• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Galdelico

You will need a Japanese Wii of course. I don't know how you pay for it, meaning I don't know if it takes Japanese credit cards only.

I don't know if you're talking about windjammers, but I've seen some people say they can use their own credit cards and only get charged a small tax. If not your only choice is buying a japanese points which is annoyingly are like 200% more expensive. You don't need a Japanese wii though, just the homebrew channel and AnyRegionChanger
Thanks guys!

How do you guys feel about opening brand new games above a high price threshold? At that point just burn it on a disk and play that?
I'm a collector too, but... Hunting down a rare item, find it in the best conditions, at the price you ultimately want to pay, you finally get it in your hands and then... You play it on a filthy CDR? It's like having a Ferrari in your garage, yet driving around with a Panda. :D

That said, can I ask you what are the games? I assume you're not one of those collectors who only get sealed items, with the sole purpose of keeping them sealed, so it's hard to suggest you what to do... Are you talking about a copy of Astra Superstars you're keeping sealed for personal reasons, or a brand new Taromaru you've got for 2 bucks at a yard sale? :)

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Agreed, Saturn Rayman has by far the better controller, fantastic graphics and CD music. Don't let those Jaguar weirdos fool you.

What about the PS1-version? I played that a few years ago and though it was fine, but never played it on the Saturn.

About opening games, yeah I do that as well, or resell them if they are worth enough. No point owning stuff without opening it imo.

MikeMyers

I thought Rayman on PSX was fine. Although I never had a problem with PSX 2D outside of certain Capcom fighters. To be honest, I never really had a problem with Saturn 3D either. Guess I'm just not as picky.

Galdelico

I thought Rayman on PSX was fine. Although I never had a problem with PSX 2D outside of certain Capcom fighters. To be honest, I never really had a problem with Saturn 3D either. Guess I'm just not as picky.
Or you're fine, and you just played fine games on both systems. :)
It's not like there's too much to complain about Gunners Heaven on the PS, or Dead or Alive for the Saturn.

MikeMyers

Haha. Come to think about it, outside of Capcom fighters, most of my favorite games on the system are 3D (NiGHTS, Die Hard Arcade, and the AM2 games).

Still salty that we never got an accurate port of Mortal Kombat 2, since that is my favorite MK game. Guess it makes sense that the MK ports on the system were cheap cash-in's considering how poorly the Saturn sold in the west.

Khaz

This talk about Sega Worldwide soccer made me play Road to Win today, the latest, Japanese only, football game in the series on Saturn.

It's still a blast.

Khaz

Do you guys know about Gal Panic SS? It's one of those games where the player needs to uncover a picture by drawing a line over it, every time an area is closed the part of the picture underneath it is uncovered. In this sort of games the pictures are often quite naughty. Not in this one, though! You still get to uncover drawings of pretty girls, but everything is quite tame. The most revealing outfit is the occasional bikini, and there is no slutty / demeaning poses. It's also the only game in the series to have been developed for a console, which may explain why it's the tamest. In my opinion this is good, as it allows you to enjoy the gameplay without looking like a perv.

T-29002G_3,,Sega-Saturn-Screenshot-3-Gals-Panic-SS-JPN.jpg
T-29002G_4,,Sega-Saturn-Screenshot-4-Gals-Panic-SS-JPN.jpg

The game itself is quite interesting, although very easy. You start as a cursor on the side of a randomly uncovered square shape, and you can only move along the sides of the uncovered area, which can lead to some hiccup if it's uneven. However it's not detrimental as the cursor is invincible as long as it's not drawing. There is a main enemy floating around, randomly spawning smaller enemies and shooting at the player. While extra bonus can be had by circling the smaller enemies, the big one cannot be dealt the same way. If successfully circled, the outside part of the shape is instead uncovered, hurting the completion. The main challenge is in actually uncovering 100% of the picture, as merely finishing the stage (80%) poses no real difficulty, especially with unlimited continues. Also there is no score! Once everything is unlocked it's difficult to get back to it.

T-29002G_22,,Sega-Saturn-Screenshot-22-Gals-Panic-SS-JPN.jpg
T-29002G_32,,Sega-Saturn-Screenshot-32-Gals-Panic-SS-JPN.jpg

Overall I think it's still a good game though, especially considering its uniqueness: If you want some Qix / Gal Panic action on console, that's the game to get. It's usually listed for about $50 BIN on ebay but as usual don't be fooled, it's not worth more than half that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5OUFqKZPeQ

http://www.satakore.com/sega-saturn-game,,T-29002G,,Gals-Panic-SS-JPN.html

(I have a lot to say about how Gal Pani X is a much better game, but it's only on PC and is quite NSFW)

Galdelico

I know I'll sound like a perv :D but I always liked the mild NSFW nature of Gals Panic. I thought it was one of those very rare occasions when that worked perfectly within the game, making it memorable. And that's why I've never looked that much into the watered-down Saturn version, not to mention that the character design seems to me one of the less inspired in the whole series.

Can't believe no one came out with a similar concept for touch/mobile gaming devices... Sounds like such an easy win to me.

Khaz

Incidentally, Gal Panic SS was my 100th Saturn Game. I'm not sure how I shall feel about this.

My 101st isn't even a game, it's the Volume 10 in the CG Portrait series, Jeffry McWild. I didn't even want it, it was sold bundled with the other one (for 10€+shipping, I can't complain though.) Haven't tried it yet.

(I have a lot to say about how Gal Pani X is a much better game, but it's only on PC and is quite NSFW)

Gal Pani X is a great game! It's too bad the guy chose to use the Gal Pani name, because it's really totally different because of the unique controls; being able to freely move inside of the revealed space completely changes the game.

For those who don't know it, Gal Pani X is a freeware PC game, and it's half Qix and half the bullet-dodging element of a shmup. The mix works really well. I actually wrote a review of Gal Pani X a few months ago, but then didn't post it on GAF because the game does have lots of scantily clad anime girls. There's no nudity, unlike some of the official Gals Panic games, but there are lots of underwear pics and such in the game. It's the gameplay that makes it great, though. Someone should make a game like Gal Pani X but without the anime-girls thing, to make it more approachable for all audiences... Qix + Bullethell was an awesome idea and it's too bad that there is only one game in existence that uses it.

My review: http://www.blackfalcongames.net/?p=242 Warning: presume that there is some NSFW content, though I don't post or link to screenshots of the scantily-clad stuff.

I know I'll sound like a perv :D but I always liked the mild NSFW nature of Gals Panic. I thought it was one of those very rare occasions when that worked perfectly within the game, making it memorable. And that's why I've never looked that much into the watered-down Saturn version, not to mention that the character design seems to me one of the less inspired in the whole series.

Can't believe no one came out with a similar concept for touch/mobile gaming devices... Sounds like such an easy win to me.
Qix and Volfied/Ultimate Qix are probably better than any Gals Panic game, though, just in terms of gameplay, and it's gameplay that matters the most by far, in games. Only Gals Pani X exceeds its inspiration, and that's because of the original game mechanics it uses.

Galdelico

Gal Pani X is a great game! It's too bad the guy chose to use the Gal Pani name, because it's really totally different because of the unique controls; being able to freely move inside of the revealed space completely changes the game.

For those who don't know it, Gal Pani X is a freeware PC game, and it's half Qix and half the bullet-dodging element of a shmup. The mix works really well. I actually wrote a review of Gal Pani X a few months ago, but then didn't post it on GAF because the game does have lots of scantily clad anime girls. There's no nudity, unlike some of the official Gals Panic games, but there are lots of underwear pics and such in the game. It's the gameplay that makes it great, though. Someone should make a game like Gal Pani X but without the anime-girls thing, to make it more approachable for all audiences... Qix + Bullethell was an awesome idea and it's too bad that there is only one game in existence that uses it.

My review: http://www.blackfalcongames.net/?p=242 Warning: presume that there is some NSFW content, though I don't post or link to screenshots of the scantily-clad stuff.
Didn't know about this game, thanks for the link!

Qix and Volfied/Ultimate Qix are probably better than any Gals Panic game, though, just in terms of gameplay, and it's gameplay that matters the most by far, in games. Only Gals Pani X exceeds its inspiration, and that's because of the original game mechanics it uses.
Well, that's true on a very general extent, even though it's not that rare to fall in love with games that are far from being gameplay archetypes, yet able to suck you in thanks to some arcane blend of other elements. Gals Panic is definitely one of those, to me.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Even though I want those SNK collections, I would still like to get various Sega Saturn versions of games for that 240p goodness. Not just for the scanlines and the crisp look, but because it's easier to record with my capture card than 480i, and 480i is annoying for 2D games when it comes to image quality IMO. Plus I want to take advantage of RGB!

I should get Real Bout Fatal Fury Special on Saturn for a start.
get the ps2 compilations because theyre cheap as hell then get the superior wii vc ports of the games you like most!

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Well, after wanting it since I first became interested in buying a Saturn, I finally bought Batsugun as a birthday present to myself. It only took me 7 years.

how's Warcraft II here, no terrible loading times or anything else to know?

The game is great, animation is better than the PC version but there are 2 missing music tracks that were available in the Dark Portal expansion that iirc are not here Just checked, they're present. Also the save files are bigger than the available system memory, so you're stuck with level passwords unless you have a Memory card. Action replay won't work for obvious reasons. Load times are probably 10-15 seconds long.

Bar81

It's still a deal
if you care about shiny unopened games

Well below market for that unopened. My guess is that the seller's shipping policies artificially depressed the price on that one (and will on most JP games since the demand is just not as strong in NA for that stuff).

Danny Dudekisser

Is it? I haven't payed much attention to that disc. Not a particularly big fan of either game.

I kind of love how crazy Saturn collecting has become when I'm able to view it from a distance.

jerry1594

Hyper Duel went for a deal too. I'm not a big collector, especially of super expensive stuff but I heard BIN has really jacked up prices?

Bar81

Is it? I haven't payed much attention to that disc. Not a particularly big fan of either game.

I kind of love how crazy Saturn collecting has become when I'm able to view it from a distance.

You're missing out - X-Multiply is good stuff and Image Fight is at worst, decent. Really rare set which is why the price has been climbing.

Collecting in general has gone crazy. Can't say any decent system has not been touched. Speaking of which, I cannot express how much I hate Nintendo for using cardboard boxes. Whoever was involved should have a special place in collector's hell.

Hyper Duel went for a deal too. I'm not a big collector, especially of super expensive stuff but I heard BIN has really jacked up prices?

Not really; no spine or reg card.

IrishNinja

The game is great, animation is better than the PC version but there are 2 missing music tracks that were available in the Dark Portal expansion that iirc are not here Just checked, they're present. Also the save files are bigger than the available system memory, so you're stuck with level passwords unless you have a Memory card. Action replay won't work for obvious reasons. Load times are probably 10-15 seconds long.

awesome! local shop got it for about $25 i wanna say, he's holding it for me. looking forward to that one, it's been a minute

jerry1594

You're missing out - X-Multiply is good stuff and Image Fight is at worst, decent. Really rare set which is why the price has been climbing.

Collecting in general has gone crazy. Can't say any decent system has not been touched. Speaking of which, I cannot express how much I hate Nintendo for using cardboard boxes. Whoever was involved should have a special place in collector's hell.

Not really; no spine or reg card.
Hadn't seen that. That's not one you'll find loose.

MikeMyers

Ah okay.

So the game started as a Genesis game that Sega of America produced, then got ported to the Saturn with a brand new soundtrack by Sega of Europe and special stages by Sega of Japan?

Might be the only Sonic game all three of them worked on!

I'm a little more partial to Chaotix's special stages (which are the best thing about that game - admittedly damning with faint praise, but seriously, they're genuinely fun stuff), but Sonic 3D Saturn's special stages are definitely up there.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I'm a little more partial to Chaotix's special stages (which are the best thing about that game - admittedly damning with faint praise, but seriously, they're genuinely fun stuff), but Sonic 3D Saturn's special stages are definitely up there.

I don't consider that to be the same style, but those are better, yeah.

Danny Dudekisser

Any thoughts on Dark Savior? It's one of those games I saw in an issue of Gamefan waaaaaaaaaay back. Thought it looked pretty cool, never pursued it beyond that.

Top Bottom