• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Any thoughts on Dark Savior? It's one of those games I saw in an issue of Gamefan waaaaaaaaaay back. Thought it looked pretty cool, never pursued it beyond that.

I started playing it a while back. It's weird. I only got an hour or so into it before putting it down, it just wasn't my cup of tea. The combat was kinda like those Suikoden duels.

Interestingly the NA version will work on JP Saturns without any import devices necessary.
http://www.satakore.com/regionfree.php

StevieWhite

Any thoughts on Dark Savior? It's one of those games I saw in an issue of Gamefan waaaaaaaaaay back. Thought it looked pretty cool, never pursued it beyond that.

Combat is terrible, but the parallel system is interesting, and the platforming is fun... once you get into it. Feels like it needed a little more time in the oven though. Looks great through RGB.

I also fell in love with Dark Savior due to Gamefan's huge spread with hundreds of screenshots. I love the game, it is one of my most treasured Saturn memories.

Highly recommended. I think the combat being lacklustre is forgivable considering some playthroughs can have as little as 1 or 2 fights in it.

entremet

How is Nights HD compared to the original Saturn version?

I heard it's based on the PS2 port, which was different physics, if only slightly.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
The controls felt off to me and ChristMas nights omits a lot of content.

Huh... Well that's interesting. I've only ever played the ps2 port, and couldn't really get into it -- controls felt a little finicky. I don't really like the new textures, either.

Maybe I should get it on Saturn.

MikeMyers

Make sure you get this controller for it if you do:

saturn_b.jpg

Another interesting thing about NiGHTS on the Saturn vs. off: the other versions run at a flat 30FPS, but the BG in the Saturn version seems to run at a higher framerate. The foreground (everything 3D - i.e.: anything relevant to gameplay) is 30FPS, but the BG layer is faster for one reason or another. It's a very weird look.

IrishNinja

NiGHTS is something i didn't appreciate in the day (prolly cause i was like FUCK IS THIS WHY IS IT NOT SONIC etc) but just adore today, you'd never get something like that from a team like that elsewhere i feel

Should've handled some Saturn exclusive harrier game. Those special stages were some of the best Sonic's seen since.

oh man, could you imagine? love the AGES rerelease but that would've been amazing

I also fell in love with Dark Savior due to Gamefan's huge spread with hundreds of screenshots. I love the game, it is one of my most treasured Saturn memories.

Highly recommended. I think the combat being lacklustre is forgivable considering some playthroughs can have as little as 1 or 2 fights in it.

wait, as little as 1 or 2 fights and the suikoden duel comparison make me wanna bump this one up in my queue....really gotta tackle Landstalker first though

Yeah, Panzer Zwei as well.

so gorgeous with it too

MikeMyers

I'm a little more partial to Chaotix's special stages (which are the best thing about that game - admittedly damning with faint praise, but seriously, they're genuinely fun stuff), but Sonic 3D Saturn's special stages are definitely up there.

Best part about Chaotix is the music.

Great OST.

Monthly play Metal Black PSA:
You guys should play Metal Black
Semi-Review/impression video.

I think I need to start writing down my thoughts instead of just going off the top lol. Feels like im doing a presentation sometimes. For review/impression videos anyway.

Nice video. I like your format, it's similar to Stewy's, you're not talking over the entire video unlike most youtubers. Showing some gameplay & allowing the viewer to listen to the sound fx and music. For going off-the-cuff you sound fine, better than I could do. I like it.

MikeMyers

Trying to make a list of Mega Drive games that got a sequel on Saturn. Let me know if I missed anything:

-Beyond Oasis
-Bomberman
-Dark Savior
-Hang-On
-Mortal Kombat
-Shining Force
-Shining in the Darkess
-Shinobi
-Street Fighter
-Target Earth
-Thunder Force
-Urban Strike

Street Fighter Alpha is actually a prequel to SF2, but I'll count it.

Trying to make a list of Mega Drive games that got a sequel on Saturn. Let me know if I missed anything:

Lemmings 3D
Rise 2: Resurrection
Virtual Hydlide

Sort-of?
MechWarrior 2 <- MechWarrior 3050 was released on Mega Drive
The Lost World Jurassic Park <- The games doesn't really have anything to do with each-other though.
Mega Man 8 <- Jump from 3 to 8 :p

Sequels on Saturn also released on the Mega Drive itself
EarthWorm Jim 2
Lost Vikings 2
Spot Goes To Hollywood

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
On the subject of Rayman and version differences, I went into detail about that back in 2012 if that helps any.

Didnt see this before, interesting stuff!

I'm sure you can work something out with the seller. He's getting rid of all his stuff to pay for school.

I guess I could have done it, but it was too little time left :( Well, this retro bubble is destined to crash soon, right?

Collecting in general has gone crazy. Can't say any decent system has not been touched. Speaking of which, I cannot express how much I hate Nintendo for using cardboard boxes. Whoever was involved should have a special place in collector's hell.

Quoted for truth, this is one of the worst part about collecting nintendo stuff :(

Gyrian

thats the way to do it.

Total control adapter rocks. Even supports twinsticks for VOOT.

Thanks! Sounds great! It dawned on me that I've got access to really fantastic sticks on the Saturn but not one thing on the Dreamcast. I just grabbed SFIII W Impact & MVSC2 there, so this was a natural next step.
Looking back, I wish I'd known back in the day what amazing arcade sticks existed for the Mega Drive and Saturn. I've grabbed a couple on each throughout the year and they are far more impressive than I expected!

Conezays

Cross-posting here from Upscaler thread but some help would be much appreciated.

Anyone know what's going on here? My Specialty AV-Component converter just arrived so I plugged it all in with the transcoder and component cables, etc. with my Saturn. When I turn it on the picture is completely blank (NTSC Saturn and NA CRT). Please help :(

Timu

Cross-posting here from Upscaler thread but some help would be much appreciated.

Anyone know what's going on here? My Specialty AV-Component converter just arrived so I plugged it all in with the transcoder and component cables, etc. with my Saturn. When I turn it on the picture is completely blank (NTSC Saturn and NA CRT). Please help :(
Does your CRT support 240p over component?

Conezays

I don't think your TV supports 240p over component like most of them that don't. It probably needs at least 480i to see it.

So am I totally hooped here?

As far as I know, I was playing Virtual Console stuff in 240p mode by doing the home screen trick, etc?

Timu

So am I totally hooped here?

As far as I know, I was playing Virtual Console stuff in 240p mode by doing the home screen trick, etc?
Most likely.

And yeah, since the TV probably still thought it was 480i(or 480p) when you tricked it to get 240p.

Timu

Yikes, devastating news :(
This is common with most TVs like that, heck even my TV doesn't do 240p over component yet composite works, lol.

When I got that same exact scart to component converter I only used it on my capture cards and it worked perfectly as I capture PS1 games in component.

Conezays

This is common with most TVs like that, heck even my TV doesn't do 240p over component yet composite works, lol.

When I got that same exact scart to component converter I only used it on my capture cards and it worked perfectly as I capture PS1 games in component.

Hmm, yeah I've been using S-video for the Saturn up until this point. I think I'm just going to return the box then versus being on the hunt for another CRT at the moment.

Thanks for the help though. Still somewhat confused regarding Wii though as there is a noticeable difference when I (theoretically) switch between modes for VC.

Timu

Hmm, yeah I've been using S-video for the Saturn up until this point. I think I'm just going to return the box then versus being on the hunt for another CRT at the moment.

Thanks for the help though. Still somewhat confused regarding Wii though as there is a noticeable difference when I (theoretically) switch between modes for VC.
I don't even use mine anymore now that I have the sync strike to capture direct RGB from my Saturn and such...looks even better than component!

Khaz

At this point why not try to get a CRT TV with Component in? They seem to be fairly common and ultra cheap in North America, and with that transcoder of yours you would get an identical image quality to a European CRT TV with Scart.

I mean it's that or you find $300 to spend on a Framemeister.

Conezays

At this point why not try to get a CRT TV with Component in? They seem to be fairly common and ultra cheap in North America, and with that transcoder of yours you would get an identical image quality to a European TV with CRT.

I mean it's that or you find $300 to spend on a Framemeister.

The TV has component inputs (and composite and S-video), unless I'm misunderstanding your question. I've used them without issue for my Wii and PS2. No luck using them with the Scart to Component box though.

Conezays

Then I don't know what to say, I'm as surprised as you are that it doesn't work.

Can you play PS1 games on your PS2 with Component?

Yep. I played Chrono Trigger the other day to test it out. Not really sure what the problem is here; everything is new, power was showing LED light for the box, etc. Timu's analysis seems to make the most sense.

Khaz

Yep. I played Chrono Trigger the other day to test it out. Not really sure what the problem is here; everything is new, power was showing LED light for the box, etc.

You might have a faulty box. If you know your cables are good, you could always ask for a replacement.

PS1 plays at 240p, and the idea that an input that can't process 240p from the get go could be tricked by first initialising it with 480i is dubious to me. Maybe that's what happens, but it feels strange. The idea that a non-HD display cannot use 240p is also baffling to me.

[edit] oh, you also posted in the display thread. Should have had this convo there :/

Conezays

You might have a faulty box. If you know your cables are good, you could always ask for a replacement.

PS1 plays at 240p, and the idea that an input that can't process 240p from the get go could be tricked by first initialising it with 480i is dubious to me. Maybe that's what happens, but it feels strange. The idea that a non-HD display cannot use 240p is also baffling to me.

[edit] oh, you also posted in the display thread. Should have had this convo there :/

Haha, in a rage I had to cross-post :p Yeah, I'm not sure who the real culprit is. To be honest though, it's been quite a money pit so getting a refund and playing through S-video may have to suffice. *commence tears*

Khaz

Yeah it can be difficult to troubleshoot. Maybe your Scart cable is faulty, maybe the box is, or even your RCA cable. It's difficult to know without having already a setup that is known to work. I suppose you don't have another RGB console with a Scart cable?

Conezays

Yeah it can be difficult to troubleshoot. Maybe your Scart cable is faulty, maybe the box is, or even your RCA cable. It's difficult to know without having already a setup that is known to work. I suppose you don't have another RGB console with a Scart cable?

Yeah, I'm not sure; they're all new. The Scart cable is from Retro Gaming Cables UK, component cables and Specialty AV from Amazon. And yeah, unfortunately the Wii and PS2 are using component cables. The silver lining in all this is the plethora of Saturn games I've picked up, but nonetheless pretty disappointed in this not working as expected.

Top Bottom