• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Galdelico

So what did you two think of the q-tip strategy? Any good?

Just tried the q-tip.

It doesn't even fit...

To be honest, I don't know if it's because my Saturn was new, when I bought it (talking about more than a decade ago), and I've never really messed around too much with the cart slot, but the AR Plus fits in there no problem. It doesn't move/wobble, and the contacts feel pretty solid. Never had a single 'detection' issue, and each time I fire up my Saturn, it regularly boots to the AR Plus splash screen.

Once again, I'm using a Japanese white Saturn with a later AR Plus model. Maybe the same slot is somewhat different in the US/PAL consoles, or the earlier Action Replay carts are slightly smaller?

Ramune

I bought my Saturn used as welll ('98) and while there were some hiccups, and went with the ST Key initially....it takes my AR+ and the save cart with no problems. The AR+ stays in there though for the most part.

Btw, what's the situation on Saturn emulators? I'm....interested as I want to stream some games, but my DS4 (using DS4Windows and the 360 controller drivers) aren't detected in SSF (in fact I get a tiny blank box when I'm configuring my controls), and it won't recognize my ripped disc image (DAEMON Tools Lite). Using what appears to be the latest SSF, the bios works, just trying to figure out a few things...

Galdelico

anyone see Silhouette Mirage about for $40 or less? holla!
I don't know what's the consensus about this game, especially compared to Treasure's greatest titles, but I love it so much. The pace, the not-too-gimmicky game mechanics (that's how it feels to me, at least... It has some incredible boss battles), those gorgeous 2D graphics... It's easily one of my all time favourite games on the Saturn.

MikeMyers

Don't own it never played it.

TdNYRT6.gif

Get on that sir. It's a great gift to Sega fans, even features Sonic in his 3D platforming debut!

TeaJay

I've been catching up on my Saturn purchases now that I got my system back. I'm glad I forked up some cash for Keio flying squadron 2 (got PAL version from a friend not-cheap but still less than market price), since it's a really fun game. Also Astal managed to surprise me a bit with its atmosphere, great graphics and very emotional soundtrack. Also aforementioned Gunbird seems a lot of fun.

Also I found out that I suck at Saturn Rockman games. I can clear the NES ones without too much trouble, and X & X2 as well - X3 is harder for me.

One of the biggest problems on Rockman 8 and X4 are the controls. I can't use the Saturn pad effectively to dash-jump and charge a shot with just my thumb, and I end up pressing the buttons individually on my index, middle and ring fingers, which is not ideal. Maybe I'm just bad, but as much as the Saturn pad gets praise, I can't get the Rockman games to work on it.

IrishNinja

net link, then sit on it for a few decades

damn, i think this was the era i was passing on saturn....that model 2 with those 3 free awesome games was so much better, nevermind the controller!

MikeMyers

Whoops, didn't see the Championship there.

I guess I'd go for the Saturn w/ 3 free games, another controller, and Nights with my budget.

A Saturn, Sonic 3D and NiGHTS.

I am still crazy into Sonic at this point, so I gotta have both his game and the new game from the guys who made him. Honestly, I love Sonic 3D in spite of the myriad legitimate complaints levied at it, so this would not have ended poorly for me.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Rough picking. I hate nights, but I do like the controller. Virtua Cop would be nice but no gun. Virtual On is good. In Your House is TERRIBLE. I don't remember anything good about NBA JAM Extreme. I don't like UMK3 that much but you could get it and another controller for the best deal out of the group.

jerry1594

Any cool experimental or avant-garde you guys have played on Saturn? I was thinking about it earlier, how the time and place these games were coming out some of the weirder ones could offer an interesting perspective. Some artist said it well, how 90s Asian media has been hypercontextualized now in the 2010s.
Anyway I feel like I'm rambling, basically have you played any Saturn games that have made you think? Beyond straight up telling you everything (or nothing like a 90s anime)

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's pretty amazing that CD games were going for 60 in 1996. I guess prices didn't fall back to 50 as standard until 1997.

MikeMyers

I prefer the 16-bit version of UMK3, since it replaced Sheeva with Rain & Noob Saibot, who were the only MK3 generation characters I liked besides Nightwolf.

I had the WWF game that played like Mortal Kombat for the PS1. I'd probably find it awful if I played it now.

I prefer the 16-bit version of UMK3, since it replaced Sheeva with Rain & Noob Saibot, who were the only MK3 generation characters I liked besides Nightwolf.

I had the WWF game that played like Mortal Kombat for the PS1. I'd probably find it awful if I played it now.

WWF WrestleMania: The Arcade Game from Midway? Or are you referring to WWF In Your House, which is shown in the ad? Or another one?

I kinda wanted to get the Midway game not long ago, even though I don't like wrestling...but I do love Midway arcade games, and I recall hearing it was pretty good.

I don't remember anything good about NBA JAM Extreme.
what was different about NBA Jam Extreme

It was the first NBA Jam game Acclaim did on their own after they got the exclusive rights to use the name. They made a few games, and I hear they pretty much all suck. Most of them were more simulation than arcade after Extreme. Apparently the PlayStation 2/Xbox NBA Jam game Acclaim did wasn't too bad, though, but I never played it myself.

But yeah, if it says NBA Jam and Midway or EA didn't do it, it's probably not worth playing. Midway's NBA Hangtime and NBA Showtime were the only true sequels. Then EA's reboot is great, too. The Midway and EA games are the only ones that the series creator, Mark Turmell, worked on.

Looking it up, it appears I own WWF WrestleMania: The Arcade Game, which is apparently the predecessor to In Your House.

It's kinda funny to call it predecessor, since both games were done by different companies...though Midway's WrestleMania: The Arcade was actually ported to home consoles by the developers of In Your House, Sculptured Software. They also made NBA Jam Extreme. Both terrible successors to Midway arcade games...thanks, Acclaim!

MikeMyers

Well, I was going of what I was reading on Wikipedia.

Sometimes the sequel of a game will be developed by another team. Kind of like last gen, Dimps developed the latest Street Fighter game, despite that particular title's previous installments being developed by Arika.

Arika only did the Street Fighter EX games. But yes, I'm aware that sequels can be done by different teams...though, in Street Fighter's case, they're all still Capcom games in a series they created, not based on some non-video game license.

Anyway, Midway did that first WWF WrestleMania: The Arcade Game all by themselves, and Acclaim and Sculptured Software did WWF In Your House. Midway had nothing to do with the latter, so it's a bit weird to really say they're part of the same series, especially since it's a licensed game...though, yes, I guess it was Acclaim's idea of a sequel after they did the home versions of Midway's game. A sequel but not really a sequel.

Any cool experimental or avant-garde you guys have played on Saturn? I was thinking about it earlier, how the time and place these games were coming out some of the weirder ones could offer an interesting perspective. Some artist said it well, how 90s Asian media has been hypercontextualized now in the 2010s.
Anyway I feel like I'm rambling, basically have you played any Saturn games that have made you think? Beyond straight up telling you everything (or nothing like a 90s anime)

Astal comes to mind, it's very 2D but they did some really nice perspectives and it has great art style.

have you tried kenji eno's games

gelf

I just can't look past that model 1 joypad, makes it all less appealing. But I'd go for Virtua Cop 2 and Virtual On there.

piggychan

I don't know what's the consensus about this game, especially compared to Treasure's greatest titles, but I love it so much. The pace, the not-too-gimmicky game mechanics (that's how it feels to me, at least... It has some incredible boss battles), those gorgeous 2D graphics... It's easily one of my all time favourite games on the Saturn.

I really love it too. Once you spend some time learning it's system, Has great music, sharp controls, technically impressive levels and almost full screen FMV

Hypothetically question - if the Saturn received ports of Street Fighter EX Plus (Plus Alpha was the home upgrade, but let's say the Saturn port got the extra characters) and Street Fighter III: 2nd Impact (no one cares about NG), which one would have been more arcade perfect?

MikeMyers

Hypothetically question - if the Saturn received ports of Street Fighter EX Plus (Plus Alpha was the home upgrade, but let's say the Saturn port got the extra characters) and Street Fighter III: 2nd Impact (no one cares about NG), which one would have been more arcade perfect?

I think EX Plus was being developed for the Saturn at one point, since Sega Saturn Magazine went over it once and even had an interview with the developer.

Street Fighter III was apparently in development for the Saturn according to rumors.The only "proof" I've seen is a magazine scan of a Bernie Stolar interview where it's mentioned that Street Fighter III was one of the most anticipated upcoming Saturn games, but I'm not sure if that really holds any real weight.

To answer your question, a lot of 3D fighting games that got ported to the Saturn sacrificed polygons backgrounds for a flat texture. Here is an example. I think something similar would probably happen to the EX games.

2nd Impact was a pure 2D game, so I think Saturn would be able to pull it off, especially if it used the RAM Cart. Notably, I've seen a lot of people say the Saturn Alpha 3 port that used the RAM Cart was better than the Dreamcast port.

Of course, this is just my opinion. I'm not a developer and haven't developed before so it's possible I could be wrong.

Top Bottom