• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

^
I was thinking about it because I noticed the CPS3 board has an SH-2 like the Saturn, so I figured if Capcom ever tried to port SFIII (I picked NG or 2I because they came out in 97 and 3S came out in 99. NG is really bare bones and 2I just has much more content) with a RAM cart, it might actually get close to arcade perfect, depending on the size of the cart. How much animation would Capcom have had to cut to get a single fight loaded into a Saturn + 4MB RAM cart?

And while arcade SFEX maybe running on Playstation hardware, it's not very intensive graphically. It looks pretty much on the level of Tekken 2. The only thing the Saturn would struggle with are the transparent fireballs and dust clouds and particle effect hit markers. There's some light sourcing on a couple of stages, but not as much as I remember. The Saturn could do all those chunky graphics with quads.

MikeMyers

Check out footage of Final Fight Revenge if you haven't. It was kind of like the EX version of the Final Fight series and was on the Saturn. Maybe that could be a good indicator?

Galdelico

I think the Saturn could've handled pretty decent ports of SF EX arcade games.
They feature flat, 2D backdrops and - overall - they don't look too distant from what CAPCOM achieved with Final Fight Revenge on the SS. I dare to say that Revenge on the Saturn is even more visually appealing than SF EX on the PlayStation, so yeah, I'd bet on 'yay'.

Now to SFIII 2nd Impact... I'm not a tech savvy, but the game is a HUGE step forward, in terms of 2D graphics, sprites' size and animations, even compared to Vampire Savior. Leaning towards a cautious 'nay', in this case.

MikeMyers

Come to think about it, the amount of support Capcom gave Sega was insane. SNK showed a lot of support too, but they were always kind of more niche.

256px-Capcom_vs_SNK_2.png

Love this flyer. Three great fighting game companies all together for one great fighting game.

Come to think about it, the amount of support Capcom gave Sega was insane. SNK showed a lot of support too, but they were always kind of more niche.

256px-Capcom_vs_SNK_2.png

Love this flyer. Three great fighting game companies all together for one great fighting game.

I always loved this ad. Got the company rivalries as well as the platform holder rivalries covered.

CW5qTbYW8AEciVa.jpg

squadr0n

Hey Gaf, Ive been reallly wanting to pick up a Sega Saturn but im not sure where to even begin. I know I should try to get the circle button model but not sure which model number they are. I want to get one and the Action Replay 5 in 1 to import games plus have the Ramm card. Which model would you recommend I look for and does it matter if I get a US or Japan console? How easy is it to play US games on a import console? Also where would you recommend buying one for around $50-$60?

PS: Are Sega CD games backwards compatable by any chance? Ive seen conflicting answers online. I really want Snatcher but theres no chance im buying a Sega CD too. Already picked up a Dreamcast a few months ago.

Wereroku

Hey Gaf, Ive been reallly wanting to pick up a Sega Saturn but im not sure where to even begin. I know I should try to get the circle button model but not sure which model number they are. I want to get one and the Action Replay 5 in 1 to import games plus have the Ramm card. Which model would you recommend I look for and does it matter if I get a US or Japan console? How easy is it to play US games on a import console? Also where would you recommend buying one for around $50-$60?

PS: Are Sega CD games backwards compatable by any chance? Ive seen conflicting answers online. I really want Snatcher but theres no chance im buying a Sega CD too. Already picked up a Dreamcast a few months ago.
You cannot play Sega CD games on a Saturn. Also if you want to be able to play all jpn games you need to get a jpn console. The 5-1 are super easy but removing cartridges wears out the slot and will eventually stop working.

You cannot play Sega CD games on a Saturn. Also if you want to be able to play all jpn games you need to get a jpn console. The 5-1 are super easy but removing cartridges wears out the slot and will eventually stop working.

I've had an Action Replay and simply left it there. No need to remove it for most games. The extra RAM is compatible with just about every game I can think of that needed a RAM cart, if not all of them.

The one time I needed to change the cart was for Dragon Force, because its save games are alarmingly huge, and you might as well just get an American Saturn or set aside room for a modded Saturn if you wanted to play that someday.

There's also a few early KoF ports that had ROM carts, all of which are not nearly as good as later ports and the Neo-Geo originals. Those are mostly a collector's novelty, now.

Which model would you recommend I look for and does it matter if I get a US or Japan console?

One that works. Some Model 2 (round button) consoles don't work with the Japanese port of Outrun IIRC, otherwise Model 1 and 2 are both good and just as easy to mod these days.

It used to be that Model 2 was the easier one to mod, but newer mod chips support both hardware. You're good to go there.

How easy is it to play US games on a import console?

Action Replay or mod the console. Shouldn't be any different from the US console.

Also where would you recommend buying one for around $50-$60?

Japanese used game stores? Sometimes.

I really want Snatcher but theres no chance im buying a Sega CD too. Already picked up a Dreamcast a few months ago.

There is a Saturn Snatcher if you'd like to try your hand at Japanese.

Galdelico

I've had an Action Replay and simply left it there. No need to remove it for most games. The extra RAM is compatible with just about every game I can think of that needed a RAM cart, if not all of them.
Yep, I recommend this too. There's no urgent need to keep swapping the Action Replay cart, once it's in the console's slot. The later models - which are white and come with a parallel port on top - are compatible with every expanded game made for the Saturn (the only one I've never personally tried is Final Fight Revenge, but I can confirm they work with Street Fighter Zero 3 and Vampire Savior).

There's also a few early KoF ports that had ROM carts, all of which are not nearly as good as later ports and the Neo-Geo originals. Those are mostly a collector's novelty, now.
Only '95 - which is not a bad port at all, IMO - comes with its own ROM cart, and there's also an Ultraman fighting game (Ultraman: Hikari no Kyojin Densetsu) bundled with a similar expansion.

The one time I needed to change the cart was for Dragon Force, because its save games are alarmingly huge.
Wait. Are the save files bigger than the systems memory? This is the next game I get into after I finish Holy Ark. If I need to order a memory card I'd rather do that now. I wish you were able to save directly to the AR card.

IrishNinja

yeah, that CvSNK2 ad was class

also, my model 2 was a little rough when i got it years ago - was modchipped, but something in the way it was mailed threw the ribbon or something off, would even spin discs till i had it fixed. works like a charm since, but ya'll have me so paranoid about that cart slot, i just never take the official memory card out! helps that it has cj_iwakura's MKR sticker on it too, haha

MikeMyers

I like how you guys mention not to take the cart out, but with mine, sometimes the cart just flat out wont work and I have to take it out to put it back in.

Wait. Are the save files bigger than the systems memory? This is the next game I get into after I finish Holy Ark. If I need to order a memory card I'd rather do that now. I wish you were able to save directly to the AR card.

Unfortunately, I can't test this out right now. I believe you can fit one save in the internal system memory, but absolutely no more than that.

Memory carts are the only sane way to maintain multiple saves for this game. The AR alternative is to reboot to the Action Replay's menu to copy that one save game from internal to its own persisted memory and back.

It gets annoying quickly when you've got more than one DR_FORCE_01 file on an AR cart. The only thing you can see about those saves on the AR is when they were saved, and you have to write each file, one at a time, back to internal memory and launch the game to find out more.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I thought the only large save file Dragon Force had was the "suspend" file. Pretty sure the normal saves were a lot smaller.

I thought the only large save file Dragon Force had was the "suspend" file. Pretty sure the normal saves were a lot smaller.

I remember that there was more than one type of save file, but I couldn't find too many resources about that on my own.

Now that I know what it is, I see the manual claims that the suspend file can't fit in internal backup memory, can only have one per memory cart.

If a Backup RAM cartridge is installed, the current game can be saved to the cartridge. To suspend a game, select "SUSPEND" from the Map Menu. Next choose "YES" to save the game. The current game will be saved and the game will be reset. To cancel and return to the game, select "NO." NOTE: This option is only available if a RAM cartridge is installed.

There can only be one resume save data file on a Backup RAM [car]tridge.

If a Backup RAM cartridge is not installed, then there is only enough room on the Internal RAM for one save data file. However, if the Backup Ram cartridge is installed then five separate save data files can be saved.

Another forum claims that one save is 284 blocks, more than half the internal backup memory, which sounds right to me.

I'll check it out when I'm back home.

Merry Christmas guys.

VZEPEAy.gif

source, yo

alf717

Decided to give Tomb Raider some play time. I had the game for years and within the last few day I just got into this Tomb Raider kick. The Saturn version is pretty good but I'm starting to either be experiencing a failing Saturn or the game has bugs. I'm up to St. Francis' Folly and so far I've experienced a few missing sounds. For example when entering the Thor area in St. Francis' Folly there is no lightning noise in this room. I also noticed missing door sounds. The Saturn access light is blinking so I guess it is loading something but it is like a null sound or a short click if you listen carefully. Frame rate is decent but it does suffer a bit. Not that it is unbearable but it does dip a bit.

Gyrian

Merry X-MAS, Saturn GAF!
It's a little later than I wanted, but I've brought a present to give away: a brand new copy of Vampire Hunter!

To get it, all you need to do is persuade us as to why it should go to your home! The only condition is that it be new to you, as this is meant to be opened up and played. It's a fantastic game that I hope can deliver a little bit of joy to someone else, too. You will of course need a Japanese Saturn to play, or at least have a region free cart (I might have an old one I can contribute here, but no promises as it hasn't been tested in well over a decade!).

uNQnRVU.jpg

If there's a favorite sprite from the series that you'd like to share as part of this, it certainly wouldn't hurt!

EMlLOxf.gif

jerry1594

Merry Christmas peeps. I already own that game about 3 times and I highly recommend it. Amazing backgrounds, music and a fun neutral game.

I have not played a game from the series, despite being a big Street Fighter and MvC fan. It always looked cool but none of my friends were into it. I hope whoever gets it enjoys it!

J3o7J5e.jpg

Dammit. I really wanted to play Christmas Nights today, but my Saturn and games are all packed up. I've moved in the couple days after Christmas for the last two years. :(

Merry X-MAS, Saturn GAF!
It's a little later than I wanted, but I've brought a present to give away: a brand new copy of Vampire Hunter!

To get it, all you need to do is persuade us as to why it should go to your home! The only condition is that it be new to you, as this is meant to be opened up and played. It's a fantastic game that I hope can deliver a little bit of joy to someone else, too. You will of course need a Japanese Saturn to play, or at least have a region free cart (I might have an old one I can contribute here, but no promises as it hasn't been tested in well over a decade!).

uNQnRVU.jpg

If there's a favorite sprite from the series that you'd like to share as part of this, it certainly wouldn't hurt!

EMlLOxf.gif

I'll try it if available still? I like the Street Fight series "90's version mainly", but never played that. I collect Saturn games and keep my gaming room clean and in order, with a humidifier too lol.

Good luck peeps

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Nice giveaway! I've never played it but I'm new to the Saturn and love fighting games. I'm actually planning on recording my first playthroughs of my Saturn titles and putting them on YouTube so people can see how bad at games I am while enjoying it. xP

Here was one of my MvC2 mains. :)
latest

Teknoman

Merry X-MAS, Saturn GAF!

uNQnRVU.jpg

EMlLOxf.gif

Count me in. I've always liked John Talbian's style

jontalbain-win3.gif

A martial arts practicing werewolf? Not to mention he seems like someone took inspiration (or the other way around) for the werewolves in Dracula X / Cornell from Castlevania LoD.

But even more so Hutzil. I mean the thing is some kinda ancient dogu/aztec robot...and i've always been into nazca lines and anything surrounding ancient cultures.

At any rate, i've always wanted to give the series a shot, but never really knew which iteration to jump in with. Thought it would have had a revival with Darkstalkers arent dead or whatever Ono was pushing back after SFIV and SF X T, but I guess that never amounted to anything? Think I saw the first arcade game once next to Red Earth, but didnt get to play either. The only real knowledge I have of the games are probably from old EGM guides, and MvC cameos.

jerry1594

Nice giveaway! I've never played it but I'm new to the Saturn and love fighting games. I'm actually planning on recording my first playthroughs of my Saturn titles and putting them on YouTube so people can see how bad at games I am while enjoying it. xP

Here was one of my MvC2 mains. :)
latest
She is introduced in the sequel Vampire Savior :p

IrishNinja

dreams dreams acapella really is one of my favorite christmas songs...i gotta sort out dreamcast DLC for next year, should be fun hearing it in station square (sonic adventure 1).

and i didn't exactly get what id've wanted, but im sure i can find someone to trade a new apple TV for shining force 3 if i look around enough, haha

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Merry X-MAS, Saturn GAF!

uNQnRVU.jpg

EMlLOxf.gif

Just got my first Saturn this yeah, so I have never been able to experience this and tons of other great games for the system, but I remember reading a preview for the first in the series back in 95 or something, and has always been intrigued by it. As a huge fan of Street Fighter and the SNK-games, it would be great to finally try out this series!

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
12436101_10153833230526465_96537479_n.jpg

I've had some serious bad luck today. I went to test out my new SS I got a few weeks ago. Turns out it won't even hold my disc. I do some research and I find that the spindle was pushed too far down. I see someone said to use some pliers and gently push it up. I did this with a pair and I scratched it. I get it up to where it needs to go and still no luck and it's probably because I damaged those metal balls. I ended up just buying another and maybe some day fixing this.

It pisses me off because why are the spindles so cheaply made? Why do they get pushed in to begin with?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I feel more likely the previous owner did not look after their systems.

One of the balls was already inside, so none of my disc actually snapped. Then I went to lift it up because I couldn't get a disc to stay where it was, so I didn't realize I could have gone from the lense either. It's busted up and it won't spin. I'll get a replacement and then hopefully buy a broken model down the road and replace the spindle.

I wasn't sure if that spindle was rotated in there or not. I had no idea it was just a metal rod.

Saturn Memories

Neo Member
12436101_10153833230526465_96537479_n.jpg

I've had some serious bad luck today. I went to test out my new SS I got a few weeks ago. Turns out it won't even hold my disc. I do some research and I find that the spindle was pushed too far down. I see someone said to use some pliers and gently push it up. I did this with a pair and I scratched it. I get it up to where it needs to go and still no luck and it's probably because I damaged those metal balls. I ended up just buying another and maybe some day fixing this.

It pisses me off because why are the spindles so cheaply made? Why do they get pushed in to begin with?

It looks like you just opened the CD-ROM drive and then tried to pull it up. You should actually remove the top of the Saturn's shell AND the top of the drive housing. Then get underneath the spindle and very lightly wiggle it up a tiny bit.

clem84

Gold Member
Quick question. I'm kinda new to the Saturn. Been meaning to get one for a long time.

I saw this auction on Ebay. Is the Action Replay included in the bundle enough to play all Japanese imports?

How about PAL games. Do you need a different Action Replay? Do they even work on a US Saturn?

Does anyone know if it's possible to have SSF display in a 16:9 fullscreen resolution but in a 4:3 aspect ratio? I'm looking to stream Saturn games on my NVIDIA Shield and I can't get a proper image.

Quick question. I'm kinda new to the Saturn. Been meaning to get one for a long time.

I saw this auction on Ebay. Is the Action Replay included in the bundle enough to play all Japanese imports?

How about PAL games. Do you need a different Action Replay? Do they even work on a US Saturn?

That cartridge is all you need to run imports. PAL games will work on a case-by-case basis, as far as I know.

Saturn Memories

Neo Member

If you want to play NTSC/NTSC-J games on a PAL system or vice-versa, you'll probably want a 50/60Hz switch mod. Otherwise, all you'll need is the AR.

Conezays

Happy holidays, folks!

Got some new Saturn goodies on the way for a good deal :)

Metal Black
Shienryu
Kingdom Grandprix
Salamander Deluxe Pack
Darius II

Not sure if Santa was nice enough for me to want to pull the trigger on Batsugun or Battle Garegga though :p Happy to hear of any more Saturn shmup recommendations; I've grabbed all the big ones so far. Any love for Layer Section 2?

Wereroku

Alright what is a good price for shining force 3 us complete. I ended up with some gift cards that will lower the price to a decent amount and I've wanted that game since I got the Saturn new.

Conezays

It's okay and should be cheap but not a patch on the original which is GOAT. In any case, if you want it and have a PSX pick up that version as the SS can't do transparencies and has more slowdown iirc.

Cheers man, I'll keep that in mind. Throwing Gunbird and Sonic Wings Special on the list as am able to grab both for $30 apiece.

Teknoman

Happy holidays, folks!

Got some new Saturn goodies on the way for a good deal :)

Metal Black
Shienryu
Kingdom Grandprix
Salamander Deluxe Pack

Darius II

Not sure if Santa was nice enough for me to want to pull the trigger on Batsugun or Battle Garegga though :p Happy to hear of any more Saturn shmup recommendations; I've grabbed all the big ones so far. Any love for Layer Section 2?

Cant speak on the others, but those 3 are awesome.

Top Bottom