• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Conezays

Try to get a new cable first. I had a faulty scart cable used for my RGB modded NES awhile back. Replaced it and NES displayed perfectly. That being said, I also had issues with the first Specialty AV box I ordered long ago (used to get too hot and eventually had color loss problems / SCART input became slightly loose).

Its really just a matter of figuring either, especially if you can play PS1 via PS2 over component.

Unfortunately I can't really test out any of the components with other stuff due to lacking any other SCART-enabled consoles. I think I'm just going to return it and get my money back and attempt my SCART journey later on :p

Got Donpachi and Thunder Blade V en route to deal with my disappointment :p *Loved* Dodonpachi so excited to try out its predecessor.

Wereroku

never really appreciated PoP, explains why i felt the same way about TR

okay you proved how broken Mirage was, Lunar 2 was...challenging with that magic/save system (fuck, Borgan may still be one of my roughest JRPG battles), but i still haven't gotten around to Popful, i just heard it's hard...what specifically was done?

Popful is real jokey and has a lot of dated references from that is the only thing I can think of. Exile 2 is apparently just completely broken. The final boss is basically unkillable due to a programming bug.

Teknoman

Unfortunately I can't really test out any of the components with other stuff due to lacking any other SCART-enabled consoles. I think I'm just going to return it and get my money back and attempt my SCART journey later on :p

Got Donpachi and Thunder Blade V en route to deal with my disappointment :p *Loved* Dodonpachi so excited to try out its predecessor.

Yeah it might be better to use the money towards games you want or other things for now in that case. Cables and converters shouldnt go up in price, but the games definitely will.

MikeMyers

I didn't get around to beating it until earlier this year, but I'm gonna go ahead and say "yes". The Prince of Persia comparison is absolutely apt, except unlike that game, you're not under a strict time limit, so the pressure is lower. Combat is shit, but the platforming holds up, provided you have a little patience.

Although I'd also say you want the PC version (modded to re-include the music), because the save-anywhere it has is... kind of necessary in my opinion, with the number of tricky jumps the game expects you to make. One-time-use checkpoints doesn't really compare. Quality of life change, really.

I really think a game in this style could still work in this day and age, although it'd need to be adapted to the traditional WASD+mouse/dual analog control scheme, where the turning is on the mouse/right stick while forward/back/strafing is on WASD/the left stick. Camera would stick more strictly to Lara's back, so the fact that these are still technically "tank" controls would be obfuscated (that is, the terrible camera angles that don't show you anything ahead of you that you can so easily wind up with in Tomb Raider wouldn't happen). Wouldn't change the movement speeds much, though - maybe allow faster turns when you're standing still, but you wouldn't be able to turn on a dime while running. (Your aiming, however, would be able to quickly rotate within a wide angle of the direction your lower body is facing, because combat would probably work best if aiming were manual, and having really slow aiming controls while you're being shot at isn't exactly what I'd call ideal.)
Yeah. I'll have to check it out again at some point. Would be nice to see the game in its original platform, rather than the PlayStation version.

MikeMyers

Triple post, but, I realised I forgot to respond to this:

EA sports games: Fifa, Madden, NFL.
Road Rash

Does Mega CD count? Then:
Mansion of Hidden Souls
Keyo Flying Squadron 2

Lemmings 3D
Rise 2: Resurrection
Virtual Hydlide

Sort-of?
MechWarrior 2 <- MechWarrior 3050 was released on Mega Drive
The Lost World Jurassic Park <- The games doesn't really have anything to do with each-other though.
Mega Man 8 <- Jump from 3 to 8 :p

Sequels on Saturn also released on the Mega Drive itself
EarthWorm Jim 2
Lost Vikings 2
Spot Goes To Hollywood

Thanks.

Maybe we can do a spinoff list too? Could include Sonic and Golden Axe then.

I'm using Yabause and I don't really like how it has 2 separate rendering options, each with it's own benefits. I really like the high resolution rendering, but that option is a bit weird right now. Does anyone know if the devs are still working on it?

Aside from that minor issue, I'm really loving Shining the Holy Ark. The battle style is turn based, and if you're not using some sort of guide, you're not going to have a good time due to all the pixie things you collect.

gelf

I'm using Yabause and I don't really like how it has 2 separate rendering options, each with it's own benefits. I really like the high resolution rendering, but that option is a bit weird right now. Does anyone know if the devs are still working on it?

Aside from that minor issue, I'm really loving Shining the Holy Ark. The battle style is turn based, and if you're not using some sort of guide, you're not going to have a good time due to all the pixie things you collect.
There are still updates being made to Yabause but progress appears slow to me. I'd love more games to work correctly in the OpenGL mode. Saturn gets battered by PS in the ultra clean bullshots being passed off as original graphics department :p

Galdelico

Played some Groove on Fight last night, wondering if there are some obscure/lesser known/overlooked fighting games for the system, that are worth picking up.

I've already got a few, some that I actually love (Golden Axe: The Duel, Astra Superstars...), some that left me pretty much uninspired (Suiko Enbu, Pretty Fighter X...).

I'm already eyeing Samurai Spirits 4 (which is not really 'obscure'), maybe Fighters History Dynamite... Suggestions?

Played some Groove on Fight last night, wondering if there are some obscure/lesser known/overlooked fighting games for the system, that are worth picking up.

I've already got a few, some that I actually love (Golden Axe: The Duel, Astra Superstars...), some that left me pretty much uninspired (Suiko Enbu, Pretty Fighter X...).

I'm already eyeing Samurai Spirits 4 (which is not really 'obscure'), maybe Fighters History Dynamite... Suggestions?

I highly, highly recommend Asuka 120% Burining Limited. It's fast, intuitive and fun.

Which reminds me, the team actually made a homebrew follow-up. If I ever get Psuedo Saturn working I need to check it out.

Celine

World Heroes Perfect.

Galdelico

I highly, highly recommend Asuka 120% Burining Limited. It's fast, intuitive and fun.

Which reminds me, the team actually made a homebrew follow-up. If I ever get Psuedo Saturn working I need to check it out.
I've got the first and the third game in the Asuka series for the PlayStation. Is the Saturn version any different/better?

World Heroes Perfect.
I'll check it out. Not a huge fan of the saga, but if the port is solid, it may be a fun one to add to the collection. Thanks!

I've got the first and the third game in the Asuka series for the PlayStation. Is the Saturn version any different/better?

It was the last one made by the original developers, Fill In Cafe.

It has a surprising amount of depth to its systems, including a parry system.

I believe the Saturn version is even better looking, at least based on footage captured through a Framemeister. All the Youtube footage is unfortunately upscaled and very badly compressed.

There's a patch called "Limit Over" allegedly made by some of the original developers that adjusts the gameplay and adds some new moves. It's pretty easy to acquire now compared to a decade ago, but you'll need a modded Saturn to give it a try.

I know I let InfiniteNine borrow that one, so she can probably tell you more. :p I'm just an old fellow who barely plays games now.

There are still updates being made to Yabause but progress appears slow to me. I'd love more games to work correctly in the OpenGL mode. Saturn gets battered by PS in the ultra clean bullshots being passed off as original graphics department :p

I wish Dolphin devs helped on this emu. I would love to play Saturn games in high resolution with texture filtering and widescreen.

Galdelico

It was the last one made by the original developers, Fill In Cafe.

It has a surprising amount of depth to its systems, including a parry system.

I believe the Saturn version is even better looking, at least based on footage captured through a Framemeister. All the Youtube footage is unfortunately upscaled and very badly compressed.

There's a patch called "Limit Over" allegedly made by some of the original developers that adjusts the gameplay and adds some new moves. It's pretty easy to acquire now compared to a decade ago, but you'll need a modded Saturn to give it a try.

I know I let InfiniteNine borrow that one, so she can probably tell you more. :p I'm just an old fellow who barely plays games now.
That's alot of fresh informations for me, big thanks!
I've never really went super deep with the Asuka games on the PS, but one sure thing is that I loved the art and the animation, especially in Final. Tracking down the Saturn version sounds like a good idea, at this point. :D

Saturn Memories

Neo Member
I wish Dolphin devs helped on this emu. I would love to play Saturn games in high resolution with texture filtering and widescreen.

Ideally, Shima would make SSF open source, and then there would actually be a good, stable Saturn emulator to expand upon. I doubt that will ever happen though, and since he's now devoting most of his time to developing a PS3 emulator, Saturn emulation probably isn't going to move forward for a very long time...

That's alot of fresh informations for me, big thanks!
I've never really went super deep with the Asuka games on the PS, but one sure thing is that I loved the art and the animation, especially in Final. Tracking down the Saturn version sounds like a good idea, at this point. :D

Shore.

I also have a few images that were used as case and disk art for Limit Over. Alas, the case art is wayyyyyyy too small to be usable, but maybe it will inspire somebody with time and PhotoShop to whip up something better.

cQpBT3s.jpg

tNtDsfC.jpg

lsGbria.jpg

And fun sized thumbnails of the original case art. Hey, don't you sass me, bits were really hard to come by in those dial-up days!

Has anyone ever unlocked Horse 2 in Daytona USA? I know all about the first Horse you unlock, since that comes with the button code, but apparently the only way to unlock Horse 2 is to place first on Three-Seven Speedway's Endurance mode on Normal (with the horse, I think), and my one attempt at that over a decade ago didn't go well.

Supposedly it's a "horse and colt", but I've not found any screenshots or videos of this.

Has anyone ever unlocked Horse 2 in Daytona USA? I know all about the first Horse you unlock, since that comes with the button code, but apparently the only way to unlock Horse 2 is to place first on Three-Seven Speedway's Endurance mode on Normal (with the horse, I think), and my one attempt at that over a decade ago didn't go well.

Supposedly it's a "horse and colt", but I've not found any screenshots or videos of this.

After activating Horse (by code or by beating the game, doesn't really matter). Go to Options and set Laps to Endurance. Enter Saturn Mode, Choose Horse(either manual or automatic), Then choose Beginner track. Place 1st and you should be able to play as Horse 2 in Saturn Mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1OWUvErFDI

After activating Horse (by code or by beating the game, doesn't really matter). Go to Options and set Laps to Endurance. Enter Saturn Mode, Choose Horse(either manual or automatic), Then choose Beginner track. Place 1st and you should be able to play as Horse 2 in Saturn Mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1OWUvErFDI
...this is just a copy-paste from GameFAQs and a link to a video of Horse 1. Not really answering my question, here.

Of course its cut & paste, I'm not going to re-type it :) & where are you hearing Horse & Colt? The only thing I always knew about, is what I copied.

Edit: Just looked it up. Never knew about the colt.

Right, my point is, I'd already read what GameFAQs had to say on the subject before coming here to ask :V

I wish I could be specific about where I heard the "horse and colt" bit, but not knowing where my copy of it got off to, about all I can say is that it was an old pre-N64 cheatbook. Contained tons of codes for SNES, Genesis, PlayStation and Saturn games, sometimes with accompanying images. Thing was in full-color, and the pages for each system bore color-coded gradients (Genesis was blue, SNES was purple, Saturn was dark blue, PlayStation was orange). Cover was orange, too. Dunno who made it, though.

Khaz

You can definitely unlock it by placing first in the endurance race with the first horse. Horse two is a big horse and a smaller horse running at its side. I unlocked it back in the day when I was actually good at the game (= only that game to play). I'm not sure if there was a cheat code for it, but there isn't much info on it on the internet. And no screenshots, which is annoying as it feels it's starting to become an urban legend.

The horses are kind of a bitch to control, but very powerful once you get used to it. I believe I only managed to get first in Endurance mode with the horse, not with a car.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
The main advantage of the horses was that they didn't slow down or lose control on grass, but they would lose more speed than normal when you collided with the wall.

The green and pink cars also did not slow down on grass.

The black and orange cars did not slow down when rubbing up against the wall unless you hit it at a hard angle.

I have a Sony that looks pretty similar to that, but it cost me $35. It's like 100lbs, too! Took me a while to find a TV stand that'd hold that much weight, and I haven't even gotten around to putting the stand in place and the TV on top of it... At least it has component.

And thanks! This is literally the first time I've actually seen Horse 2 at all, beyond hearsay in cheatbooks or on cheat sites. I should probably try unlocking it myself...

Ideally, Shima would make SSF open source, and then there would actually be a good, stable Saturn emulator to expand upon. I doubt that will ever happen though, and since he's now devoting most of his time to developing a PS3 emulator, Saturn emulation probably isn't going to move forward for a very long time...

I never understood the whole closed source thing. When has good ever come out of emulators not being open source?

MikeMyers

God damn can the ram cart can be unreliable at times.

Sucks because Xmen Vs. SF is the only game I have that didnt have an official Western release. Now I hate Bernie Stolar even more.

Galdelico

God damn can the ram cart can be unreliable at times.
You mean the official 4megs cart, or one of those 4-in-1 Action Replay Plus? Because if it's the latter, yeah, they can get quite temperamental at times. Mine never gave me troubles when it comes to data management, but it happens that SNK games fail to detect it, every now and then.

I've never had problems with the Action Replay RAM cart necessarily, but mine's one of the white models that had the serial port on top. I know there's been other variations since, I never bothered keeping track of the changes.

One issue that I have had is with the cartridge slot, which is known to deteriorate over time. If your problem is with that silly slot, then a new RAM cart isn't going to help the situation.

MikeMyers

Would it work perfectly fine on a US TV?

Only thing is that it'd kinda make having a RAM Cart for my US Saturn somewhat redundant. Should have just went Japanese in the beginning. :/

But my god, does that White Saturn look amazing.

Would it work perfectly fine on a US TV?

Only thing is that it'd kinda make having a RAM Cart for my US Saturn somewhat redundant. Should have just went Japanese in the beginning. :/

But my god, does that White Saturn look amazing.

Yeah, Japanese Saturn is 100% NTSC friendly, no PALs in sight. That's what InfiniteNine uses with her setup and it works great.

Looks much nicer than my black, Genesis-wannabe thing.

MikeMyers

$180 for a Japanese Saturn with the official Sega Ram Cart. Hmm...not sure about that.

And yes, the American Saturn looks like a Genesis who spent too much time at McDonalds.

D.Lo

Also the first western Saturn controller... what were they thinking.

Strangely the exact process repeated on the original Xbox with the 'I'm holding two huge potatoes' original duke controller. Played into the 'fat american cheeto hands' jokes at the time lol.

I've been running a white Hong Kong Saturn for... a long long time. Sometime in the 90s.

It needed a whitening treatment a couple of years ago however, one advantage of the black model.

Top Bottom