• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

It doesn't pause before projectile attacks like in II, right? If so, it's at least a better port than that. II was also missing a lot of voice clips...and sometimes the ones there didn't play.

I still played the shit out of it, though.

Note: The projectile pause only happens the first time they're used in a match.

No, it's smooth all the way through, there is just a slight pause when Shang Tsung morphs and that same slight pause with fatalities. The PC version suffers the same.

No, it's smooth all the way through, there is just a slight pause when Shang Tsung morphs and that same slight pause with fatalities. The PC version suffers the same.

Ah, great! Maybe I'll get it next time I see it. Ultimate 3 and Deception are the only mainline Mortal Kombat games I don't own any version of.

Saturn Memories

Neo Member
I should have specified Japanese games. I've had Virtual-On since it came out (love it), though I dont own Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, despite loving the arcade version. I think it was like $35 or something, not sure.

It's a bunch of anime-themed titles (Eva, Slayers, GeGeGe no Kitaro) and a few other randoms like Quovadis, Zap Snowboarding Trix, and Airs Adventure. Nothing to write home about. Unless you know Japanese, you probably won't get much out of most of these.

MikeMyers

It doesn't pause before projectile attacks like in II, right? If so, it's at least a better port than that. II was also missing a lot of voice clips...and sometimes the ones there didn't play.

I still played the shit out of it, though.

Note: The projectile pause only happens the first time they're used in a match.

You can read about the MK games on the Saturn here.

Saturn UMK3 basically is just PSX MK3 with the characters and stages from Ultimate. Still, it's probably better to get than Trilogy, which is really expensive for Saturn.

Galdelico

Any of this worth getting? How's Dragon Ball Z Legends?
It's always difficult for me to honestly recommend Legends... I mean, I watch someone playing and it looks really good, it genuinely conveys that DBZ 'feel'. But then I start playing it myself and damn, it just feels like a clunky mess. My favourite DBZ on the Saturn (and one of my favourites in general) still remains Shin Butoden.

MikeMyers

Well, it was one of the final releases on the system in the US, I think.

The import version is still pretty cheap. Been thinking of picking it up but I dunno how well it would work with a regular d-pad.

Galdelico

Ha, didn't know about it.
I've always collected - and still going on that way - Japanese games for myself, and yeah a brand new THotD cost me little to nothing, a few years ago. One downside of the NTSC-J game though, is that it doesn't seem to allow the 'red blood' cheat.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Got this from JonathanNemo the other day!
CpfiYQql.jpg

I've been playing it on and off at their place when I visited every once and a while and have had fun so far. I didn't know where Camelot originated from before playing this and talking with Jon.
That info mostly stemmed from me saying "This is Golden Sun." a short bit into the game. (Going to order a JP version and put it in that case since these huge ones are flimsy as hell.)

cj_iwakura

CpfiYQql.jpg

I've been playing it on and off at their place when I visited every once and a while and have had fun so far. I didn't know where Camelot originated from before playing this and talking with Jon.
That info mostly stemmed from me saying "This is Golden Sun." a short bit into the game. (Going to order a JP version and put it in that case since these huge ones are flimsy as hell.)

Great game, I expect it to get pretty valuable in a few years if it isn't already.

CpfiYQql.jpg

I'm actually playing through this right now. I believe I'm a little more than halfway through. Theres little to no grinding involved and the bosses I have encountered have the right amount of difficulty, nothing cheap. I love the particle effects and the use of Pixies is really cool. And the music that is played in the Armory at Enrich is amazing. I've gone in there, put the controller down so I could listen to it longer. Great game so far, good pickup.

Edit: I would post a link to the music, but I can only find it in a Lets Play and the guy playing won't shut up so it's hard to hear.

I recall having to do a fair bit of grinding, myself - particularly early on, when you're trying to reach the castle from the village in the north but have to go through both a forest and a catacombs to get there, with 1-2 bosses in the mix (I know the forest had one, I forget if the catacombs did).

Wish my copy had a box; I only have the game and manual. Bought it and Guardian Heroes (with box but no manual) for $60 in my freshman year of college, 2006 or so...

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I don't recall ever grinding in Holy Ark. I agree with SevenDevils, the game is tough at times but never to the point where you are forced to grind.

Great game, those dungeons are insane.

piggychan

I'm actually playing through this right now. I believe I'm a little more than halfway through. Theres little to no grinding involved and the bosses I have encountered have the right amount of difficulty, nothing cheap. I love the particle effects and the use of Pixies is really cool. And the music that is played in the Armory at Enrich is amazing. I've gone in there, put the controller down so I could listen to it longer. Great game so far, good pickup.

Edit: I would post a link to the music, but I can only find it in a Lets Play and the guy playing won't shut up so it's hard to hear.

you know that battle music is just awesome!

Motoi Sakuraba

Khaz

I grind out of habit from other RPGs. The game's pretty hard without a guide though. Can't miss any of those pixies!

That was my take on it too. you want to get all the pixies, but for that you need to hit every wall or use a guide, both taking any enjoyment out of it for me. I don't recall much grinding, but looking for the fairies and the encounter rates makes it a bit grindish at times.

Once you clear a dungeon and revisit that area, say, to go back to town a save, buy armor etc...the encounter rates drop significantly. I went back through the graveyard and had only 3 encounters. So I guess if you wanted to grind, do it in area before you exit the first time.

TeaJay

Here's my latest pickup. I already own Sengoku Blade and I hear good things about Gunbird, so can't wait to try it out. My console is away for maintenance at the moment, but should be back soon good as new - which is a good thing, since now I have this, Rockman X4 and Astal ready to be played.

Jaeger

Can someone fill me in onTryrush Deppy, and why it's so pricey? I'm at work so I can't do proper research. Is it a rare game?

Still looking for Battle Garegga. It's my #1 game I have to get.

Top Bottom