• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Conezays

Yeah, sometimes my RAM Cart wont load at the start-up screen, and sometimes it will crash during X-Men Vs. SF. Usually I just turn the system off, pull the cart out and put it back in, and it works again. Probably not the best way to go about it, though.

Yeah that's pretty bad, definitely not how it's meant to be.
Relatively cheapest option is to get your hands on a official 4mb cart and test. Though I assume you use the ar for imports... Hmmm.

No those options aren't your problem.

Thanks for the replies, guys, it's much appreciated. I have a few more games en route, including X-Men Vs. Street Fighter, so I figure I'll wait a bit before doing something like replacing the cart. And yeah, the majority of games are imported :p Given the Action Replay has worked flawlessly booting up everything else, my only assumption can be that it has something to do with the 4MB option. Not sure if the disc was scratched at all if it would perform like this.

As MikeMyers mentioned, if it's an isolated issue and just involves a reset once in awhile, it might just be easier to grin and bear it.

On a positive note, am I alone in finding the credits music amazing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_f_VGdsOKo&list=PLc5RInQl-AJww9UqKG0pA6icqcFOH3ZKX&index=58

Update: Well I played through the game 3 separate times across my LCD and CRT TV's with zero glitches. Only did some minor dusting and adjusted the cartridge slightly but so far so good; very relieved!

Die Hard Arcade/Dynamite Deka has aged rather poorly. Used to love that game.

Poorly in what way? Gameplay, graphics, controls? Really the only thing that irritates me is the audio tracks changing during the cutscenes. For a 3D beat-em up I think it's pretty good considering the time it came out. Same with the graphics.

FDBK

I just recently purchased a used JP Sega Saturn console. Never owned one before at the time they were sold retail and was very much pro-Sony at the time. Really great first impressions of the console after booting up and playing Battle Garegga and then Fighters Megamix. The console's a keeper, and it will be yet another console I'll be trying to build at least a modest collection for.

Tain

Dynamite Deka is slow and has weird animations, but the movelist is big and there's so much scene/item/enemy variety and it's a good challenge. I really like it.

There doesn't seem to be many BEU from that era, at least compared to 16-bit gen.

There are some around, but I agree, not as much as the 16-bit days. Probably harder to develop because of 3D. Probably why everything I listed below in 2D, with the exception of DH.

Three Dirty Dwarves
Guardian Heroes
Die Hard Arcade
Batman Forever: The Arcade game
Nekketsu Oyako
Tenchi O Kurau II
PuLiRuLa
Crows: The Battle Action <---------------- This one looks cool, anyone play it?
Princess Crown

I just recently purchased a used JP Sega Saturn console. Never owned one before at the time they were sold retail and was very much pro-Sony at the time. Really great first impressions of the console after booting up and playing Battle Garegga and then Fighters Megamix. The console's a keeper, and it will be yet another console I'll be trying to build at least a modest collection for.

Nice another Saturn playa. My collection of Saturn games is a lot bigger than the PS1. I love it! I know I'm crazy & if you need game recommendations just ask us.

I think fighting against the CPU is completely worthless in fighting games and I resent having unlocks trapped behind boring CPU fights.

All it does is teach you how to play better against the CPU, which doesn't translate at all to playing well against a human opponent.

Fighters MegaMix does this, they lock half of the roster behind beating courses. Doing unlock in Killer Instinct is slow as hell, unless you gots the $$$$$$

gelf

I only ever had one friend who liked fighting games and he mostly preferred playing Mortal Kombat over what I wanted to play so I learned to love fighting the AI. I got many hours of enjoyment from Virtua Fighter 4 and 5s quest modes and wish all fighting games had something like that.

I know its little preparation for human opponents though but I'm never gonna be a great player anyway.

IrishNinja

Die Hard Arcade/Dynamite Deka has aged rather poorly. Used to love that game.

disagree, personally - revisit both from time to time

Three Dirty Dwarves
Guardian Heroes
Die Hard Arcade
Batman Forever: The Arcade game
Nekketsu Oyako
Tenchi O Kurau II
PuLiRuLa
Crows: The Battle Action <---------------- This one looks cool, anyone play it?
Princess Crown

nice list, gotta try some of the imports! got to play Crows recently, it's not bad (and looks cool) but is totally not worth the price these days, my opinion

Khaz

IMG_6001.png

Now this is how you play Bomberman. Gotta be jealous of those kids. Source (fr)

Now this is how you play Bomberman. Gotta be jealous of those kids. Source (fr)

Translated for those who don't speaka the french.

On 7 and 8 November 2015 , the town of Villepreux , Yvelines, organized the first edition of the Games Festival . This event aimed to introduce the game world as many children and adults .

Shadow of the Beast , with its gorgeous graphics, F-Zero GX and furious races , or Rayman, attracted both parents and children. We think especially to a young visitor who is now surely to the cause of shoot'em up with old, judging by its application on R-Type !

In addition to spaces dedicated to board games, role-playing games , or games of skill, included a video game area , the organization and facilitation were provided by us. On this occasion , 10 of the terminals of the Paris Games Week 2015 were present, in addition to traditional Saturn Bomberman on a giant screen .

A big thank you to the town of Villepreux and all visitors, nostalgic or simply curious, who visited our space.

BTails

Hopefully it has velcro on the bottom or something keeping it in place, let's not all worry too much...

...Also, fun fact, my PSX has velcro strips on the bottom as my father used to take it on ship when he was still in the Canadian Navy. Came back from places in Asia with many a pirated game that he would buy for 50 cents, haha.

IrishNinja

so jelly, i wanna do 10p bombermannnnn

the one time i saw a 10-player bomberman setup was a a small game convention and they only had 2-3 people at a time playing tops.

tragic
just like that arcade odyssey Typing of the Dead tourney i tried to go to but got canceled for lack of participants =/

D.Lo

Don't worry. Even if it falls the Saturn can fly, unlike that other plaything.
It still has a CD drive.

N64 on the other hand, I saw literally fly across a room, and crash land upside down on tiles, during a massive cord trip on an all night college session. Game continued playing.

MikeMyers

It still has a CD drive.

N64 on the other hand, I saw literally fly across a room, and crash land upside down on tiles, during a massive cord trip on an all night college session. Game continued playing.
It was a reference to the US Nights into Dreams commercial.

D.Lo

It was a reference to the US Nights into Dreams commercial.
Ah, I thought you were getting at PSX reliability issues.

I remember the joke about how at least you didn't have to turn the Saturn upside down to read games. What I never understood was how Sony, of all companies, could get a CD drive so wrong.

That racing game is made by Cave!

It's more an 'engine tweaking' sim, from the original explosion of mountain drift racing in Japan.

Ha, that's good to know. It's too bad the game just doesn't play well; the framerate is awful and the handling model is neither fun nor realistic.

FDBK

Nice another Saturn playa. My collection of Saturn games is a lot bigger than the PS1. I love it! I know I'm crazy & if you need game recommendations just ask us.

Thanks!!! After lots of time looking at many Saturn game recs over at many forums and sites, I have already compiled a list of just-under 100 Saturn titles to look for, with about a 50/50 split between NA and JP titles. And I'm always on the look for more Saturn games to add to my to-get list!

I have a question on the tech side about the Thunder Force compilation games. Were all of the ports from both Thunder Force packs (more specifically the MD/Gen games) rewritten or modified in some way in order to function better based on Saturn's architecture? I ask since I've read that Thunder Force IV on Pack 2 has much less slowdown as compared to its original MD/Genesis version. And I own and have played TF4/Lightening Force for the Genesis, and I know there's lots of slowdown across the board (literally as well?) during gameplay whenever there would be so much going on at the same time. So this must mean that developers certainly considered and not completely overlooked Saturn hardware specs while developing Pack 2, if at the very least for just TF4. Have all of the titles been reworked similarly?

UMGAWA

Ha, that's good to know. It's too bad the game just doesn't play well; the framerate is awful and the handling model is neither fun nor realistic.

Don't feel too bad, you're not the only person to get drawn into the awesome cover art expecting greatness..

*sigh*

MikeMyers

Thanks!!! After lots of time looking at many Saturn game recs over at many forums and sites, I have already compiled a list of just-under 100 Saturn titles to look for, with about a 50/50 split between NA and JP titles. And I'm always on the look for more Saturn games to add to my to-get list!

What genres do you like? I'll add some recommendations.

Make sure you get NiGHTS with the 3D Controller. Best game ever. <3

Conezays

Well, not sure what happened last night, but as I loaded up some of my new games I started having issues getting to the game's Start Menu. The system would repeatedly turn to black and require powering off on a few different games. Frustrated, I checked the Action Replay menu to find that much of my saved games on the internal memory were either gone or written in garbled language. Thankfully, most of the games are arcadey and I'd backed up most of the stuff on the AR, but I lost my 7 hour Dark Savior save :( (managed to recover a 4hour save somehow though, so not all is lost :)).

Taking out the battery and putting another one in fixed the issue with the Saturn not running said games, but I'm not sure how this happened. I got a 3-pack of CR-2032's last week and changed the battery; I heard the Saturn batteries die fast, but not *this* fast.

I recently grabbed a saturn after snagging a RHEA. I've got it all setup and working but now I'm wondering about RAM carts. There are many different models. Which one do I need? Is the action replay plus the best option?

I recently grabbed a saturn after snagging a RHEA. I've got it all setup and working but now I'm wondering about RAM carts. There are many different models. Which one do I need? Is the action replay plus the best option?

I use this one, the 4m plus

Just know that you have to transfer save data back-and-forth between the cart and your system memory. You can't save directly. I believe it detects which ram is needed. 1mb 4mb.

Top Bottom