked up how the two versions compare. I only played the PlayStation version a bit, since I have regular Alpha 2 on Saturn, but it seemed pretty good from what I can remember.

Stuff like X-Men vs. Street Fighter and its follow ups are missing a lot of stuff on PlayStation. No tag! Always go with the Saturn and Dreamcast versions of those.
Weird, some say the Saturn version is better, but maybe I should try the PS1 version.

DSP thinks so too ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dark Syde Phil?

I know, but that costs money you know. :p
There's one to use Saturn controllers for 30 bucks!!!

IrishNinja

god, i ended up with the weirdest controller adapters from various lots: an SNES on genesis one, a SNES on GC one (that one's cool for GB player especially), a PS on DC one (i imagine this is good for fighters/etc), few other odd bits. i've not used them enough to say about compatibility/response etc though, but yeah, a use-the-saturn-on-everything one would be awesome

MikeMyers

god, i ended up with the weirdest controller adapters from various lots: an SNES on genesis one, a SNES on GC one (that one's cool for GB player especially), a PS on DC one (i imagine this is good for fighters/etc), few other odd bits. i've not used them enough to say about compatibility/response etc though, but yeah, a use-the-saturn-on-everything one would be awesome

I always thought the PlayStation d-pad was good for Namco fighters, so it'd be good for when you play Soul Calibur and Tekken 3 on DC.

IrishNinja

Tekken 3 on DC...did that work well on bleemcast? i remember my roommate doing MGS & Gran Tursimo (i wanna say 2?), but never saw others. i found a disc online once that said Strider 2 bleemcast but ran like butt

IrishNinja

well, that looked fantastic, as expected - i played the shit out of it on PS, but it's been forever...did it seem like it was running a bit slower to anyone else?

jerry1594

Weird, some say the Saturn version is better, but maybe I should try the PS1 version.

Dark Syde Phil?
PS is pretty much unanimously agreed to be better than Saturn. And yes, Dark syde Phil. I don't know all the details but basically I think he bragged about having been a pro SF2 player, and then one Evo he beat Mike Watson and John Choi because they ran it on the ps1 version and he owned and practiced on that version while Watson and Choi are arcade players. It became a running joke later on that DSP was a pro player.
Bonus: him bitching and trying to overstate the inaccuracies of the Dreamcast port while saying CCC Vol. 2 was better. he's the deleted user (also an informative thread)
http://forums.shoryuken.com/discuss...bout-dreamcast-vs-arcade-gameplay-differences
Basically there is no good port of ST, Dreamcast comes closest. At this point the community went back to arcade via the consolized CPS-2 and superguns.

PS is pretty much unanimously agreed to be better than Saturn. And yes, Dark syde Phil. I don't know all the details but basically I think he bragged about having been a pro SF2 player, and then one Evo he beat Mike Watson and John Choi because they ran it on the ps1 version and he owned and practiced on that version while Watson and Choi are arcade players. It became a running joke later on that DSP was a pro player.
Bonus: him bitching and trying to overstate the inaccuracies of the Dreamcast port while saying CCC Vol. 2 was better. he's the deleted user (also an informative thread)
http://forums.shoryuken.com/discuss...bout-dreamcast-vs-arcade-gameplay-differences
Basically there is no good port of ST, Dreamcast comes closest. At this point the community went back to arcade via the consolized CPS-2 and superguns.
I wish they made an as close as possible to arcade ST release by M2 or someone instead of HDR last gen.

entremet

I hear the Alpha ports on PSX were bad, but they didn't seem to bad for me.

The Vs games were awful ports though.

Alpha 3 was much improved due to their tricks used. I think the hit detection was done in 3D, with sprites wrapped above them. This helped save memory usage.

A3 had more frames of animations than the previous PSX Alphas, but still missed some.

PSX Alpha 1/2 were alright ports, but not as good as the Saturn ones.

Loading kills both Saturn and PSX ports.

We did get the Alpha Anthology, but it's 480i, not 240p, which blurs the sprites.

piggychan

Here's a video of Tekken 3 Dreamcast

It always bugged me how Sega outsourced VF3 Dreamcast. I mean, if they were gonna do that, they might as have just released Saturn VF3 instead.

haha have you ever seen that glitch in Dreamcast version of VF3? it's on Shun Di's stage and requires someone heavy. If you goto one end of the the stage the one with the rocking boat and keep jumping up eventually that boat will overturn and everyone ends up in the air. I know it's in the japanese version but unsure if it was fixed for the western releases.

Ah that also reminded me of the rumor that VF3 was also heading to Saturn..

tumblr_ny6ls9YTGY1u62ds5o1_1280.jpg

twentyfirth

MikeMyers

haha have you ever seen that glitch in Dreamcast version of VF3? it's on Shun Di's stage and requires someone heavy. If you goto one end of the the stage the one with the rocking boat and keep jumping up eventually that boat will overturn and everyone ends up in the air. I know it's in the japanese version but unsure if it was fixed for the western releases.

Ah that also reminded me of the rumor that VF3 was also heading to Saturn..
VF3 was confirmed for Saturn, it got moved to Dreamcast along with Shenmue and Sonic Adventure.

Still, we got Fighters Megamix, so it's all good.

Khaz

How good a fighting game is Golden Axe: the duel? I remember it being panned by the critics at the time, but mainly because it was a spin-off when everybody was waiting for a new main entry. I spent some time playing the demo, but it was way too limited.

MikeMyers

twentyfirth
Happy Birthday! Thank you for letting me play all those awesome arcade games, Mr. Saturn!

Alpha 3 was much improved due to their tricks used. I think the hit detection was done in 3D, with sprites wrapped above them. This helped save memory usage.

A3 had more frames of animations than the previous PSX Alphas, but still missed some.

PSX Alpha 1/2 were alright ports, but not as good as the Saturn ones.

Loading kills both Saturn and PSX ports.

We did get the Alpha Anthology, but it's 480i, not 240p, which blurs the sprites.
Ah I see. The loading times dont seem as bad as the MK games on here though. Now that's just a >.<

D.Lo

Golden Axe: The Duel isn't too bad. Nice animations, silly 80s looking characters.

It's a good B-grade fighter, like World Heroes Jet level. Maybe a bit better, Maybe Fatal Fury level (pre-Real Bout).

Tekken 3 on DC...did that work well on bleemcast? i remember my roommate doing MGS & Gran Tursimo (i wanna say 2?), but never saw others. i found a disc online once that said Strider 2 bleemcast but ran like butt

The 'official' releases were Bleemcast for Metal Gear Solid, Gran Turismo 2 and Tekken 3. Somebody leaked a beta version of Bleemcast that could run multiple games though, so that's what somebody is selling/sharing online with other PS1 games bundled.

MikeMyers

My memory is foggy but I feel like I recall seeing that around. The original Tomb Raider will always be a Saturn game to me.
Yeah it was great.

Apparently the guy who directed the first one was a massive SEGA fanboy. I think he left after the first one.

IrishNinja

The 'official' releases were Bleemcast for Metal Gear Solid, Gran Turismo 2 and Tekken 3. Somebody leaked a beta version of Bleemcast that could run multiple games though, so that's what somebody is selling/sharing online with other PS1 games bundled.

ahh explains why i only remember seeing those at EB, and years later those are the ones that run decent too!

Conezays

New pickups Sunday! Guardian Heroes, Shining Wisdom, Bomberman Fight, and Enemy Zero CIB for $80 CDN. Not bad for a hungover purchase, Lol.

gelf

Yeah it was great.

Apparently the guy who directed the first one was a massive SEGA fanboy. I think he left after the first one.
Core Design seemed to have a great relationship with Sega in general until Sony secured Tomb Raider exclusively for TR2.

On the subject of Core. Does anyone know why Fighting Force was cancelled on the Saturn? It seems like it was at an advanced stage. Not that it was a big loss in the end, it just seems weird it never made it out. Was there a falling out after Sega rejected it as a new SOR? If that's what happened.

MikeMyers

Core Design seemed to have a great relationship with Sega in general until Sony secured Tomb Raider exclusively for TR2.

On the subject of Core. Does anyone know why Fighting Force was cancelled on the Saturn? It seems like it was at an advanced stage. Not that it was a big loss in the end, it just seems weird it never made it out. Was there a falling out after Sega rejected it as a new SOR? If that's what happened.
Did Sony really secure exclusivity? From what wikipedia leads me to believe the Saturn version was already cancelled before any contracts were signed.

It's a shame Eidos turned Core into a Tomb Raider factory though. Could have been so much more.

Fighting Force 2 was on Dreamcast, they probably just cancelled the Saturn version because it was dead in the Western market.

Galdelico

Golden Axe: The Duel isn't too bad. Nice animations, silly 80s looking characters.

It's a good B-grade fighter, like World Heroes Jet level. Maybe a bit better, Maybe Fatal Fury level (pre-Real Bout).

This is spot on, in my opinion. And, on top of that, it has some of the most Saturn-y 2D graphics I can think of... Chunky, vibrant and sharp.
I LOVE Golden Axe on the whole, so I'm attached to The Duel more than I should, but it's not as terrible as I've read in some places. Oh, and I always point this out, everytime the game gets mentioned: at least the Japanese version isn't compatible with the analogue NiGHTS pad. It won't even boot up, if it's plugged into your console.

Talking about obscure 'gems', I'm thinking about Final Fight Revenge alot, lately. The RAM box is out of question, but the regular edition could be my treat for Christmas... Is it at least decent or I would just regret it? :D

Galdelico

Isn't Final Fight Revenge meant to be really expensive?
The bundle with the RAM cart is out of reach, but the regular edition still pops out with 'decent' prices, every now and then.

I stopped following the new consoles after the PS3/360, so I only keep buying retrogames to fill up holes in my collection, and I like to treat myself with some nice item every once in a while... Speaking of the Saturn, I got the Street Fighter Zero 3 RAM box, plus the KoF Best Collection set, last summer.
That said, I would never burn that money for a crappy game, and Final Fight Revenge is one of those you read anything about.

jerry1594

Final Fight is absolutely not worth it. It sucks. I thought 300-400 was the 'reasonable' neighborhood, goddamn at the ram cart prices. If you're a rich middle easterner with money stacks to shower on people, go ahead. The game sucks so the most satisfaction you'll get from it is probably just having it and looking at it sometimes.

Galdelico

Final Fight is absolutely not worth it. It sucks. I thought 300-400 was the 'reasonable' neighborhood, goddamn at the ram cart prices. If you're a rich middle easterner with money stacks to shower on people, go ahead. The game sucks so the most satisfaction you'll get from it is probably just having it and looking at it sometimes.
Haha not at all, my pockets ain't remotely as deep. :D
No, I just have quite a few rare/expensive games on my wishlist, and FFR happens to be one of them. I'm playing with my Saturn alot at the moment, so the games for the system are climbing my Christmas chart. :)

That said, doesn't seem like FFR is especially hot... I may just star looking at Tempo or Akumajo Dracula.

Gyrian

These arrived today, just in time to break me away from Battlefront!
I'm very curious to try the original Virtua Fighter. It didn't seem to get much of a kind reception, but if it's close enough to the model 1 original then that is all I'm looking for. Don't mind the flat polys either, it's got the right kind of AM2 charm regardless!
As for SNK on the Saturn, I'm expecting very good things. Back in the day, I was trying these out on Playstation and loved them plenty. The Saturn versions should do even better from there!

BuQ2A1S.gif

Galdelico

These arrived today, just in time to break me away from Battlefront!
I'm very curious to try the original Virtua Fighter. It didn't seem to get much of a kind reception, but if it's close enough to the model 1 original then that is all I'm looking for. Don't mind the flat polys either, it's got the right kind of AM2 charm regardless!
As for SNK on the Saturn, I'm expecting very good things. Back in the day, I was trying these out on Playstation and loved them plenty. The Saturn versions should do even better from there!

BuQ2A1S.gif

Eh, don't expect too much from Fatal Fury 3... It came before the RAM cart golden age of arcade ports, and it doesn't compare well with the original game. My personal suggestion is to grab the Real Bout Best Collection, since both Real Bout and Real Bout Special got ported way much better than 3.
On the other hand, I LOVE The King of Fighters '96, it's easily my favourite KoF on the Saturn.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
For the first time in years, I feel like I wanna play some Saturn. Might even buy a couple new games. I miss this fucking thing.

Kinda regret getting into the game so late. I didn't own a Saturn until 2008, and shit was already pretty expensive then. Nothing like it is now, but still...

I guess that in a way, it kinda makes it more satisfying when I do get something new.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Yeah, I should. Stupid thing is, a couple of the games I have (like Battle Garegga) I haven't actually even played that much of.

Top Bottom