• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

D.Lo

Do you have the official Sega ram cart then? How reliable is it?
Me? I have a 4MB and a 1MB, and have mainly used an Action Replay for a long time for most stuff. It's a really early 4/1MB Action Replay that I had to mod to work properly with all games, but that was a long long time ago so can't really remember.

MikeMyers

Yes. That was directed at you.

Still, I'm not sure if it's worth 180 just for reliable way to play X-Men Vs. Street Fighter. The other games just néed the car to bypass the region code.

D.Lo

If you have a US Saturn that should be fine?

I mean yeah it looks kind of boring, but no version of the Saturn is particularly beautiful from the front, which is what you look at the most if it's up on a shelf. I have no problems with 4MB games with the AR, only 1MB games sometimes.

MikeMyers

The problem is sometimes the AR doesn't register it and just goes straight to the CD menu. Starts a game of turning the system on and off again until it reads it.

MikeMyers

OK, did another session tonight. Everything went smooth.

Played both Street Fighter Alpha 2 and X-Men Vs. Street Fighter tonight. Love the art direction, music, and fluid gameplay in these games. The latter plays more over the top, but I'm glad Capcom gave the game its own unique identity.

Also hilarious using Cammy's own finisher against her as Rogue to win the final fight of the game. :)

Played Worldwide Soccer '97 too. A lot of fun as well.

Man the prices are so nuts these days that I can't even bring myself to sell my doubles. I've got an extra CIB Cotton Boomerang I'm just sitting on because every time I look at eBay it's worth more. I first thought about selling it when they were worth $80. Now they sell for north of $200. When will it end?

Man the prices are so nuts these days that I can't even bring myself to sell my doubles. I've got an extra CIB Cotton Boomerang I'm just sitting on because every time I look at eBay it's worth more. I first thought about selling it when they were worth $80. Now they sell for north of $200. When will it end?
If it bothers you that much, I'll buy it from you for $80.

StevieWhite

Random thought that popped into my head:

Been playing a lot of FMV games for the Sega CD lately. Given the fact that Sega itself was releasing FMV games for the SCD as late as 1995, it's somewhat remarkable that the Saturn generally lagged behind the PSX in the prerendered video department.

Galdelico

Do you have the official Sega ram cart then? How reliable is it?

Just to clarify, I know what you mean, but SEGA themselves never produced/released an 'official' RAM cart. The official ones were made by CAPCOM (4megs) and SNK (1meg). There were a few other games - such as The King of Fighters '95 and Ultraman - that came out bundled with their own exclusive carts, which contained actual data, instead of additional memory.

On top of that, there are several third party all-in-one devices that work as 1/4megs RAM cart, memory card and cheatcodes central.
I've got this EMS model here - http://www.shopncsx.com/images1/products/detail/ar4m_shop.jpg - which is compatible with every game for the Saturn that requires the expansion (Street Fighter Zero 3, Vampire Savior...), and this is the one I always recommend, when it comes to 4-in-1 solutions. This model has the serial port on top too.
As I said before, I barely had any issue with this cart. It happened - so rarely it's totally negligible - that some SNK games (specifically, Real Bout: Fatal Fury) showed some graphical glitches. As a memory card, it never failed me.

Oh, and in case you decide to go all out Japanese, white Saturns are beautiful for sure, but I've been told that not all the model-2 consoles (the ones with round face buttons, like the white model) are able to output C-Sync RGB, which is worth considering in case you're gonna hook it to a PVM monitor.

If it bothers you that much, I'll buy it from you for $80.
Haha, you gentleman. :D

Celine

Been playing a lot of FMV games for the Sega CD lately. Given the fact that Sega itself was releasing FMV games for the SCD as late as 1995, it's somewhat remarkable that the Saturn generally lagged behind the PSX in the prerendered video department.
One had a dedicated chip for video decoding the other didn't (it was all software based).

Khaz

Just to clarify, I know what you mean, but SEGA themselves never produced/released an 'official' RAM cart. The official ones were made by CAPCOM (4megs) and SNK (1meg). There were a few other games - such as The King of Fighters '95 and Ultraman - that came out bundled with their own exclusive carts, which contained actual data, instead of additional memory.

The cartridges bundled with the 1M and 4M games were official Sega made.
http://www.satakore.com/cartridge.php
Capcom and SNK probably asked Sega for a RAM expansion for their games, and they obliged. It's safe to assume they probably also asked Sony, who said "lol no"

MikeMyers

The cartridges bundled with the 1M and 4M games were official Sega made.
http://www.satakore.com/cartridge.php
Capcom and SNK probably asked Sega for a RAM expansion for their games, and they obliged. It's safe to assume they probably also asked Sony, who said "lol no"

Haha. Saturn got the best arcade ports. Though I'm still salty Taito cancelled Psychic Force on Saturn.

Is there any reason why people would prefer the Saturn version of DOA1 over the arcade version? I remember Itagaki said the Saturn version was better, and that's why he ported it to the Xbox instead of the arcade version.

Timu

Haha. Saturn got the best arcade ports. Though I'm still salty Taito cancelled Psychic Force on Saturn.

Is there any reason why people would prefer the Saturn version of DOA1 over the arcade version? I remember Itagaki said the Saturn version was better, and that's why he ported it to the Xbox instead of the arcade version.
No idea, but I liked playing that version on my Xbox.

cj_iwakura

There was a JP-only visual novel called Machi, but that's all I know of, apart from ports like Corpse Killer. (Which really looks great, even if I prefer the SCD version.)

D.Lo

Also Sega were the clear world leaders in 3D arcade games. Yet started development of the Saturn as a 2D machine.

SMH Sega.

MikeMyers

If Saturn was a pure 2D system though, and they were pushing Virtua Fighter as the killer app, would VF2 have ended up like that Mega Drive game then?

If you're on Tumblr and not follwing polylina, you're fucking up imo.
tumblr_nz98jvvRuR1tco1yso1_1280.jpg
tumblr_nz98jvvRuR1tco1yso2_1280.jpg

Saturn (VDP2) could do transparencies as well as SNES in 2D games.
The problem was when combining both VDP1 and VDP2.
Transparencies were an issue mainly in polygonal games:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_OchOV_WDg

(active english subtitles)
Thanks. I know I had seen this before but I obviously needed a refresher.

MikeMyers

VF Kids worth the $10? I've never actually played it, but I already have Fighters Megamix where you can use Kids Sarah (my main VF character).

MikeMyers

UMK3 is MK3 with the Ultimate characters and stages added in. It's serviceable but not that great of a port.

Virtual On is meant to be good.

Never played DBZ Legends but it has my favourite Hironobu Kageyama song.

NEVAR GIVE UP!

I should have specified Japanese games. I've had Virtual-On since it came out (love it), though I dont own Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, despite loving the arcade version. I think it was like $35 or something, not sure.

cj_iwakura

Exactly. Just the thought of the novelty seeing a Saturn game in a store makes me want to get it.

I've been to cons that had a bunch. The thing is most places think Saturn collectors will automatically pay top dollar regardless of the quality of the game, and there is a lot of junk out there.

I see Saturn, Sega CD, and 32X games at most retro places I go to.

I didn't have much money on me, so that's why I asked. I can't read the Japanese boxes, so the only games I recognized were the Evangelion, Slayers, and Dragon Ball Z games. I already have all of the US stuff they had besides Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3.

Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 is an ok port, the load times are pretty bad. Even in game when pulling off a fatality theres a slight pause same with playing as Shang Tsung.

It doesn't pause before projectile attacks like in II, right? If so, it's at least a better port than that. II was also missing a lot of voice clips...and sometimes the ones there didn't play.

I still played the shit out of it, though.

Note: The projectile pause only happens the first time they're used in a match.

Top Bottom