• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

So, I ordered a mini Framemeister.

Will I need this cable?
https://solarisjapan.com/products/pro-rgb-cable-retromeister-for-sega-saturn

Will that work for both Japanese and US Saturn?
Also, is this only for RGB displays?
Basically, do I need this for a modern (US) HDMI display?

the RGB adapter comes with the Framemeister, I use that with the original Saturn RGB cable (japan), considering both JP and US use the NTSC standard I suppose thare are no problems, the only problem with the Framemeister and RGB is for PAL version: the RGB cable has different pin set so it's not compatible with the upscaler (you need a cable converter afaik)

I use this configuration on a LG 27" IPS monitor hooked up to the Framemeister

Super Tempo
xrgb_2.jpg

Lunar
lunar_scan.jpg

Teknoman

Whats with Vampire Hunter having everyone(?) on the character select screen not at default colors? Or for that matter, how do you pick the default color for your character? I always have that problem in Capcom fighters once they start introducing extra colors.

Messing around with the Appendix menu, its kinda strange that they would make full animation a hidden option. That being said, game is really fun, and maybe one of the few 2D fighters with a downed attack for enemies?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Whats with Vampire Hunter having everyone(?) on the character select screen not at default colors? Or for that matter, how do you pick the default color for your character? I always have that problem in Capcom fighters once they start introducing extra colors.

Messing around with the Appendix menu, its kinda strange that they would make full animation a hidden option. That being said, game is really fun, and maybe one of the few 2D fighters with a downed attack for enemies?

Usually pressing L. Punch is the default color in Capcom games from what I've seen.

the RGB adapter comes with the Framemeister, I use that with the original Saturn RGB cable (japan), considering both JP and US use the NTSC standard I suppose thare are no problems, the only problem with the Framemeister and RGB is for PAL version: the RGB cable has different pin set so it's not compatible with the upscaler (you need a cable converter afaik)

I use this configuration on a LG 27" IPS monitor hooked up to the Framemeister

Thanks, looks really nice! I'm going to test out a few displays I have for optimal low latency once I get the XRGB mini.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.

Like InfiniteNine said, Light Punch is usually what you press to get the default color.

Extra animation options might be related to censorship (the arcade versions of some of the Darkstalkers games had a toggle to turn the more violent animations on or off) or it could be something else.

Down attacks / OTG attacks are also common in the Marvel vs. Capcom series, although the way they function can vary a lot between games.

Galdelico

I don't remember if it's the same thing with the Saturn version, but on PS2 Darkstalkers Collection, the way you select the original Vampire colors in Vampire Hunter - for everyone but the two new entries - is by pressing the heavy kick button (and yeah, VH is a bit like Super Street Fighter II X, whereas the default colors got changed for everyone, except the new chararacter... If you notice, both Donovan and Lei Lei still have their 1P palette on light punch).

And about the full animations option: it's hidden because you can't actually enable them in the entire game, but only in versus mirror matches (once again, I can't remember now, but I believe the intro and the character select screen have full arcade animations too).

So my Japanese (gray) Saturn came in today. Surprisingly fast too!
I open up the box to see that the only shock dampening material used is newspaper in a tiny box....

Sure enough after setting it up, it powers on but there is no Saturn boot sequence, nor is the disc spinning. Got it from ebay and this is the first time I've actually received a non functioning item.

Filled out a return request so I hope I'm able to get a full refund. I guess ebay can step in if the seller refuses to comply right?

ACESmkII

I open up the box to see that the only shock dampening material used is newspaper in a tiny box....

Sure enough after setting it up, it powers on but there is no Saturn boot sequence, nor is the disc spinning. Got it from ebay and this is the first time I've actually received a non functioning item.

Filled out a return request so I hope I'm able to get a full refund. I guess ebay can step in if the seller refuses to comply right?

Very unfortunate that you did receive the package in a timely matter but the system was not powering on. It was almost certainly damaged during shipping.

Conezays

Sorry to hear that, that's a huge bummer. Generally you should be okay with regards to Ebay; they've always been helpful in my experience. Was there damage to the outside of the box? As you've probably done, take some decent photos of everything.

Sorry to hear that, that's a huge bummer. Generally you should be okay with regards to Ebay; they've always been helpful in my experience. Was there damage to the outside of the box? As you've probably done, take some decent photos of everything.

No visible damage on the outside. It was just pretty much sitting loose in a generic box with nothing but newspaper. There's actually nothing to take a picture of because the damage is all on the inside of the console. Most likely from getting shook up during transit.

I already spoke with the seller though and I'm returning it.

Conezays

No visible damage on the outside. It was just pretty much sitting loose in a generic box with nothing but newspaper. There's actually nothing to take a picture of because the damage is all on the inside of the console. Most likely from getting shook up during transit.

Too bad about the Saturn but glad it worked out.

Galdelico

Glad you're sorting everything out.
It's genuinely beyond me how some people on eBay still bother selling certain items - I mean, a Japanese SEGA Saturn is not something you'd expect to sell to your average joe, along with a used Assassin's Creed and some random FIFA game - when they prove themselves to be utterly incompetent to even send them off properly.

Unrequested suggestion: never give anything for granted when you buy on eBay. No matter if the seller's got a strong, positive feedback or not, don't be afraid of asking/suggesting the way to go for the most basic procedures (such as how to pack a console), even at the cost of coming off as a nitpicky bastard.

Dazzyman

I sold my shmup collection 4yrs ago when I got married and money was tight. Now I'm in a stable financial position I've started my collection again. Picked up my all time fav shmup battle garraga for a bargain of £103 and also got Batsugun, kingdom grand prix, paradius. On its way I've got the thunderforce gold packs, Darius gaiden, don pachi and thunderforce v. All in all not a bad restart.

I've just not been well enough to game on ps4 and xbox1 so quick burst shmups with no thinking are the way to go.

Also just bought my first pcengine with cdrom drive and some shmups.

Dazzy

Gyrian

Congrats on the pickups! Fantastic stuff all around.

I also agree that there's some interesting newfound appreciation for what a play session feels like with these games vs. the typical current gen experience. I really appreciate that I can get a lot joy out of these games that feels complete and uncompromising without having to devote 40 hours just to run a single playthrough.

Dazzyman

I think as long as u play a shmup for 1 credit only they will last a lifetime. There's a lot of people that just don't get the genre and think a 15min game that u credit feed is boring. I wish all shmups only defaulted to 1 credit

I don't, because I'm not a huge fan of games with no continues.

I actually don't find credit-feeding games boring? I won't claim it makes me skilled to be able to beat a game while doing so, of course (claims like that do tend to require 1CCing), but I like being able to see all of a game, even if I'm struggling with it - and if I like it, subsequently revisiting it repeatedly to get better at it.

I think as long as u play a shmup for 1 credit only they will last a lifetime. There's a lot of people that just don't get the genre and think a 15min game that u credit feed is boring. I wish all shmups only defaulted to 1 credit
Then I would never finish any shmup to completion. It's bad enough some of them strip you down to nothing when you die,(Hellfire) which make it damn near impossible & no credit continue on top of that? Bah!

Dazzyman

Then I would never finish any shmup to completion. It's bad enough some of them strip you down to nothing when you die,(Hellfire) which make it damn near impossible & no credit continue on top of that? Bah!

I play for score attack so 1cc is a must. I like the way 360 shmups have specific modes for scoreboard and score attack. I've not seen any of my shmups to the end nearest I've got is to the last level on battle garraga and raiden fighters series all 1cc

Timu

I'll be doing some shumps in 1 credit for youtube playthroughs...but I wonder about the rest!
Still think the fair balance is 3 continues and the ability to earn extras. Or at least extra lives.
This as well.

Gyrian

For what it's worth, I enjoy having the flexibility. I like when some of these games set up separate modes where one reflects the arcade 100% while another makes a few tweaks geared towards the home experience. I'll never 1CC (or many CC) clear some of them, so it's nice to still have a decent shot at seeing most of what they have to offer, if you choose to.

Dazzyman

Been on a spending spree,bought a virtua stick, street fighter zero 1,2 and 3 (how bloody expensive is 3!) capcom collection is it 2 for ghosts and goblins, Darius gaiden and souky o. Now I'm skint for 2months but its been worth it as its only what if spend on next gen and at moment never play them as there too time intensive for my Neuro and heart condition at moment :(

I hate Seth in sfiv so I'm glad to go back to my fav street fighters! Really exited to get an arcade stick as never had one on the Saturn, should improve my shmup action no end :)

Glad you're sorting everything out.
It's genuinely beyond me how some people on eBay still bother selling certain items - I mean, a Japanese SEGA Saturn is not something you'd expect to sell to your average joe, along with a used Assassin's Creed and some random FIFA game - when they prove themselves to be utterly incompetent to even send them off properly.

Unrequested suggestion: never give anything for granted when you buy on eBay. No matter if the seller's got a strong, positive feedback or not, don't be afraid of asking/suggesting the way to go for the most basic procedures (such as how to pack a console), even at the cost of coming out as nitpicky bastard.

Hey, I have no issue with coming off as nitpicky when it comes to this niche of gaming, lol. I will take that advice, gladly.

I've been thinking about picking up a Sega Saturn again recently...I've been kicking myself for so long for selling my Saturn collection years ago, but I'm never gonna be able to afford getting US versions of games with the shitty inflation.

Japanese games do seem to be much more reasonable...if I wanted to play Japanese games on a US saturn, what's the easiest and cheapest way to go about it?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I've been thinking about picking up a Sega Saturn again recently...I've been kicking myself for so long for selling my Saturn collection years ago, but I'm never gonna be able to afford getting US versions of games with the shitty inflation.

Japanese games do seem to be much more reasonable...if I wanted to play Japanese games on a US saturn, what's the easiest and cheapest way to go about it?

Buy an Action Replay pretty much.

MikeMyers

You'd need the Action Replay 4M Plus to bypass the region-lock. Also serves as a memory card. They usually go for around $30 on amazon.

Having trouble getting SSF to even load.

I'm using SSF_012_beta_R4 on Windows 10 but as soon as I boot it up, I receive this error message:

IDirectInput8::CreateDevice() error.
File: ./Directinput.cpp
Line: 402
Function: DirectInput::Initialize

Any ideas?

TeaJay

Received my near mint HSS-0136 from Japan yesterday. Works great but the stick itself could use a good lubing as its a bit stiff.

I've been wanting to get this stick for a while now. I hear it's the best for Saturn unless you want to start building your own. Good purchase for ~50 €?

Gyrian

I've been wanting to get this stick for a while now. I hear it's the best for Saturn unless you want to start building your own. Good purchase for ~50 €?

@ 50€ total, I'd say so; it's a fantastic stick and might even be my favorite out of the ones I've tried on Saturn.
The only thing I don't outright love are the buttons, I'd personally prefer something a bit clickier.
This stick is why I was asking about the total control 3 earlier, btw. It will be great to try on the DC, too!

Conezays

With regards to shmup difficulty, most of them are pretty brutal :p One of the reasons I've enjoyed the Psyiko stuff on the Saturn is their wide array of difficulties. The easiest difficulty: 1 out of 8, being Monkey Mode (lol), is legitimately manageable for relative newcomers. I think it gives the player a nice sense of progression as they get better and better at the game and up the difficulty. It's not the only game that has that many difficulties, but stuff like Soukyu Gurentai is definitely very tough to 1cc on its easiest difficulty mode IMO without playing it lots.

Having a blast trying to make it to the end of 1942 on one continue; so far I'm unsuccessful, but 32 levels is tough!

The early iteration of the HSS-0136 stick has a Seimitsu LS-56 lever. I don't know if there is a way to tell which version you have from external factors, but its always nice seeing arcade parts in consumer sticks that old.

I don't, because I'm not a huge fan of games with no continues.

I actually don't find credit-feeding games boring? I won't claim it makes me skilled to be able to beat a game while doing so, of course (claims like that do tend to require 1CCing), but I like being able to see all of a game, even if I'm struggling with it - and if I like it, subsequently revisiting it repeatedly to get better at it.

Yeah I feel this same way. I'll play a shmup or similar over and over again. So times I want to see how far I can go on 1 credit, other times I want to see the entire game, and personally I think that should be my choice.

Tain

Infinite continues should be an option in home ports of arcade games. They're present in the arcade original, after all, if you have infinite cash or greater access to the hardware.

Infinite continues never, ever should have become the default, though. It's a matter of communication. Stick it in the options in the same place that lets you crank up extra lives and turn down the difficulty and all that. This keeps it clear that the game is reasonably beatable without using them while also letting people that want to use them dig in and change the option.

Timu

Infinite continues should be an option in home ports of arcade games. They're present in the arcade original, after all, if you have infinite cash or greater access to the hardware.

Infinite continues never, ever should have become the default, though. It's a matter of communication. Stick it in the options in the same place that lets you crank up extra lives and turn down the difficulty and all that. This keeps it clear that the game is reasonably beatable without using them while also letting people that want to use them dig in and change the option.
While there are many arcade games you can beat in 1CC, there are some that are impossible to 1CC without altering the options since they were designed to take your money away even on default difficulty. And some arcade games can't be 1CC at all(looking at you US Crime Fighters and Rampage World Tour).

Still though, 1CC is the way to go for most games.

Tain

While there are many arcade games you can beat in 1CC, there are some that are impossible to 1CC without altering the options since they were designed to take your money away even on default difficulty. And some arcade games can't be 1CC at all(looking at you US Crime Fighters and Rampage World Tour).

Still though, 1CC is the way to go for most games.

I should have specified Japanese games. There are probably some exceptions among Japanese games, but they're so rare that I couldn't really name any. Even games like Makaimura make me feel like I'm making tangible progress, even if they seem insanely daunting. It's easier to find US-developed games (or international releases of Japanese games) where developers had seemingly no interest in making their games learnable and clearable.

Khaz

I should have specified Japanese games. There are probably some exceptions among Japanese games, but they're so rare that I couldn't really name any. Even games like Makaimura make me feel like I'm making tangible progress, even if they seem insanely daunting. It's easier to find US-developed games (or international releases of Japanese games) where developers had seemingly no interest in making their games learnable and clearable.

It's like "learning curve", "fair gameplay" are foreign words for western devs. In the 80s and 90s because they were nigh unplayable thanks to shit controls and/or brutal difficulty, in the 2000s because everything became a film where you pressed buttons to breeze through the game and get to the next cutscene.

ACESmkII

That is a really good deal. I got lucky and got mine complete with box for about $44.00 but Yeah, it is an excellent arcade stick. I had to open it and apply some grease as it was a little dry though.

The early iteration of the HSS-0136 stick has a Seimitsu LS-56 lever. I don't know if there is a way to tell which version you have from external factors, but its always nice seeing arcade parts in consumer sticks that old.

After opening and cleaning mine, I believe I have the later revision as the stick in it was a manufactured by ascii.

vetrox

That is a really good deal. I got lucky and got mine complete with box for about $44.00 but Yeah, it is an excellent arcade stick. I had to open it and apply some grease as it was a little dry though.

After opening and cleaning mine, I believe I have the later revision as the stick in it was a manufactured by ascii.

I really need to fix mine up. I purchased one last year but haven't touched it after realizing it needed some work. What grease did you use? I have some lithium and thought I'd shove some in the stick and buttons.

Timu

My bias would tell me that any game that's impossible to 1CC is a shit game, honestly.
Crime Fighters is definitely a shit game. The hit detection is the worst of any game out there, half the time your moves got through the enemies, the bosses are cheap, your health drains automatically as you play even if you don't get hit by anything as it acts like a timer(no lie), and you have to beat the game twice to see the ending...a real quarter muncher right there.

Rampage World Tour is mindless fun but repetitive and it's hard to avoid get shot by everything since you're a big target and there aren't enough lives to get through it without losing all of them.

I love Japanese arcade games since I 1CC them easier than US ones(like Simpsons, Mystic Warriors, Metamorphic Force, X-Men, etc.).=p

Top Bottom